Forums

***THE FARMERS CHED***

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: ***THE FARMERS CHED***

Postby X_Factor » July 13th, 2015, 2:45 pm

for those citrus and perennials leaching may not be an issue because of root depth depending on the age of the tree

but for veg crops, fibrous root systems....it would surely play a role there

u can probably call CAS agri supplies and find out if they sell a triple 20 pellet

lipstick war
Street 2NR

Postby lipstick war » July 14th, 2015, 10:02 am

Will try them thanks

Hamtonic
Ricer

Postby Hamtonic » July 23rd, 2015, 6:56 am

@Lipstick war as X_Factor said you rarely find granular 20-20-20, you'll get mostly powder. I did find some a while back in a plant shop can't remember which one tho. To me it worked pretty much like blaukorn no sig diff, you get a much more noticeable performace with the soluble because of the faster uptake by the plant . A trick you can use tho if you insist on getting a slow release mechanism for the fertilizer is use the 20-20-20 soluble, make the solution and soak some (ideally) wood shavings or saw dust (check any woodwork shop). Once they've absorbed all the solution then use them as mulch at the base of the plants or ideally work them into the soil at the base of the plant. Honestly I think it's a bit too much work and I'd just go with the blaukorn or if you really want slow release however a bit more expensive go with osmocote they have a 14-14-14.

As ABA said I recommend Southern Chemicals on Ramsaran Street in Chag they're more of a hardcore farmer agri shop as oppose to ornamental plant shop but their prices are really good. If you're looking for Basagran for nutgrass (nutsedge)/water grass(dayflower) they stock it and for less than most other places. The only issue with them is their location. While convenient they're right opposite licensing office in Chag so there is always traffic and parking can be a bit annoying.

@DVSTT I've got a buddy that recently bought one of those Worx electric trimmers from pricesmart and he can't stop raving about it. Sad part is he's using it on all the types of grass that should wreck an electric trimmer like bamboo and razor grass and he claims it's destroying them. If I needed another electric trimmer I might get once but I bought one of the B&D ones a while back and as you said they're for just as they say edging. Don't even try to trim the whole lawn with them especially if it's heavy grass the motor will just start to over heat and act up.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » July 23rd, 2015, 6:59 am

I bought a 1 liter basagran yesterday in southern chemicals for $170

Will let you know if it works

Also bought a small bottle of glyphos? For use on pondgrass

Hamtonic
Ricer

Postby Hamtonic » July 23rd, 2015, 8:23 pm

@ABA I bought a 1 liter bottle from them as well a week or 2 back. Most importantly before you use basgran make sure you've got surfactant (sticker chemical) o hand to mix with the basagran in your pump sprayer for application. I use Surf-ac 820 it's usually $20/250ml. You need the surfactant otherwise the basagran won't hold onto the weeds and allow for proper absorption. I mix at a ratio of 250ml basagran : 250ml surf-ac : 20 gal water. Ideally the weeds should be in their rapid growth stage there's a chat in the booklet stating how tall they should be etc. The weeds should also be in normal growth conditions, good soil moisture etc. It's best to spray early in the morning 6-7ish on dry mornings clear morning so that way the chemical is on the plant and dried all day and allow for maximum uptake during photosynthesis. Lastly follow up with a second spray 7-10 days later. I've actually got to do my second spray tomorrow morning.

Hamtonic
Ricer

Postby Hamtonic » July 23rd, 2015, 8:32 pm

This first time I used basagran I mixed it too weak and without the surfactant. There was limited results and the weeds didn't die out completely. The second time I used the surfactant and higher mix ratio and well it worked like a charm especially with the second dose. Unfortunately one of my neighbors do not up keep their yard and I eventually get get seeds coming back over with time. One of reasons I'm converting my yard from savannah to zoysia the ticker mat when zoysia is cut high is suppose to make it more difficult for weed establishment.

There's another product called sedge ender I've been reading up on that's suppose to work better than basagran and works both for pre and post emergence of sedges. Unfortunately no shop I've checked thus far carries or has ever carried it.

lipstick war
Street 2NR

Postby lipstick war » July 23rd, 2015, 10:00 pm

What is the active ingredient for basagran?

Hamtonic
Ricer

Postby Hamtonic » July 24th, 2015, 8:50 am

@ lipstick war the active ingredient is Bentazon

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » July 26th, 2015, 11:49 am

Hamtonic you have any experience with the chemical termidor sc? Its what they use to kill the termites that tunnel into your walls and leave the mud tracks on the outside. I see it on amazon, havent had luck finding it locally

Hamtonic
Ricer

Postby Hamtonic » July 31st, 2015, 5:58 pm

@ABA nope can't say I have any experience with termidor sc. For subterranean bugs I recently used bifenthrin for my mole cricket problem brand name is sold as talstar or masterline. It's also used as a termincide according to the booklet. It's a bit pricey but it worked for my problem a 16oz bottle is going to run you around $140 and you can get it from Provar distributors in Monroe Road.

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » August 15th, 2015, 12:45 am

Anyone ever tried to grow Bermuda grass? The Scott's turf ones that come in the bag?

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » September 6th, 2015, 1:52 am

Planted some lime seeds in a bucket back in August (~10th) and finally got me some seedlings this week. I've been researching ways to grow them and many people say it's possible to control citrus in pots by increasing the size which would determine how big the tree gets while still getting them to bear fruit.

Interested in this method as I don't have room for all of them in my yard for when they fully develop (which I know takes a long time) :lol:
So far I have about 5 seedlings.

Has anyone had any experience with this???

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 6th, 2015, 11:22 am

Bless mih a lime plant nah!

lipstick war
Street 2NR

Postby lipstick war » September 8th, 2015, 10:26 am

Hamtonic where sells pyrethrins?

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » October 4th, 2015, 11:49 pm

Hamtonic wrote:This first time I used basagran I mixed it too weak and without the surfactant. There was limited results and the weeds didn't die out completely. The second time I used the surfactant and higher mix ratio and well it worked like a charm especially with the second dose. Unfortunately one of my neighbors do not up keep their yard and I eventually get get seeds coming back over with time. One of reasons I'm converting my yard from savannah to zoysia the ticker mat when zoysia is cut high is suppose to make it more difficult for weed establishment.

There's another product called sedge ender I've been reading up on that's suppose to work better than basagran and works both for pre and post emergence of sedges. Unfortunately no shop I've checked thus far carries or has ever carried it.

anyone ever tried Sedgehammer? it is sold on Amazon. a landscaper told me it is the best for sedges. There is a purple and yellow sedge but basagran is not effective for the purple, he said. so the type of sedge most predominant has to be checked.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » October 5th, 2015, 12:14 am

supercharged turbo wrote:When rain falls,it would get soft but grass never grows.Need a solution as I would like to see it looking "lush and green".

looks like you have a big tree/s in your yard. you need sunlight on the grass to grow, that may be part of the problem.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » October 5th, 2015, 12:28 am

what do you seasoned farmers recommend for planting a couple of acres when it comes to controlling the grass and weeds in the crop? what might be the better crops to plant to keep down the weeds?

was thinking of pumpkin so i can cut with a tractor every six months or so after the crop. or maybe cassava as the crop would be there for a year.

after brush cutting, is it better to plough the whole beds or just the center to loosen the soil? the beds are already there from before as the land was not worked for 3 years.

need some advice as don't have full time to dedicate to it but need to keep it planted to get my lease. don't need to make a lot of money, just breaking even will work for now if it would take the least labour / time to dedicate to the crop.

so looking forward to your advice!!

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 6th, 2015, 4:51 pm

so how vehicle prices gonna look with total exemptions now people?

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » October 7th, 2015, 8:10 am

ABA Trading LTD wrote:so how vehicle prices gonna look with total exemptions now people?

Guess the stealahships going bump up their price a little bit knowing farmers still going save.

TriniAutoMart
Riding on 16's

Postby TriniAutoMart » October 7th, 2015, 4:14 pm

What type of lawn grass you guys would recommend that can grow easily in Trinidad and need little maintenance. I want something that looks really good.

Where would be the best place to source the grass you recommend?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 7th, 2015, 4:36 pm

1: I have seen bermuda grass strive pretty well down here(seeds can be found at major agri shops)

2: Some people use doob(unsure of spelling) grass as a form of lawns(visit) any tradition Indian home and just pull out by the roots and replant) if you ask me its very easy to maintain,looks nice too.

3: then there is the expensive turf grass

4:zoysia is another very common type..........easy to find,very hard to grow,looks decent when you if you get it to grow good....

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 7th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Yup catching my ass with zoysia....them thing need constant water

TriniAutoMart
Riding on 16's

Postby TriniAutoMart » October 8th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Thanks for the advice shake

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » October 8th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Are starch mangoes trees grafted, or can be planted straight from seed?

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » October 8th, 2015, 5:58 pm

grafted

TriniAutoMart
Riding on 16's

Postby TriniAutoMart » October 12th, 2015, 11:37 am

Need some help with some flowers.
I bought a couple zinnia plants along with some other stuff.
Everything else is fine except the zinnias.
The entire plant is wilting.
I had it in the gallery where it would not get much sun.
Any ideas on what I can do to save it?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 12th, 2015, 11:47 am

Where do they sell Anti Biotics for Lethal yellowing disease on coconut trees? anywhere locally?

This disease will kill any size of trees, its annoying.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » October 12th, 2015, 7:58 pm

TAM, you buy zinnias? If you water too much the whole plant would turn yellow and die due to root rot. Take it out of the pot and check. Yellowing would start in the rips of the leaves I think and from the bottom up. Water with half ah chubby every 3-4 days depending on the weather. Less is more like at Harris Megastore lol.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 12th, 2015, 8:07 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Where do they sell Anti Biotics for Lethal yellowing disease on coconut trees? anywhere locally?

This disease will kill any size of trees, its annoying.

caribbean chemicals

uwi agriculture department for more info if you so desire.

android79
3NE 2NR for life

Postby android79 » October 12th, 2015, 8:35 pm

fellas ah looking for gypsum pellets ah not finding any, link me nah.
Attachments
IMG_1420_large.jpg
IMG_1420_large.jpg (97.83 KiB) Viewed 2788 times

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”