Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby pugboy » April 18th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Some tilemen does mop with muriatic acid to clean
And use a hilti or chipping hammer to score/jag up the surface

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » April 19th, 2018, 10:19 am

worksux101 wrote:Guys what’s the average cost psf to build a flat house?

Also, how many feet above road level would you suggest backfilling? And the cost to backfill a lot or so?
What sizing usually and slope

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » April 19th, 2018, 9:21 pm

urbandilema wrote:

Also, how many feet above road level would you suggest backfilling? And the cost to backfill a lot or so?

Flat land - looking to go about 2 feet above road level. House about 2000 sq ft.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » April 20th, 2018, 6:34 am

worksux101 wrote:
urbandilema wrote:

Flat land - looking to go about 2 feet above road level. House about 2000 sq ft.

Why are you filling the land? Does it flood in the area or does the land itself have drainage issues? If it does not flood and you don't have drainage issues, it does not make technical sense to fill the land.

And if you do still want to fill the land for aesthetic reasons, then you need to ensure that the fill is properly compacted so you don't have foundation or floor slab settlement issues over time. There are a fair amount of people who call themselves builders who don't know anything about the importance of properly compacting the fill within the structure limits.

babygirl
Street 2NR

Postby babygirl » April 20th, 2018, 9:49 am

Anyone knows cost to build a pool? Cost per square foot that is.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 20th, 2018, 4:30 pm

babygirl wrote:Anyone knows cost to build a pool? Cost per square foot that is.

It's difficult to give an estimate without surveying the property since the the access, soil, slope/grade, location, plumbing as well as materials used, type of lining, decking, pumps, hardware, shape, depth etc can vary the cost significantly. You'd have to get a site visit done from a few contractors to get an estimate.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 20th, 2018, 5:17 pm

I hear a certain man have so much money ,he tell them to build it and give him the price when they finish. Call name I will whistle.
Last edited by rspann on April 20th, 2018, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » April 20th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
worksux101 wrote:
urbandilema wrote:

Why are you filling the land? Does it flood in the area or does the land itself have drainage issues? If it does not flood and you don't have drainage issues, it does not make technical sense to fill the land.

And if you do still want to fill the land for aesthetic reasons, then you need to ensure that the fill is properly compacted so you don't have foundation or floor slab settlement issues over time. There are a fair amount of people who call themselves builders who don't know anything about the importance of properly compacting the fill within the structure limits.

Drainage issues.
And yes, I’ve been advised re: compacting every 2-3 inches I raise. Thanks much for the advice though!

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 20th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Or , build the foundation a little higher ,and then fill around. That way the house is solid and you solve the drainage problem.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » April 21st, 2018, 3:38 pm

rspann wrote:Or , build the foundation a little higher ,and then fill around. That way the house is solid and you solve the drainage problem.

Will pass on. Thanks.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » April 21st, 2018, 10:08 pm

worksux101 wrote:
rspann wrote:Or , build the foundation a little higher ,and then fill around. That way the house is solid and you solve the drainage problem.

Will pass on. Thanks.

Keep in mind that the max height of the foundation fill should not exceed 900 mm.

zagie
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zagie » April 22nd, 2018, 11:48 am

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=726172 need some info guys thanks

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » April 22nd, 2018, 9:20 pm

Hey how do you install tiles on a bathroom wall? I cant see the thinset bonding so quickly. Is there some special adhesive to use in this case?

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » April 22nd, 2018, 9:31 pm

eitech wrote:Hey how do you install tiles on a bathroom wall? I cant see the thinset bonding so quickly. Is there some special adhesive to use in this case?
Will inquire for u...but my last time I tiled my bathroom the work man did the walls

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2018, 9:36 pm

eitech wrote:Hey how do you install tiles on a bathroom wall? I cant see the thinset bonding so quickly. Is there some special adhesive to use in this case?

That's how all walls are done.

babygirl
Street 2NR

Postby babygirl » April 23rd, 2018, 6:46 am

A lath is usually placed about 1 tike space off the ground using a level. Then wall tiled using the lath to rest on. The tiles wont lean forward, but it can slide down. This is what the lath prevents.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » April 23rd, 2018, 7:25 am

babygirl wrote:
A lath is usually placed about 1 tike space off the ground using a level. Then wall tiled using the lath to rest on. The tiles wont lean forward, but it can slide down. This is what the lath prevents.

Ohor i see. I did notice something at the edges. The 4 tiles i installing going above a door way. Same principal i guess. Maybe a gypsum lath with potty could be a good support

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » April 23rd, 2018, 7:46 am

Anyone used the rock hard cement as yet? Going to start a project was looking at using it to try a cheaper reliable cement

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » April 23rd, 2018, 7:56 am

konartis wrote:Anyone used the rock hard cement as yet? Going to start a project was looking at using it to try a cheaper reliable cement
I have and no problems so far. I find it stays fresher longer than the other brand.

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » April 23rd, 2018, 8:27 am

jl6106 wrote:
konartis wrote:Anyone used the rock hard cement as yet? Going to start a project was looking at using it to try a cheaper reliable cement
I have and no problems so far. I find it stays fresher longer than the other brand.

Was I used in construction? Heard that u use less sand/gravel also and draws quicker. Was looking for some personal experiences using it

stang
3NE 2NR for life

Postby stang » April 23rd, 2018, 9:55 am

Looking for recommendations for moulding. A simple 6x4 or 6x6 block design for the bottom and possibly the top of the windows.
Thanks

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » April 28th, 2018, 8:45 am

What can i use to fill those pesky chips and cracks in terrazzo flooring?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 28th, 2018, 1:12 pm

eitech wrote:What can i use to fill those pesky chips and cracks in terrazzo flooring?

It's called "rendering". The floor has to be striped of all wax , grime etc. A thin slurry or slush is mixed ,cement and water and spread over the damaged areas with a spreader. The floor can then be sanded with a terazzo machine and it looks new again. I even saw the guy who works for me doing it with a grinder.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » April 28th, 2018, 2:24 pm

rspann wrote:
eitech wrote:What can i use to fill those pesky chips and cracks in terrazzo flooring?

It's called "rendering". The floor has to be striped of all wax , grime etc. A thin slurry or slush is mixed ,cement and water and spread over the damaged areas with a spreader. The floor can then be sanded with a terazzo machine and it looks new again. I even saw the guy who works for me doing it with a grinder.

The floor was already cleaned and polished. But had some cracks still so i wanted to know what i can use to fill dem. Similar to using potty on walls.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 28th, 2018, 4:09 pm

As long as it's polished , it won't take repairs. I see where Pugboy said they mop with acid to clean it properly. You need the cement slush to get in all the cracks and holes and adhere properly.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » May 2nd, 2018, 5:28 pm

So got tru with my land.. anyone can recommend a good surveyor I want to just make sure I know where my bounds are on the land and because I want to Fence the area also

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 2nd, 2018, 7:00 pm

urbandilema wrote:So got tru with my land.. anyone can recommend a good surveyor I want to just make sure I know where my bounds are on the land and because I want to Fence the area also

where you located?

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » May 3rd, 2018, 2:05 am

ProtonPowder wrote:
urbandilema wrote:So got tru with my land.. anyone can recommend a good surveyor I want to just make sure I know where my bounds are on the land and because I want to Fence the area also

where you located?
San Fernando...land is located near debe

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 3rd, 2018, 7:10 am

Then probably L&S or somebody else that located in Sando. The ones that advertising every flipping where.

Just make sure that the surveyor that signing off was actually there in the field, not just sending out a young technician to do he wuk. You know how these things does be. Any sort of surveyor is supposed to be on site as the super, overseeing the technicians

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » May 3rd, 2018, 1:25 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:Then probably L&S or somebody else that located in Sando. The ones that advertising every flipping where.

Just make sure that the surveyor that signing off was actually there in the field, not just sending out a young technician to do he wuk. You know how these things does be. Any sort of surveyor is supposed to be on site as the super, overseeing the technicians
Thanks...I here of the company...but what price would be incured..it just to identify my boundary and lot is between two homes

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”