eitech
punchin NOS

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby eitech » October 7th, 2018, 12:45 pm

rspann wrote:
eitech wrote:
adnj wrote:
matix wrote:
eitech wrote:Hey guys so i have a funny scent coming from one of my bathroom drains. I am not sure what it is though, kinda musty. There is no drainage issue or water backup. I tried vinegar/ baking soda, hot water, lye , but the scent refuses to go away. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Does that drain line have a water trap?
+1

Some local basin and shower installations lack a trap. It's not code but it is not uncommon.

Stagnant gray water will start to smell in just a day or two.

Additionally, improperly revented drain lines can slow drain line evacuation or empty an attached trap of clean water.

Actually i was able to push a very long piece of stiff wire down d drain to check for clog. If a trap was there i doubt i would be able to do that. But d water drains quite fast too

Case closed ,no trap.

So no hope for that smell going? It want there before. The other bathroom had the same scent and the vinegar/ baking soda method worked. I used the wire as there was a slight clog as well. But same thing no trap but no scent anymore

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 7th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Install a trap. Either put it in the floor, or outside on the line if there is place.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 7th, 2018, 2:58 pm

trap is best way as said above
the pipes likely coated with slime, hair and bacteria
try some of the strong commercial cleaners but if it does remove any it will only remove what is on lower part of pipes where the water runs
so will happen again.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 7th, 2018, 2:59 pm

looking for about 100ft of 10sq xlp cable

who have best price ?

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » October 7th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Pug you mean XLPE Cable ? Annands R&Z and some other may be your best bet

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 7th, 2018, 3:41 pm

pugboy wrote:looking for about 100ft of 10sq xlp cable

who have best price ?

Call meh tomorrow, I'll get wholesale for Yuh.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 7th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Will do

rspann wrote:
pugboy wrote:looking for about 100ft of 10sq xlp cable

who have best price ?

Call meh tomorrow, I'll get wholesale for Yuh.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 7th, 2018, 4:07 pm

rspann wrote:Install a trap. Either put it in the floor, or outside on the line if there is place.
pugboy wrote:trap is best way as said above
the pipes likely coated with slime, hair and bacteria
try some of the strong commercial cleaners but if it does remove any it will only remove what is on lower part of pipes where the water runs
so will happen again.
+1. If it's just a smell and no clog, two ounces of bleach each week is all you need to reduce the smell and clear some of the pipe of bacteria.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » October 7th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Quick question: now i know the toilets are tied into the septic tank. Where do ur other drains ( kitchen, bathroom, face basins, jukkin board sink) go to?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 7th, 2018, 7:46 pm

eitech wrote:Quick question: now i know the toilets are tied into the septic tank. Where do ur other drains ( kitchen, bathroom, face basins, jukkin board sink) go to?
Gray water surface drains.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 7th, 2018, 8:41 pm

eitech wrote:Quick question: now i know the toilets are tied into the septic tank. Where do ur other drains ( kitchen, bathroom, face basins, jukkin board sink) go to?

I connected all my sink drains, washing machine drain and shower drains to a 4" pipe that runs underground and empties into a main drain out front. On the other side of the house i have on bathroom which empties into a 2" pipe out to the same main drain.

Didnt want that water to emplty to surface drains to encourage moss and vermin or to have to clean it every week.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 7th, 2018, 8:44 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:What brand of toilets and basins you all using these days...pressure to find the good old armitage shanks...looking for long lasting thing

Twyfords... from AP Scott... nowhere else as i think others sell knockoffs.

I seem to recall that Bathrooms Plus in Champs Fleurs sold Armitage Shanks and Imperial... but that was 8 yrs ago when i built so i dint know if they still carry those lines.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 7th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Long lasting mean internals lasting long ?

I installed two Berkeley and no problems so far,
Not expensive and uses regular type elephant mechanism so will not leak like a rubber flapper type and overflow a septic tank.

I also bought a lotus cheap toilet earlier this year, headache, the parts cheap quality and the base was not made level. Seems the porcelain casting had lumps so toilet rocked and caused leaks in flange.
Had to set toilet down in a cement base.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 8th, 2018, 5:58 am

Lotus is a good brand, made in Trinidad using the original specs under license. I've been to the factory and saw them putting marks underneath to show the grade. Some hardwares buy the seconds and unless you buy first grade ,you can get those problems. When you buy look for how many red marker strokes are on the bottom in the unglazed part. Lotus are made in colours and sets too. Not like long ago when they were only white.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 8th, 2018, 6:51 am

pugboy wrote:Long lasting mean internals lasting long ?

Not expensive and uses regular type elephant mechanism so will not leak like a rubber flapper type and overflow a septic tank.

I also bought a lotus cheap toilet earlier this year, headache, the parts cheap quality and the base was not made level. Seems the porcelain casting had lumps so toilet rocked and caused leaks in flange.

Which is the elephant mechanism?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 8th, 2018, 7:08 am

could be so, the so called contractor was the one who got it and installed it.

rspann wrote:Lotus is a good brand, made in Trinidad using the original specs under license. I've been to the factory and saw them putting marks underneath to show the grade. Some hardwares buy the seconds and unless you buy first grade ,you can get those problems. When you buy look for how many red marker strokes are on the bottom in the unglazed part. Lotus are made in colours and sets too. Not like long ago when they were only white.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 8th, 2018, 7:16 am

Elephant is the siphon type, you have to crank handle harder to get the water up and over to get the siphon effect moving.
Was most common type long ago but flappers may be more common now.

The rubber flapper lip edge may eventually wrinkle and not seal flat and the edge of the tube it is sealing against may have limescale buildup and cause leaks into the bowl continuously which will overflow a cesspit and cause headache.

I suspect many govt buildings/schools which have continuous septic problems should check their toilet types
assuming cesspit was properly designed.

Toilet-Flapper-Valve-Replacement-Service1.png
Toilet-Flapper-Valve-Replacement-Service1.png (34.14 KiB) Viewed 4263 times

siphon.jpg
siphon.jpg (5.35 KiB) Viewed 4263 times

carluva wrote:
pugboy wrote:Long lasting mean internals lasting long ?

Which is the elephant mechanism?

mazdatt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mazdatt » October 8th, 2018, 10:49 am

Anyone knows any hardware or wood workshop in south that will supply and cut plywood to specific dimensions at a reasonable cost? I need 6 20x23inch 3/4inch pieces.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » October 8th, 2018, 11:04 am

mazdatt wrote:Anyone knows any hardware or wood workshop in south that will supply and cut plywood to specific dimensions at a reasonable cost? I need 6 20x23inch 3/4inch pieces.

Not sure but try Ramkalls.

Can't cut it yourself though?

DASSMASS
Street 2NR

Postby DASSMASS » October 8th, 2018, 11:26 am

What is a fair labor price to tile 1087sqft?

Hey guys someone quoted me but I think its kind of high. What is a fair labor cost for such a job. (upstairs and downstairs house...20" ceramic tiles)
20181007_125722.jpeg

mazdatt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mazdatt » October 8th, 2018, 11:52 am

NR8 wrote:
mazdatt wrote:Anyone knows any hardware or wood workshop in south that will supply and cut plywood to specific dimensions at a reasonable cost? I need 6 20x23inch 3/4inch pieces.

Not sure but try Ramkalls.

Can't cut it yourself though?
Would be too much work with a jigsaw...much easier work for a place with a bandsaw

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 8th, 2018, 12:49 pm

check a car speaker box builder
easy work with a table saw

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 8th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Flappers have an overflow built into the tank. Siphon tanks require an additional overflow added to the exterior of the tank.

Upstairs or hardwood floors, flapper. Ground floor or nearby floor drain, siphon.

pugboy wrote:Elephant is the siphon type, you have to crank handle harder to get the water up and over to get the siphon effect moving.
Was most common type long ago but flappers may be more common now.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 8th, 2018, 3:52 pm

DASSMASS wrote:What is a fair labor price to tile 1087sqft?

Hey guys someone quoted me but I think its kind of high. What is a fair labor cost for such a job. (upstairs and downstairs house...20" ceramic tiles)
20181007_125722.jpeg
Isn't this posted somewhere else?

Basic tile setting including grout is about $6-$10 per square foot.

JF.K
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby JF.K » October 12th, 2018, 8:32 am

low-profile wrote:if the holes are big u can put back some mortar but smaller holes can filler. i used fleetwood filler. came in a box and was much better than harricrete concrete filler in my opinion. as for wall preparation, just buy a couple masonry rubbing stones and rub out the loose sand on the walls. make sure to dust it off properly before priming.

if u dont trust the plastering you can use an acrylic sealer before u prime. i was told that poly v can be mixed with water and applied on walls as well. it acts as a sealer. i never tried it though
Just bumping this post for some info..

Can you advise the ratio of Poly V to water that I should use to prime the wall before applying the Primer Paint?
How long after applying the Poly V should I paint with the Primer?
Thanks.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 12th, 2018, 8:42 am

not thick, watery like milk but still white
you want it to soak in
use a spray can and dry wall for it to soak in

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 12th, 2018, 10:10 am

JF.K wrote:Just bumping this post for some info..

Can you advise the ratio of Poly V to water that I should use to prime the wall before applying the Primer Paint?
How long after applying the Poly V should I paint with the Primer?
Thanks.

1 part PVA to 5 parts water (1:5) for a normal surface. 1:6 for a porous surface. That info is usually written on the bottle.

PVA will dry to the touch in an hour and dry completely overnight. You can brush or spray it on. Spraying is messy indoors but will give you a more uniform coat in less time.

I prime the next day.

PVA sealers are also used on gypsum walls for a tougher, smoother painted finish.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » October 13th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Looking for a builder to do a two story house in central. Specifically the foundation, ground floor and decking. Already have approved plan. Someone reliable. Any info appreciated...

R.P.J
Trinituner Peong

Postby R.P.J » October 13th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Any advice on asking town an country or the building inspector at the Corporation to Increase the height of my wall from 4 feet to 7 feet

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » October 29th, 2018, 4:44 pm

rspann wrote:Install a trap. Either put it in the floor, or outside on the line if there is place.

Could you elaborate on those two locations please?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”