this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

jsr
3NE 2NR Power Seller

WTK: Slingbox \ sling media device

Postby jsr » November 11th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Anyone here uses a slingbox or slingmedia device

Want to find out some info
Last edited by jsr on November 12th, 2013, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: WTK: Slingbox \ Dling media device

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 11th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Yeah what do you want find out?

jsr
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby jsr » November 11th, 2013, 7:05 pm

My smart tv has that as an app but it needs to be connected to a slingbox for it to work

Is it worthwile getting one?

jsr
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: WTK: Slingbox \ sling media device

Postby jsr » November 12th, 2013, 8:23 am

corrected spelling in the topic

jsr
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby jsr » November 13th, 2013, 8:02 am

bump of topic

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 13th, 2013, 12:02 pm

jsr wrote:My smart tv has that as an app but it needs to be connected to a slingbox for it to work

well that depends on if you have use for a slingbox

a slingbox is basically a device that connects to your cable / direcTV box and to the internet. You can then access your cable box from any device with a Slingbox app on it (smartphone, tablet, pc or mac or smart TV).

It is useful, for example, if you pay for the SportsMax package on FLOW and a big football match is being played live but you can't be home to watch it. If you had a slingbox connected to your FLOW cable box at home, you could use the SlingBox app on your smartphone, tablet, pc or mac at the office or where ever you are to access your slingbox at home so you can look at the game live. It basically streams your cable box over the internet and allows you to access it anywhere that has a broadband internet connection. It is very useful for people who pay for movie channels, sport channels or pay-per-view but they travel often - the slingbox allows them to access their cable subscription from a hotel room if they wanted, once the hotel room has internet access.

The slingbox app on your smart TV works just like the slingbox app on your smartphone, tablet, pc or mac i.e. it allows you to access your slingbox over the internet.
Really if you buy a slingbox, that smart TV you have with the slingbox app will only be useful if that TV was NOT in your house, but in your office, at a relative, in a hotel room etc.

understand?

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » November 13th, 2013, 12:15 pm

So much awareness ITT

Didn't even know what a slingbox was

Bizzare
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Bizzare » November 13th, 2013, 12:22 pm

never knew of such a device, but I do this already via a TV card using my PC as the server.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 13th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Bizzare wrote:never knew of such a device, but I do this already via a TV card using my PC as the server.
ok, so you connect your cable box to the input on the TV card that is installed on a PC server. You then connect to that server from another PC to access what is showing on the cable box?

if that is what you do then how do you change the channel?
Also the slingbox is more elegant with an app on your smart device - what do you use on the remote deviec? a browser?

Bizzare
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Bizzare » November 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm

slingbox seems to offer close to what I've been trying to achieve.

I use FMLE 2.5 since it has great video capturing functions (channel changing included). Then I wrote a custom hook script for FMLE on the server that interacts with a custom HTML5/JS app that I wrote for the client browser. You can access the client app on any browser any where through a specified url.

Only one client can connect at a time though else it experiences bugs and if one client changes the channel, its changes for all clients. I can remedy the latter problem with a program called sandboxie I believe, but it'll use up a lot of the server's resources. I just did this for experimenting and entertainment.

New_SPECIES
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby New_SPECIES » November 13th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
jsr wrote:My smart tv has that as an app but it needs to be connected to a slingbox for it to work

a slingbox is basically a device that connects to your cable / direcTV box and to the internet. You can then access your cable box from any device with a Slingbox app on it (smartphone, tablet, pc or mac or smart TV).

It is useful, for example, if you pay for the SportsMax package on FLOW and a big football match is being played live but you can't be home to watch it. If you had a slingbox connected to your FLOW cable box at home, you could use the SlingBox app on your smartphone, tablet, pc or mac at the office or where ever you are to access your slingbox at home so you can look at the game live. It basically streams your cable box over the internet and allows you to access it anywhere that has a broadband internet connection. It is very useful for people who pay for movie channels, sport channels or pay-per-view but they travel often - the slingbox allows them to access their cable subscription from a hotel room if they wanted, once the hotel room has internet access.

The slingbox app on your smart TV works just like the slingbox app on your smartphone, tablet, pc or mac i.e. it allows you to access your slingbox over the internet.
Really if you buy a slingbox, that smart TV you have with the slingbox app will only be useful if that TV was NOT in your house, but in your office, at a relative, in a hotel room etc.

understand?

How is your experience with the mobile devices using the ISPs of Trinidad?

Is the “4G” that they offer here fast enough to stream the cable without glitching?

In other words... does it require a very fast connection to get the true “TV experience”?

For example:
We all know that FLOW has very good speeds, but for those with Blink/GreenDot etc in their homes; do you think they would have problems or will those ISP connections be fast enough?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 14th, 2013, 10:36 pm

New_SPECIES wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

understand?

How is your experience with the mobile devices using the ISPs of Trinidad?

Is the “4G” that they offer here fast enough to stream the cable without glitching?

In other words... does it require a very fast connection to get the true “TV experience”?

For example:
We all know that FLOW has very good speeds, but for those with Blink/GreenDot etc in their homes; do you think they would have problems or will those ISP connections be fast enough?
FLOW and Blink work well for streaming services like Netflix. YOu need a 5Mb connection or faster for HD content - a 15Mb connection is preferred.

you can run Netflix on a 4G connection on your mobile phone. The slingbox would be no different. As data rates drop the video quality will also drop but on a small screen it is less noticeable than if you are looking it in on a TV.

karl
3NE 2NR for life

Postby karl » December 6th, 2013, 1:26 pm

hey duane, i recently bought one, and im going through the configuration, but im stuck with the location/zip code/provider part.....any tips please??

edit : ok i got it to work !

how cool!, it only lets 1 viewing at a time tho ..for now. :)
Last edited by karl on December 6th, 2013, 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 6th, 2013, 1:54 pm

karl wrote:hey duane, i recently bought one, and im going through the configuration, but im stuck with the location/zip code/provider part.....any tips please??
The slingbox is really to be used with cable providers in the US via their own subscriptions -

I can't remember the setup exactly, but I believe you can use your skybox address as a US address

karl
3NE 2NR for life

Postby karl » December 6th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
karl wrote:hey duane, i recently bought one, and im going through the configuration, but im stuck with the location/zip code/provider part.....any tips please??
The slingbox is really to be used with cable providers in the US via their own subscriptions -

I can't remember the setup exactly, but I believe you can use your skybox address as a US address

yea i just used any old zip code and then choose that my provider not listed, then entered flows motorola modem model number , works great !

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 6th, 2013, 2:04 pm

karl wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

yea i just used any old zip code and then choose that my provider not listed, then entered flows motorola modem model number , works great !
yup!

mind if I ask what was your reason for getting a slingbox?

karl
3NE 2NR for life

Postby karl » December 6th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
karl wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

yup!

FORMULA 1 BABY !

use to miss f1 practice when i had classes, errands to run etc...no more!

plus with this my laptop basically functions as a tv and cable box in any room in my house, or around the world !

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 6th, 2013, 5:36 pm

karl wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
karl wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

yup!

FORMULA 1 BABY !

use to miss f1 practice when i had classes, errands to run etc...no more!

plus with this my laptop basically functions as a tv and cable box in any room in my house, or around the world !
good stuff!

jsr
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby jsr » December 6th, 2013, 9:28 pm

wow interesting
thanks for the insight into the slingbox

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”