TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

MSc. Information Systems Management Programme at SBCS?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

MSc. Information Systems Management Programme at SBCS?

Postby Anotrin » November 11th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Just wondering has anyone done this Msc at Sbcs?. I would like to get some real reviews other than that of biased sites. I already got through to Uwi Msc Computer science but just like the undergrad- only programming so I am thinking twice.
So anyone here that can possibly give me some feedback wrt to this Msc at SBCS I will be grateful.
ex
-content application to real world
-competence of the lecturers
-useful or just as watered down as an IT degree?
-etc

Advertisement
DFC
2NRholic

Re: MSc. Information Systems Management Programme at SBCS?

Postby DFC » November 11th, 2013, 9:50 pm

do your masters in something that will aid your career.
like an MBA or masters in management or something.

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » November 11th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I hold a Bsc in Computer Science from Uwi. Mba's have become too common and that Imba from lok jack @ over 88k is ridiculous. I just wanted to get some feedback on this Sbcs Msc

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » November 11th, 2013, 10:49 pm

DFC wrote:do your masters in something that will aid your career.
like an MBA or masters in management or something.

Or project mgmt. It's geared towards a number of fields, and big with ICT.
Would help you a lot.

Shogun11
Riding on 13's

Postby Shogun11 » November 12th, 2013, 10:54 am

Im currently doing the MSc ISM, in my opinion I think its a good degree, you have some development courses but most courses are management/strategic driven. The lecturers are very good and bring a lot of real world knowledge to the course. The program is geared towards producing future IT Managers and doesn't only rely on programming as the UWI MSC does. hope this helps

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » November 12th, 2013, 3:36 pm

2 different fields though.

Computer Science is not even remotely close the same thing as ISM

According to this website

http://www.samtt.com/sites/default/file ... ochure.pdf

they offer Msc in Computer Science from Anglia Ruskin university. One can gain entry into this with a 1 year Diploma in IT or experience in IT.

This cannot be real computer science because QUOTE

Computer science (abbreviated CS or CompSci) is the scientific and practical approach to computation and its applications. It is the systematic study of the feasibility, structure, expression, and mechanization of the methodical processes (or algorithms) that underlie the acquisition, representation, processing, storage, communication of, and access to information, whether such information is encoded in bits and bytes in a computer memory or transcribed engines and protein structures in a human cell.[1] A computer scientist specializes in the theory of computation and the design of computational systems.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science

I would suggest you go SBCS.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 12th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Take other people's advice with a few grains of salt, only you can know your short, medium and long term goals.
A Master's degree fits into your medium to long term planning.

That said, the UWI Msc degree carries more 'weight', since it is not an easy programme and only 10-15 people a year graduate with it. Don't know SBCS/SAMS/CTS figures, but I'd suspect more.

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » November 12th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Well the uwi msc is just a continuation of my bsc with them. Programming is not at such a demand in trini. Most. Places just use software. I turned down the msc offer for this reason and contemplating mba or this sbcs msc. That project mgmt seems really good as well in terms of expanding knowledge and rsnge of career opportunities. I just wanted an insight on that specific msc offered. Thanks for alll the input so far. I can start sbcs jan or proj mgmt in uwi in sep.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » November 12th, 2013, 4:35 pm

UWI is always the best option simply because UWI is not a fly by night school.

But if its just a Business Degree you doing infact here what just go SAM and do a MBA with Anglia Ruskin. You not doing comp science anymore so none of this matters, its just business so you can do this in any school and have the same respect when you graduate. SAM is cheapest so do it there.
You done have comp science so no need for more computer degrees.

Sabot
Sweet on this forum

Postby Sabot » November 12th, 2013, 11:39 pm

Out of 25 students in my class at the start only 6 graduated so its not as easy as you may think. This is the Msc ISM at sbcs from the university of greenwich. Excellent program imo and the university is involved at every step. Lecturers were really good but sbcs admin needs some work. Cant go wrong with this choice.

solidust
Sweet on this forum

Postby solidust » June 18th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Anyone knows the avg cost for a Msc at SAMS?

Redress10
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Redress10 » June 19th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Do you all even research these degrees before undertaking study? There is a lot of information online regarding university and department ranking.

Schools like Sbcs and Sams etc do not have award degrees, they only offer teaching assistance. They don't mark your exam papers in Trinidad etc. Well atleast with the UoL degrees they don't. I can't speak for the other distance learning programmes.

School's like Greenwich and hertfordshire , Anglia Ruskin don't rank highly in the UK...Greenwich is ranked 98, hertfordshire is ranked 79 and Ruskin is ranked 110...These rankings are out of 126 universities. Here is a list http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.c ... s/rankings

We are a really bright and resourceful people. Eric Williams went Oxford University in 1932. Rudranath Capildeo went University of London back in 1938.

Don't spend your time and money studying at these mediocre institutions. You already studied Computer Science at Uwi...Your capabilities are not in question at this point. A degree from one of these institutions will be a step down for you I believe.

The best distance learning programmes in Tnt at the moment are the UoL programmes. They come from universities highly ranked and sought after worldwide.

I really wish people could take the time and research these things before committing their time and resources to study. If you were in England you wouldn't even consider some of these universities.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » June 19th, 2015, 5:47 pm

solidust wrote:Anyone knows the avg cost for a Msc at SAMS?

$40,000 TTD for a MSc

That is with GATE.

I paid $35K with GATE at the time for a BSc in Computing. But should be about that same price now.

Doing my second BSc degree at UTT now in Engineering, its 100% Free. The thing is in places like sam you have to pay very high exam fees in pounds. I would recommend you do a degree locally at either UWI or UTT you actually get a better quality education locally.

Unless you talking about University of London with SBCS.

DurzoBlint1
3NE 2NR for life

Postby DurzoBlint1 » June 20th, 2015, 4:42 am

Good to see you are developing yourself.However you need to ask yourself is it very effective?Do I really like this field?Think long and hard about it before you go throwing away your hard earned money and time.It may seem like the right thing but how does it affect your own personal development and really think about if you enjoy and like this field.

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » June 20th, 2015, 6:16 am

Dude what do you want to do in life after this degree?

If it's management you're not ever going to gifted that position without experience. If it's s better job then maybe consider an engineering masters.

You're right about the MBA, most of these local programs are effortless to pass. My secretary at my office has the Herriot Watt MBA and she's no better off with it. For most people it's just a paper qualification.

UOL through SBCS has some good masters u believe.

Redress10
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Redress10 » June 20th, 2015, 9:55 pm

Yeah....Herriot Watt is like water here...Everyone has one.

To do an MBA in England or US, one has to demonstrate both managerial experience and competence. That's not necessary here. It all stems from the tertiary education providers knowing that Gate covers everything. Had there been no Gate then the person would gain the experience on the account of having to work to pursue the qualification.

Some MBA's here don't even have exams, they are project based. I don't know how effective learning like that can be.

It's scary that we churning out so many people with MBA's etc and yet we still can't solve basic organisational problems.

Redress10
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Redress10 » June 20th, 2015, 9:57 pm

The advice I would offer to OP is look to leaders in your field and see how closely you can mold your career to theirs. Look at what they studied and the sort of experience they got throughout their career.

evolution91
Sweet on this forum

Postby evolution91 » June 20th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Preech it

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » June 20th, 2015, 10:37 pm

I know a number of people with MBAs and it didn't do squat for them. I was actually considering an MBA after I finished my BSc but realized it would be a total waste of time.

See unless you already working for a very large company and you see yourself reaching upper management position and you have years of experience in the same company then the odds of that MBA helping you get a professional job is slim to none.

My hope is to have a software development company one day. To do this requires a lot of work on my part, a MSc degree would not help me. What I need is skills, I already have IT skills and business skills, I could market myself and or a product I can do a lot of things like this. But to develop said product worth anyone's time I need an Engineering Degree. The actual paper that says BSc in Computer Engineering is of no use to me. I need the knowledge of Engineering to apply it to software development to become more efficient. After this second BSc I am going to try and get a MSc in Computer Science from UWI which I feel will be much much greater benefit to me than an MBA.

See what I am trying to say to make a long story short, if you are doing some undergraduate or postgraduate course, just make sure that the knowledge you gain from it can help you achieve the goal you are aiming for. If you just aiming to get the piece of paper to say you have a MBA or whatever then you better hope that Job you going after is guaranteed for you or you know people else its useless to you.

PS: keep in mind, everyone has degrees now. Market is flooded and a degree come like CXC now. Which is why its vital that the experience you gain from your degree can help you in life else it defeats the whole purpose of University. Try to avoid all British Universities locally except UOL. UWI holds far more weight than majority of British Degrees.

Redress10
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Redress10 » June 20th, 2015, 10:54 pm

ED....You on the right path there...Trust me...Can't go wrong with a masters in computer science.

Redress10
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Redress10 » June 20th, 2015, 10:56 pm

ED....You on the right path there...Trust me...Can't go wrong with a masters in computer science.

In today's world people don't pay for an MBA you know, the company does. The company charts a course for their promising employees and educates them. That ensures the organisation always has strategic direction and manpower. People rarely pay for MBA's out of pocket...Most MBA's in the Uk costs nothing less than 300,000 tt.

The Paleontologist
18 pounds of Boost

Postby The Paleontologist » June 20th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Is a degree from the Australian Institute of Business better than these British degrees(Heriot Watt etc)?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » June 20th, 2015, 11:08 pm

Redress10 wrote:ED....You on the right path there...Trust me...Can't go wrong with a masters in computer science.

In today's world people don't pay for an MBA you know, the company does. The company charts a course for their promising employees and educates them. That ensures the organisation always has strategic direction and manpower. People rarely pay for MBA's out of pocket...Most MBA's in the Uk costs nothing less than 300,000 tt.

Aah now this makes sense. You see I know a number of people who paid to get that 12 month MBA from CTSBSCSTSBCSBTCSCTSBCS I think its an Australian MBA and didn't do anything for them. One of my friends work ministry of finance in IT and that MBA didn't do anything for him.

But I know a MBA is a professional post graduate degree. And its not something you just go ahead and do expecting to get a Job in upper management with it. This other girl I know who works First Citizens bank has both a BSc in Business Administration and an MBA and she is still working as a teller. Jobs not floating around there now, and she ain't willing to risk a 12 month contract with OJT when she has a good permanent Job for now.

Last I checked with her, she was going UWI, doing a BSc in Biology. This just goes to show you how undervalued degrees have become. But she is doing the correct thing, she is doing science a field most are afraid of getting into. The rewards will be good, when she is done she won't be like everyother joe out there with the exact same degree, she will now be much more unique.

Redress10
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Redress10 » June 20th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Absolutely not.....The Australian Institute of Business isn't even accredited by some quarters...If it's too good to be true then it probably isn't.

I once sat in on an MBA class at Cass Business School, City University in London. Other members of the class included a division head at Shell Global and a founder of Zynga.
Last edited by Redress10 on June 20th, 2015, 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Redress10
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Redress10 » June 20th, 2015, 11:19 pm

ED.....make sure and tell her not to risk her permanent job for the OJT one...We are too overeducated in this country....We need to start pushing more innovation and invention. Too many people are being educated to fill a job and not find a solution to a problem. Time we start encouraging people to create jobs instead of filling them. Our economy desperately needs job creation.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » June 20th, 2015, 11:25 pm

Redress10 wrote:Absolutely not.....The Australian Institute of Business isn't even accredited by some quarters...If it's too good to be true then it probably isn't.

I was sat in on an MBA class at City University in London. Other members of the class included a division head at Shell Global and a founder of Zynga.

I feel he talking about the same MBA that CTSBSCCTSCBSCTSCBSCTSBCST

http://www.ctscbcs.com/business/mba

the 12 Month MBA will complement your life, not complicate it.
CTS College is pleased to announce our offering of the Australian Institute of Business MBA programme.

See in life what I learned the hard way is there are no shortcuts. When I did relational databases in my IT degree I never truly understood how to go about doing it. I always had a mental block.

In Engineering now when I do relational algebra for Engineering Mathematics I understand now how it all fits together. Yes there are shortcuts to getting a BSc Paper without having to go through the long and painful process. But you do yourself a great disservice because when you face real problems in the world of computing you then realize that Job you just got you may not be able to keep it.

It is very important that people do programs that are accredited by a proper international body. Our very own UWI has programs you will consider world class and ontop there with some of the top British Universities in the world like UOL or top American State Universities, UWI stands on their own. Few people truly know how impressive UWI is.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » June 20th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Redress10 wrote:ED.....make sure and tell her not to risk her permanent job for the OJT one...We are too overeducated in this country....We need to start pushing more innovation and invention. Too many people are being educated to fill a job and not find a solution to a problem. Time we start encouraging people to create jobs instead of filling them. Our economy desperately needs job creation.

Yeah I told her that last year. She told me what she wanted to do but I advised her against leaving her good permanent Job until she gets an education that can make her confident and useful. She actually did get a raise of pay because of her degrees, and well its more than what OJT is going to pay her anyways. Another thing she has it nice because she gets the whole weekend off to study, and any time off she needs for studies. Few places in this country really offers this luxury.

She is thinking of being a Biology Teacher at A levels when she graduates from UWI. Really its just one of the areas she can go into with that degree, she could branch off into many different areas with a Biology Degree. I does always encourage people to do Science, we have waaaay too many business graduates in this country looking to only apply OJT.

You can literally invent things with a Science/Engineering education. If you can find a way to solve a problem with science and engineering, you are instantly more valuable than majority of the people out there. Many doors start opening up for you a lot quicker. Always remember the guy who invented tumblr and sold it to Yahoo for a billion USD. He found a way to solve a problem and provide a solution to what consumers wanted, instant billionaire. And all he needed to know was programming.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on June 20th, 2015, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redress10
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Redress10 » June 20th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Business isn't fully utilised in this country because alot of businesses and companies know that they'll survive based on government contracts and connections etc. Therefore they don't place much emphasis on fostering business ingenuity. Management is a science at the end of the day and if utilised properly could change the entire dynamic. Massy, Ansa Mcal etc they mainly just import and sell. The money still leaves here at the end of the day so we actually creating jobs and demands in other nations.

We need to encourage more people to pursue STEM degrees. We also need to rethink how we teach those subjects as well...To much regurgitation and not enough critical thinking.

Redress10
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Redress10 » June 20th, 2015, 11:46 pm

ED....Alot of start up also fail so it may not be possible for everyone. Also remember that America's silicone valley is essentially a hub for those type of start ups and they have the structures in place to nurture start ups. I hate to hear people call computer science "IT". That crawls my blood...Computer Science is such an amazing and empowering field. I wish more emphasis and importance is placed on it.

The CEO of Massy, Gervase Warner has an undergrad in electrical and computer engineering from pennyslvania university and an MBA from Harvard University...Really impressive stuff...Man went Ivy League twice.

You all see the type of caliber of people we have roaming this land. Never question your abilities and sell yourself short. We are bright peopel. That OJT programme and this thing call "experience" really killing youth vibrancy and resourcefulness though. I hope we find a better solution that empowers the youth and give them more freedom to create.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » June 20th, 2015, 11:49 pm

^ yes I was told a more technical/scientific person makes a better manager than someone with a liberal arts management degree.

Hopefully more of our top local graduates will stay in Trinidad and help build the country in the coming years. And people locally with be more interested in science.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”