Forums

chapter in the constitution of T&T

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Antiviru$
Street 2NR

chapter in the constitution of T&T

Postby Antiviru$ » April 5th, 2012, 8:23 am

ok im interested in acquiring the chapter of the constitution of Trinidad and Tobago that governs Time off to attend Place of Worship..... does anyone know of anybody who has applied for this time off from work........Im a muslim and want to apply for this right to attend mosque... any assistance will be gr8ly appreciated....... thanks alot.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: chapter in the constitution of T&T

Postby Dizzy28 » April 5th, 2012, 8:32 am

^ I'm pretty sure that the constitution would guarantee freedom of worship and not time off for worship. Maybe you need to visit the Industrial Relations Act.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » April 5th, 2012, 8:36 am

Why doesn't he just come to an agreement with his employer to work back the time that he takes off when he goes to mosque?

That's the agreement I came to with a couple of my subordinates who used to go to mosque on a Friday. They would leave at noon, come back around 2:00 p.m. and then work till 6:00 p.m. that day.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » April 5th, 2012, 8:37 am

Antiviru$ wrote:ok im interested in acquiring the chapter of the constitution of Trinidad and Tobago that governs Time off to attend Place of Worship..... does anyone know of anybody who has applied for this time off from work........Im a muslim and want to apply for this right to attend mosque... any assistance will be gr8ly appreciated....... thanks alot.

Surely you jest??? RIGHT to attend mosque?

Not sure if middle east.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » April 5th, 2012, 8:40 am

I believe it is allowed

a mutual agreement with your employer also does good

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » April 5th, 2012, 8:43 am

Dave a mutual agreement can work. But I can't see how this is a right nah. Was looking for some help the other day and the person was up front and said they need to leave early on a Tuesday to go to church, which was fine, but it sounds like the OP just realise he has to go to juma, after he get the wuk.

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 5th, 2012, 8:46 am

http://pdba.georgetown.edu/Constitution ... dad76.html

look 4 CHAPTER 1

THE RECOGNITION AND PROTECTION OF FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN

RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

PART I

RIGHTS ENSHRINED

RECOGNITION AND DECLARATION OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

4 - h

i think that is what you are looking for

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 5th, 2012, 9:08 am

The right to time off for worship?

Are you sure this is not a employer specific arrangement?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » April 5th, 2012, 9:13 am

Yea that would have to be an Employer/Employee Arrangement. And i'm sure the employer would not be obligated to give the time off.

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 5th, 2012, 10:45 am

CHAPTER 1

THE RECOGNITION AND PROTECTION OF FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN

RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

PART I

RIGHTS ENSHRINED

RECOGNITION AND DECLARATION OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

4.- It is hereby recognised and declared that in Trinidad and Tobago there have existed and shall continue to exist without discrimination by reason of race, origin, colour, religion or sex, the following fundamental human rights and freedoms, namely:-

a. the right of the individual to life, liberty, security of the person and enjoyment of property and the right not to be deprived thereof except by due process of law;

b. the right of the individual to equality before the law and the protection of the law;

c. the right of the individual to respect for his private and family life;

d. the right of the individual to equality of treatment from any public authority in the exercise of any functions;

e. the right to join political parties and to express political views;

f. the right of a parent or guardian to provide a school of his own choice for the education of his child or ward;

g. freedom of movement;

h. freedom of conscience and religious belief and observance;

i. freedom of thought and expression;

j. freedom of association and assembly; and

k. freedom of the press.

I think the observance part is what is needed here... and yes you need to come to an agreement with ur employer.

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 5th, 2012, 10:48 am

but the query in question begs.....

1. how long have you been working for said company?
2. do you acknowledge to the company that you actively participate in your religious observance?
3. have you ever done your religious observance during working hours?

Bizzare
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Bizzare » April 5th, 2012, 10:51 am

why should that be a right? You're not forced to work wherever you do.

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Postby nareshseep » April 5th, 2012, 10:59 am

ok make sense... I going and apply for time off to go to church every wednesday evening... everyone should follow suit...

Mudboy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Mudboy » April 5th, 2012, 11:03 am

If not a joke, can't see how any manager would give time off for Juma if said manager is not a Muslim.

But seriously......you really gonna ask your boss for time off for that?

Just remember, you also have a right to ask these questions before you accept a job offer, and you also have a right to leave and move to another company.

Pre
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Pre » April 5th, 2012, 11:26 am

Time off to attend place of worship? People really going off their rockers now. If you were working for me and wanted time off to go to your place of worship i will give you permanent time off reasons being
1. What if your place of worship is in Rio Claro and you are working in POS or similar senario.
2. What if you want to worship every day or multiple times for the day, who compensates me for loss of production.
3. Are other employees function dependent on your presence? What should i do with them and who shall pay them for the hours you are gone
4. What if you work in an environment that "working back" the hours is not possible.
5. Who performs your function when you are not there? What am I to do if a substantial part of my staff is of your religion and demands the same privileges what happens to the company?

6. This one is most important- Did you indicate these desires to your boss when you got this job or did you keep it from him because you thought it might affect your chances at the position (this would be dishonesty on your part) or did you suddenly have a religious epiphany all of a sudden and think its your right to change the terms of employment that you agreed to with your employer?

So with this being said as an employer I do not mind giving the occasional time off to employees for religious reasons but the fact that you are looking toward the constitution for help raises alot of red flags for me.
If you are in the public service well that is a different story because you are now entitled to do what you want when you want with no consequences. You could walk out of work when u want and come back and give your boss lip because he cant fire you and then turn around call the union and bring up a discrimination suit and make some money at the peoples expense.

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » April 5th, 2012, 11:31 am

Pre wrote:Time off to attend place of worship? People really going off their rockers now. If you were working for me and wanted time off to go to your place of worship i will give you permanent time off reasons being
1. What if your place of worship is in Rio Claro and you are working in POS or similar senario.
2. What if you want to worship every day or multiple times for the day, who compensates me for loss of production.
3. Are other employees function dependent on your presence? What should i do with them and who shall pay them for the hours you are gone
4. What if you work in an environment that "working back" the hours is not possible.
5. Who performs your function when you are not there? What am I to do if a substantial part of my staff is of your religion and demands the same privileges what happens to the company?

6. This one is most important- Did you indicate these desires to your boss when you got this job or did you keep it from him because you thought it might affect your chances at the position (this would be dishonesty on your part) or did you suddenly have a religious epiphany all of a sudden and think its your right to change the terms of employment that you agreed to with your employer?

So with this being said as an employer I do not mind giving the occasional time off to employees for religious reasons but the fact that you are looking toward the constitution for help raises alot of red flags for me.
If you are in the public service well that is a different story because you are now entitled to do what you want when you want with no consequences. You could walk out of work when u want and come back and give your boss lip because he cant fire you and then turn around call the union and bring up a discrimination suit and make some money at the peoples expense.

FIXED!

but Pre p.s. not like that again boi.. people getting sent to st anns... like you aint seeing what going on orrrwhaaa
Last edited by JoeBama on April 5th, 2012, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » April 5th, 2012, 11:33 am

as an atheist, I demand time off to not worship
I am a dedicated non-worshiper and non-worship all through the day
I should get a dedicated 8 - 4 time slot daily for non-worship at my prescribed place of non-worship, which, according to my beliefs, can be any place where alcohol is consumed

Mudboy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Mudboy » April 5th, 2012, 11:36 am

Be prepared to look for another work......and pray that Pre is not your boss...

Antiviru$
Street 2NR

Postby Antiviru$ » April 7th, 2012, 10:51 am

JoeBama thanks. really ROFL at all these comments.......

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » November 19th, 2012, 8:03 pm

It's kinda kool that employers give time off for carnival n stuff

I usually get time off to go woodbrook an pick up my costume

The first year i worked i left work at 10am on carnival friday....told my boss i had to go buy drinks n pack a cooler (pier1 cooler fete was that night) she was like awww drink one for me :)

Seeing i have a muslim name i use it to my advantage...i tell dem i goin to mosque on fridays...leave work at 11:45 head to westmall or knock down some beers on de avenue then come back at 2pm lol

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 20th, 2012, 7:09 am

the employer is not obligated to give u time off for that. but they can't restrict you from observing your religious beliefs, on your own time at your own place. they can't victimize you for your religious pracitse.

them fellas blow it out of proportion. is for u to understand how your work flow is, that you can delay some work to accommodate it it in your schedule. you then have to come to some arrangement with your employer or supervisor. the most fair thing is that if u take an hour and a half to do what u need to do, that u make it up by coming in early or leaving late.

me, personally, leaving late or reaching early is a plus because u would spend less time in rush hour traffic, so u effectively waste less time.

practise of religion at the workplace would be the sole discretion of the employer/supervisor because that is their place. if allowed, try to keep it as private and separate, as inconspicuous as possible. out of sight is out of mind.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 20th, 2012, 7:17 am

Antiviru$ wrote:ok im interested in acquiring the chapter of the constitution of Trinidad and Tobago that governs Time off to attend Place of Worship..... does anyone know of anybody who has applied for this time off from work........Im a muslim and want to apply for this right to attend mosque... any assistance will be gr8ly appreciated....... thanks alot.

Dude Trinidad is not a Muslim state and MUST never be. If you want go to Saudi or Pakistan where you will get all the time off to pray. Do you think Saudi or Pakistan will allow Christian worship?

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » November 20th, 2012, 7:30 am

zoom rader wrote:

Dude Trinidad is not a Muslim state and MUST never be. If you want go to Saudi or Pakistan where you will get all the time off to pray. Do you think Saudi or Pakistan will allow Christian worship?

Crab in barrel

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » November 20th, 2012, 7:02 pm

FS: free one way flights to afghanistan

JoeBama
Riding on 17's

Postby JoeBama » November 21st, 2012, 10:04 am

whey boii..i does make sense sometimes :)

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » November 22nd, 2012, 3:01 pm

Pre wrote:This one is most important- Did you indicate these desires to your boss when you got this job or did you keep it from him because you thought it might affect your chances at the position (this would be dishonesty on your part) or did you suddenly have a religious epiphany all of a sudden and think its your right to change the terms of employment that you agreed to with your employer?
S.

Well said ... all these matters should be discussed before hand ... the employee is at fault here.
But is there anything in the constitution where employees such be entitled to a lunch break ? If so he can do like everyone else and go to mosque at lunchtime ...

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 22nd, 2012, 3:09 pm

yes you can have time off, all the time you want.

doh bother to come back.

if you looking for the chapter in the constitution, i assume you asked the boss and he said no? and now you want to demand it?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » November 22nd, 2012, 3:11 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:
Pre wrote:This one is most important- Did you indicate these desires to your boss when you got this job or did you keep it from him because you thought it might affect your chances at the position (this would be dishonesty on your part) or did you suddenly have a religious epiphany all of a sudden and think its your right to change the terms of employment that you agreed to with your employer?
S.

Well said ... all these matters should be discussed before hand ... the employee is at fault here.
But is there anything in the constitution where employees such be entitled to a lunch break ? If so he can do like everyone else and go to mosque at lunchtime ...

Good Grief. You all think the constitution deals with issues such as lunch breaks? For that you need to go to the relevant Labour Laws via Acts passed in Parliament.

Heres the list
Equal Opportunity Act 2000

Equal Opportunity (Amendment) Act, 2001

Industrial Relations Act

The Maternity Protection Act, 1998

Minimum Wages Act

Occupational Safety and Health Act 2004

Occupational Safety and Health (Amendment) Act, 2006

Retrenchment and Severance Benefits Act

Trade Unions Act

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » November 22nd, 2012, 3:16 pm

Well seeing you quoted the Acts, you should tell us what they wrt to time off for religious purposes?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » November 22nd, 2012, 3:22 pm

Just like some Religions I merely pointing you in the right direction. Its now up to you to seek further enlightenment.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”