TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Chromecast Is Google's $35 answer to AppleTV.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Chromecast Is Google's $35 answer to AppleTV.

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 24th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Yes there is a Google thread here but I think this deserves its own thread

http://gizmodo.com/chromecast-is-google ... socialflow

Chromecast Is Google's $35 Answer to Getting Web Video on Your TV

Meet Chromecast. This is Google's vision for how Chrome can help unite your experience across all of the many screens we've got. And you better believe it's all about video. Who knew a little $35 dongle could change the way you watch forever?

What we've got here is a set-top-box-like product—that plugs into your TV a bit like the Roku Streaming Stick with a capability similar to AirPlay Streaming. This is the clear successor to last year's Nexus Q, and it's different in almost every way: it's unobtrusive cheap, and actually useful.

Chromecast, according to Google, will have close to zero setup time. Just pop the little flash-drive shaped device into your TV's HDMI port, connect it to your home Wi-Fi, and then you're ready to wirelessly transfer what you're watching on your computer, phone, or tablet on your TV.

It's not limited to Android and Chrome OS and Android devices either—The reasoning for using Chrome is that it runs on all operating systems. It's super simple, if the application you're using on your phone or other device supports Chromecast, there will be a little "Cast" button. Hit it, and just like that, it'll land on your TV. From there, you can control playback from multiple devices if you'd like.

And it doesn't stop with YouTube—all supported applications will have the cast button. In the demo today, we were shown Netflix, Google Play Movies, TV, and Music. . Google says Pandora is coming soon.

What's more there will be a Google Cast SDK so that basically any app can eventually use it. It also opens the door for the development of additional devices so that other set-top-boxes with Chromecast built-in.

But even better, this isn't limited to specific service-based applications like Netflix. The desktop version of Chrome is getting a cast button so that you can beam your Chrome tab to your TV with a click. So in the case of something like HBO Go, which doesn't yet support Chromecast—and who know, maybe it never will—you can simply beam the browser-player to your TV and be done.

From the looks of it, Chromecast is what we've been waiting for from a set-top-box for a long time. Rather than a platform-siloed experience like the one you get from Apple TV— Chromecast leaves the options wide open. We can't wait to get our hands on one.

Chromecast is available today through Google Play for $35, and it will ship from Google by August 2nd. Google says Best Buy could have Chromecast as early as July 27th.

Advertisement
K74T
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Chromecast Is Google's $35 answer to AppleTV.

Postby K74T » July 24th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Wants

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » July 24th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Nice...

bonzo.specb
punchin NOS

Postby bonzo.specb » July 24th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Awesome!

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 24th, 2013, 2:09 pm

because google.

-Roach-
12 pounds of Boost

Postby -Roach- » July 24th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Pretty Cool!...

Tired Accord
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Tired Accord » July 24th, 2013, 2:11 pm

So I just bought a Sony wifi dongle for my Bravia to get internet content on my TV. [The actual content I get is alot of Latin American feeds - but that's another issue].....

How is this Chromecast doohicky any different then, from amy internet-connected TV? It seems it allows you to display your internet content which is actually streaming onto your device - on your TV..?

DTAC
Shifting into 6th

Postby DTAC » July 24th, 2013, 2:23 pm

A cool little device for people who don't have smart tvs. Very nice.

DionYorker
3NE 2NR for life

Postby DionYorker » July 24th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Google says Pandora is coming soon

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

RASC
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RASC » July 24th, 2013, 2:39 pm

The End. Wants!

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 24th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Tired Accord wrote:So I just bought a Sony wifi dongle for my Bravia to get internet content on my TV. [The actual content I get is alot of Latin American feeds - but that's another issue].....

How is this Chromecast doohicky any different then, from amy internet-connected TV? It seems it allows you to display your internet content which is actually streaming onto your device - on your TV..?
this allows for mirroring and streaming content from your smartphone or tablet on to your TV. It connects to Chrome on your device (PC, laptop, tablet or phone) and shares it on your TV. This brings content to your TV that an internet connection alone or a smartTV alone cannot bring you.

DTAC wrote:A cool little device for people who don't have smart tvs. Very nice.
not really. This allows your TV to do ALOT more than a smartTV would. YOu can have virtually any app or any content from your PC or phone or tablet now on your TV with this device.

this is what AppleTV did all along for iPhone and iPad users via Apple's AirPlay, however AirPlay shares the entire device, not just what is in the browser like ChromeCast does. Better than AppleTV though, is that this ChromeCast is said to be completely open, unlike AppleTV which is locked to the apps built in or on your phone, unless you want to jailbreak your AppleTV.

Quicksilver
Riding on 17's

Postby Quicksilver » July 24th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Already sold out on Google Play :-|

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » July 24th, 2013, 3:07 pm

That's not actually how it works eh Duane. It just allows you to pull stuff off the cloud and watch it on TV.

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » July 24th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 24th, 2013, 3:16 pm

pete wrote:That's not actually how it works eh Duane. It just allows you to pull stuff off the cloud and watch it on TV.
via Chrome running on a device right?

you still need a device running Chrome to stream from, based on this:
"Chromecast, according to Google, will have close to zero setup time. Just pop the little flash-drive shaped device into your TV's HDMI port, connect it to your home Wi-Fi, and then you're ready to wirelessly transfer what you're watching on your computer, phone, or tablet on your TV."

Swisha
Chronic 2NR

Postby Swisha » July 24th, 2013, 3:20 pm

the only supported apps so far are Netflix, YouTube, Google Play and whatever is in your Chrome browser.

u can't stream local media

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » July 24th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Swisha wrote:the only supported apps so far are Netflix, YouTube, Google Play and whatever is in your Chrome browser.

u can't stream local media

open media with chrome , hit chromecast button ?

:|

noshownogo
punchin NOS

Postby noshownogo » July 24th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Device looks promising, couple that with $35 cost. Easy sell and will no doubt be on everyone's Christmas list.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » July 24th, 2013, 5:42 pm

If it would let you stream video from the phone or tablet video player or music from the device it would be cool. The demo just showed them accessing stuff from the Google Music Store YouTube and Netflix

Swisha
Chronic 2NR

Postby Swisha » July 24th, 2013, 5:46 pm

pete wrote:If it would let you stream video from the phone or tablet video player or music from the device it would be cool. The demo just showed them accessing stuff from the Google Music Store YouTube and Netflix

yeah same thing i said. but it's open source as usual so expect a whole lot of apps soon that will be able to do this

Jade_Inc.
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Jade_Inc. » July 24th, 2013, 5:47 pm

kinda lovin itttt

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 24th, 2013, 5:52 pm

pete wrote:If it would let you stream video from the phone or tablet video player or music from the device it would be cool. The demo just showed them accessing stuff from the Google Music Store YouTube and Netflix
if the video is showing in the chrome browser then you should be able to stream it eg. in Vimeo.

Swisha
Chronic 2NR

Postby Swisha » July 24th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
if the video is showing in the chrome browser then you should be able to stream it eg. in Vimeo.

kinda missing d point, but ok

knorgriff
3NE 2NR for life

Postby knorgriff » July 24th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Y'all think it would be wise to get one of these or an Apple TV instead of buying a smart tv?? I'm really considering what to do since I already own a regular Samsung LED

RASC
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RASC » July 24th, 2013, 6:41 pm

It's only a matter of time before developers start integrating the apk into apps.

This is a game changer. If you're already invested heavily into iTunes, maybe not.

But for new time buyers... what compelling argument would there be to get an apple tv?

Am I getting this right:

Streaming-your device can do other things
Mirroring-your device acts as a standard apple tv would.

shandyman
Street 2NR

Postby shandyman » July 24th, 2013, 9:03 pm

It's available as a back order on amazon right now. It includes a 3 month Netflix subscription. Subtract the cost of the Netflix subscription (3 x $7.99) and that brings the cost down to $11 for the device.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DR0PDNE?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=qzQKuPTFEeKRM8Ldl8mYFw0_i9Ie3_YHO_0_0

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 24th, 2013, 10:11 pm

knorgriff wrote:Y'all think it would be wise to get one of these or an Apple TV instead of buying a smart tv?? I'm really considering what to do since I already own a regular Samsung LED
that depends.

Smart Tvs are usually not as fast or fluid as a standalone box due to simple software and slow processors. SmartTVs often have proprietary systems that cant be added to or you won't find much of a developer community for. ALOT of people develop for AppleTV, Roku and will also for ChromeCast. You can jailbreak and run even more apps and things like XBMC which you can't do with a smartTV.

If you use an iPhone and/or iPad, Mac etc then an appleTV is an obvious choice for you. However if you're an Android user then this ChromeCast would make more sense to you.

javishm
punchin NOS

Postby javishm » July 24th, 2013, 10:36 pm

ah want it

knorgriff
3NE 2NR for life

Postby knorgriff » July 24th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
knorgriff wrote:Y'all think it would be wise to get one of these or an Apple TV instead of buying a smart tv?? I'm really considering what to do since I already own a regular Samsung LED
that depends.

Smart Tvs are usually not as fast or fluid as a standalone box due to simple software and slow processors. SmartTVs often have proprietary systems that cant be added to or you won't find much of a developer community for. ALOT of people develop for AppleTV, Roku and will also for ChromeCast. You can jailbreak and run even more apps and things like XBMC which you can't do with a smartTV.

If you use an iPhone and/or iPad, Mac etc then an appleTV is an obvious choice for you. However if you're an Android user then this ChromeCast would make more sense to you.

Thanks for the advice man. I think I'll get the Apple TV since I have the iPhone already

sharkman121
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sharkman121 » July 25th, 2013, 12:03 am

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”