Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Musical Doc » September 11th, 2018, 11:46 am

I need someone to auger one hole 4 ft deep to put down a pole in penal either today or tomorrow. Any recommendations? Trinidad Auger Pilers said they may be able to do it after thursday.... no sense calling out workers to do one hole

MADMAN1
Street 2NR

Postby MADMAN1 » September 13th, 2018, 10:30 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:
carluva wrote:Kronik,

Given what you have described, id recommend being a bit cautious. Since you have such a long run crossing properties and areas you do not own, you should consider using the mdpe or the blue water lines and sleeve them in the galvanized pipe at the driveway crossings. At the driveway crossings, as they are not yours, after laying the line, cover back with some excavated material. On this lay a bed of concrete tiles then backfill with red sand to the surface, compact and have a good base for reinstatement of the concrete driveways. That way your lines are safeguarded against any future work in that area that would result in excavation in that zone.

The blue line is also easier to repair if damaged... a compression fitting and that's it. Repairs can be done on the run without having to lock off water. If pvc pipe is damaged, water needs to be locked off and then solvent cement needed. More difficult repair.

If you insist on using pvc pipe, use schedule 40 for the run, nothing else.

Remember that galvanized pipe will rot from the inside once buried And at the threaded ends. This rot will make the line weaker and easier to crack with a blow. Consider sch 40 or even sch 80 pipe for the sleeves.

I know it sounds like overkill but its 500 ft of your line being run to a wasa connection so unless wasa is taking ownership of this line, they wont repair anything if its damaged. So better to protect your investment and do it right the first time spending a lil more on the front end.
I am going to look for the blue pipe tomorrow to see what the price is like.

I was planning to bury the steel pipes and replace the excavated area with cement as you mentioned.

The wasa guy said they only maintain the 1st 40 feet from the main. The rest is mine to take care of. So he told me to put at least 3 lock offs along the way incase i need to do any repairs.

Good idea with the sch 40 and sch 80 pipes.

The BLUE LINE is around $1200.00 a roll by Ramlagans Hardware Couva, 500ft long and they have fittings for it.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 13th, 2018, 10:34 pm

MADMAN1 wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
carluva wrote:Kronik,

Given what you have described, id recommend being a bit cautious. Since you have such a long run crossing properties and areas you do not own, you should consider using the mdpe or the blue water lines and sleeve them in the galvanized pipe at the driveway crossings. At the driveway crossings, as they are not yours, after laying the line, cover back with some excavated material. On this lay a bed of concrete tiles then backfill with red sand to the surface, compact and have a good base for reinstatement of the concrete driveways. That way your lines are safeguarded against any future work in that area that would result in excavation in that zone.

The blue line is also easier to repair if damaged... a compression fitting and that's it. Repairs can be done on the run without having to lock off water. If pvc pipe is damaged, water needs to be locked off and then solvent cement needed. More difficult repair.

If you insist on using pvc pipe, use schedule 40 for the run, nothing else.

Remember that galvanized pipe will rot from the inside once buried And at the threaded ends. This rot will make the line weaker and easier to crack with a blow. Consider sch 40 or even sch 80 pipe for the sleeves.

I know it sounds like overkill but its 500 ft of your line being run to a wasa connection so unless wasa is taking ownership of this line, they wont repair anything if its damaged. So better to protect your investment and do it right the first time spending a lil more on the front end.
I am going to look for the blue pipe tomorrow to see what the price is like.

I was planning to bury the steel pipes and replace the excavated area with cement as you mentioned.

The wasa guy said they only maintain the 1st 40 feet from the main. The rest is mine to take care of. So he told me to put at least 3 lock offs along the way incase i need to do any repairs.

Good idea with the sch 40 and sch 80 pipes.

The BLUE LINE is around $1200.00 a roll by Ramlagans Hardware Couva, 500ft long and they have fittings for it.
Thanks

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 14th, 2018, 4:32 pm

They are cheapest for a lot of things

mazdatt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mazdatt » September 17th, 2018, 11:13 am

Anyone knows a good carpenter/wood working person from south?

Send me a PM with contact info.

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » September 18th, 2018, 8:19 am

Good morning,
Can any recommend a reputable private contractor or company to supply and install aluminum guttering? Also what is the price per square foot foot of that so?
Already have the roof and under celling, it's about 110 ft in total so of guttering but will have to include the downpipes and stuff.

Thanks

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 18th, 2018, 11:42 am

rexsmith wrote:what is the smallest foundation you can build for a 40ft by 32ft flat house?

40ft x32ft might work.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 18th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Whatever you do, hire somebody who can roll out complete lengths.
Don’t buy the short lengths and join them up to make up length.
They never seal well no matter how much silicone is used and will leak at joints.

Nexus wrote:Good morning,
Can any recommend a reputable private contractor or company to supply and install aluminum guttering? Also what is the price per square foot foot of that so?
Already have the roof and under celling, it's about 110 ft in total so of guttering but will have to include the downpipes and stuff.

Thanks

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 18th, 2018, 4:30 pm

pugboy wrote:Whatever you do, hire somebody who can roll out complete lengths.
Don’t buy the short lengths and join them up to make up length.
They never seal well no matter how much silicone is used and will leak at joints.

Nexus wrote:Good morning,

Thanks
You can try using a butyl rubber instead of silicone rubber to seal your gutters. I used the same thing to seal shingles and gutters. It's messy but it is a lot stickier than silicone. It's about the same chemistry that is used to waterproof foundation blocks.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 18th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Any Supplier can send their mobile unit to roll form on site. I did a roof last month where Lifetime Roofing did a few 65ft lengths on site. It looks great and will have no leaking as pugboy advised.It was pulled up to the roof with four lengths of rope. They charge $300 for the mobile(on site) service.

Good advice is to install (fascia)flashing and gutters together, and before sheets. You get the brackets to screw on easier.

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » September 18th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Tuners... is there a calculation that contractors use to cost out building a home

daron
Sweet on this forum

Postby daron » September 18th, 2018, 8:42 pm

telfer wrote:Tuners... is there a calculation that contractors use to cost out building a home
I think the average is done per square feet depending on type of house my brother did 1 it was $500 per square foot

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » September 18th, 2018, 8:54 pm

daron wrote:
telfer wrote:Tuners... is there a calculation that contractors use to cost out building a home
I think the average is done per square feet depending on type of house my brother did 1 it was $500 per square foot

That is honestly too low. Contractors call that to get the wuk and then come demanding more later down the line.

I have seen estimates of 600/sf in 2016 and about 650-700/sf in 2018 for a basic flat concrete house. And this is from the quantity surveyor the bank/ttmf would probably send when is time to get insurance on the house.

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » September 18th, 2018, 9:03 pm

That’s foundation to finish.....what about a renovation? Roof and foundation is there already

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 19th, 2018, 3:24 am

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » September 19th, 2018, 1:23 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
daron wrote:

That is honestly too low. Contractors call that to get the wuk and then come demanding more later down the line.

I have seen estimates of 600/sf in 2016 and about 650-700/sf in 2018 for a basic flat concrete house. And this is from the quantity surveyor the bank/ttmf would probably send when is time to get insurance on the house.

Sorry...this not making any kind of sense. 700sf for a basic flat??
That contractor is a robber and whoever agree to pay that is an idiot.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 19th, 2018, 2:35 pm

There are some very specious claims being made regarding the price per unit area and the OP wasn't very specific in terms of what they wanted. If you want a 1200 sq-ft shed roof structure with one toilet, the price is less.

A three story on the side of a hill with cantilevered patios, a pool and a property wall is more expensive. Anything in Tobago is more expensive.

If you get a quote from three contractors, you'll get a good idea. If you want to be able to get very accurate numbers, take your detailed drawings to a quantity surveyor and get a construction estimate and bill of materials.

If you aren't sure whether it's worth the time and money, try the calculator below. It gives some realistic numbers.

http://sipreal.com/sipreal/constructcostcalc.html

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » September 19th, 2018, 3:14 pm

It all depends on the finishes that the home owner desires

daron
Sweet on this forum

Postby daron » September 19th, 2018, 7:17 pm

$423 per square foot
Screenshot_20180919-191551.jpeg

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » September 20th, 2018, 10:29 am

Does anywhere sell steel/security half doors (the ones cut in half horizontally) ?

Only finding the normal pitch pine ones

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 20th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Interesting read...

Makeshift homes and bureaucracy collide

For generations, more than half of Puerto Ricans relied on informal construction to build affordable homes and bypass a costly, bureaucratic process. It was these homes that bore the brunt of María. About 300,000 dwellings suffered significant damage and some 70,000 of those were completely destroyed, according to the island's Housing Department. Without formal property deeds, home owners struggled to get federal aid. Money was tight.

"It was really frustrating," Gautier said. "I wanted to figure out a way to make a type of home construction that was accessible to everyone."

The answer: shipping containers.

A container built for hurricanes

"They are fabricated to withstand the worst atmospheric conditions, in the middle of the ocean, getting hit by waves and typhoons," said Gautier, who had seen firsthand this type of construction used successfully in Europe.

So she turned to lifelong friend Maria Gabriela Velasco, a psychologist and entrepreneur. Together they formed HiveCube to revolutionize the way Puerto Ricans build affordable homes.

"The median income on the Island is around $20,000, but the medium home value is about $100,000," said Velasco. "It's not enough. That's where we come in."

HiveCube's basic model is priced at $39,000. It includes two bedrooms, one bathroom and a kitchen-living area. They are compliant with US building codes and are ADA accessible. The entire structure, including the windows, can withstand a Category 5 hurricane with winds up to 175 miles per hour, assuming it is properly anchored to a foundation.

For an additional cost, the homes can be fitted with a solar power microgrid, rainwater collection and a sewage treatment system that doubles as a garden.

"The 'plano modelo,' or basic model, can be placed anywhere on the island and is considered safe housing that meets all construction codes," says Velasco.

HiveCube is now taking orders from homeowners who can afford the units without financing and is in the process of securing an owner-financing plan with local banks.

Next in line is an assembly plant.

"We are trying to establish a manufacturing facility in Puerto Rico to create jobs," said Velasco. "Our goal is to build about 100 'hives' a month through a prefabrication process."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/19/us/iyw-puerto-rico-women-rebuild-trnd/index.html
Last edited by adnj on September 20th, 2018, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 20th, 2018, 2:28 pm

T&c blocked somebody who wanted to build apts in st Augustine with containers years ago

stang
3NE 2NR for life

Postby stang » September 20th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Seeking recommendations for anyone local that can do custom made wooden doors (internal and external) ? I heard about someone in Rio Claro, but didn't get a contact number.

Also looking for someone to do a small patio roof. Any recommendations for a roofman would be welcomed.

Thanks

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » September 21st, 2018, 6:58 am

originalbling wrote:Does anywhere sell steel/security half doors (the ones cut in half horizontally) ?

I think I saw those at Abel

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » September 21st, 2018, 7:00 am

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 21st, 2018, 7:08 am

Dont know where else to post this...but a couple weeks ago a friend went to ttec to make a damaged appliance report....ttec indicated that as long as you dont have a inspector's certificate(no older than 5 years)...they (ttec) cannot be held accountable for damaged appliances due to power surges etc....so get your electrician to do the necessary...

Just a heads up...I didnt know this as well

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 21st, 2018, 7:44 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Dont know where else to post this...but a couple weeks ago a friend went to ttec to make a damaged appliance report....ttec indicated that as long as you dont have a inspector's certificate(no older than 5 years)...they (ttec) cannot be held accountable for damaged appliances due to power surges etc....so get your electrician to do the necessary...

Just a heads up...I didnt know this as well
Sounds like they found a way to beat the system

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » September 21st, 2018, 11:26 am

telfer wrote:
originalbling wrote:Does anywhere sell steel/security half doors (the ones cut in half horizontally) ?

I think I saw those at Abel

Thanks. will check it out.

Youngstar1989
Street 2NR

Postby Youngstar1989 » September 22nd, 2018, 7:55 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
rspann wrote:[quote=" Kronik]
You could have just done an epoxy floor, guaranteed seamless[/quote]

I'm building a new building for my business and I'm going with the epoxy floor. I did some research and I agree with you on this. Getting the concrete perfectly level before epoxy is my main priority ,because I can't bear to see a wavy floor ,and it will be highlighted by the epoxy. Rory and others ,any ideas?[/quote][/quote]
Call SCL Trinidad Limited (675-5555) and see if they have a self levelling screed that could be applied over the floor with proper bond on which you could apply the epoxy coating.[/quote]

Hey, did you get through, what do they have available and what's the cost?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 22nd, 2018, 8:25 pm

^^ I'm also interested.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”