Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Why the Majority of Trinbagonians Shouldn't Buy A New Ca

Postby cinco » December 8th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Lol doh buy no car

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » December 8th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Sky wrote:Why are people expecting so much for a car when they're done with it?
You buy a car and use it for 7 years. If you're ready to move on you should be concerned with picking up a downpayment for another. anymore is a bonus, because you had use of this vehicle for 7 years!
Someone can't talk money and treat the car like just an asset, but overlook the fact that if they rented one, they would have paid much more and have much less freedoms. They paid for the use of a vehicle and got much more.

Same applies to intellect? had use of it for a certain number of ideas, so....................

The value of a car is the cost of the replacement. My maintenance which allowed me longevity does not make replacing it any cheaper. It's because I recognised that value and worked at keeping the car to that standard.
If you know what you have and maintained you're certain of the cost to get something close to it. And I'm not talking exorbitant. Those same figures (rental, convenience, etc). Make that cheaper and of course the price of used cars will go down. But the only direction prices in this country go is up. Even "used" has to join the pattern as a result.

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » December 8th, 2013, 11:03 pm

^^ Right. Same angle, just more detailed. I just think looking at it like an asset that just sits and does nothing can't be right..

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » December 8th, 2013, 11:10 pm

"Poor people but things they don't need to impress people they don't like"

"Stupidest thing you can do when you're working for someone else is buy a new car. Get a well maintained older one and move up. "

Read those two quotes in a book some time ago. Can't remember the author.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » December 9th, 2013, 12:18 am

Sky wrote:^^ Right. Same angle, just more detailed. I just think looking at it like an asset that just sits and does nothing can't be right..

I agree with you on that.

It's a tool.
You use it, you maintain it, you know the convenience of having it, and you know the cost to replace it.

From sledgehammer to SCUBA to backhoe and beyond.................. what happens the day you don't have it when that is what you depend on?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 9th, 2013, 6:23 am

rspann wrote: A new car has never been driven, has no wear and tear and has never been abused. Why start off with a car that is already years old and things start failing in it?

LOL

you obviously have never seen the local car companies driving the new cars from the port to their showrooms/parking lots

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » December 9th, 2013, 7:19 am

ABA Trading LTD wrote:
rspann wrote: A new car has never been driven, has no wear and tear and has never been abused. Why start off with a car that is already years old and things start failing in it?

LOL

you obviously have never seen the local car companies driving the new cars from the port to their showrooms/parking lots

Obviously comparable to years of use. :|

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 9th, 2013, 7:54 am

the man say NEVER been driven, have NO wear and tear and NEVER been abused

those "new" cars are fairly abused before sale to customers locally
especially before the "engine break in" period.And then the local sellers will tell the customer to follow the instructions not to drive over 80-120 km/h for the first few thousand(or was it few hundred) kms

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » December 9th, 2013, 2:02 pm

ABA Trading LTD wrote:the man say NEVER been driven, have NO wear and tear and NEVER been abused

especially before the "engine break in" period.And then the local sellers will tell the customer to follow the instructions not to drive over 80-120 km/h for the first few thousand(or was it few hundred) kms

And you believed that is what he really meant?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » December 9th, 2013, 3:27 pm

ABA Trading LTD wrote:the man say NEVER been driven, have NO wear and tear and NEVER been abused

that's long time thing....new studies show driving in that manner isn't the proper way to break in an engine....

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » December 9th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Aaron 2NR wrote:

that's long time thing....new studies show driving in that manner isn't the proper way to break in an engine....

once more
read the user manual it actually details the break in procedure as needed

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » December 9th, 2013, 3:34 pm

In general, people no longer break in the engines of their own vehicles after purchasing a car or motorcycle, because the process is done in production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-in_( ... cal_run-in)

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » December 9th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Aaron 2NR wrote:
In general, people no longer break in the engines of their own vehicles after purchasing a car or motorcycle, because the process is done in production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-in_( ... cal_run-in)

cinco wrote:
Aaron 2NR wrote:

once more
read the user manual it actually details the break in procedure as needed

shottah_crew
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby shottah_crew » December 9th, 2013, 4:17 pm

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to a used car....

Trinbagoviews
Street 2NR

Postby Trinbagoviews » December 11th, 2013, 9:53 am

shottah_crew wrote:I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to a used car....

LOL

Rallyfignis
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rallyfignis » December 11th, 2013, 11:09 am

Allyuh talking like the new cars getting abused for a 6 months then going to the customer.
Round trip from POS to Morvant is not going to do any damage at all unless the vehicle gets in an accident.
And doe start the "break in" shite - we not living in 1987 anymore.
Even though OP skewed the stats with overinflated interest and depreciation rates, the same applies for used cars as well anyway...

Preludeman1
Street 2NR

Postby Preludeman1 » December 17th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Rallyfignis wrote:
Preludeman1 wrote:
Rallyfignis wrote:
Trinbagoviews wrote:The reason you can't get ahead is because you give all your money to the bank and make poor financial decisions.

You're doing it wrong.
The best businessmen would tell you to lean on the bank - use their money, not yours.

U've been hearing smart people talk, and ur trying to copy them... U have no idea in what context that statement is made, that statement is applied when speakin of investments... In assets, not liabilities. A car,in most cases is a liability, its lessens in value and it requires money to operate. So u will end up paying the bank interest, the operating cost, and u loose ur initial investment in depreciation. There is no good business decision there buddy, esp when there are roro cars that come in doing 20k km, and most dealers don't mind if u get a full inspection prior to purchase.

The op in this thread is one of the few Trinidadians who have a good understanding of instant gratification, he has a great understanding of how to maximize the current and near future value of his money.
So kudos to u pal! :)

Y'all doe read or what?
The man was talking about getting ahead, so was I.
Forget context, cuz if your way of getting ahead is buying cars (esp used ones) well props to you Sheron...

So getting ahead means buying a new car for ridiculous prices?
Not fr me pal, getting ahead means financial peace of mind, liquidity when its most important. Educating my kids, using my money for more important things. Not trying to disrespect u btw, just having a objective discussion.
And i read the whole thread.
To each their own.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”