Forums

***THE FARMERS CHED***

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: ***THE FARMERS CHED***

Postby adnj » February 20th, 2019, 7:45 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Fellas I dunno who could guide me...

I now backfill a lot of land, what's the quickest or recommended way for me to get some soft lawn/Savannah type grass to grow ( easy Ting for lawnmower to push)

Advise meh before mud and bamboo grass take over.

The easiest grass to grow locally in a well lit area is digitaria ciliaris (also called tropical finger grass) or most any digitaria subtype. These are some of the most aggressive grasses in the world.

The fastest and easiest way is to cut some turf from an area that has it growing well. Cut and plant two inch squares about a foot apart.

Water it lightly everyday for about two weeks or wait to plant during the rainy season. Afterward, water as required.

You will need to spray a 2,4-D Amine or Actril DS solution (4 ml per liter) every 4 to 6 weeks. Spot treat unwanted weeds with paraquat. Fertilizer is not required and digitaria outcompetes most grasses in poor soils.

The grass runners will spread above (stolons) and below (rhizomes) ground. If you don't cut the grass for a few weeks it will go to seed (inflorescence) and also spread that way.
Last edited by adnj on February 20th, 2019, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 21st, 2019, 5:57 am

Million dollar info there^

Other question: finger grass(seeds) available in garden shops??

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 21st, 2019, 9:23 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Million dollar info there^

Other question: finger grass(seeds) available in garden shops??
I have seen it available online. You can find it in many public green spaces. It won't give you look of a golf course putting green but if you want a low maintenance, hardy grass, it's hard to beat.

Pics of cut and uncut grass.

BTW, I have also seen it propagated by cutting the stolons off established and just spreading on moist ground.ImageImage

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 21st, 2019, 10:40 am

I like the look and feel of doob grass though...looks pretty simple to maintain but difficult to get going

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 21st, 2019, 10:57 am

I have a lawn of a type of dhoob grass called Tifway 419 hybrid Bermuda.

Bermuda is more sensitive to watering, needs more fertilizer and needs more mowing than finger grass. But it is simpler to keep weed free.

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:I like the look and feel of doob grass though...looks pretty simple to maintain but difficult to get going

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » February 21st, 2019, 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info bro. I'll look around and keep my eye out

the finger grass looking like the way to go for me...

Ground is bare and needs a ton of prep work and levelling. And sadly the entire lot needs to be done by hand now because fencing went up..

This is the mess that it's in atm
IMG_20190221_193851.jpeg

daron
Sweet on this forum

Postby daron » February 21st, 2019, 8:28 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Thanks for the info bro. I'll look around and keep my eye out

Ground is bare and needs a ton of prep work and levelling. And sadly the entire lot needs to be done by hand now because fencing went up..

This is the mess that it's in atm
IMG_20190221_193851.jpeg
Pass through palmiste park.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 21st, 2019, 9:16 pm

This is the mess that it's in atmIMG_20190221_193851.jpeg

That dirt looking like sapate....maybe im wrong, but is pressure to get good stuff to grow in that

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » February 21st, 2019, 9:42 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:

That dirt looking like sapate....maybe im wrong, but is pressure to get good stuff to grow in that
Sapate it is... It's the only thing I could've gotten to fill that land within the timeframe before bricks get layed. Price of dirt and transport these days ridiculous

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 22nd, 2019, 5:01 am

nick639v2 wrote:

Sapate it is... It's the only thing I could've gotten to fill that land within the timeframe before bricks get layed. Price of dirt and transport these days ridiculous

only thing I could think about trying is getting some good top soil when you ready to plant the lawn...it's 50-50 but you could try it...

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 22nd, 2019, 8:06 am

Finger grass grows well in compacted soil and clay, needs very little fertilizer and tolerates dry and overly wet conditions better than most grasses.

Start the planting now by planting only a section of the lot. You can add top soil in four inch spots and plant your plugs there and/or use high phosphorous starting fertilizer if you want faster results.

Once the grass starts to grow, you can cut from the established grass and use that to fill in bare spots. You can cut runners that have more than four shoots and plant them a couple of inches in the ground even if they have no roots.

When it's time to level, scape the ground or add soil. The finger grass will cover it in a few weeks once established. Continue to spot-spray weed killer on weeds that are actively growing.

When it's time to cut the grass, use a mower with a sharp blade. Cut at the highest level that you can (about 4 inches) during the dry season. Don't cut below 2 inches or scalp the grass and don't cut away more than 1/3 of the height of the grass in any one cutting.

nick639v2 wrote:

only thing I could think about trying is getting some good top soil when you ready to plant the lawn...it's 50-50 but you could try it...

mudderhead
Riding on 13's

Postby mudderhead » March 8th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Good day people ...can any one give me an idea of the maturity date and the expected yield per plant for the following crops for an acre of each:
tomato
pak choi
chive
celery
parsley
spinach
lettuce
pumpkin
cucumber
squash.
melongene

mudderhead
Riding on 13's

Postby mudderhead » March 8th, 2019, 1:28 pm

dell4sell wrote:Fellas, anybody in the ched grows barbadine? I have about an acre of land lapsing and i fed up cut and spray grass.. Bamboo going crazy too.. I had two barbadine and saved the seeds and they sprouted a few days ago. Was thinking about reusing the bamboo stalks to make up some trellises for it so at least the land will be used. The area rains like every day or two but its a slope so it runs off fast. Anybody have any experience with barbadine or any other crops i could utilise the area for on a trellis?

Is there land still available and where is it located?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 8th, 2019, 5:16 pm

tomato giving away these days
look like them farmers overplant after the floods

good quality too, some of the deepest red flavourful tomatoes
not watery like the imported ones

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » March 8th, 2019, 8:44 pm

pugboy wrote:tomato giving away these days
look like them farmers overplant after the floods

good quality too, some of the deepest red flavourful tomatoes
not watery like the imported ones
For sure, first time in my life I eat a tomato and it was genuinely like a sweet fruit!

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 8th, 2019, 11:51 pm

it nice and flavourful because they letting it ripen on the tree because it so cheap

normally they pick it green and spray a chemical on it to ripen overnight

$2 a lb for tomatoes lol
buy and freeze!

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 10th, 2019, 8:11 am

mudderhead wrote:Good day people ...can any one give me an idea of the maturity date and the expected yield per plant for the following crops for an acre of each:
tomato
pak choi
chive
celery
parsley
spinach
lettuce
pumpkin
cucumber
squash.
melongene

I can tell you about
Cucumber: 6 weeks to grow, can last up to another 6 weeks with good picking( depending on type you choose to plant)...on avg you can get as little as $50 per bag or $1000 per bag, all depends on the market...speaking from experience....

Tomato: have to treat this crop like a baby otherwise you will loss big time..

Pumpkin: avg 3 month crop...best time to target the market is for diwali...so check 3 months before...its better to get some1 to actually come into your garden, pick and buy from you...might sell @$1 per lb wholesale...but you can get over 80,000 lbs in a good acre...

Never did the others, citrus is the way to go...especially limes and lemons

mudderhead
Riding on 13's

Postby mudderhead » March 10th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Looking for drip tape to purchase...any recommendations...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 20th, 2019, 5:53 am

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 20th, 2019, 6:31 pm

so carnival tuesday i plant

pimento,hot pepper,sweet pepper, pumpkin, chive, parsley, tomatoes, cauliflower,lettuce, patchoi,cabbage,cucumber,baigan,bandania

studying what fertilizer i could use on all of them mc

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 21st, 2019, 6:08 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:so carnival tuesday i plant

pimento,hot pepper,sweet pepper, pumpkin, chive, parsley, tomatoes, cauliflower,lettuce, patchoi,cabbage,cucumber,baigan,bandania

Ah lil rooting salt in beginning 12-24-12
Blaukorn
Urea

Depending on where you plant it and the type of soil there are other things to be used

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 21st, 2019, 9:25 am

I agree with shake about the fertilizer: a high phosphorous fertizer while the plants are becoming established followed by a maintenance fertilizer.

Starting fertilizers have an NPK ratio of about 1:2:1 (like 12-24-12)

Maintenance fertilizers typically have ratio of about 3:1:2.
If you mix 2 cups of Blaukorn (12-12-17) with 1 cup of urea (47-0-0) you will get an NPK of about 24-8-12 which is a ratio of 3:1:2.

That said, the only way to be certain of what your plants need is to go to the trouble of getting a soil analysis. You may find that you need something completely different.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » March 21st, 2019, 9:32 am

kasanic with some 10-52-10 or the 12-24-12 and calcium
but its already 14 days since u plant, they should have been on the second fertilizer dosing

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 21st, 2019, 10:37 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:so carnival tuesday i plant

what size land you put these on??

different fertilizers would affect the plants differently...then how much of each etc etc...or is it one of each

Kish
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Kish » March 25th, 2019, 10:37 am

Some of my organic aquaponics chives here ready to sell. No chemical pesticides or fertilizers. I have a backup set about 100 growing up, but planning to convert this entire system for just chives.
54524681_2217380914974234_7014334188878823424_o.jpg

lalloboy101
Sweet on this forum

Postby lalloboy101 » April 1st, 2019, 11:33 am

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/labour-s ... 8e76881c79

Labour shortage cripple T&T farms

Foreign volunteers work for free in Moruga

Sat Mar 30 2019

Giselle Granger gets ready to sell pumpkins through the La Lune community.
Nike Windmueller from Germany lifts a pumpkin from One Family Farms.
Caitlin Bannon tends to the cabbages at One Family Farms.

Nike Windmueller from Germany lifts a pumpkin from One Family Farms. © Kristian De Silva

Labour short­ages have crip­pled many farms across T&T but in one farm in the sleepy vil­lage of Moru­ga, dozens of vol­un­teers from around the world are com­ing to work for free.

In re­turn, they get to ex­pe­ri­ence the Tri­ni life which many of us take for grant­ed.

The for­eign­ers come from 120 coun­tries across the world in­clud­ing the Unit­ed States, Cana­da, Eng­land, Ire­land, Scot­land, France, Greece, Ger­many, Aus­tria, and New Zealand. They get free food and lodg­ing at One Fam­i­ly Farms, owned by Giselle Granger, at La Lune Vil­lage, near the south­ern coast. The salty sea breeze smell wafts across the farm where cab­bages, mint, pump­kins, patchoi, bread­fruit, let­tuce, chive, toma­toes, pep­pers, me­l­on­gene, and corn grow.

Dur­ing an ex­clu­sive in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia on Fri­day, Granger said she opened her doors to the world in 2014 when she signed up as a host with the Will­ing Work­ers on Or­gan­ic Farms (WWOOF) pro­gramme.

On its web­site, WWOOF was list­ed as a "world­wide move­ment link­ing vol­un­teers with or­gan­ic farm­ers and grow­ers to pro­mote cul­tur­al and ed­u­ca­tion­al ex­pe­ri­ences based on trust and non-mon­e­tary ex­change". Granger said al­though some may think open­ing their home to strangers was risky, she has nev­er re­gret­ted her de­ci­sion to share her life with oth­ers.

"I nev­er had a fear for no­body. When I was grow­ing up my dad Nor­ie­ga Granger use to in­vite com­plete strangers in­to our home to lime and my moth­er (Amelia Granger) used to get vex. I en­joy liv­ing here and shar­ing ex­pe­ri­ences with oth­er peo­ple from all around the world," Granger said.

She added that the "Wwoofers" who come to her home are al­ways will­ing to work.

"They don't hes­i­tate to do any­thing. When we har­vest, we put all the pro­duce in the back of the wag­on and we dri­ve down the street honk­ing the horn and sell­ing. They think do­ing that is great fun," she said. Granger said the for­eign­ers cook for them­selves and use the pro­duce from the gar­den to make their own meals.

"I teach them how to cook our kind of food as well as oth­er prod­ucts such as tamarind sauce, pre­serves, and pep­per sauce," she said.

"They say they ben­e­fit more from me but I don't think so. I ben­e­fit more from them be­cause they re­al­ly help me with grow­ing the crops and even sell­ing it."

The for­eign­ers stay a max­i­mum of five-and-a-half months once they get an ex­ten­sion of stay from the T&T Im­mi­gra­tion de­part­ment.

'En­joy­ing vil­lage life and Tri­ni food'

Many of the for­eign­ers said their ex­pe­ri­ences at One Fam­i­ly Farms had changed their mind­set about T&T's neg­a­tive in­ter­na­tion­al im­age.

Rich Mer­ring­ton, a pri­ma­ry school teacher from Eng­land said, "We have read the trav­el ad­vi­sories and at first we were hes­i­tant to come but our ex­pe­ri­ences here have been great!"

He added, "This is one big com­mu­ni­ty where peo­ple cook from one big pot and on evenings they come to­geth­er for a big lime. We don't have that kind of com­mu­ni­ty life where I come from; every­one eat­ing, drink­ing and lim­ing to­geth­er. The taste of the food is awe­some. Dou­bles is just bril­liant! Be­fore I came here I've nev­er heard of patchoi but I love it. I nev­er ate ochroes. In Eng­land, we have more root veg­eta­bles like pota­toes, turnips." He said the cost of liv­ing was cheap­er in T&T com­pared to oth­er places.

His girl­friend Caitlin Ban­non, 26, a po­di­a­trist of Sun­der­land, Eng­land, said Trinidad has been one of their best ex­pe­ri­ences when it comes to food.

She said Granger's co­conut rice was de­light­ful adding that she has be­come ad­dict­ed to tamarind sauce. Hav­ing been on tour with Mer­ring­ton for al­most two years, Ban­non said they vis­it­ed Mex­i­co, US, Cana­da, Cu­ba, Bar­ba­dos, Grena­da, and St Lu­cia.

"Here is a to­tal­ly dif­fer­ent ex­pe­ri­ence. For ex­am­ple, we have no hot wa­ter here. We show­er with cold wa­ter. There is a cur­tain hang­ing from the bath­room so there isn't any re­al pri­va­cy and that got some get­ting used to, but I love Giselle and our time here has been so won­der­ful. I've felt so safe here be­cause she looks af­ter us re­al­ly well," Ban­non added.

Anouck Roignot from France, a re­searcher in ge­ol­o­gy, said she too loved Trinidad as a des­ti­na­tion.

"I had gone to an­oth­er Caribbean is­land be­fore and they told me to be care­ful when I get here be­cause there is so much crime. Now that I have met so many won­der­ful peo­ple, I am not afraid. Every­thing here is so green and beau­ti­ful," Roignot said.

Ruthy Woodring, a trash hauli­er from Mass­a­chu­setts, US, said the best part of Moru­ga was walk­ing down the street and hav­ing many peo­ple to speak to.

"I ride a bi­cy­cle to haul trash and I no­ticed there aren't many bikes here so I have ac­cess to bikes and I want to ship down some for the peo­ple here so they can ride through the coun­try­side. There are re­al­ly good peo­ple in Moru­ga," she added. Woodring built a bench out of bam­boo as well as a trel­lis for the plants.

Nike Wind­mueller from Ger­many, who re­turns to her home­land in April, said she lived in big cities all her life where every­thing is bought in a su­per­mar­ket.

"We got a tour through the area and they were point­ing out what grass could be used for dif­fer­ent things. They are at one with the en­vi­ron­ment," she said. Wind­mueller said she was as­ton­ished to see the plants she cul­ti­vat­ed grow­ing so rapid­ly.

"Where I live there was no place to plant. Every­one here is so full of ques­tions. I have been to 20 dif­fer­ent coun­tries and the fam­i­ly spir­it that ex­ists here among peo­ple who are not blood re­lat­ed is re­al­ly won­der­ful," Wind­mueller said.

Lee­ja Fri­day, a Tri­ni mem­ber of the farm said the vol­un­teer pro­gramme had ben­e­fit­ed the com­mu­ni­ty of Moru­ga.

"I feel very nice hav­ing them around. It is nice to meet peo­ple from all over the world. They have taught me to do many things. Shar­ing and learn­ing from each oth­er is a good thing," Fri­day added.

Nice initiative!

popozan
Riding on 13's

Postby popozan » April 1st, 2019, 12:04 pm

Why would u say citrus is the way to go? What about mangoes or pommecythere as long term crops? Heck, what about COCONUT?

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » April 1st, 2019, 3:44 pm

I was advised of the same thing. Citrus , especially white grapefruit is in short supply. However, less than 10 acres may not be sufficiently viable.
popozan wrote:Why would u say citrus is the way to go? What about mangoes or pommecythere as long term crops? Heck, what about COCONUT?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 1st, 2019, 4:04 pm

I find the white grapefruit this year real nice, not loaded with seeds like them orange and portugal

a lot of the big farmers using venes for harvesting and paying per basket harvested

popozan
Riding on 13's

Postby popozan » April 1st, 2019, 10:16 pm

White grapefruit better than pink mash? Look how tings change na.

What about mangoes? I hear cutlass mango very expensive.

*We talking long term crops here*

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”