TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Hydroponic enthusiasts (hobby/personal growers)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Hydroponic enthusiast (hobby/personal growers)

Postby rfari » September 12th, 2011, 10:45 am

ABA Trading LTD wrote:no time to organise mine yes, hoping to get something going by wednesday

safe. just lemme know when u ready. i have 2 other potential testers. i just have to develop a feedback form. will handle that during the course of the week.

bluesteel29 wrote:anyone ever tried growing potatoes in dro?

never tried but if u willing, let me know. i have a system design in mind

Rooki3 wrote:
imma do this over the course of next month, but i'm gonaa keep it indoors, i'll setup some kinda lighting system

privacy or space reasons? if privacy, hit me a pm. 0X

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » September 12th, 2011, 11:05 am

gonna try this soon with some tomatoes

Rahtid
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rahtid » September 12th, 2011, 11:18 am

AllTrac wrote:gonna try this soon with some hundred dollar bills

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 12th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Lol rfari be careful wid d stuff u posting publicly during our SoE na

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 12th, 2011, 1:53 pm

ABA Trading LTD wrote:Lol rfari be careful wid d stuff u posting publicly during our SoE na

True that eh. Sowwy Duane. Btw to all, I would be finished with the feedback forms so nutes should be rolling out by the end of this week/early next week. Also anyone with a large, commercial hydroponics implementation and interested in a custom monitoring and control system in realtime, drop me a pm.

Rooki3
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rooki3 » September 15th, 2011, 11:43 am

nah, jus privacy, i went to a dew agri shops lookin for some parts to make the system, one woman doh even kno wah hydroponics is; i swear i livin in lil haiti yes!!

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 15th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Yup. That's how it is. AFAIK, u can't request parts to build a hydroponics system because basically all the components are standard material available at a hardware or pet store. Just need some imagination and mcgyverism to get it done. There are many correct ways to build a system. If u have a design in mind, I can help you along. Email me at rfari at live dot com.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 17th, 2011, 10:09 am

i have most of the stuff eh....just not getting time :(

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 17th, 2011, 10:24 am

Laaaarrrrdddd! U ready for war hoss! Looking great man. The first pic, are those rockwool cubes? U got them local?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 17th, 2011, 10:35 am

nah i had to skybox them in, only got those cubes on wednesday actually, 250 cubes

Rooki3
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rooki3 » September 17th, 2011, 11:08 am

wayyyyyyyyyys, u en playing at all

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 17th, 2011, 11:24 am

Never used rockwool just pebbles and coconut husk. Right now I mark some white stones my moms using for some landscaping. A few buckets would come enn handy for my banana hydro system. Sunlight to roots causing some problems.

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 17th, 2011, 7:53 pm

was having issues with sunlight killing the roots of the plant. i used to have it covered with
black garbage bags but then the banana suckers started to grow so i decided to use gravel as a growing medium.

this is where the trouble started. i kicked the drain pipe in error and it cracked the tub. so i had to change that out. while doing the transplant the sump i used fell and the outlet broke. have to mcgyver something tonight or buy a new fitting for it.

here are the bananas after the transplant. 4" PVC used are a 'port' for sump and the air stone. next step will be to clad the tub in white vinyl or paint it to keep the solution temp down (idea from ABA).

the tree fell when down while i was working on the tub. leaves look a bit beaten up but should be good. couple days will tell if the transplant was successful :|

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Hydroponic enthusiasts (hobby/personal growers)

Postby Chimera » September 18th, 2011, 3:48 pm

this is all i got time to do today,
will run the pipes tomorrow hopefully once i remember to bring home a butane torch from the office

this will hold 100 plants

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 18th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Progress ABA. I liking it. What's the plan to cover the ground of the greenhouse?

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 18th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Progress ABA. I liking it. What's the plan to cover the ground of the greenhouse?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 18th, 2011, 6:41 pm

I have some big sheets of ply from crates that I brought down some dental chairs In

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 19th, 2011, 2:20 pm

actually i feel ill use bricks to cover the floor

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 19th, 2011, 3:43 pm

an idea. maybe you can line the entire flooring with old newspaper, spray a good pesticide then cover with floor vinyl or plastic sheets. u can use bricks for the footpath and as footings for the system. there is a guy on the forum (username jramserran i think) that may be able to give some input.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 19th, 2011, 4:16 pm

i was thinking about bricks because as you can see the greenhouse covering is shade netting and not plastic, (it's what I had, didnt want to go spend 1000+ for plastic to cover the greenhouse)
so water comes tru, right now the ground is soaked and not easy to walk on.

apparently theres some kinda of malt plastic that carib sells in the raw material department pretty cheap, i plannin 2 check it out this week and see if i can use that instead of giving tracmac soo much money for greenhouse plastic

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 19th, 2011, 4:38 pm

cool. never heard of malt plastic tho. Let us know how it goes.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 19th, 2011, 4:41 pm

from what someone told me, when carib imports malt for their brewery, the contents of the container come wrapped in plastic, which they sell pretty cheap. i had called last week but the person who deals with it was in a meeting, will see the scene tmr. will let u know

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 29th, 2011, 10:28 pm

rfari....hoping to get some stuff done this sunday..whats the best way to cut 4 and 2 inch pvc in half lengthways? ( 20 feet long)

I have...chopsaw...jigsaw...and a dremel with diamond cutting discs...i realll eh wanna use a hacksaw to do that kinda work

need to use the halves to lead from under the plants/netpots back to the nutrient container.

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 30th, 2011, 7:32 am

ABA Trading LTD wrote:rfari....hoping to get some stuff done this sunday..whats the best way to cut 4 and 2 inch pvc in half lengthways? ( 20 feet long)

I have...chopsaw...jigsaw...and a dremel with diamond cutting discs...i realll eh wanna use a hacksaw to do that kinda work

need to use the halves to lead from under the plants/netpots back to the nutrient container.

The jigsaw and the dremel would be more suitable. Take one side at a time, nice and slow and u'd be golden. And don't forget safety glasses. PVC splintered on me once before.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 30th, 2011, 9:55 am

dremel it is

i eh even use my growblocks yet, i was plannin 2 use it for the lettuce but it eh make sense wasting growblocks on lettuce when i cud jus use coco coir

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 30th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Sweet! don't forget to take pics. Never used the store bought coco coir and this will be the first local application of it that I know of.

bluesteel29
Shifting into 6th

Postby bluesteel29 » October 27th, 2011, 6:01 pm

where you guys buy electronic ph/ec meters locally?

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » October 27th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Good question. U can try tracmac but slim or none chance.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » November 16th, 2011, 7:26 pm

hey ppl, good thread,
i am in the process of starting a shade house, i am going small at first, 1/2 acre, the idea is to use galvanise pipe to erect the structure, and netting , mesh to cover it, i intend to make grow boxes using red blocks, and fill the grow boxes with the normal assortment of sharp sand, manure and what not, as the project goes along i might convert to a full hydroponics system, but for the moment i will use a soil type substrate as the growing medium.

i have not had much time to look around for the covering material for the structure, i intend to cover the roof and sides, as stated i was thinking about the "normal" green house netting, but thats only because i have not thought about any alternatives, can you guys throw out some ideas as to what material i can use, it needs to be durable, i want it to last at least 5 years, the plants i am considering require shade and hence the covering, and obviously it needs to allow sunlight to enter the enclosure,

and can anyone here direct me to suppliers of the netting and the approximate cost of it.

ABA that malt plastic sounds interesting, can you shoot me a pm with the price and contact number of the ppl, if you don't mind can you also tell me what's the price of the Green house plastic from tracmac and the green house netting? Did you import the netting or source it locally?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 16th, 2011, 7:55 pm

geodude wrote:hey ppl, good thread,
i am in the process of starting a shade house, i am going small at first, 1/2 acre, the idea is to use galvanise pipe to erect the structure, and netting , mesh to cover it, i intend to make grow boxes using red blocks, and fill the grow boxes with the normal assortment of sharp sand, manure and what not, as the project goes along i might convert to a full hydroponics system, but for the moment i will use a soil type substrate as the growing medium.

i have not had much time to look around for the covering material for the structure, i intend to cover the roof and sides, as stated i was thinking about the "normal" green house netting, but thats only because i have not thought about any alternatives, can you guys throw out some ideas as to what material i can use, it needs to be durable, i want it to last at least 5 years, the plants i am considering require shade and hence the covering, and obviously it needs to allow sunlight to enter the enclosure,

and can anyone here direct me to suppliers of the netting and the approximate cost of it.

ABA that malt plastic sounds interesting, can you shoot me a pm with the price and contact number of the ppl, if you don't mind can you also tell me what's the price of the Green house plastic from tracmac and the green house netting? Did you import the netting or source it locally?

I never got through with the person in carib about malt plastic, hydro project get put on the back burner, i more or less forget about it lol

The green house plastic, i think i posted the price somewhere in this thread , i think it was something like $1500 tt for a 40 x 25 sheet from tracmac

Shade netting was something like $3000 for 40 x 25 piece

the netting I used was from a older project years ago, brought that shade netting in a suitcase from canada a long time ago and had it sitting in the garage since

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”