Forums

***THE FARMERS CHED***

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kish
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: ***THE FARMERS CHED***

Postby Kish » October 11th, 2018, 3:34 am

Things hard on the tech side so was trying some home aquaponics. The only issue is the bugs. I'm trying not to use pesticides but those grasshoppers and caterpillars just not giving up. This was from my last batch of pak choi. Want to go large scale with this size after about 5 weeks in the system, but I need to figure out how to deal with the pests.
43000448_1973791695999825_6540222941030776832_o.jpg

42980323_1973791655999829_6678671916191973376_n.jpg

ftitan
Street 2NR

Postby ftitan » October 11th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Anyone know a backhoe I can hire to clear 2 acres in Coalmine, Grande side? Also how much would that usually cost? It's an abandoned cocoa estate with bamboo on it.

Geek-e-Zone wrote:Things hard on the tech side so was trying some home aquaponics. The only issue is the bugs. I'm trying not to use pesticides but those grasshoppers and caterpillars just not giving up. This was from my last batch of pak choi. Want to go large scale with this size after about 5 weeks in the system, but I need to figure out how to deal with the pests.

Try placing or intercropping with crops that repel those insects. I have a DWC aquaponics setup and had a huge problem with insects until I mixed it with basil and some other herb (can't remember the name). The presence of insects decreased but wasn't eliminated.

Could also set bug traps for them or use organic and natural pesticides like neem oil. I haven't tested the neem oil yet but I heard it's relatively safe. Can't confirm it though. Just try not to get too much in the water. Look up Integrated Pest Management techniques for aquaponics.

Link for info if intercropping doesn't work:
https://university.upstartfarmers.com/b ... -your-fish

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » October 12th, 2018, 9:51 am

ftitan wrote:Anyone know a backhoe I can hire to clear 2 acres in Coalmine, Grande side? Also how much would that usually cost? It's an abandoned cocoa estate with bamboo on it.

Geek-e-Zone wrote:Things hard on the tech side so was trying some home aquaponics. The only issue is the bugs. I'm trying not to use pesticides but those grasshoppers and caterpillars just not giving up. This was from my last batch of pak choi. Want to go large scale with this size after about 5 weeks in the system, but I need to figure out how to deal with the pests.

Try placing or intercropping with crops that repel those insects. I have a DWC aquaponics setup and had a huge problem with insects until I mixed it with basil and some other herb (can't remember the name). The presence of insects decreased but wasn't eliminated.

Could also set bug traps for them or use organic and natural pesticides like neem oil. I haven't tested the neem oil yet but I heard it's relatively safe. Can't confirm it though. Just try not to get too much in the water. Look up Integrated Pest Management techniques for aquaponics.

Link for info if intercropping doesn't work:
https://university.upstartfarmers.com/b ... -your-fish

can confirm the neem oil (NeemX) on lettuce. it works on keeping the aphids and worms away.

Kish
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Kish » October 12th, 2018, 10:10 am

Thanks for the tips. I'll try planting some mint and other stuff between them. I did try neem oil but it didn't seem to work that well.

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » October 12th, 2018, 10:19 am

Boi like I have something cutting out meh leaves like a timber jack...

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 12th, 2018, 12:51 pm

...tried neem oil on some tomato and flowering plants as well. It works but you have to keep up the treatments especially if they're exposed to rainfall.

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » October 15th, 2018, 7:57 am

ADONI wrote:Boi like I have something cutting out meh leaves like a timber jack...

bachac??? caterpillars?? cant think of anything else.

spray for caterpillars, trebon with trivap mix
use bachac bait for a semi permanent solution. thing is that they come back after some months. a 2nd dose should finish the job

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 15th, 2018, 8:39 am

fastac in they muddac**t

https://agriculture.basf.com/us/en/Crop ... ac-CS.html

Fastac CS insecticide is an effective tool with excellent knockdown and residual, all in an enhanced formulation. It works on a broad spectrum of piercing, sucking and chewing insect pests with an enhanced handling experience. When used with Priaxor® fungicide, Fastac CS insecticide can maximize yield potential.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 15th, 2018, 8:43 am

fastac is a regular contact type pesticide
how long to wash/wear off before crops can be consumed by humans ?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 15th, 2018, 10:47 am

pugboy wrote:fastac is a regular contact type pesticide
how long to wash/wear off before crops can be consumed by humans ?
Some say two days, some say say more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethroid
https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=785&tid=153

ftitan
Street 2NR

Postby ftitan » October 16th, 2018, 10:57 am

Still looking for a tractor/backhoe number for some acres in Grande side..Got a number for someone who wanted 2k a day and said it will take 5 days to clear 2 acres...If that's the norm then I better sharpen my cutlass and pull out my brushcutter yes..

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » October 16th, 2018, 11:15 pm

ftitan wrote:Still looking for a tractor/backhoe number for some acres in Grande side..Got a number for someone who wanted 2k a day and said it will take 5 days to clear 2 acres...If that's the norm then I better sharpen my cutlass and pull out my brushcutter yes..

2k is the approx price for a backhoe per day down south

snsauto
Ricer

Postby snsauto » October 19th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Anyone care to share some tractor reviews of what is available locally? Especially those small kubota tractors. Worth it?
What's tractor prices like locally?

Riabridge
Street 2NR

Postby Riabridge » October 19th, 2018, 2:50 pm

we have a floodgate and d person in charge open it half way.my garden is about to flood out.who can i call for help

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » October 20th, 2018, 2:07 am

snsauto wrote:Anyone care to share some tractor reviews of what is available locally? Especially those small kubota tractors. Worth it?

I went into ft farfan and spoke to them about the Kubuto tractor . the price was steep over 100 g for a 23 or 25 hp unit and with the attachments is over 200k
i looking on Ebay and you can get relatively new units with all the attachments and trailer for much cheaper

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 20th, 2018, 7:04 am

A lot of people bringing in cheap tractors from China ,but I would take my chances with a used American built over anything from China. There are a lot for sale in the classifieds everyday. Burmac has nice ones and I was told that the price comes down significantly if you are a registered farmer and go through the ADB.

snsauto
Ricer

Postby snsauto » October 20th, 2018, 7:11 am

hong kong phooey wrote:
snsauto wrote:Anyone care to share some tractor reviews of what is available locally? Especially those small kubota tractors. Worth it?

I went into ft farfan and spoke to them about the Kubuto tractor . the price was steep over 100 g for a 23 or 25 hp unit and with the attachments is over 200k
i looking on Ebay and you can get relatively new units with all the attachments and trailer for much cheaper

Any idea on import procedure? Do you have to pay vat, import duties, registration fees?

snsauto
Ricer

Postby snsauto » October 20th, 2018, 7:13 am

rspann wrote:A lot of people bringing in cheap tractors from China ,but I would take my chances with a used American built over anything from China. There are a lot for sale in the classifieds everyday. Burmac has nice ones and I was told that the price comes down significantly if you are a registered farmer and go through the ADB.

Do you happen to have location or contact for burmac?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 20th, 2018, 7:22 am

They listed and they on Facebook. The showroom in Chaguanas is on Gaston st. A place called PARTS in Ramgoolie trace in Chin Chin has some cheap ones with attachments. He says he never got complaints 671 2406. The place with all the garbage trucks by Claxton Bay on the highway, also brings in. Look on top the building you'll see a sample.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm

better you buy a big brand thing with warranty and available parts that will last you forever than a chinese thing that will last 3 years and then you cant find parts

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 20th, 2018, 2:29 pm

hong kong phooey wrote:

Kubota is a Japanese manufacturer. They build tractors in the US not too far from John Deere and Caterpillar.

I have known people that owned all of those brands of the larger tractors and they didn't have any major complaints.
Last edited by adnj on October 20th, 2018, 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

snsauto
Ricer

Postby snsauto » October 20th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Thanks everyone.
And yeah, buying a proper brand probably is better because we would be using it for all three gardens for years to come.

Just hoping I can get something good for my budget (80k) . Can stretch to 100k depending on what I get. Anything more I'm gonna have to finance.

Currently we spent $8000 to cut and plough. So I definitely want us to get a tractor of our own for future crop prepping.

lipstick war
Street 2NR

Postby lipstick war » October 22nd, 2018, 2:27 pm

Since we're talking tractors does anyone ever imported a new holland tractor from the US with attachments? How much does a new holland with attachments costs locally?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 22nd, 2018, 3:29 pm

Snsauto, if that's the quantity of land u planting then it won't be hard to get the farmers subsidy

sk1111
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sk1111 » October 29th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Anyone have a link for celery seedlings?

Please email me

Sharifk@gmail.com

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » October 30th, 2018, 12:24 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:Snsauto, if that's the quantity of land u planting then it won't be hard to get the farmers subsidy

With the farmers subsidy you get back a good bit on tools, equipment, Vehicles, fencing and also security .

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » October 30th, 2018, 9:04 am

hong kong phooey wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:Snsauto, if that's the quantity of land u planting then it won't be hard to get the farmers subsidy

With the farmers subsidy you get back a good bit on tools, equipment, Vehicles, fencing and also security .

Not right now... Probably after 2020 hopefully...

Moobs
Street 2NR

Postby Moobs » October 31st, 2018, 5:45 am

Anyone know where to get some chikitoe fig plants...

tardissubie
3NE 2NR for life

Postby tardissubie » October 31st, 2018, 8:35 am

ADONI wrote:
hong kong phooey wrote:

Talking from experience or just hear say?

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » October 31st, 2018, 11:25 am

tardissubie wrote:
ADONI wrote:
hong kong phooey wrote:

Talking from experience or just hear say?

Experience... Also Agriculture received the least for 2019 budget...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”