Forums

Digicel Internet Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Digicel Internet Thread

Postby Kronik » October 16th, 2018, 8:43 pm

maxtech wrote:2am - 5am boy that is sleep time who cares if internet working them hours.
Not for everyone

snow7940
Street 2NR

Postby snow7940 » November 7th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Can you use your own router with digicel modem I got a r7000 and my internet slows down I don't know if the router is lagging or what cause I'm unable to to put the digicel router into bridge mode

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 8th, 2018, 8:12 am

You can cascade an internet connection into nearly any router. The set-up is more involved than bridging but offers advantages.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » December 17th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Advisable to switch from Flow Broadband to Digicel? Real pain here with this modem/wifi combo flow drop on me some months ago.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » December 18th, 2018, 12:29 am

They secretly doing maintenance during those hours or what? And some sites like Google and YouTube have global caching servers/CDNs hosted on Digicel own servers. So that probably allows YouTube to work if they doing maintenance on routers going out to the Internet. Could be wrong but that is just what I figure
Last edited by redmanjp on January 10th, 2019, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » December 31st, 2018, 8:44 pm

Anyone else Internet down?

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 10th, 2019, 10:31 am

Guys, is there a way to connect your smart TV directly to the digicel modem instead of relying on the wireless signal for streaming? Wanted to test a streaming app that was running very very slow while others were streaming fine.

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » January 10th, 2019, 10:41 am

Soul Collector wrote:Guys, is there a way to connect your smart TV directly to the digicel modem instead of relying on the wireless signal for streaming? Wanted to test a streaming app that was running very very slow while others were streaming fine.

smart tv dont have a rj45 lan port ?
lol

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 10th, 2019, 10:46 am

dean_spleen09 wrote:
Soul Collector wrote:Guys, is there a way to connect your smart TV directly to the digicel modem instead of relying on the wireless signal for streaming? Wanted to test a streaming app that was running very very slow while others were streaming fine.

smart tv dont have a rj45 lan port ?
lol

Dude.....give me a bligh here nah....duno what happen lol :|
Thanks tho

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » January 24th, 2019, 1:40 pm

I must say, Digicel's service is improving a lot...

I decided to switch to Digicel because i've been getting problems with my flow connection for some time now and it's a bit of a pain to get a Flow tech on site. I hated that coax connection from the pole to my house as well :|

Signed up for Digicel via their website on Tuesday, got a call Wednesday and a Digicel rep came to my office today and signed me up in less than 5 mins....paid the installation cost of $175 via linx as well. He told me to expect a call within 48 hours to schedule an installation date (Saturday and Sunday included). not bad at all.

blitz83
Street 2NR

Postby blitz83 » January 25th, 2019, 10:37 am

Similar positive experience here with Digicel. Since I switched flow has been calling me non stop to see if I interested in packages. But you can never get thru to them when you're having problems. Make the switch you won't regret it!

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » January 25th, 2019, 11:13 am

Thanks for the feedback so far tuners 8-)

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » January 31st, 2019, 12:58 pm

stev wrote:I must say, Digicel's service is improving a lot...

I decided to switch to Digicel because i've been getting problems with my flow connection for some time now and it's a bit of a pain to get a Flow tech on site. I hated that coax connection from the pole to my house as well :|

Signed up for Digicel via their website on Tuesday, got a call Wednesday and a Digicel rep came to my office today and signed me up in less than 5 mins....paid the installation cost of $175 via linx as well. He told me to expect a call within 48 hours to schedule an installation date (Saturday and Sunday included). not bad at all.

Just an update:

been using Digicel since weekend and I have no idea why i didnt switch earlier....i'm actually getting my 75up / 75 down.
Latency on point too.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » February 6th, 2019, 10:29 am

before the switch over to the new packages you could have upgrade the speed of your internet to a higher speed.

apparently you cant do that again, i chatted with digi agent online yesterday and the no longer offer the upgrade to 350 or the 1000 Mbs. thats so stupid ...

#wtf Digicel

Jinnz
Ricer

Postby Jinnz » February 12th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I'm making a request for those with the Knowledge, plz write a proper guide to use your own router and I don't mean just disabling the wifi on Digi's ONT thus making your router an AP :x , but properly passing the connection thru to use your own router to handle all the other numerous things that mostly all vendors at this point can accomplish that the Digi box can not do.

I Unfortunately have no choice but to switch to Digi from flow :x and would really like to get this working just as I did with flow (1 click modem mode and no issues!).Bless

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 13th, 2019, 8:18 am

Jinnz wrote:I'm making a request for those with the Knowledge, plz write a proper guide to use your own router and I don't mean just disabling the wifi on Digi's ONT thus making your router an AP :x , but properly passing the connection thru to use your own router to handle all the other numerous things that mostly all vendors at this point can accomplish that the Digi box can not do.

I Unfortunately have no choice but to switch to Digi from flow :x and would really like to get this working just as I did with flow (1 click modem mode and no issues!).Bless
Digicel provides a Wifi router/optical modem pair. You can bridge or cascade the Digicel modem connection to your router depending on the type of hardware that you have, what capabilities you want to use and how you want to use the network.

There is a great deal of thorough (and thoroughly confusing to some) writeups available on line.

The router maxes out at about 2.5 Gbit/s download so you may what to start with a router/WAP that will handle that bandwidth.

Jinnz
Ricer

Postby Jinnz » February 13th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Thanks for your input.I tried when Digi first came out at a family members house following different guides found on the web that I pieced together but the page on the ONT was locked down so I did not bother trying as my knowledge is limited as to how it actually supposed to be done
I'm not sure if it's the same Model they have now but it's the one that offered with their Bundle that I'll be getting.This is why I asked if someone who has successfully bridged the Digi ONT please pm me or go brave an write a full guide here cause I'm surely not the only one who just wants dig's box to just pass the signal thru and do nothing else and have your own router do NAT,DHCP,Ports,Schedules etc).Bless

This is the router that I have Synology RT2600
https://www.synology.com/en-global/prod ... 00ac#specs

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 13th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Jinnz wrote:Thanks for your input.I tried when Digi first came out at a family members house following different guides found on the web that I pieced together but the page on the ONT was locked down so I did not bother trying as my knowledge is limited as to how it actually supposed to be done
I'm not sure if it's the same Model they have now but it's the one that offered with their Bundle that I'll be getting.This is why I asked if someone who has successfully bridged the Digi ONT please pm me or go brave an write a full guide here cause I'm surely not the only one who just wants dig's box to just pass the signal thru and do nothing else and have your own router do NAT,DHCP,Ports,Schedules etc).Bless

This is the router that I have Synology RT2600
https://www.synology.com/en-global/prod ... 00ac#specs

You are describing cascading WAN to LAN. You will be creating an additional LAN with your Synology router. The Digicel ONT is still fully functional but you will not connect to it directly.

You must have admin access to both devices.

Here's a fairly straitforward example. Use the second method:

https://www.wikihow.com/Cascade-Routers

Jinnz
Ricer

Postby Jinnz » February 13th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Thanks again but somehow I believe what I'm looking at doing is putting the ONT into bridge mode which I believe is LAN1 on Digi's box and my router doing all the work rather than just adding more ports cause I already have a switch for that.
In any case when they do come for installation I'll see how it goes, but to be honest I don't have much hope as the few people I've talked to just settled for using their own router as an AP which is what I believe cascade does.Bless

lchan485
3NE 2NR for life

Postby lchan485 » February 13th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Jinnz wrote:Thanks again but somehow I believe what I'm looking at doing is putting the ONT into bridge mode which I believe is LAN1 on Digi's box and my router doing all the work rather than just adding more ports cause I already have a switch for that.
In any case when they do come for installation I'll see how it goes, but to be honest I don't have much hope as the few people I've talked to just settled for using their own router as an AP which is what I believe cascade does.Bless
Well let us know how that goes. Seen some people got a Digicel Router that's like what Massy started with that just a ONT to home router. But now Amplia has a Nokia ONT. Really don't know why all these ISP's wanna control even home LAN as well lol.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 13th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Jinnz wrote:Thanks again but somehow I believe what I'm looking at doing is putting the ONT into bridge mode which I believe is LAN1 on Digi's box and my router doing all the work rather than just adding more ports cause I already have a switch for that.

Sorry but you are incorrect. Bridging your router turns it into a switch or WAP. Cascading creates a new network.

You are describing the creation of a subnetwork port and address assignment that is handled by the Digi device... exactly the opposite of what you said you wanted to do.

If you were to use a LAN output (example network 192.168.1.x) from the Digi device as the WAN input to your new router (example network 192.168.2.x) the result would be creating a new network that shares the internet connection from the Digi device.

If you are unsure of how IPv4/IPv6 addressing operates, don't let it bother you; many people don't understand it.

Jinnz
Ricer

Postby Jinnz » February 14th, 2019, 1:43 am

Thanks once again for your clarifications adnj, 8)

I don't know the actual terms/definitions in the networking world and that's not my goal, but rather as I stated in my initial post is to just get my personal router to be the ''Primary'' one.Flow's Arris TG2492LG accomplishes just that with 1 click ''Modem Mode''.The thing is, if you ask Digicel they would say ''sure you can use your own router'' but they will leave out the part that how they want you to do it will put your router into a AP state that is just providing Wifi and not much else.
Now for most users they could not care less as they just want internet :lol: but I'm not one of those unfortunately, :? as I bought a router to handle my specific needs that way outshines what All ISP's here give out.

In the early days of this thread below is what a user said, and it's what I tried to do but the page for those configs was locked down and no matter what else I tried at that time with an AirPort Extreme it would prompt that there is a Double NAT issue and You'll have no option other than to put the Airport into bridge mode.ie.AP (only wifi) and all routing, ports etc had to be done on Digi's box.
on the huawei configure the WAN as a bridge
then hook up your router (should be Gigabit if your Internet is 100Mbps+) to the Modem via the router's WAN port.
Then configure your router's WAN to be PPPoE and put in username and password for your account.

Basically when you do this your router itself gets the WAN ip, performing routing and NAT functions and the Huawei is purely an ONT.

I'm guessing this is similar to what you wrote
if you were to use a LAN output (example network 192.168.1.x) from the Digi device as the WAN input to your new router (example network 192.168.2.x) the result would be creating a new network that shares the internet connection from the Digi device.

All I would like to achieve is to have my set up working just like with Flow's ''1 click Modem Mode'' but as I understand it's supposed to be possible according to the manual but just not as straight forward as Flow yet no one in this thread actually gave a concise walk through on how to do it :roll: and that suggests that most users just settled for the own router to just be a Wifi Box :!:

Here is some of what I found on the net for anyone else who would like to venture since you're basically on your own...Bless
https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/ ... 095-100181
http://nontanus.me/index.php/2016/09/21 ... i-hg8247h/
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/hg8045h ... r/89465/11
https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/ ... 721-100181
https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/ ... 425-100181
https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-d ... 59-hg659b/
Last edited by Jinnz on February 14th, 2019, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 14th, 2019, 7:59 am

Bridge mode will disable the NAT functions of a router. This can be done manually on most routers depending on the interface.

There is a difference between bridge mode and bridging.

Jinnz
Ricer

Postby Jinnz » February 14th, 2019, 10:32 am

Again thanks, but how it's actually done as opposed to terms and definitions would be more than welcomed.Bless

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 14th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Unfortunately if you want to be able to control the connection to Digicel through your secondary router, you cannot. You will still be required to connect through the Digicel router unless there is a compatible modem available and possibly Digicel allows that modem to operate on their network.

If you accept that limitation and are willing to manage the two devices separately, you will have full network control using the secondary router. The link was provided above.

If you run into difficulty as you setup the routers, post here and I will help if possible.

Jinnz
Ricer

Postby Jinnz » February 14th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Thanks, I will post as they suppose to come tomorrow.AFAIK they designate 1 LAN port (LAN1) for internet (supposedly they give you a switch for your hard wired devices), one for TV, 1 for Tele and the other who knows.So based on that I believe what I'm trying to accomplish is to Disable DHCP ,WIFI etc on the Digi box thus making LAN1 somewhat similar to Flow's ''Modem Mode'' and have my router do all the routing, ports,reservation etc for internet uses. I don't think that the TV/TELE ports relies on those things so I don't need to mess with that nor 'control' the Digi box from mine..
I hope this makes more sense since we keep going somewhat in circles maybe due to my insufficient network knowledge.Bless

angelus
Street 2NR

Postby angelus » February 14th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Question to everyone on here digicel vs amplia which is the better option

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 14th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Jinnz wrote:Thanks, I will post as they suppose to come tomorrow.AFAIK they designate 1 LAN port (LAN1) for internet (supposedly they give you a switch for your hard wired devices), one for TV, 1 for Tele and the other who knows.So based on that I believe what I'm trying to accomplish is to Disable DHCP ,WIFI etc on the Digi box thus making LAN1 somewhat similar to Flow's ''Modem Mode'' and have my router do all the routing, ports,reservation etc for internet uses. I don't think that the TV/TELE ports relies on those things so I don't need to mess with that nor 'control' the Digi box from mine..
I hope this makes more sense since we keep going somewhat in circles maybe due to my insufficient network knowledge.Bless
Understood. If you don't have the box in hand it is hard to experiment and even harder to see if it works or not.

angelus
Street 2NR

Postby angelus » February 15th, 2019, 1:47 pm

angelus wrote:Question to everyone on here digicel vs amplia which is the better option
Anyone ? A little help ????

samuel6827
Riding on 13's

Postby samuel6827 » February 17th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Anyone knows the price of installation ?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”