Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 21st, 2019, 6:05 am

Question for roof men: I saw a roof being fabricated with only C & Z purlin....so yuh know is only bolt and no welding...is that advisable??? This guy actually building the house to sell over

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 21st, 2019, 6:53 am

presumably using the C purlins as the main roof structure, dont think it is acceptable as code
could be very creaky

at least it not as bad as them houses in a gated development crossing between arima and pinto road where they used gypsum framing

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Question for roof men: I saw a roof being fabricated with only C & Z purlin....so yuh know is only bolt and no welding...is that advisable??? This guy actually building the house to sell over

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » March 21st, 2019, 6:59 am

pugboy wrote:at least it not as bad as them houses in a gated development crossing between arima and pinto road where they used gypsum framing

[

Gypsum framing yuh say?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 21st, 2019, 7:00 am

instead of c purlins
roof does be creaking day and night

*KRONIK* wrote:
pugboy wrote:at least it not as bad as them houses in a gated development crossing between arima and pinto road where they used gypsum framing

[

Gypsum framing yuh say?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 21st, 2019, 8:12 am

Standards for hurricane resistant roof structures do not require the use of I beams or welded cleats for certain roof designs. Well designed roofs can be (and are) built using only C-purlins and fasteners for the main structure.

A large, continuous roof with a shallow pitch saves money by using less roof sheathing material but requires a more robust structure to handle the loads.

Higher pitch, discontinuous roof surfaces are more hurricane resistant and have reduced horizontal static loading on the roof spans. They are also more expensive and more difficult to design and build.

Problems with creaking and noise from rain is best handled by an acoustic underlayment or insulated ceiling but not typically installed locally because of cost.

pinkz
Ricer

Postby pinkz » March 21st, 2019, 8:34 am

Fellas..looking for a 30x80 steel back door..any advice or anybody fabricating that here or have for sale?..watsapp me 731-9658..also is it advisable to use those steel sheet panel doors as a backdoor?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 21st, 2019, 8:49 am

Some of them have fiberboard innards
The metal panel is only the outer cosmetic skin

Does swell when wet and throwaway after

pinkz wrote:Fellas..looking for a 30x80 steel back door..any advice or anybody fabricating that here or have for sale?..watsapp me 731-9658..also is it advisable to use those steel sheet panel doors as a backdoor?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 21st, 2019, 8:54 am

Id try and thief ah pic later

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 21st, 2019, 4:38 pm

Would post a pic later but my question is: i notice that on some of my windows (outer), there is a resin that keeps the window glass in d frame. This forms a border. It is cracking up. What can i do to fix that?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 21st, 2019, 7:31 pm

eitech wrote:Would post a pic later but my question is: i notice that on some of my windows (outer), there is a resin that keeps the window glass in d frame. This forms a border. It is cracking up. What can i do to fix that?

Resin or steel putty? if it's steel windows it's putty, dig out and apply some fresh putty.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 21st, 2019, 7:35 pm

rspann wrote:
eitech wrote:Would post a pic later but my question is: i notice that on some of my windows (outer), there is a resin that keeps the window glass in d frame. This forms a border. It is cracking up. What can i do to fix that?

Resin or steel putty? if it's steel windows it's putty, dig out and apply some fresh putty.

it cracked and came out real easy. Almost look like a wooden texture. Whatever i putting back i may wanna paint as well. What kind of putty to ask for?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 21st, 2019, 7:38 pm

pugboy wrote:presumably using the C purlins as the main roof structure, dont think it is acceptable as code
could be very creaky

at least it not as bad as them houses in a gated development crossing between arima and pinto road where they used gypsum framing

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Question for roof men: I saw a roof being fabricated with only C & Z purlin....so yuh know is only bolt and no welding...is that advisable??? This guy actually building the house to sell over

I now renovating/extending a house in Millennium and the roof was built like this as were all the original houses in the development. The purlins were doubled like an I beam and the holes were punched out and the whole thing looks pre-fab. Proper use of cleats , bolts and washers etc.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 21st, 2019, 7:43 pm

eitech wrote:
rspann wrote:

it cracked and came out real easy. Almost look like a wooden texture. Whatever i putting back i may wanna paint as well. What kind of putty to ask for?

Steel putty. It;s mixed to a semi-soft consistency using linseed oil. Apply with a putty knife at a 45 degree angle and it looks real good. When it's dry after a week or so, clean the residue on the glass using a blade and glass cleaner. Don't touch it before to see if it;s dry,

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 21st, 2019, 7:46 pm

That is likely the plastic border that is called a retaining strip or a glazing bead. If you can get a suitable alternate, remove the bead and replace it.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 21st, 2019, 7:52 pm

adnj wrote:That is likely the plastic border that is called a retaining strip or a glazing bead. If you can get a suitable alternate, remove the bead and replace it.

It sounds like it's those local steel tubing windows with putty and not prefab aluminium/ PVC windows since he said it's cracking. Perhaps he could clarify.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 21st, 2019, 7:58 pm

rspann wrote:
adnj wrote:That is likely the plastic border that is called a retaining strip or a glazing bead. If you can get a suitable alternate, remove the bead and replace it.

It sounds like it's those local steel tubing windows with putty and not prefab aluminium/ PVC windows since he said it's cracking. Perhaps he could clarify.

IMG_4418.JPG

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 21st, 2019, 8:09 pm

Yeah, that's steel putty. It will come out easy. Dig out as much as you can clean properly, paint on some rust treatment like red oxide, put on new putty and paint when dry. If you get a good rotary wire wheel and some coarse sand paper those windows will come back like new.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 21st, 2019, 8:12 pm

eitech wrote:
rspann wrote:

IMG_4418.JPG

rspann wrote:Yeah, that's steel putty. It will come out easy. Dig out as much as you can clean properly, paint on some rust treatment like red oxide, put on new putty and paint when dry. If you get a good rotary wire wheel and some coarse sand paper those windows will come back like new.

My response must have been slow...

That is just your basic window glazing compound (window putty). You can pry out what is loose and use a heat gun to soften what won't come off easily.

Like rspann said, your windows look as if they are rusting so scrape and brush off the rust where you can, treat with phosphoric acid (Wonder Plus, etc.), paint with oxide primer, and then apply the glazing compound.

You need to paint glazing compound when it's dry to prevent early cracking. There's lot of info on what to do and how to do it on the web.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 21st, 2019, 8:21 pm

Hummingbird brand linseed oil putty is a good one and doesn't need softening. It dries hard in a week if the weather is good.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » March 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm

adnj wrote:Standards for hurricane resistant roof structures do not require the use of I beams or welded cleats for certain roof designs. Well designed roofs can be (and are) built using only C-purlins and fasteners for the main structure.

A large, continuous roof with a shallow pitch saves money by using less roof sheathing material but requires a more robust structure to handle the loads.

Higher pitch, discontinuous roof surfaces are more hurricane resistant and have reduced horizontal static loading on the roof spans. They are also more expensive and more difficult to design and build.

Problems with creaking and noise from rain is best handled by an acoustic underlayment or insulated ceiling but not typically installed locally because of cost.

I really think you mean C channels and not C purlins. Purlins have too thin a gauge to be used as main structural members in the roof.

Anyhow, the Small Building Code gives recommendations for what sizes and shape of structural steel you should use for the roof rafters based the frame spacing, beam span and type of roof covering being used.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 22nd, 2019, 7:58 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:I really think you mean C channels and not C purlins. Purlins have too thin a gauge to be used as main structural members in the roof.

Anyhow, the Small Building Code gives recommendations for what sizes and shape of structural steel you should use for the roof rafters based the frame spacing, beam span and type of roof covering being used.

I was referring to flanged C-purlins attached back-to-back.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 22nd, 2019, 8:15 am

when using purlins to construct things just make sure they arent screwed flat to flat where the actual attachment
is just a single thread of a roofing screw or bolt to pull out.

eg we had a shed where the Z purlin was screwed to the C purling on the flat of the Z to the C and not via the proper way on the vertical face of the Z.
A year later with some strong winds they pulled out.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 23rd, 2019, 7:15 am

rspann wrote:Hummingbird brand linseed oil putty is a good one and doesn't need softening. It dries hard in a week if the weather is good.

Got this in hardware yesterday. So i clean out old rust, red oxide prime, then apply putty? Once cured, what’s d preferred paint? Oil or emulsion?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 23rd, 2019, 8:05 am

eitech wrote:
rspann wrote:Hummingbird brand linseed oil putty is a good one and doesn't need softening. It dries hard in a week if the weather is good.

Got this in hardware yesterday. So i clean out old rust, red oxide prime, then apply putty? Once cured, what’s d preferred paint? Oil or emulsion?

Never use emulsion on metal, it will cause more rust. Use oil, or there are types of latex that are made for metal. You get these at Benjamin Moore Sherwin Williams etc , but they are verrry expensive. I paid around $800 for a gallon. If you put on enough coats of oil paint, especially if rain hits the window, you won't have any problems for years. I just remembered, misra paints has a water based for metals, and it's not as pricey.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 23rd, 2019, 8:11 am

that paint by misra is a glossy paint or matt type ?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 23rd, 2019, 8:22 am

pugboy wrote:that paint by misra is a glossy paint or matt type ?

All different kinds. There is a semi gloss white for the windows that's real nice. They have paint to spray on decking pan directly without etch priming. Saw a friend use a sort of metallic looking red, it looks outstanding.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 23rd, 2019, 9:10 am

rspann wrote:
eitech wrote:

Never use emulsion on metal, it will cause more rust. Use oil, or there are types of latex that are made for metal. You get these at Benjamin Moore Sherwin Williams etc , but they are verrry expensive. I paid around $800 for a gallon. If you put on enough coats of oil paint, especially if rain hits the window, you won't have any problems for years. I just remembered, misra paints has a water based for metals, and it's not as pricey.

Yea i actually had gotten d oil paint already, a cheap quart for now

pinkz
Ricer

Postby pinkz » March 26th, 2019, 9:01 am

Fellas i looking for a good plumber to install plumbing for 2 toilets,2 showers,a bathroom sink and a kitchen sink..preferably central/couva area..pm me numbers..thanks

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » March 26th, 2019, 11:40 am

pinkz wrote:Fellas i looking for a good plumber to install plumbing for 2 toilets,2 showers,a bathroom sink and a kitchen sink..preferably central/couva area..pm me numbers..thanks
Darren 3249287

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » March 26th, 2019, 2:10 pm

pinkz wrote:Fellas i looking for a good plumber to install plumbing for 2 toilets,2 showers,a bathroom sink and a kitchen sink..preferably central/couva area..pm me numbers..thanks
7314403 Ricky

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”