Best MBA in Trinidad? Need help choosing

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Azzuri
Street 2NR

Best MBA in Trinidad? Need help choosing

Postby Azzuri » June 5th, 2013, 9:25 am

Hi 2nrs,

Recently I've decided to further my post grad studies with an MBA. My background (if it helps) is that I'm 31, BSc & MSc in Chemical Engineering from UWI. I'm looking to expand my knowledge as I move up the corporate ladder in my workplace. I have also considered doing a Phd, but at this point in my life, I don't have the passion in Chem Eng to do a full Phd.

Anyhow, I've looked at almost all the local MBA programs, which are:
• Australian Institute of Business 12 Month MBA - Sital
• Heriot Watt MBA - SBCS
• UWI/Arthur Lok Jack IOB - 3 MBAs, International, Sustainable Energy and Executive
• Anglia Ruskin MBA - SAMs

All seem somewhat good in terms of the course content. But being a UWI grad I'm leaning toward Lok Jack. I have a meeting next week with Lok Jack to discuss the differences in the 3 MBA programs they offer, but I'd like some outsider knowledge on at the pros and cons of each.

Honestly, they're just two major things I'm considering when choosing this MBA
1. Quality of Lecturers - I like to learn by listening in class and not cramming at home.
2. Relevance of the work learned meaning content should not be outdated or too theoretical

Other than that, I don't care about the difficulty, most recognized, accreditations, amount of work etc.

Links for each program below:
http://www.aib.edu.au/about-sital.html
http://www.sbcs.edu.tt/programme/view/80
http://www.lokjackgsb.edu.tt/graduate_programme.php?id=40
http://www.samtt.com/samtt.com/anglia_MBA.html

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Best MBA in Trinidad? Need help choosing

Postby bluefete » June 5th, 2013, 10:27 am

SBCS - Excellent lecturers . Very good syllabus. One exam only for each subject. No dissertation. No coursework. Somehow - materials always turns out to be industry relevant even though theoretical with practical applications. Can self study.

SAM - Good lecturers. Very good syllabus. Exams and coursework for each subject plus dissertation at end. Need to go to classes. AR MBA is like doing a BSc.

Sital - Lecturers Good . More self study. Take home assignment plus open book exams plus project.

Lok Jack - Excellent lecturers. Very good syllabus. Mucho group work and presentations - industry relevant- and exams.
Last edited by bluefete on June 5th, 2013, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » June 5th, 2013, 10:41 am

I'm currently doing the MBA in Sustainable Energy Management @ ALJ and so far I've been generally very impressed. The work is very different from Chemical Engineering and focuses a lot on the practical aspects as well as trying to create leadership qualities in individuals as opposed to just passing exams like the BSc level. The MBA is expensive though so you may want to consider the cost as a factor too. I think it's the most expensive MBA @ ALJ. I cannot say it is technically challenging though coming from your background.

The name of the MBA itself is a bit misleading as it doesn't only focus on sustainable/renewable energies but more so focuses on sustainable development whether it be via different applications of current resources (including fossil fuels, human resources, economic resources) or promoting the uptake of renewable energies. It involves politics, policy creation, economics, risk management, environmental impact assessments, foreign languages, renewable energy technologies, strategy, decision making and presentations all within the first year.

I would say that within the first year six out of seven lecturers have been excellent. I can't compare the MBA in SEM appropriately to the International and Executive MBAs @ ALJ due to not having pursued either of them. I will say though that the MBA in SEM is different and has a smaller number of persons/cohorts than the other two so it is a way to differentiate oneself. For example the number of intakes for the MBA in SEM is now at 3 vs +20 (possibly higher) for the others as they have been around longer.

Hope this helps.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 5th, 2013, 11:00 am

Lok Jak....ftw....considering the IMBA...heard excellent reviews from friends about their tuition.

Azzuri
Street 2NR

Postby Azzuri » June 5th, 2013, 11:02 am

Thanks bluefete, Allergic2BunnyEars and shake d livin wake d dead.

Most of people I've talked to as well as HR in my company has indicated that Lok Jack & SBCS are the best.

IMBA looks very good, how about the EMBA? any feedback on that class/program?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 5th, 2013, 11:06 am

what attracted me to the IMBA is the study tours to China and Guyana just to name a few,in addition to working hand in hand with University of Miami.You just need more than 2years work experience before you begin as well as other customary requirements.

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » June 5th, 2013, 11:09 am

[quote="bluefete"]SBCS - Excellent lecturers . Very good syllabus. One exam only for each subject. No dissertation. No coursework. Somehow - materials always turns out to be industry relevant even though theoretical with practical applications. Can self study.

SAM - Good lecturers. Very good syllabus. Exams and coursework for each subject plus dissertation at end. Need to go to classes. AR MBA is like doing a BSc.

Sital - Lecturers Good . More self study. Take home assignment plus open book exams plus project.

Lok Jack - Excellent lecturers. Very good syllabus. Mucho group work and presentations - industry relevant- and exams.[/quote]
u forgot they can be the most expensive...

Azzuri
Street 2NR

Postby Azzuri » June 5th, 2013, 11:17 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:what attracted me to the IMBA is the study tours to China and Guyana just to name a few,in addition to working hand in hand with University of Miami.You just need more than 2years work experience before you begin as well as other customary requirements.

working for almost 10 years plus already got a BSc and MSc.

1UZFE,

I hear you, but price isn't really an issue, my company funds up to 50k of it so all are affordable.

Does anyone have any reviews/opinions on the Executive MBA offered by Lok Jack?

urabus
Sweet on this forum

Postby urabus » June 5th, 2013, 11:19 am

I'm on the last stretch of the Heriot MBA at SBCS. My experience at SBCS having graduated from UWI with a deg in Comp Sci,
- the lecturer are very helpful and knowledgeable and most of the times accessible
- the admin is definitely not complicated as with UWI
- no course work, no assignments, no group work (praise the Lord)
- the material is very easy to cover as the final exam worth 100 % is based purely on the text provided
- there is no thesis to present at the end of the program

It is not a very challenging, brain-taxing, time-demanding or expensive program. On average, with GATE, 1 module costs under 5000. The program in my opinion is very flexible and is a breeze. If you are seeking a challenge, this may not be the best option.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 5th, 2013, 11:20 am

Azzuri wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:what attracted me to the IMBA is the study tours to China and Guyana just to name a few,in addition to working hand in hand with University of Miami.You just need more than 2years work experience before you begin as well as other customary requirements.

1UZFE,

I hear you, but price isn't really an issue, my company funds up to 50k of it so all are affordable.

Excellent if you are considering going into executive management. You will be with people who are either already there or soon to be. Great way to learn what it would be like.

Note ; The excellent syllabus at SAM's is for Henley NOT Anglia Ruskin.

Azzuri
Street 2NR

Postby Azzuri » June 5th, 2013, 11:25 am

bluefete wrote:
Azzuri wrote:

1UZFE,

Excellent if you are considering going into executive management. You will be with people who are either already there or soon to be. Great way to learn what it would be like.

Note ; The excellent syllabus at SAM's is for Henley NOT Anglia Ruskin.

Yup that's what I'm expecting. Just need some pros and cons of it compared to the IMBA.

Spoke to a guy Rameshwar in Lok Jack about it, but he was a bit vague. All he indicated was the EMBA is a little more work (30 vs 24 months), more presentation style work, slightly geared toward upper management level of work and thinking.

So it does seem better to me.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 5th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Opee,studying these days is not about what you like but what/where has the $$$.You have enough experience to know this.I am contemplating leaving Trinidad hence the desire to pursue the IMBA.I study to be flexible in the work environment.Go brave and choose wisely.

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » June 5th, 2013, 1:49 pm

MBA's mean nothing

Azzuri
Street 2NR

Postby Azzuri » June 5th, 2013, 2:41 pm

I'm fully aware that MBA's mean nothing. I'm only trying to gain more business experience per say since I'm not afforded the opportunity to gain such experience on my day job.

That's why I'm picking a program I can actually learn from. Either by having experienced lecturers and interesting varied classmates.

I do not want a class where lecturers teach straight out of a book, with little class interaction.

MadCrix
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby MadCrix » June 5th, 2013, 2:54 pm

heriot is a breeze??? I must be stupid den

neilsingh100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby neilsingh100 » June 5th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Once you have a first degree and good a what you do no need for an MBA.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 5th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Azzuri wrote:I'm fully aware that MBA's mean nothing. I'm only trying to gain more business experience per say since I'm not afforded the opportunity to gain such experience on my day job.

That's why I'm picking a program I can actually learn from. Either by having experienced lecturers and interesting varied classmates.

I do not want a class where lecturers teach straight out of a book, with little class interaction.

Lok jak total opposite

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » June 5th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Interesting thread, I've been contemplating doing an MBA also but would prefer a mix of coursework (projects) and exams. Was looking at Sital

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 5th, 2013, 3:52 pm

how many of them lecturers actually run a business successfully with full responsibility and not as regular employee
to say they can lecture in Master of Business Administration ?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » June 5th, 2013, 3:57 pm

pugboy wrote:how many of them lecturers actually run a business successfully with full responsibility and not as regular employee
to say they can lecture in Master of Business Administration ?

Is it really necessary for all lecturers to be like this? An MBA has several different areas lectured by several different individuals. I don't think I need to have a lecturer running a business to learn about a topic like environmental impact assessments for example.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 5th, 2013, 4:09 pm

that is the typical response, the degree is misnamed then

from the many people I have met who do these degrees, they usually use them as a tool to move up the job ladder, not saying it is worthless but that is the long and short

it is a good way to distinguish yourself if you work in the bureaucratic bowels of a big company

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » June 5th, 2013, 4:14 pm

The degree is misnamed based on what then? You haven't actually explained your real issue thus far nor answered if you really think all the lecturers need to be running their own business.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 5th, 2013, 5:39 pm

I think it is best we agree to disagree or not carry this any further
since we would always counter and reach point/pointless state
cheers

urabus
Sweet on this forum

Postby urabus » June 5th, 2013, 6:03 pm

MadCrix wrote:heriot is a breeze??? I must be stupid den

Yip it is a breeze, i dont know bout the 'I must be stupid' part..... :roll:

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » June 5th, 2013, 6:49 pm

For decades people saying an MBA is useless, down to my college professors... yet people still do them.

If you think that having an MBA has no use in the business world... then you might be stuck in middle management forever. It also doesn't matter too much if the lecturers are not active business leaders or the like... people need to learn the theory, something which most won't learn 'on the job' in many local companies.

MadCrix
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby MadCrix » June 5th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Ok not stupid but i eh super bright then lol

eViLwOn
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby eViLwOn » June 5th, 2013, 10:09 pm

bluefete wrote:SBCS - Excellent lecturers . Very good syllabus. One exam only for each subject. No dissertation. No coursework. Somehow - materials always turns out to be industry relevant even though theoretical with practical applications. Can self study.

Lok Jack - Excellent lecturers. Very good syllabus. Mucho group work and presentations - industry relevant- and exams.

Thanxs for the information bluefete.
Really helpful indeed!

Azzuri
Street 2NR

Postby Azzuri » June 6th, 2013, 6:41 am

Thanks again guys, seems like lok jack is the best choice.

Any feedback on their executive mba?

mitscar
Riding on 13's

Postby mitscar » June 6th, 2013, 7:05 am

The EMBA targets the more mature student who has more experience. It was hoped that with this type if student the experiences shared in class through discussions would further enrich the experience. This is a general MBA however, if you are looking for a specialized MBA you can look at the IMBA of some of the many other specialized ones.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » June 6th, 2013, 7:14 am

Depending on what field you're in MSc Project Management

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”