Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

eitech
punchin NOS

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby eitech » August 10th, 2018, 9:17 am

Hey guys so my lil house renovations completed and now i have a bunch of old wood, cupboards, carpets aka junk piled up. Anybody into the junk removal business or can recommend?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 10th, 2018, 9:33 am

You can tell the regional corporation, they will send a truck for it

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 10th, 2018, 6:04 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:You can tell the regional corporation, they will send a truck for it

Do i have to mobilize the stuff to the side of the road (may block up road) or will they enter the property and remove it?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 10th, 2018, 6:58 pm

eitech wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:You can tell the regional corporation, they will send a truck for it

Do i have to mobilize the stuff to the side of the road (may block up road) or will they enter the property and remove it?
Not sure...we does put stuff by the road, a truck does pass once for the week
You will have to ask them what the procedure is

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 15th, 2018, 1:43 am

Any of you guys with large LED tvs especially those mounted on stands have implemented any anti tip measures for the tv/furniture?

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » August 15th, 2018, 2:44 am

eitech wrote:Any of you guys with large LED tvs especially those mounted on stands have implemented any anti tip measures for the tv/furniture?

simple measures : use of velcro or sticky back tape under the legs .
or on the wall mount holes(top ones) tread in an m8 bolt( could be other size) and tie a thin wire or nylon thread and secure it .

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 18th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Hey guys a couple questions. Firstly are freezers good investments and if so anyone has experience with the magnum or maxsonic brands?

wonder
Street 2NR

Postby wonder » August 23rd, 2018, 2:17 pm

Gooday guys I currently live in a bonair duplex all I hav is space to the front An space to the back as I am in the middle of my two neighbours can some1 advise me as to how far from my boundary I can extend plz An thank u

Mowally
Street 2NR

Re: Mortgage process

Postby Mowally » August 23rd, 2018, 4:33 pm

Hi, I just want info from folks on this thread.
Did anyone you know or you yourself take a mortgage with TTMF? How long did it take & what issues do the approval panel look out for?
I'll also need help after with renovation of the structure. Thanks for your input.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Re: Mortgage process

Postby ProtonPowder » August 23rd, 2018, 4:42 pm

Mowally wrote:Hi, I just want info from folks on this thread.
Did anyone you know or you yourself take a mortgage with TTMF? How long did it take & what issues do the approval panel look out for?
I'll also need help after with renovation of the structure. Thanks for your input.

Havent taken one myself, but they will look at your and possible spouse/co-mortgagor's credit history, job, income, and debt servicing ratio. They dont like to see your structured debts go past 40% of your income.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 23rd, 2018, 5:27 pm

Mowally wrote:Hi, I just want info from folks on this thread.

I took one for house and land this year. I applied in January and it took 3 mths to close which is the norm. First and foremost do a pre qualification to know how much you qualify for. I didnt encounter any issues as i got all the relevant documents as they asked. I didnt have renovations but you can ask them

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 23rd, 2018, 5:42 pm

We did a couple sales this year with ttmf also and all were within 90-120days.
The 120 days were due to delays by wasa issues or for pending letters from the regional corporation.

2 points to note:
As mentioned before, make sure to do your pre-qualifying interview and find out how much exactly you can get and for what.

Make sure the paperwork form the seller is all in order and that the arent any docs outstanding.

Ttmf will give you a list of what they require from the seller.
Once everything in order, they will complete within 90 days.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 23rd, 2018, 8:38 pm

As we on the topic, anyone knows how long it takes to get a registered deed. I closed since april and still nothing. The lawyers are handling it but is there anyway i could check on my own

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 23rd, 2018, 10:04 pm

eitech wrote:As we on the topic, anyone knows how long it takes to get a registered deed. I closed since april and still nothing. The lawyers are handling it but is there anyway i could check on my own
Usually about a month.

If the deed was registered you have the receipt page with with the new deed #, you can go legal affairs and apply for 1.

But usually the attorney will handle it.

Mowally
Street 2NR

Postby Mowally » August 23rd, 2018, 11:00 pm

If there are any issues with the structure on the property, who will investigate whether its a legal structure. I've a lawyer who's asking me if its a legal structure & the seller said they got confirmation form their surveyor, that the structure is legal.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 24th, 2018, 7:12 am

Mowally wrote:If there are any issues with the structure on the property, who will investigate whether its a legal structure. I've a lawyer who's asking me if its a legal structure & the seller said they got confirmation form their surveyor, that the structure is legal.
What exactly is a legal structure?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 24th, 2018, 7:14 am

*KRONIK* wrote:
Mowally wrote:If there are any issues with the structure on the property, who will investigate whether its a legal structure. I've a lawyer who's asking me if its a legal structure & the seller said they got confirmation form their surveyor, that the structure is legal.

I guess one which has a plan approved by the necessary people...land t&c and the building passed by the building inspector

Shrugs shoulders

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 24th, 2018, 7:15 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:

I guess one which has a plan approved by the necessary people...land t&c and the building passed by the building inspector

Shrugs shoulders
In that case they surveyor cant determine if it legal....

eitech
punchin NOS

Building a house in Trinidad

Postby eitech » August 24th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Hey my carport area has this type of ceiling. How do those holes get there? What could i use to close it up?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 24th, 2018, 4:46 pm

The knot in the wood fell out. It happens when the wood ages or dries. There was something called knot -in can't say who has it now though. Just cut it out with a hole saw and make a plug to put back , stick it with wood glue. Sand it and varnish it back and you like new. You can also replace it with epoxy or any such material.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » August 24th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Given what we just experienced on Tuesday we need to get proper building codes into law. Heard that ppl in the construction industry use international codes as a guide but it's optional. Well when it comes to people's lives safety is NOT merely an option, it should be mandatory, especially as Tuesday's quake wasn't 'the big one' according to seismologists.

Somebody hadda start a petition or something.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 24th, 2018, 8:45 pm

You can use wood filler or automotive body filler. The wood filler is easier to use. Both will need color matching.
eitech wrote:Image

Hey my carport area has this type of ceiling. How do those holes get there? What could i use to close it up?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 24th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Trinidad has codes for fire, structural, civil, electrical and water/sewerage that are supposed to be met to get occupancy certification and building insurance.

They are simply not enforced.
redmanjp wrote:Given what we just experienced on Tuesday we need to get proper building codes into law. Heard that ppl in the construction industry use international codes as a guide but it's optional. Well when it comes to people's lives safety is NOT merely an option, it should be mandatory, especially as Tuesday's quake wasn't 'the big one' according to seismologists.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 24th, 2018, 9:06 pm

There was a need to bond sinks with metallic pipes but IIRC bonding to the equipment ground circuit is not to be done if using nonmetallic pipe and may introduce a voltage differential. This was done because the water supply pipe was also used as an earth ground.

Recent code requires GFCI outlets at all kitchen countertops unless there is a dedicated device.
Strugglerzinc wrote:
eitech wrote:Must your kitchen sink be grounded even if from ur mains to the house and all plumbing is pvc?

Yes, water is a conductor into your metal faucet and sink.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 24th, 2018, 9:20 pm

redmanjp wrote:Given what we just experienced on Tuesday we need to get proper building codes into law. Heard that ppl in the construction industry use international codes as a guide but it's optional. Well when it comes to people's lives safety is NOT merely an option, it should be mandatory, especially as Tuesday's quake wasn't 'the big one' according to seismologists.

:| We already have that. Call the Designs Engineering Branch of the Ministry of Works and Transport and ask them for a copy of the list of codes that they use to evaluate structures in Trinidad and Tobago.

Contact the Bureau of Standards to purchase Trinidad and Tobago standard : guide to the design and construction of small buildings TTS 599: 2006. That guide can be used in the design of small structures up to two storeys in height.

People just put their trust in people who call themselves "builders" in T&T, which 9 times out of 10, is the worst thing for them to do.

I recently did an inspection of a 2NR's house that is being built and which was royally messed up by a "builder". Now the 2NR has to go spend additional money to have retrofitting designed and installed on a new structure.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » August 24th, 2018, 10:30 pm

The point i was making is that according to CNC3 news they said that they use codes but they are OPTIONAL, not mandatory.

vtec-ghost
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vtec-ghost » August 25th, 2018, 10:15 pm

average cost to build a wall - 68 feet and about 9 rows high. Plaster both sides. Thanks
Last edited by vtec-ghost on August 26th, 2018, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » August 26th, 2018, 12:43 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

:| We already have that. Call the Designs Engineering Branch of the Ministry of Works and Transport and ask them for a copy of the list of codes that they use to evaluate structures in Trinidad and Tobago.

Contact the Bureau of Standards to purchase Trinidad and Tobago standard : guide to the design and construction of small buildings TTS 599: 2006. That guide can be used in the design of small structures up to two storeys in height.

People just put their trust in people who call themselves "builders" in T&T, which 9 times out of 10, is the worst thing for them to do.

I recently did an inspection of a 2NR's house that is being built and which was royally messed up by a "builder". Now the 2NR has to go spend additional money to have retrofitting designed and installed on a new structure.

What are some of the telltale and more subtle signs that a 'builder' is ripping you off?

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » August 26th, 2018, 4:45 am

ProtonPowder wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

What are some of the telltale and more subtle signs that a 'builder' is ripping you off?

if he from guyana or speaking spanish... most ah dem buildings make out of wood and they aint know nutting about putting up blocks and sheit properly. look for a trini that accustomed working with TCL cement and abel blocks.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 26th, 2018, 6:54 am

You will need to know what should be done and how it should be done throughout the construction process.

The construction methods should meet or exceed the standards and codes that are published for T&T.

There is quite a bit that a person would need to know.

For the structure:
Foundations of the proper depth and dimension.
Steel rebar of the proper size and configuration.
Concrete of the proper consistency and slump.
Columns and walls properly placed and interconnected.
Floors and walls of the proper thickness and reinforcement.
Staircases of the proper slope and treader depth.
Doorways of the proper size and location.
Lintels properly placed and interconnected.
Conduits and service entrances of the proper size and location.

There would be quite a bit more to keep an eye on when you consider services, roofing, fit-out and civil works.

Then just keep an eye on the project along the way.

ProtonPowder wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”