Forums

WTK : Roku devices and T&T Compatibility

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

WTK : Roku devices and T&T Compatibility

Postby Premchand1976 » January 6th, 2015, 2:09 pm

anyone knows the differences in benefits between the Roku1, 2 and 3 models ? I am a bit lost as I am seeing many models on amazon at present ?

Also, can this simply be jacked in to the HDMI port of my LCD TV and I would access the internet apps automatically ?

Is there an annual fee or a one of price when you purchase device ?

Thanks

searchingone
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: WTK : Roku devices and T&T Compatibility

Postby searchingone » January 6th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Different models have different connection options. Also, the newer ones are lots faster.

To fully unlock the potential of these boxes, you would need services like unblock-us which costs $5US per month to give you the most content on Netflix etc. Btw, you have to subscribe to Netflix $8US per month.

If you're looking for freeness, do some research on devices that support XBMC. I'm currently experimenting with Amazon's Fire TV.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 6th, 2015, 3:26 pm

I bought a roku 3 the other day, the unblock dns type stuff no longer work with them
they come with ip addresses hard coded in the box so using a third part dns is of no help
the unblock ppl tell you to put static routes in your router but that is a ratch and many routers do not have that option

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » January 6th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Freeness. Not really. Quality streaming and least issues whilst doing same ( movies freezing, streaming issues etc )

Which device / model would you recommend ?

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » January 6th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Roku 3 is currently the best. I was looking into it recently too. Check their website, it'll answer all you questions.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » January 6th, 2015, 6:09 pm

searchingone wrote:Different models have different connection options. Also, the newer ones are lots faster.

To fully unlock the potential of these boxes, you would need services like unblock-us which costs $5US per month to give you the most content on Netflix etc. Btw, you have to subscribe to Netflix $8US per month.

If you're looking for freeness, do some research on devices that support XBMC. I'm currently experimenting with Amazon's Fire TV.

Which live channels do you get with XBMC? I recently installed it on my pc but was only getting Al jazeera live. All the other channels in the program either had pre-recorded clips or their live streams weren't working.
Is there something I'm missing or need to do to get more channels? I prefer to watch live stuff. Have netflix and other sources for older stuff.

walopelia
Riding on 13's

Postby walopelia » January 6th, 2015, 6:30 pm

You can also check out the Amazon Fire TV Stick. Great device for 40 US.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-Fir ... re+tv+stic

Great device and allows you to manually hardcode your DNS servers, although netflix might eventually be hardcoding Google's DNS Servers into the netflix app itself later on.

Only really advantage with the roku imo is the amount of channels accessible, but the Fire TV can run android apps such as xbmc sideloaded without the need for root. I also have the Roku 2, but it is a bit sluggish so I'd recommend the roku 3 if going for a roku.

jeepers
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Location: Still locating this location that when located it will appear as my location

Postby jeepers » January 6th, 2015, 6:31 pm

im currently sing a roku 2. you are able to get us channels free but the is a proceedure. U need to set up account from specific dns and other setting. its not as easy as puttin in a foreigh dns. Once the us account is set up u get us channels. Roku without us channels makes no sense to me imho.

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » January 6th, 2015, 8:48 pm

do you also need to use a VPN with those android boxes/xbmc to get the full features?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 6th, 2015, 8:59 pm

you will need to put a US address (you can use your skybox address) on your credit card BEFORE you setup your Roku. In the setup you have to use a US address and even if you pay with PayPal they will verify the billing address on your credit card. This is to ensure that you are not outside of the US. If you do not do this you will be limited to what apps you can use on your Roku (Netflix and Hulu Plus) will not even show up.

Roku works great outside of the US once you do this step.

Roku 3 is said to be the best streaming box right now according to gadget review sites like CNET.

searchingone
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby searchingone » January 7th, 2015, 8:32 am

NR8 wrote:
searchingone wrote:Different models have different connection options. Also, the newer ones are lots faster.

Which live channels do you get with XBMC? I recently installed it on my pc but was only getting Al jazeera live. All the other channels in the program either had pre-recorded clips or their live streams weren't working.
Is there something I'm missing or need to do to get more channels? I prefer to watch live stuff. Have netflix and other sources for older stuff.

Premchand1976 wrote:Freeness. Not really. Quality streaming and least issues whilst doing same ( movies freezing, streaming issues etc )

Which device / model would you recommend ?

I currently have the Roku LT 2013 version which I use for nothing but Netflix. Works perfectly for that.

NR8, there are other add-ons for xbmc that you wont find by just browsing on XBMC itself. Have you tried Navi X?

I only got the fire tv this week and haven't had much time to play around yet. After doing research I plan on trying add-ons such as Genesis, iStream, Phoenix etc. Search on youtube for JoeNobody010101 . He has some good tutorials on how to install certain add-ons. I'll try them some time this week and get back to you.

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » January 7th, 2015, 12:28 pm

thanks

LOUD AND CLEAR AUDIO
Sweet on this forum

Postby LOUD AND CLEAR AUDIO » January 7th, 2015, 10:02 pm

what price Roku 3 sells for locally ?

renegade_wolf
Street 2NR

Postby renegade_wolf » March 20th, 2015, 6:59 pm

LOUD AND CLEAR AUDIO wrote:what price Roku 3 sells for locally ?

X2

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » March 20th, 2015, 7:38 pm

in for more info

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » March 20th, 2015, 8:09 pm

LOUD AND CLEAR AUDIO wrote:what price Roku 3 sells for locally ?

Only place I've seen it locally was at Radioshack last Christmas for around $1100 but I'm not sure if that was the 3. Best to just buy it online as it's often discounted on Amazon and Ebay.

ModMania
Trinituner Peong

Postby ModMania » March 20th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:you will need to put a US address (you can use your skybox address) on your credit card BEFORE you setup your Roku. In the setup you have to use a US address and even if you pay with PayPal they will verify the billing address on your credit card. This is to ensure that you are not outside of the US. If you do not do this you will be limited to what apps you can use on your Roku (Netflix and Hulu Plus) will not even show up.

Roku 3 is said to be the best streaming box right now according to gadget review sites like CNET.

I think during the registration u need to use a vpn aswell ...could be wrong

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 20th, 2015, 8:41 pm

ModMania wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:you will need to put a US address (you can use your skybox address) on your credit card BEFORE you setup your Roku. In the setup you have to use a US address and even if you pay with PayPal they will verify the billing address on your credit card. This is to ensure that you are not outside of the US. If you do not do this you will be limited to what apps you can use on your Roku (Netflix and Hulu Plus) will not even show up.

I think during the registration u need to use a vpn aswell ...could be wrong
correct. From the very start you need to have unbblockus.com or smartdnsproxy.com or similar installed properly before you do anything.

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » July 6th, 2015, 6:38 am

Just want to get this clear: I can currently access (and only really use) US Netflix and Amazon Prime on my home network. Will I be able to access them on a Roku 3 if I don't have a US address on my credit card?

I use a Republic VTM card...what's the process for getting my address changed to my Skybox address?

Computerman
Riding on 18's

Postby Computerman » July 6th, 2015, 11:22 am

I've been using the 2nd Gen ROKU 3 for the past 4 months with HMA VPN service. I have absolutely no complaints! I can watch almost anything you can think of (via paid subscription to content providers e.g. Netflix, HULU, A-Prime etc.) at my convenience! Screw cable! Content on demand is the way to go! :!:

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Re: RE: Re: WTK : Roku devices and T&T Compatibility

Postby Premchand1976 » November 7th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Duane, finally I'm ready to do this.....lol. roku 3 been lying in the tv unit drawer a year almost and I almost threw it out while cleaning. Can you inbox me details on setting up or I can message u tmrw via whatsapp ?

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » September 5th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Trying to set up a Roku stick, i only get Netflix to work. I do have a vpn applied to my router, but just read this about setting up the roku with a US address, because i am trying to get Sling and some other things to work that need the US geo location.

So i have to reset the stick and set up a new account like what's mentioned above?

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » September 6th, 2017, 9:42 am

PapaC wrote:Trying to set up a Roku stick, i only get Netflix to work. I do have a vpn applied to my router, but just read this about setting up the roku with a US address, because i am trying to get Sling and some other things to work that need the US geo location.

So i have to reset the stick and set up a new account like what's mentioned above?

Yes basically, start all over. I bought a Roku and Firestick last year and honestly the Roku was too much work sold it and just rock with my Firestick no VPN headache just me and my Kodi, Netflix and Youtube all I need.

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » November 27th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Darn, really should have looked up this thread before.
Just bought a Roku tv. Are persons still able to access services like sling TV and other channels by following the instructions in this thread (Us address on CC and VPN)?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 27th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Nexus wrote:Darn, really should have looked up this thread before.
Just bought a Roku tv. Are persons still able to access services like sling TV and other channels by following the instructions in this thread (Us address on CC and VPN)?

yes I still use my Roku alot.
VPN is absolutely needed to activate, then it is only needed for accessing some channels that require you to be in the US like Hulu, ABC etc

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » November 28th, 2017, 5:44 am

Ok cool, thanks. Will give it a go
Ever use sling TV? Thinking that with the sports ad on and I good

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » November 28th, 2017, 7:49 am

Sling is the truth.

Trinifisher
Street 2NR

Postby Trinifisher » November 30th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

VPN is absolutely needed to activate, then it is only needed for accessing some channels that require you to be in the US like Hulu, ABC etc

Any suggestions for a VPN that works with Roku and Netflix? Got a Roku Express this week, a partner pickup three in de Thanksgiving rush, and now trying to figure out how to work it.

riche
Street 2NR

Postby riche » November 30th, 2017, 8:07 pm

I have a TCL tv with Roku works fine with all channels

Steps:

Get CC with US Address eg, Skybox address
2. Sign up for Unblock US,
3, Input the IP addresses from unblock us in your router
3, Change location to US location on unblock us website
4. Create Roku Account inputting US address
5. Pair with your device,

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » November 30th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Trinifisher wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

Any suggestions for a VPN that works with Roku and Netflix? Got a Roku Express this week, a partner pickup three in de Thanksgiving rush, and now trying to figure out how to work it.

Netflix is worldwide now. No need for vpn and us ip adress and ting. Just get your Netflix subscription and u good to go. You can even try out the 30 day free Netflix as a new subscriber before committing any $$$$$

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”