Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Kenjo » January 1st, 2020, 8:54 am

rspann wrote::shock: Wey you living ? Next door to the Wasa treatment plant?

Quicker get low pressure than high pressure but I actually do live next to a reservoir . But i guess this guy has had burst pipes before and for the most the at home water pump has a regulator / pressure sensor

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 1st, 2020, 10:08 am

eitech wrote:Is it common to have a pressure regulator on ur service line to ur house? Sometimes i see wasa pressure reaching 85psi.
I believe that you are referring to a water pressure reducing valve. Yes, it is very common. 60 psi is about all you want on a residential line.

There are a few basic ways to supply water to a residence. Even if the supply only runs to the reserve tanks, excess pressure can damage the tank's ballcock valve.
Last edited by adnj on January 1st, 2020, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 1st, 2020, 10:15 am

places near hilly areas usually have high pressure to push water up hill
eg maraval could be 90+

water source has the reducing regulators
not cheap around $1k
online they are about $70usd but heavy
still cheaper than busting pipes in wall

my tanks ball valves in maraval does real vibrate
with the high pressure

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » January 9th, 2020, 5:56 pm

I have this gap to fill and I'm thinking about using expanding foam.My only concern is I don't want anyone just sticking a screwdriver or similar object and easily puncturing and digging out the foam.Any solutions?
20200109_175206.jpeg

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 9th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Rip a 1x4 in half.
Remove the steel on the right side from the post.
Use flat head screws or nails to attach the ripped 1x4 to the post as a spacer.
Reattach the steel.
Sink some additional fasteners through the steel panel into the post.

Edit: corrected right/left.
Last edited by adnj on January 9th, 2020, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 9th, 2020, 9:20 pm

I am assuming that is a wooden frames shed sheeted off with galvanise and the photo shows the hinge to the door on the left.

Get a roofing place to bend a length of flashing in a L shape and fasten to the sheeting at the braces and the post on the left.

Or rip a length of board, ply, teak etc and nail up flush with the sheeting.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » January 13th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Thanks fellas..what is the usual height to raise a lot of land?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 13th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Raise a lot of land? You mean like backfill? Or are you planning to fill in the land so that when you eventually build a house, the house is at a higher elevation than those around it?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 13th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Unless you planning to leave it to settle for a very long period of time, put down your foundation first and then backfill to the required height. It might cost a few blocks more but it will be on solid ground.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » January 14th, 2020, 9:47 am

carluva wrote:Raise a lot of land? You mean like backfill? Or are you planning to fill in the land so that when you eventually build a house, the house is at a higher elevation than those around it?
The latter.The area doesn't flood but I want to be on the safe side.
rspann wrote:Unless you planning to leave it to settle for a very long period of time, put down your foundation first and then backfill to the required height. It might cost a few blocks more but it will be on solid ground.
I was planning to fill the land this year and leave it to settle until next year when I plan to start putting down foundation.How long does it usually have to settle for?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 14th, 2020, 9:52 am

Don't backfill.

Proper settlement may take years. So if you backfill and then dig for foundation, you will have to excavate more to get to a solid base for foundation else run the risk of building on earth that has low load bearing capacity.

Do what spann suggests. Forget backfilling now. Build your foundation a few blocks higher than grade, maybe about 2-3 ft higher. Then backfill that for ground floor and go from there.

After you build, fill in and grade away from house so water will run off away from your house and/or towards drains.

This is a better use of money, backfill and all else, it provides a better build.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » January 16th, 2020, 5:11 am

anyone know the cost of the Skyon polycarbon car cover (shed)? i am trying to compare cost betwwen a regular steel shed and that

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 16th, 2020, 10:31 am

daring dragoon wrote:anyone know the cost of the Skyon polycarbon car cover (shed)? i am trying to compare cost betwwen a regular steel shed and that
When I checked some time ago it was in the vicinity of $10K

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » January 16th, 2020, 7:07 pm

ek4ever wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:anyone know the cost of the Skyon polycarbon car cover (shed)? i am trying to compare cost betwwen a regular steel shed and that
When I checked some time ago it was in the vicinity of $10K

sounding better than building a steel shed

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 17th, 2020, 7:53 pm

u see ghany selling marine grade birch ply now

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » January 17th, 2020, 10:51 pm

I will be going this route instead.Thanks for the suggestions so far fellas.It has been really helpful
carluva wrote:Don't backfill.

Proper settlement may take years. So if you backfill and then dig for foundation, you will have to excavate more to get to a solid base for foundation else run the risk of building on earth that has low load bearing capacity.

Do what spann suggests. Forget backfilling now. Build your foundation a few blocks higher than grade, maybe about 2-3 ft higher. Then backfill that for ground floor and go from there.

After you build, fill in and grade away from house so water will run off away from your house and/or towards drains.

This is a better use of money, backfill and all else, it provides a better build.

marcop2487
Street 2NR

Postby marcop2487 » January 19th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Goodnight folks. Does anyone know the average price to do a foundation for a 2 storey house? Most of the quotes I'm getting range between $150k to $200k. The variance of $50k is quite high.

Also, would you'll recommend using steel I and H beams instead of making box columns and beams?

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » January 20th, 2020, 9:02 am

marcop2487 wrote:Goodnight folks. Does anyone know the average price to do a foundation for a 2 storey house? Most of the quotes I'm getting range between $150k to $200k. The variance of $50k is quite high.

Also, would you'll recommend using steel I and H beams instead of making box columns and beams?
Well you would need to give a size to start with. And the type of soil you have also affects that cost as it would determine how deep they have to go and that would affect labor and concrete costs.
And how much of the foundation are you talking about, slab, columns, beam and decking?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 20th, 2020, 9:52 am

Kronik wrote:Well you would need to give a size to start with. And the type of soil you have also affects that cost as it would determine how deep they have to go and that would affect labor and concrete costs.
And how much of the foundation are you talking about, slab, columns, beam and decking?
+1

marcop2487
Street 2NR

Postby marcop2487 » January 22nd, 2020, 7:43 pm

Kronik wrote:
marcop2487 wrote:Goodnight folks. Does anyone know the average price to do a foundation for a 2 storey house? Most of the quotes I'm getting range between $150k to $200k. The variance of $50k is quite high.

Well you would need to give a size to start with. And the type of soil you have also affects that cost as it would determine how deep they have to go and that would affect labor and concrete costs.
It's a 37 ×30 2 storey design. Flat land. Soil compact and doesn't require any filling.

stout
Ricer

Postby stout » February 1st, 2020, 7:44 am

Good day tuners i recently paid stamp duty as agricultural rate not knowing the land was t&c approved for residential purposes. Can i clam back the difference in stamp duty paid?

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » February 1st, 2020, 8:37 am

hong kong phooey wrote:price of disc on amazon

see dis all over for about $100 TT. Saw it in SWS in marabella tooltime hardware aranguez

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 1st, 2020, 8:38 am

marcop2487 wrote:
Kronik wrote:

It's a 37 ×30 2 storey design. Flat land. Soil compact and doesn't require any filling.

45x30 with a 20x20 garage cost me 240k labour and material

Didnt use decking pan...went the traditional way

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 1st, 2020, 8:49 am

Any roof men in here...or can someone point me in the direction of a RELIABLE person...thanks

Galvatron
Sweet on this forum

Postby Galvatron » February 1st, 2020, 7:38 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Any roof men in here...or can someone point me in the direction of a RELIABLE person...thanks

Cleve

From South...very good, reliable and reasonable.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 1st, 2020, 7:46 pm

Galvatron wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Any roof men in here...or can someone point me in the direction of a RELIABLE person...thanks

Cleve

Last south man I spoke to nearly fall of his chair when he heard my location :lol: (way up east)

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 1st, 2020, 8:51 pm

PM sent.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 2nd, 2020, 6:15 am

Waiting on pm^

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 2nd, 2020, 6:37 am

Check now.

AlliDr
3NE 2NR for life

Postby AlliDr » February 2nd, 2020, 9:54 am

Galvatron wrote:

Cleve

Do not use Cleve unless you want cheap work, he use to do good work a long time ago but no more. I used him on a small roof in Couva, November last year - His finishing work, soffits & flashing is not very good, not level and very untidy. What's more when I pointed out the bad work to him he became defensive and was reluctant to fix it, with comments like "dat is small thing, nobody seeing that" But I saw it and I was paying for it....I eventually had to pay him off 95% of the agreed price and get someone else to repair his work which cost me more than the remaining 5%.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”