Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Kenjo » April 25th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I believe they come with a 10 or so year warranty but i will find the ad where is saw that . Very interesting

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 25th, 2019, 6:09 pm

There isn't much difference between the round and elongated tanks other than capacity.

They can also be sturdy... if you have a solid footing of crushed stone, fill it with water before backfilling with sand and make sure that you don't park a car above it. I have seen a few that sailed past 10 years in service.

Folks were just dropping them in a hole and live sewerage was seeping into the ground.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 25th, 2019, 6:24 pm

The elongated ones I saw had ribs along the sides for reinforcement unlike the fatboy ones which are just plastic ball.
I guess they dont have any vertical load strength.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 25th, 2019, 6:48 pm

pugboy wrote:The elongated ones I saw had ribs along the sides for reinforcement unlike the fatboy ones which are just plastic ball.
I guess they dont have any vertical load strength.
Ripped from the web:

Septic Tanks: Plastic or Cement?

This entry was posted on January 17, 2017 by GoToTanks Staff.

[http://gototanks]

If you’re like most people, you probably don’t give your septic tank much thought from day to day – that is, until something goes wrong. Once something goes wrong, chances are you’ll think about nothing else until you get the problem fixed.

Buying a new tank can be a daunting task. Septic tanks come in two options: concrete or plastic.  At first glance, it might seem like there’s no real difference between the two. However, if you read on, you’ll see not only the pros and cons of each type, but also why plastic tanks are really the better option for your home.

Concrete Tanks

Pros

Concrete has been the standard building material for septic tanks for a long time now, and it’s easy to see why. First, concrete is long-lasting. With proper maintenance, a concrete tank can last for decades. So, not only are they durable, they are also resilient. Concrete tanks will hold up to the rigors of heavy machinery during installation, and should you have to work on part of your yard later, you don’t have to worry about accidentally punching a hole in the side of your tank. Also, because concrete is so heavy, once that tank is in place it is settled in with no fear of it (or it’s, err, contents) shifting in the ground.

Cons

They might be sturdy and strong, but that doesn’t mean they will last forever. When a septic tank goes bad, it’s not pretty. As they age, concrete tanks are prone to cracking and corrosion. This can lead to noxious wastes leaking out. Low quality concrete also has steel support struts, which are prone to rusting, causing a slew of new issues. Concrete tanks are also much heavier, which means a much more expensive and complicated installation. This weight also means much more difficult and expensive repairs, should a problem arise at some point during the tank’s life.

And speaking of lifespan, once it’s over, that weight means a complicated (and expensive) removal. So, even though these tanks are built to last, when a concrete tank goes bad or encounters a problem, it is potentially an extremely foul-smelling and inconvenient predicament that will cost you an arm and a leg to fix or replace.

Plastic Tanks

Pros

Plastic tanks have a lot to offer. Made from strong and high-tech polyethylene, plastic septic tanks offer a much more lightweight solution. This lighter mass means a much cheaper installation without the need for heavy machinery or equipment. In addition, because they are easier to transport, plastic tanks can be installed just about anywhere – even in more remote areas. This makes them the perfect choice for places like vacation cabins and island-based housing. Plastic tanks are also more resistant to the cracking, rusting, or corrosion issues that can plague concrete septic systems down the road, and can be installed as deep as three feet underground, which helps to protect them from the outside elements and dangers.

Cons

Even though they are cheaper and very reliable, plastic tanks do come with some concerns. Because they are so light, it is possible that a newer plastic tank can “float” in areas where the water table is higher, causing them to rise up and shift, making it unlevel.  This can lead to structural and leakage problems down the road.  Also, even though polyethylene is tested and strong, it isn’t quite as durable as concrete in all situations, which means it is more prone to damage under extreme conditions.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 25th, 2019, 6:59 pm

First sentence is quite correct,
When a septic system giving trouble is real headache and prayers unless you have open yard and land to build easily.

I had to build a completely new system exactly a year ago, existing tank was very old and soakaway no longer draining well.

I built in a different location and was able to swing most of the waste pipes to new location.
One toilet was left on old system and it can handle that reduced load.

Paw Patrol
Street 2NR

Postby Paw Patrol » April 26th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Good Day Friends.
Where can I get one like this to buy?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 26th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Roopnarine Hardware and Tang Yuk have vanity mirrors

Paw Patrol
Street 2NR

Postby Paw Patrol » April 26th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Thanks. Every where I check only sells Sink, vanity and counter COMBOs

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 26th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Check picture framing places

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 26th, 2019, 7:47 pm

The Home Store in barataria ,Pillais in El Socorro, Bhagwansinghs and most home stores have.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 26th, 2019, 7:48 pm

I bought a few in the home store. When you enter turn left and go to the last lane.

xtrail3
Street 2NR

Postby xtrail3 » April 29th, 2019, 2:42 pm

How to locate the markers for my land boundaries. They’re buried. Do I need to get a land surveyor ?

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » April 29th, 2019, 3:01 pm

xtrail3 wrote:How to locate the markers for my land boundaries. They’re buried. Do I need to get a land surveyor ?

The cheapest and easiest way is to make it look like you are going to build a wall or something dig one hole or trench take a guess of where your boundary is and the owner of the property next to you will come out and quarrel to put it in its correct place

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » April 29th, 2019, 3:10 pm

If they are buried, us the survey plan with a tape from your neighbours boundary and try to locate it.
If you cant, get a licensed surveypr to come and re-estabish them
Better to spend a lil 2k to do that than make enemies with ur neighbour.
xtrail3 wrote:How to locate the markers for my land boundaries. They’re buried. Do I need to get a land surveyor ?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 29th, 2019, 4:50 pm

What's the running cost of a pool?
Not the upfront construction bit.
Maintenance and upkeep?
Possible to DIY with the right tools and consumables?

Say 10x20ft rectangle

House being designed and I think it may be good to include it in the plans rather than an afterthought.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 29th, 2019, 6:17 pm

It depends on the volume. For an average 20,000 gallon pool, expect about $1000 per month in chemicals and testing. A 10×20 should be about 7500 gallons, so expect about $400 per month.

I did not include the cost of electricity, water or filter media.

Expect to spend about one hour per day on average for cleaning and maintaining the proper pH and chlorine levels.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Then intex plastic pools lasting long
They use saltwater treatment system and cheap to run
Lot of ppl using them and they lasting

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » April 29th, 2019, 6:30 pm

air wick wrote:Looking for someone to build a septic tank and soak-away system in Debe area.

Thx

Started today -

Septic tank base

Soak away pit base

Rubble drain

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2019, 7:08 pm

You ain't wasting time.
What about adding a rubble drain overflow on the soakaway for additional emergency draining?

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » April 29th, 2019, 7:10 pm

pugboy wrote:You ain't wasting time.
What about adding a rubble drain overflow on the soakaway for additional emergency draining?

Yeah wanted to complete before rainy season. Will ask the builder I think that’s what he’s doing but will confirm.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Actually that is likely what the long trench is for. You are lucky to have plenty space and looks like easy draining non clay soil.

Is this a new system for the house ?

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » April 29th, 2019, 7:26 pm

pugboy wrote:Actually that is likely what the long trench is for. You are lucky to have plenty space and looks like easy draining non clay soil.

Yes it’s a new system.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2019, 7:39 pm

any plan to rehabilitate that one as you have workmen on site ?

air wick wrote:
pugboy wrote:Actually that is likely what the long trench is for. You are lucky to have plenty space and looks like easy draining non clay soil.

Yes it’s a new system.

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » April 29th, 2019, 7:48 pm

pugboy wrote:any plan to rehabilitate that one as you have workmen on site ?

air wick wrote:

Yes it’s a new system.

The house never had a sewer system. Never lived in it so this is a new and only septic tank system. Doing work to move in.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Ok, thought there was an old original one

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » May 4th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Project completed -

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 4th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Nice long rubble drain
Any pics of inside soakaway ?

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » May 4th, 2019, 5:57 pm

pugboy wrote:Nice long rubble drain
Any pics of inside soakaway ?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 4th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Hopefully the rubble drain won’t be used unless the water table gets high in rainy season

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 4th, 2019, 8:37 pm

I don't see access covers (about 16"×16" each) for the septic tank.

Single chamber septic tanks can have a flat floor but should have a sloping floor to contain sludge.

The soakaway walls should be highly porous such that vent blocks should have been laid in the walls.

The inlet and outlet pipes should not be connected in either the tank or soakaway.

This looks more like a twin-tank septic system design with the rubble drain acting as a leech field. It would work much, much better with no gravel in the second chamber.

I don't believe that this design would meet current WASA requirements but the inspector always has the final say.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”