Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby ProtonPowder » December 13th, 2018, 5:24 pm

src1983 wrote:Hey fellas,

Critique my plan, and if possible average cost to build

Thanks

Modelled it on sketchup at work and forgot to send it to myself to post at home. Last time i log in from work i got banned because of the proxy they use.
But is about 1.4M for the house alone, going by the square footage at 700/sf. I seeing a pool, but I am not personally familiar with the unit costs of building those, nor the areas around the house if using pavers.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » December 13th, 2018, 5:38 pm

hong kong phooey wrote:

Thanks

i noticed you have your walk in closet for the master bedroom inside the bathroom. If you accustomed taking hot steamy showers i would suggest putting a door in between the the closet and the bedroom or make an opening from the closet to the bedroom instead. i suggest this due to moisture and mould formation in your clothes unless u plan on putting in a good extractor fan.

I also have an open concept, one thing to consider with the open concept is Air condition , the air condition cools the entire space

This would be a problem as the master in my current home is the same config and no issues, so it seems the extractor fan works

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » December 13th, 2018, 5:59 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:

Thanks

Modelled it on sketchup at work and forgot to send it to myself to post at home. Last time i log in from work i got banned because of the proxy they use.
But is about 1.4M for the house alone, going by the square footage at 700/sf. I seeing a pool, but I am not personally familiar with the unit costs of building those, nor the areas around the house if using pavers.

Would you agree that it's possible to build a good quality house ,without a contractor, for way less, if you manage your finances properly? I have built buildings for far less than the $700 per square ft quoted.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » December 13th, 2018, 6:09 pm

rspann wrote:Would you agree that it's possible to build a good quality house ,without a contractor, for way less, if you manage your finances properly? I have built buildings for far less than the $700 per square ft quoted.

I wouldnt doubt that it is very possible and realistic for the people that have the knowledge, or access to people that do with their interests in mind.

There are large houses that I have visited in upscale areas in south that go for nearly half of that rate, and one in particular even complete with stucco on the outside. Granted the owner himself is a contractor, but it shows that it can be possible.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 13th, 2018, 8:44 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
rspann wrote:Would you agree that it's possible to build a good quality house ,without a contractor, for way less, if you manage your finances properly? I have built buildings for far less than the $700 per square ft quoted.

I wouldnt doubt that it is very possible and realistic for the people that have the knowledge, or access to people that do with their interests in mind.

There are large houses that I have visited in upscale areas in south that go for nearly half of that rate, and one in particular even complete with stucco on the outside. Granted the owner himself is a contractor, but it shows that it can be possible.
There is a difference between reduced cost and avoided expense.

If you source used decking material, that's a cost reduction. If a contractor provides labor or expertise for their own project, the cost did not go down. The contractor simply avoided the expense of their own services.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » December 15th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Good day can someone direct me to where I can get the rules and regulations building codes for Trinidad and Tobago. The ones town and country abide by. Can it be gotted anywhere online? My search has been futile so far.
Thanks in advance

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » December 15th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Second result in Google. Second.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » December 15th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:Second result in Google. Second.
I apologise for my ignorance but please copy and paste the link you are referring to.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 15th, 2018, 11:53 pm

cutthroatInt wrote:
I apologise for my ignorance but please copy and paste the link you are referring to.

http://chamber.org.tt/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Building-Codes-and-the-Regulation-of-the-Building-Industry-2011-Mark-Francois.pdf

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » December 16th, 2018, 4:05 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
cutthroatInt wrote:

http://chamber.org.tt/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Building-Codes-and-the-Regulation-of-the-Building-Industry-2011-Mark-Francois.pdf
So there is non online then. Have to buy from ttbs. Thanks
Screenshot_20181216-040053.jpeg

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 16th, 2018, 5:37 am

This is the draft on Scribd. The final version is what you will want to buy. The cost for any of the standards is fairly reasonable. The hardest part is getting there.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/20748625/Trinidad-Tobago-Small-Building-Code-Draft

cutthroatInt wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
cutthroatInt wrote:

So there is non online then. Have to buy from ttbs. Thanks
Screenshot_20181216-040053.jpeg

QuietGiant
3NE 2NR for life

Postby QuietGiant » December 16th, 2018, 6:42 am

Is it possible to build a house for under $150, 000. ? If so, what materials would be best for that budget?
Nothing fancy, no extra wasted space, just a small plain rectangular 2 bedroom house. One room on each side, bathroom to the back and the kitchen/living room in one. Basic stuff, just for a family of 3.
Currently in a very tight financial position so trying to make what i have do. Any advice would be appreciated.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 16th, 2018, 7:22 am

Assuming that you want about 800 sq ft of living space (about the minimum for 3 or 4 people):

Typical home (medium/some basic finishes) at $700 per sq ft: $560,000

Basic/limited finishes (where you do some of the work) $350 per sq ft: $280,000

Rustic cabin (bare concrete floors, you do most of the work, plain block walls) $200 per sq ft: $160,000

You could also consider two 40 ft containers.

pugboy wrote:This was the house I saw in fishing pond,
the third container is to the back perpendicular to the other two
and roof is built off the two side ones.
Need sturdy footings though and best to cast a floor for the big middle area.

It's owned by the people who sell honey under the "herbwai" brand.
they are off the grid, using solar and lpg generator

QuietGiant wrote:Is it possible to build a house for under $150, 000. ? If so, what materials would be best for that budget?
Nothing fancy, no extra wasted space, just a small plain rectangular 2 bedroom house. One room on each side, bathroom to the back and the kitchen/living room in one. Basic stuff, just for a family of 3.
Currently in a very tight financial position so trying to make what i have do. Any advice would be appreciated.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » December 16th, 2018, 12:08 pm

cutthroatInt wrote:Good day can someone direct me to where I can get the rules and regulations building codes for Trinidad and Tobago. The ones town and country abide by. Can it be gotted anywhere online? My search has been futile so far.
Thanks in advance
https://ufile.io/r36wg

A pdf of the document can be downloaded at the above link.

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » December 17th, 2018, 10:05 am

Can anyone advise is the PVC ceiling can be used for a building going under a mortgage in relation to insurance and if it would be acceptable by T&C etc...was hearing it wudnt be acceptable due to fire hazards

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » December 17th, 2018, 10:57 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:You would only install piles where a spread footing or mat foundation (referred to as shallow foundations), cannot support the anticipated loads.

Another instance with respect to where you may use piles is in expansive soils where the uplift pressure from the soil (in the wet season) exceeds the downward pressure on the foundation from the structure. The net uplift pressure will raise the structure up. You can identify potentially expansive soils in the dry season by deep and wide cracks in the surface. You tend to get expansive soils in south Trinidad. Your piles need to be designed to resist the uplift pressure from the soil, or you would get the same issue as with the shallow foundations.

You should consult the Small Building Code (TTS 599) for guidance on the design of the foundations for your house.

Thanks.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » December 17th, 2018, 11:00 am

konartis wrote:Can anyone advise is the PVC ceiling can be used for a building going under a mortgage in relation to insurance and if it would be acceptable by T&C etc...was hearing it wudnt be acceptable due to fire hazards

I was told by an insurance agent that it will not be covered or if it is the insurance cost will increase,

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 17th, 2018, 11:06 am

SNIPER 3000 wrote:
konartis wrote:Can anyone advise is the PVC ceiling can be used for a building going under a mortgage in relation to insurance and if it would be acceptable by T&C etc...was hearing it wudnt be acceptable due to fire hazards

I was told by an insurance agent that it will not be covered or if it is the insurance cost will increase,

my whole 2 story building is pvc all over, we have insurance normal

and we did alot of pvc ceiling installs in many government buildings, churches, temples, army barracks, schools etc,houses.....

no issues with insurance

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 17th, 2018, 11:11 am

adnj wrote:Assuming that you want about 800 sq ft of living space (about the minimum for 3 or 4 people):

Typical home (medium/some basic finishes) at $700 per sq ft: $560,000

Basic/limited finishes (where you do some of the work) $350 per sq ft: $280,000

Rustic cabin (bare concrete floors, you do most of the work, plain block walls) $200 per sq ft: $160,000

how much you estimate this cost to build

just the house/landscaping
not talking about value of land

includes full teak kitchen, air condition everywhere, remote control gate etc.

2100 square feet

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 17th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Just a comment.

There were quite a few of those houses in cunupia and environs that I checked out a few years ago for my parents.

For those houses, I found that things were not exactly as advertised.

For example, the teak kitchens were really teak MDF, not teak wood. Same for the bedrooms.

AC units were cheap units.

The decadent tiles were cheap ceramic tiles.

The Garage opener and gate were cheap Chinese brands. Same for faucets.

All in all, I found that the houses were cheaply finished and I won't be surprised that construction was done similarly, like using smooth steel instead of the corrugated steel.

I think an uninformed buyer would think that the houses were good for the price but for someone who as at least built their own house, you would be able to spot the cheapness..

Builders would minge on cost everywhere and sell at market value to maximise profits. IMO

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 17th, 2018, 3:43 pm

a melamine cupboard body(white both sides) with real wood doors is acceptable by many, once it is not cheap mdf which often give off a funny musty smell.

I've seen many cases of ceramic tiles on a driveway cracking not long after from the cars driving over, not sure why.

that sliding gate should have a vertical post to prevent it falling on somebody in the event it slips off track or some kind of accident.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 17th, 2018, 4:01 pm

If you get beyond the finishes and fixtures (which you can change later) what you might see is a relatively poor layout in the open space floor plan, electrical panel in the living space, ongrade construction, building footprint occupies more area than is preferred, outswing windows with no screens, a large ceiling plenum that will trap heat, and rudimentary surface drains.

If I had to hazard a guess: $550 per sq ft + $100K for the boundary wall.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 17th, 2018, 4:12 pm

On closer look, is that one of those houses built on Ragoonanan Road?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 17th, 2018, 4:13 pm

But I thought “open space “
Was the current style

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » December 17th, 2018, 4:22 pm

pugboy wrote:I've seen many cases of ceramic tiles on a driveway cracking not long after from the cars driving over, not sure why.

It could possibly be with the grade of thin set used to install the tiles.

For the Micro Milling brand of thin set, you should use the Premium 2600 Thin Set for tiles that would be subject to vehicle loads. This grade of thin set is resistant to shock and impact. The regular grade of thin set is not resistant to shock and impact, and if the thin set is displaced under the impact from wheel loads, then the tile will crack.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 17th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Open floor plans are very popular worldwide. Open floor plans should omit tiny closed spaces and connect often used areas.

Building with the fewest interior walls with little regard for occupant movement and living spaces is just thrifting the design.
pugboy wrote:But I thought “open space “
Was the current style

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 17th, 2018, 10:08 pm

adnj wrote:If you get beyond the finishes and fixtures (which you can change later) what you might see is a relatively poor layout in the open space floor plan, electrical panel in the living space, ongrade construction, building footprint occupies more area than is preferred, outswing windows with no screens, a large ceiling plenum that will trap heat, and rudimentary surface drains.

If I had to hazard a guess: $550 per sq ft + $100K for the boundary wall.
So a 1.2 million to build and 100k for wall plus probably a 300 400k for the land?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 20th, 2018, 6:57 pm

waiting on a reply from adnj and the other people who pelting around the $550 a sq ft price

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 20th, 2018, 7:11 pm

I can't say anything about land price but it looks like a ~50×100 lot at 300 ft of border wall at $300 per foot for a 6 ft wall and $550 per square foot for the structure.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 20th, 2018, 8:00 pm

adnj wrote:I can't say anything about land price but it looks like a ~50×100 lot at 300 ft of border wall at $300 per foot for a 6 ft wall and $550 per square foot for the structure.
House for sale for 1.75 mil.
Land is approx 300k in that area

By allyuh estimate it cost 1.5 including the land?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”