Polished Concrete Flooring

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Polished Concrete Flooring

Postby original_lollybob » October 28th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Tuners,

still doing renovations on my property. Was of course going the normal tile route, but been looking at polished concrete floors on pinterest and other sites.

Seems very good looking, durable and cost-wise (in the US) is about 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of tiles.

Anyone locally with experience in this flooring system and its benefits and drawbacks?

Installers, providers etc?

Thanks much.

eg

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Polished Concrete Flooring

Postby crazybalhead » October 28th, 2013, 2:05 pm

1) You are going to have a hard time finding someone to do it properly.
2) IF you ever get a chance to sell your house, dummies will say "Why you didn tile de floor dan?
3) The significant other better approve, or you already spinning top in mud.

It's an acquired taste. I like it, and you can get many different colour stains and sealers available locally to customise the look. Agostini interiors has, as well as SCL in San Juan. A mortar slick, done very well can work. But it has to be done really really well to look like those pics.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » October 28th, 2013, 2:13 pm

What's the difference between this and terrazzo?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 28th, 2013, 2:14 pm

^ no yucky stone chips and spacer lines?

yeah i love the modern look too

You'd probably have to use a readymix pour so you don't end up with gravel or sharp sand rocks in the finish. I'd think you'd powerfloat and then use a terrazo machine?

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » October 28th, 2013, 2:14 pm

crazybalhead wrote:1) You are going to have a hard time finding someone to do it properly.
2) IF you ever get a chance to sell your house, dummies will say "Why you didn tile de floor dan?

It's an acquired taste. I like it, and you can get many different colour stains and sealers available locally to customise the look. Agostini interiors has, as well as SCL in San Juan. A mortar slick, done very well can work. But it has to be done really really well to look like those pics.

1. figured as much
2. well dummies will always be dummies
3. the SO loves the idea as well

will call those guys now to get some info. Thanks man

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » October 28th, 2013, 2:15 pm

crazybalhead wrote:1) You are going to have a hard time finding someone to do it properly.
Like everything else in this place, if you're willing to pay PROPERLY I know people who can do it properly.

Again if properly done, i eh think even the dummies will say that.

I outta that one. :lol:

There's also the option, which ive done in a few houses/gazebos.etc., of the same concrete being patterned to look like tile.

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » October 28th, 2013, 2:22 pm

so of course SCL no. is out of service
Agostini has no idea what i talking about...

pete.. terrazzo is the little stones that they mix in the concrete and then polish and seal. This is the application of some sort of stain or acid and then polishing the actual concrete surface and then a sealer.

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » October 28th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Mr. Red Sleeper wrote:1) You are going to have a hard time finding someone to do it properly.
Like everything else in this place, if you're willing to pay PROPERLY I know people who can do it properly.

contact?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 28th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Love this, but I sure the missus would hate it.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 28th, 2013, 4:24 pm

original_lollybob wrote:so of course SCL no. is out of service
Agostini has no idea what i talking about...

pete.. terrazzo is the little stones that they mix in the concrete and then polish and seal. This is the application of some sort of stain or acid and then polishing the actual concrete surface and then a sealer.
you don't have to use the stain and acid though

in this video they suggest the alternative to acid etching and then staining would be to grind the floor (depending on end result and hardness of concrete) with a 30/40 grit metal, then 80/100 grit metal, then 100 grit resin, densify the floor, then 200 grit resin then dye the floor.

You only need a stain if you want to colour the concrete. I kinda like the natural grey.

eekipoo
Sweet on this forum

Postby eekipoo » October 28th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Such a great coincidence that this topic was started. I've been doing some research recently and was weighing the options or installing granite in our kitchen but came across white concrete counter tops like the image below. Looking for someone to do this of course because it is cheaper but also looks really good. Thinking about doing it myself but the finish is what i'm not sure off.
Attachments
white concrete countertop.jpg

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » October 28th, 2013, 6:53 pm

yuh know OP all you needed to do is PM me

Pre
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Pre » October 28th, 2013, 7:15 pm

What about using shield-crete from Sherwin Williams same results and less work only problem is that its only available in pewter and beige

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 28th, 2013, 7:21 pm

eekipoo wrote:Such a great coincidence that this topic was started. I've been doing some research recently and was weighing the options or installing granite in our kitchen but came across white concrete counter tops like the image below. Looking for someone to do this of course because it is cheaper but also looks really good. Thinking about doing it myself but the finish is what i'm not sure off.
nice!!!!

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » October 28th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Corn Bird
Sweet on this forum

Postby Corn Bird » October 28th, 2013, 8:32 pm

eekipoo wrote:Such a great coincidence that this topic was started. I've been doing some research recently and was weighing the options or installing granite in our kitchen but came across white concrete counter tops like the image below. Looking for someone to do this of course because it is cheaper but also looks really good. Thinking about doing it myself but the finish is what i'm not sure off.

looked around also for someone to do a concrete countertop. i saw an example of this kind of countertop in a house in st joseph; it didn't look bad. it didn't look really good either.

couldn't find someone to do it for me, so i went with a different material instead.

i'll make a point -- it's easy to take photos/videos off the internet; the question is whether the work can be done locally

the thing about granite (or solid surface, or quartz) is that it can be done locally

1383715_675536719132503_2011981564_n.jpg

this is in st joseph

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.675536035799238.1073741847.161468160539364&type=1

190119_197381906947989_1741102_n.jpg

and this is in glencoe

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.161487527204094.35051.161468160539364&type=1

Rock Thor
Street 2NR

Postby Rock Thor » October 28th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Hoss this is a simple, week end project. Check youtube. But it can be slippery when wet. Terrazzo uses fine gravel mixed in concrete and you use a grinder to smooth and polisher to get a gloss. Very messy job. This is seen in older buildings. However it can get dirty very easily if in a high traffic area e.g. a kitchen.

Porcelain Tiles ( glazed ) is the way to go. Wait for a close out sale and buy large ones. Good Luck !

eekipoo
Sweet on this forum

Postby eekipoo » October 28th, 2013, 9:48 pm

What type of counters are these? The finish looks really good from the pic if it's concrete

Rock Thor
Street 2NR

Postby Rock Thor » October 28th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Granite. Expensive type.

Corn Bird
Sweet on this forum

Postby Corn Bird » October 28th, 2013, 10:13 pm

eekipoo wrote:What type of counters are these? The finish looks really good from the pic if it's concrete

granite. the yellow is probably madura gold or some type of giallo. the red is (i'm guessing) crema bordeaux. the crema is more expensive than the madura as it has patterns in it.

last year, it was possible to get the madura (with installation) at $350 /sq foot

the crema is perhaps twice that

can trying calling or visiting

ETS granite (Maracas St Joseph)
Surfaces and Surroundings (Kelly Village, Caroni)
Maraj Universal Counters (Frederick Settlement, Caroni)

their prices are more on the reasonable side

see http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=491873

Corn Bird
Sweet on this forum

Postby Corn Bird » October 28th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Rock Thor wrote:Hoss this is a simple, week end project. Check youtube. But it can be slippery when wet.

can add this

http://www.hcconcrete.com/products/shark-grip-prep-products/Shark_Grip_Slip_Resistant_Additive/

to the concrete sealer to prevent slipping. the h & c stuff is good imo and available at sherwin williams as far as i know

-Roach-
12 pounds of Boost

Postby -Roach- » October 29th, 2013, 8:13 am

Did the frames of my cupboards in concrete and built the doors with teak... Was gonna use granite counter tops but this looks pretty good.....

Wali
Ricer

Postby Wali » October 29th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Call R.G.L 742-1550
www.trinicontractors.com

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » October 29th, 2013, 1:13 pm

ronsin1 wrote:

Good product, but more suitable for florrs that have already been finished. Check the 3M Trizact Discs for this process (some will be familiar with them for use on cars) the Gold has and has about 3 'grits' built in and the red and blue 4 different ANSI grit numbers in each disk. I would post a link but I'm not capeable of doing so.

Also with those purple pads above, we have come a long way since that video was made...changed the adheisive and the abraisve and now have a better perfoming product that last really long, and does wonders on large tarrazo areas like airports and shopping centres.

I have both the Trizact and Floor pads in the vid at home and have used then on lots of different floors of varing ages and hardness with good results...combine that with a good floor treatment like Scotchgard and you on.

:)

SMc
Last edited by SMc on October 29th, 2013, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 29th, 2013, 1:17 pm

SMc wrote: I would post a link but I'm not capeable of doing so
why not?

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » October 29th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
SMc wrote: I would post a link but I'm not capeable of doing so
why not?

my left hand index finger hurts when I do it...I'm not sure if a coincedence or a figment of my imagination, I have asked RnR for a solution though...in the mean time

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » October 29th, 2013, 2:28 pm

As we're talking about polishing floors. Is there any way to fix a floor that wasn't power floated to be smooth like that? Contractor set us up and didn't power float and now the floor isn't smooth and some is crumbling easily. Any way to treat the concrete or do we have to break it up and start over?

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » October 29th, 2013, 3:01 pm

this is brilliant!

joel
3NE 2NR for life

Postby joel » October 29th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Call me...website of what can be done. Went to train in this.

Garages, driveways, indoor options, countertops.

Advancedconcretesolutionstt.com.

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » October 30th, 2013, 8:41 am

pete wrote:As we're talking about polishing floors. Is there any way to fix a floor that wasn't power floated to be smooth like that? Contractor set us up and didn't power float and now the floor isn't smooth and some is crumbling easily. Any way to treat the concrete or do we have to break it up and start over?

Crumbling?
SOunds like he just "slicked" the floor as the locals call it.
"apply a concrete mixtcha of abt 2"thk and level the floor!"

Would never last...

Start over.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”