Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 26th, 2018, 7:12 am

adnj wrote:You will need to know what should be done and how it should be done throughout the construction process.

The construction methods should meet or exceed the standards and codes that are published for T&T.

There is quite a bit that a person would need to know.

For the structure:
Foundations of the proper depth and dimension.
Steel rebar of the proper size and configuration.
Concrete of the proper consistency and slump.
Columns and walls properly placed and interconnected.
Floors and walls of the proper thickness and reinforcement.
Staircases of the proper slope and treader depth.
Doorways of the proper size and location.
Lintels properly placed and interconnected.
Conduits and service entrances of the proper size and location.

There would be quite a bit more to keep an eye on when you consider services, roofing, fit-out and civil works.

Then just keep an eye on the project along the way.

Again the Trinidad and Tobago standard : guide to the design and construction of small buildings TTS 599: 2006 can provide guidance on all of the above. DO NOT go hire one of those persons who advertise "Draw House Plans" without insisting that it is done in accordance with this design guide. Ensure that the building plans include a reinforcing steel bar bending schedule which gives the size and dimensions of every piece of reinforcing steel that goes into the structure. Ensuring that there is proper lap/splice/anchorage lengths in reinforcing steel is very important.

Spend the money to have a registered engineer review the designs if you need assistance to verify that the design followed this guide (this should cost between $2k and $4k depending on the size of the structure and experience of the engineer).

Spend the money to have an independent person who is experienced with reading engineering design drawings (a registered civil engineer or experienced civil engineering technician) review the installation of the reinforcing steel and formwork construction before concrete pours.

Allocate some money for quality control. Test the compaction of fill placed below slabs to ensure that the fill does not settle and cause cracks in the floor slab. Test the compressive strength of the concrete to ensure that it meets the compressive strength required by the design.

Insist that the builder uses a concrete vibrator to consolidate the concrete in beams, columns and slabs.

Do not improve the workability of readymix concrete with the addition of water. If the concrete mix is too stiff, use a chemical admixture (plasticiser) to improve the workability. Readymix concrete trucks usually have this product on board the truck.

Do not hire these builders on a word of mouth agreement. Enter into a proper written contract. You can use the Handyman Contract from the Consumer Affairs Division as a guide for the wording of your contract with your builder.

Insist on a written warranty for the construction of the building, say, one year after the completion of construction (but to be fair to the builder, the building has to be properly designed).

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 26th, 2018, 11:39 am

Total ED&I (engineering, design and inspection), as a percentage of building construction costs, is typically between 12% and 25% for a solidly built project.

It may not be just "bad builders" putting up poor structures. It may be owners trying to cut costs to the point that honest mistakes are not caught in time for the errors to be corrected.

Rory Phoulorie wrote:Again the Trinidad and Tobago standard : guide to the design and construction of small buildings TTS 599: 2006 can provide guidance on all of the above. DO NOT go hire one of those persons who advertise "Draw House Plans" without insisting that it is done in accordance with this design guide. Ensure that the building plans include a reinforcing steel bar bending schedule which gives the size and dimensions of every piece of reinforcing steel that goes into the structure. Ensuring that there is proper lap/splice/anchorage lengths in reinforcing steel is very important.

Spend the money to have a registered engineer review the designs if you need assistance to verify that the design followed this guide (this should cost between $2k and $4k depending on the size of the structure and experience of the engineer).

Spend the money to have an independent person who is experienced with reading engineering design drawings (a registered civil engineer or experienced civil engineering technician) review the installation of the reinforcing steel and formwork construction before concrete pours.

Allocate some money for quality control. Test the compaction of fill placed below slabs to ensure that the fill does not settle and cause cracks in the floor slab. Test the compressive strength of the concrete to ensure that it meets the compressive strength required by the design.

Insist that the builder uses a concrete vibrator to consolidate the concrete in beams, columns and slabs.

Do not improve the workability of readymix concrete with the addition of water. If the concrete mix is too stiff, use a chemical admixture (plasticiser) to improve the workability. Readymix concrete trucks usually have this product on board the truck.

Do not hire these builders on a word of mouth agreement. Enter into a proper written contract. You can use the Handyman Contract from the Consumer Affairs Division as a guide for the wording of your contract with your builder.

Insist on a written warranty for the construction of the building, say, one year after the completion of construction (but to be fair to the builder, the building has to be properly designed).

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 26th, 2018, 11:44 am

many "builders/contractors" now using complete crews of venezuelans
housing them out of town and they moving as one.
wonder how educated they are with engineering practices

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 26th, 2018, 11:53 am

The Venezuelans or the builders? ;)

I stopped at a local hardware, bought two bags of cement and two Venezuelans loaded the cement onto the truck.

We got to talking about a few things. One was a plumber and the other was a mechanical engineer.
pugboy wrote:many "builders/contractors" now using complete crews of venezuelans
housing them out of town and they moving as one.
wonder how educated they are with engineering practices

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 26th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Adnj and Rory are spot on with their information,as usual. This is the correct method that should be used to ensure your building is an investment and not a liability.

Lots of owners rely on builders who do not know what they are doing. They learned trade by working with older builders or being labourers and thinking they know enough to move on to taking jobs on their own. They don't know any theory , but put owners in problems by making them believe they know everything about construction. Couple this with the owner's lack of knowledge , trying to save money, and you have the recipe for disaster.
Even hiring a "big company" is no insurance that you won't have headaches. There are construction companies that only think about the profit and you end up in the same position, without your cash and a building full of problems.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 27th, 2018, 5:43 am

It's a shame so many builders mix concrete terribly to soup consistency.
Most often have the rebar placed incorrectly in concrete too.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 27th, 2018, 5:49 am

But it easier to mix when it sorf

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 27th, 2018, 7:01 am

pugboy wrote:It's a shame so many builders mix concrete terribly to soup consistency.
Most often have the rebar placed incorrectly in concrete too.

You mean like when they pouring the ground beams and the steel touching the dirt?

vtec-ghost
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vtec-ghost » August 27th, 2018, 11:35 pm

vtec-ghost wrote:average cost to build a wall - 68 feet and about 9 rows high. Plaster both sides. Thanks

wonder
Street 2NR

Postby wonder » August 28th, 2018, 9:30 am

Is there a stipulated Amt of feet that 1 has to go out wen renovating residential properties

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 29th, 2018, 3:45 am

Are you talking about setback from a property line?
wonder wrote:Is there a stipulated Amt of feet that 1 has to go out wen renovating residential properties

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » August 29th, 2018, 6:08 am

vtec-ghost wrote:
vtec-ghost wrote:average cost to build a wall - 68 feet and about 9 rows high. Plaster both sides. Thanks
Did you consider the precast walls from ceramic Trinidad? Check it on FB, I think is like $90 a sq ft

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 29th, 2018, 6:59 am

He could also explore the use of the Spancast precast wall system. Everything is locally made.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 29th, 2018, 7:34 am

nice, the builder needs to cast the posts with good alignment

wonder
Street 2NR

Postby wonder » August 29th, 2018, 2:18 pm

adnj wrote:Are you talking about setback from a property line?
wonder wrote:Is there a stipulated Amt of feet that 1 has to go out wen renovating residential properties

I hav a duplex but I want to extend both front An back

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 31st, 2018, 9:12 am

If you're doing an addition to an existing structure, how you build it is a function of what you have.

Adding a room or expanding a room involves changes to structure and room usage.

Those questions are best answered by speaking to an architect or someone with architectural skills.

There are requirements and guidelines on how close you can build to your property line, the location of a septic tank, adding electrical outlets and fixtures, etc.; not to mention structural requirements for hurricane, flood and earthquake damage resistance.

Most of that will help to protect you and help you to protect your investment. You probably don't want to build a structure that loses market value.

wonder wrote:
adnj wrote:Are you talking about setback from a property line?

I hav a duplex but I want to extend both front An back
Last edited by adnj on August 31st, 2018, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

wonder
Street 2NR

Postby wonder » August 31st, 2018, 9:56 am

Ok kool thanks

iarmd1
3NE 2NR for life

Postby iarmd1 » August 31st, 2018, 6:58 pm

Looking for clay tile for a outdoor area. I saw someone with the red ones but they all not one color they different shades of red so looks more appealing. Where has red tiles the cheapest and at what price.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 31st, 2018, 7:14 pm

iarmd1 wrote:Looking for clay tile for a outdoor area. I saw someone with the red ones but they all not one color they different shades of red so looks more appealing. Where has red tiles the cheapest and at what price.

TAP has the whole range. They are also on display at many hardwares and tile shops. Aranguez hardware and Ceramic Trinidad ltd has displays . You can also see the products online. They have different patterns and colours, also sealed and regular.

iarmd1
3NE 2NR for life

Postby iarmd1 » August 31st, 2018, 7:39 pm

rspann wrote:
iarmd1 wrote:Looking for clay tile for a outdoor area. I saw someone with the red ones but they all not one color they different shades of red so looks more appealing. Where has red tiles the cheapest and at what price.

TAP has the whole range. They are also on display at many hardwares and tile shops. Aranguez hardware and Ceramic Trinidad ltd has displays . You can also see the products online. They have different patterns and colours, also sealed and regular.

Thanks a lot wasn’t seeing much online. Will check ceramic Trinidad as they close by

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 31st, 2018, 7:46 pm

Check TAP Facebook page

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 1st, 2018, 9:03 pm

Friend asked me to build a bracket to hang a 20gal tank water heater off wall with anchor bolts
The wall is made with regular clay bricks. I am a bit skeptical they can take the weight and pressure from the bolts.
What you guys think ?

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » September 1st, 2018, 9:12 pm

pugboy wrote:Friend asked me to build a bracket to hang a 20gal tank water heater off wall with anchor bolts
The wall is made with regular clay bricks. I am a bit skeptical they can take the weight and pressure from the bolts.
What you guys think ?

Usually you can make a couple plates and go through the wall with Long bolts. If not, then you can measure and find the point where the 2 blocks meet horizontally and the anchor bolts will work fine there.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 1st, 2018, 9:30 pm

A 20 gal water heater weighs about 240 lbs.

If the wall is plastered (>=1/2"), and you use the proper size and number of sleeve anchors, you can reasonably do it.

The wall brackets should be firmly attached together to prevent single support failure.

If there is no plaster, do what matix suggested. I would use six fasteners minimum on a bracket that is more than 16 inches high to span three block seams. I would bolt through a vertical strap on the opposite side of the wall; one for each bracket.

That said, I dont believe that what we're discussing is acceptable building practices.

ImageImage
Last edited by adnj on September 1st, 2018, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 2nd, 2018, 7:20 am

The bracket has 3 holes per side, I planned to use the same 3/8 sleeve anchors,
however my concern was anchor strength in red brick.
the property has a similar bracket in another apt but in a concrete brick wall.
I dont consider it a good practice either.

I think I may add a vertical post to the ground strapped against the wall to remove some of the load on the wall anchors.

1d1f3cde-560f-4712-bab6-d42fbffa791d.JPG

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 2nd, 2018, 8:06 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:He could also explore the use of the Spancast precast wall system. Everything is locally made.
Pretty cool, was thinking about the clearance and alignment issues too, but it have enough overlap in the slot there to accommodate a fair amount.

I would like to see how the reinforcement for the slabs though.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 2nd, 2018, 8:09 am

No need for a vertical post. Put two similar diagonal braces like the two you have above ,at the bottom. They will take away some of the horizontal outward force from the bolts and put it towards the wall at the bottom.

Easier thing would have been a bolt through the wall with a piece of flat acting as a washer inside.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am

The bracket looks solid. Your idea to add a floor support would certainly help.

Edit: I believe that the problem is not the shear strength (downward force) of the bracket and fasteners. The problem is the pull-out resistance of the clay block itself. The static load is only 50 pounds max.

If the clay block attachment fails, it will most likely just pop out completely. I would go through the wall.
Last edited by adnj on September 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 2nd, 2018, 8:31 am

Fellaz

I need to dig a trench about 4" wide and 18" deep for 500 feet?
Any recommendation for a tool that can work?

I need to lay pipes for a long service water connection

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 2nd, 2018, 8:46 am

*KRONIK* wrote:Fellaz

I need to dig a trench about 4" wide and 18" deep for 500 feet?
Any recommendation for a tool that can work?

I need to lay pipes for a long service water connection

The best thing is to rent a hand operated trenching tool. I have no idea who has one available. Otherwise, a drainage shovel and a 5ft digging bar will do it. A louchette will work instead of the bar but not as easily.

I've seen the drainage shovel and bar in various hardwares. I believe Bhagwansingh had both, also.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by adnj on September 2nd, 2018, 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”