Forums

WTF - Snake!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

VII
punchin NOS

Re: WTF - Snake!

Postby VII » June 19th, 2019, 10:25 pm

False coral after we put him back where we found him living in under-growth by short coconut tree..Have pics with him in hand like above but having trouble locating them..top if his head is red..

Last edited by VII on June 19th, 2019, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 19th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Snail eating snake sitting on chair right opposite me just chilling,I walked around to take pic I went back chilled for about an hour and he stayed there...you kinda got leave certain things rustic if you wanna have encounters...so I only bleach and disinfect where dogs usually are by garage etc..this is on a level down by an outside store room ..bounding a mountain or open land helps..oh there are rat snakes like rats by the garbage bin area outside at night too..will post more as I find them..

Last edited by VII on June 20th, 2019, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 19th, 2019, 10:46 pm

That is thing to make me put up a "for sale" sign.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 19th, 2019, 11:09 pm

rspann wrote:That is thing to make me put up a "for sale" sign.

Nah man,no vipers around so it's all good..saw three mapipere in an old gravel pit I went to one afternoon on some business,there was a care-taker family with kids living in a lil house surrounded by bush,spoke to the father about the possible dangers and he said "dee does be all inside de house,we does just chase dem out wit ah broom" !! That's why grande hospital has a huge supply of anti-venom...

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » June 20th, 2019, 12:20 am

VII that’s excellent, the passion you and your kid show.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 20th, 2019, 1:27 am

matix wrote:VII that’s excellent, the passion you and your kid show.

He is a bush man .

I like bush tea .

I love the smell of young bush .

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 2:24 pm

We're about peaceful coexistence and environment bro,with humans too.. 8)

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 2:26 pm

RedVEVO wrote:

He is a bush man .

I like bush tea .

I love the smell of young bush .

Lol that bush is 10 min from pos,more or less depending on traffic and how fast you wanna go on the foreshore and is also the range of some of the most beautiful local women that are not Vene..hahaha! :)

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 2:38 pm

One Sunday morning hug up tight and all of a sudden the AC unit right outside the bedroom sound like a fan belt buss with a flapping noise like a belt spinning on a pulley,well we just turn it off and tried to salvage the remaining cool. So when I eventually went outside to check the ac to do an assessment ,opened up the housing panel and low and behold a freshly slaughtered machete and many other carcasses and dried skeletons,it only blew the capacitor, borrowed one from my kid's unit as they were at my mom's..did my own service washing down unit etc changed capacitor and it worked like new..couldn't help the snake though..they just can't resist the heat..have blocked up holes to prevent this from happening,dunno if it would keep out the smaller ones though,but at least they won't cause the capacitor to blow..

Those are 12 x 12 clay tiles so he was over 3 feet..

Hyperion
Riding on 17's

Postby Hyperion » June 20th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Is the small one a mapapire? Especially seeing that this is Maraval/Paramin..........

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 20th, 2019, 3:00 pm

VII wrote:have had some really nice looking fake corals in yard also,very friendly snakes..

Now I know you are not all there. I never met such.

True story: Was doing some re-paving in the yard earlier this year. About 7:15 p.m. one evening, we were waiting for some cement to dry on the ground. There was not much light and suddenly one of the workers saw a movement and ran. I was barefooted. Turned out to be a mapipire z'anana (bushmaster) - one of the 4 poisonous snakes in T&T. Scrambled for a cutlass. Chopped off the head and waited for 30 MINUTES for the body to stop wriggling. My blood crawls up to today. Was I supposed to be friendly with it?

http://www.looptt.com/content/tts-mapep ... geographic

T&T's mapepire featured on National Geographic

LOOP NEWS CREATED : 9 NOVEMBER 2017 LIFESTYLE

One of Trinidad and Tobago's most notorious venomous snakes, known as the 'mapepire zanana', was featured on National Geographic's social media channel earlier this week.

The nature channel shared a video to social media on Wednesday showing the beautiful yet deadly 'bushmaster', as the snake is also known, is so venomous that, if bitten, a human has an approximate survival chance of 25 percent.

See the video below: Go To Link For Video

Bushmasters hunt at night and have heat-sensing pits on each side of their head midway between the nostril and eye, which helps them to locate warm-blooded prey.

National Geographic says the bushmaster has a bite so venomous that humans only have a 25% chance of surviving one.

The Asa Wright Nature Centre advises however that of all the bites by venomous snakes, particularly pit vipers, 25-50 percent do not inject any venom, and the mortality rate is internationally less than one percent for venomous snake bites that are promptly treated, and is quite low in Trinidad and Tobago.

The Centre acknowledges however that venomous snakebites that are not treated by a physician with the proper antivenom may have a much higher mortality rate. It is best to get medical help and avoid local folk remedies.

According to a report by the University of the West Indies, the mapepire zanana/bushmaster or Lachesis muta is a pit viper and is one of four main species of venomous snakes to be found in the wild.

The other three venomous species are the large coral snake (Micrurus lemniscaus diutius), common coral snake (Micrurus circinalis), and Mapepire balsain (also known as 'Fer-de-lance', Latin name Bothrops asper).

The bushmaster is the longest of all viperids. Adults are usually well over 250 cm and weigh three to five kilogrammmes, with some of the longest measuring approximately 350 cm.

The snake can be found in primary forests, often living near large buttressed trees or adjacent to fallen trees and occasionally found in secondary forested areas recently cleared or adjacent to virgin forest. The snake is most commonly found on high, well-drained ground with deep ravines.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 3:26 pm

bluefete wrote:
VII wrote:have had some really nice looking fake corals in yard also,very friendly snakes..

True story: Was doing some re-paving in the yard earlier this year. About 7:15 p.m. one evening, we were waiting for some cement to dry on the ground. There was not much light and suddenly one of the workers saw a movement and ran. I was barefooted. Turned out to be a mapipire z'anana (bushmaster) - one of the 4 poisonous snakes in T&T. Scrambled for a cutlass. Chopped off the head and waited for 30 MINUTES for the body to stop wriggling. My blood crawls up to today. Was I supposed to be friendly with it?

http://www.looptt.com/content/tts-mapep ... geographic

T&T's mapepire featured on National Geographic

LOOP NEWS CREATED : 9 NOVEMBER 2017 LIFESTYLE

One of Trinidad and Tobago's most notorious venomous snakes, known as the 'mapepire zanana', was featured on National Geographic's social media channel earlier this week.

The nature channel shared a video to social media on Wednesday showing the beautiful yet deadly 'bushmaster', as the snake is also known, is so venomous that, if bitten, a human has an approximate survival chance of 25 percent.

See the video below: Go To Link For Video

Bushmasters hunt at night and have heat-sensing pits on each side of their head midway between the nostril and eye, which helps them to locate warm-blooded prey.

National Geographic says the bushmaster has a bite so venomous that humans only have a 25% chance of surviving one.

The Asa Wright Nature Centre advises however that of all the bites by venomous snakes, particularly pit vipers, 25-50 percent do not inject any venom, and the mortality rate is internationally less than one percent for venomous snake bites that are promptly treated, and is quite low in Trinidad and Tobago.

The Centre acknowledges however that venomous snakebites that are not treated by a physician with the proper antivenom may have a much higher mortality rate. It is best to get medical help and avoid local folk remedies.

According to a report by the University of the West Indies, the mapepire zanana/bushmaster or Lachesis muta is a pit viper and is one of four main species of venomous snakes to be found in the wild.

The other three venomous species are the large coral snake (Micrurus lemniscaus diutius), common coral snake (Micrurus circinalis), and Mapepire balsain (also known as 'Fer-de-lance', Latin name Bothrops asper).

The bushmaster is the longest of all viperids. Adults are usually well over 250 cm and weigh three to five kilogrammmes, with some of the longest measuring approximately 350 cm.

The snake can be found in primary forests, often living near large buttressed trees or adjacent to fallen trees and occasionally found in secondary forested areas recently cleared or adjacent to virgin forest. The snake is most commonly found on high, well-drained ground with deep ravines.

We don't handle those and they not in our range,apart from the obvious vipers,the only snakes that strike to bite in our experiences are macajuels and rainbow boas..the others just bluff and some don't even strike,they just wrap around your hands and aim outwards..The small coral was striking kinda ineffectively as they so small, but we don't touch those,we just manipulate them with different things to move and relocate them..we approach all animals with caution,what I have learned is approach is everything,and I didn't learn this on Nat-Geo..

We expect certain snakes to strike and we know most will,but some are very friendly..including the one my son's holding there,it didn't strike..

In my experience I have found more snakes that have been friendly than people that observe basic perspective and rules of engagement lol,most snakes just wanna point and go away from you and you can manipulate that and keep holding them..What you met or haven't met has no bearing on our experiences and how we go about facilitating and coexisting with animals in our immediate vicinity..Like I said before in another thread you get what you put in,snakes don't have to run from us..now you quoting mapiperes, my smallest kid knows it's one of the most aggressive snakes in the world bro .
Last edited by VII on June 23rd, 2019, 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Hyperion wrote:Is the small one a mapapire? Especially seeing that this is Maraval/Paramin..........

Nah it was another snail eating snake..I know my pic was blury, but to the untrained eye even this one is a mapipere...

*oh and it's in the West..

Last edited by VII on June 20th, 2019, 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 20th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Do they get this big here or is this a distant central american cousin?

Embed please someone.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YGsR0ZnZHJY

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Redress10 wrote:Do they get this big here or is this a distant central american cousin?

Embed please someone.

The largest viper and second largest venomous snake in the world after the king cobra is the 'Bushmaster' /Mapipere Zanana.and yes we have them here,my brother killed many on a new piece of land he bought in a trace in Manzan/Rioclaro area..forget the name of the area..but he mentioned the pronounce orange scales and aggressiveness and just called them mapiperes.. but he did't know he was dealing with one of the deadliest and notorious snakes in the world..

We also have the longest/heaviest species of snake in the world the anaconda, pythons may be a bit longer generally but half the mass and girth...but there have been reports of anacondas as long as or longer than the longest recorded pythons....so while the average big python may be longer there are anacondas longer..
Last edited by VII on June 20th, 2019, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 20th, 2019, 5:30 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Talk to meh

VII

??

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 6:15 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:

VII

??

Wah go.. 8)

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 20th, 2019, 6:42 pm

VII wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Is the small one a mapapire? Especially seeing that this is Maraval/Paramin..........

Nah it was another snail eating snake..I know my pic was blury, but to the untrained eye even this one is a mapipere...

Glencoe have big snakes because of the forests and ravines. Right next door in Goodwood park have one of the biggest snakes. It only dangerous to UNC people though. Manning warned us about it.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Redress10 wrote:Do they get this big here or is this a distant central american cousin?

Embed please someone.

And that's not even a bushmaster in the pic Bluefete loop T&T post..that's Lancehead/mapipere Balsain/Bothrops-Athrox...

Bushmasters/mapipere zanana/ Lachesis muta are black and orange/brown/salmon/yellow..
Last edited by VII on June 20th, 2019, 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 6:52 pm

rspann wrote:
VII wrote:

Glencoe have big snakes because of the forests and ravines. Right next door in Goodwood park have one of the biggest snakes. It only dangerous to UNC people though. Manning warned us about it.

hahahaha ! I doh fraid snake..dey easy to charm and silence,very familiar with there,plenty other big snakes there too,of all species and colours and some very deadly .

You may have dealt with one or two...

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 20th, 2019, 6:58 pm

VII wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:

VII

??

Wah go.. 8)

Wah type i looking at there...previous page

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » June 20th, 2019, 7:04 pm

VII wrote:

Embed please someone.

The largest viper and second largest venomous snake in the world after the king cobra is the 'Bushmaster' /Mapipere Zanana.and yes we have them here,my brother killed many on a new piece of land he bought in a trace in Manzan/Rioclaro area..forget the name of the area..but he mentioned the pronounce orange scales and aggressiveness and just called them mapiperes.. but he did't know he was dealing with one of the deadliest and notorious snakes in the world..

We also have the longest/heaviest species of snake in the world the anaconda, pythons may be a bit longer generally but half the mass and girth...but there have been reports of anacondas as long as or longer than the longest recorded pythons....so while the average big python may be longer there are anacondas longer..

not according to some local "experts"
I remember as a younger fella about 20+ years ago, had some animals just go missing. We thought either ppl teef dem or they buss rope and walk away.
one fine morning about 2 o'clock moms wake me up, and I hearing WWIII in the pens and having to go investigate only to find one bigb ass 28+" fella crushing a saanen ram.
and lemme tell you from now, chopping that is failure. hadda stab it, with a sharp blade with good point behind the head to sever the spine or in the brain. don't ask me how I kno.

btw, a properly seasoned slow roasted anaconda does eat real nice. plenty bone but if it big d bone is not a problem once you remember to take yuh time and eat from the side.
again don't ask me how I kno.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Looks like a juvenile boa/macajuel..how big was it ?

Patterns on dorsal area looking a lil cat-eyed snake though ..head looking like a boa.. it has a kinda python-ish pattern all the way over the head ,kinda throwing me off a lil bit yes..something about that dorsal pattern a lil off from our macajuel..and it can't be a cat-eyed because of the head patterns and shape size etc..If it's local it's most likely a local boa with some blotches rather than the more distinct symmetrical patterning or a rat-snake at too close of a distance for size perspective,many small snakes look huge and a bit ambiguous in very close shots,size perspective helps with identifying species too because they could have similar shaped heads and patterns but one grows to 20 inches and the other 10 feet, a small coral looks like a fat cobra close-up pics..they're related,as with other species..

If not local and on the bigger snake side,it could be a slightly different boa or even a python..
Last edited by VII on June 20th, 2019, 8:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 7:10 pm

88sins wrote:
VII wrote:

Embed please someone.

not according to some local "experts"
I remember as a younger fella about 20+ years ago, had some animals just go missing. We thought either ppl teef dem or they buss rope and walk away.
one fine morning about 2 o'clock moms wake me up, and I hearing WWIII in the pens and having to go investigate only to find one bigb ass 28+" fella crushing a saanen ram.
and lemme tell you from now, chopping that is failure. hadda stab it, with a sharp blade with good point behind the head to sever the spine or in the brain. don't ask me how I kno.

btw, a properly seasoned slow roasted anaconda does eat real nice. plenty bone but if it big d bone is not a problem once you remember to take yuh time and eat from the side.
again don't ask me how I kno.

lol Trinis have no clue what we have here ..long time people killing them and bringing them out the swamp and calling them big macajuel...

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 20th, 2019, 7:15 pm

"Glencoe have big snakes because of the forests and ravines. Right next door in Goodwood park have one of the biggest snakes. It only dangerous to UNC people though. Manning warned us about it.[/quote]

hahahaha ! I doh fraid snake..dey easy to charm and silence,very familiar with there,plenty other big snakes there too,of all species and colours and some very deadly .

You may have dealt with one or two...[/quote]

I gone yes! :D :D :D :D

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » June 20th, 2019, 7:19 pm

I gone yes! :D :D :D :D

yuh Mac and cheese...later.. :lol: :lol:

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 20th, 2019, 7:41 pm

That is one snake I not playing around yes.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 21st, 2019, 5:39 am

VII wrote:

Looks like a juvenile boa/macajuel..how big was it ?

Patterns on dorsal area looking a lil cat-eyed snake though ..head looking like a boa.. it has a kinda python-ish pattern all the way over the head ,kinda throwing me off a lil bit yes..something about that dorsal pattern a lil off from our macajuel..and it can't be a cat-eyed because of the head patterns and shape size etc..If it's local it's most likely a local boa with some blotches rather than the more distinct symmetrical patterning or a rat-snake at too close of a distance for size perspective,many small snakes look huge and a bit ambiguous in very close shots,size perspective helps with identifying species too because they could have similar shaped heads and patterns but one grows to 20 inches and the other 10 feet, a small coral looks like a fat cobra close-up pics..they're related,as with other species..

If not local and on the bigger snake side,it could be a slightly different boa or even a python..

it was about 3ft long and yes to being local(Biche) all kinda mc thing from this forest

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » June 21st, 2019, 5:44 am

That's a cat eyed night snake. The color & patterns are a dead give away, particularly the brown markings at the back of the head & the dorsal markings

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 21st, 2019, 7:36 am

VII wrote:now you quoting mapiperes out of context,which even my smallest kid knows it's one of the most aggressive snakes in the world..

Well, I did not know it was a mapipire. It was the workers who recognized it. It was brownish / orangeish in colour. I also did not know the mapipire is so poisonous.

But the info you gave is very important for future encounters.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”