Merchants charging customers cc fees

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Merchants charging customers cc fees

Postby 3stagevtec » February 21st, 2015, 12:36 am

Morpheus wrote:Very good thread...

x2.. Good info to note.. Was refused once because my purchase value was too low and I didn't have cash on me. Will deal with them appropriately from now on

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » February 21st, 2015, 5:04 am

Advent
Riding on 17's

Postby Advent » February 21st, 2015, 6:34 am

Thanks Francis

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 21st, 2015, 6:35 am

if anyone here works in the bank you should ask the PR section to do some advertisements in the newspapers about this issue

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 21st, 2015, 6:38 am

what about those places that have the machine for only linx transactions but doesnt accept CC payments....in the agreement they sign for the use of the machine, does it make it mandatory for them to accept any payment i choose to use?

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » February 21st, 2015, 10:00 am

X_Factor wrote:what about those places that have the machine for only linx transactions but doesnt accept CC payments....in the agreement they sign for the use of the machine, does it make it mandatory for them to accept any payment i choose to use?

No it doesn't, when I first had my LINX machine It couldn't accept CC.

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » February 21st, 2015, 3:01 pm

X_Factor wrote:did that a couple times reporting a couple places and nothing seemed to come out of it as they still do it....
it seems as an old 1900's way of doing business...

but at the end of the day, if the merchant rather loss a sale -- 3% which is 3$ on every 100.00
than make their 25-30% mark up( more in most cases) on an item if it was purchased...doesnt seem like good business sense so i just visit pricemart,massy, farfan, etc and the other regional/international companies that actually want the business...

I do a fair amount of credit card transactions a day...when a sale is very large I usually ask the customer if they can pay with linx/personal cheque or cash. If they can't...I take their CC , swipe the card and Thank God for the business.

You usually only find the grimey merchants doing this.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 21st, 2015, 6:15 pm

Linx and cc are not mandatory together
you can setup a linx on accepting system.

X_Factor wrote:what about those places that have the machine for only linx transactions but doesnt accept CC payments....in the agreement they sign for the use of the machine, does it make it mandatory for them to accept any payment i choose to use?

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 21st, 2015, 7:02 pm

crazychinee wrote:
X_Factor wrote:did that a couple times reporting a couple places and nothing seemed to come out of it as they still do it....
it seems as an old 1900's way of doing business...

but at the end of the day, if the merchant rather loss a sale -- 3% which is 3$ on every 100.00
than make their 25-30% mark up( more in most cases) on an item if it was purchased...doesnt seem like good business sense so i just visit pricemart,massy, farfan, etc and the other regional/international companies that actually want the business...

I do a fair amount of credit card transactions a day...when a sale is very large I usually ask the customer if they can pay with linx/personal cheque or cash. If they can't...I take their CC , swipe the card and Thank God for the business.

You usually only find the grimey merchants doing this.

ent, in this day and age with soooo much competition and shopping online
cut ur 3% loss and make ur 30% or more profit yes!!

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » February 21st, 2015, 9:33 pm

And then they playing advertisements begging citizens to buy local lol

kjaglal76v2
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kjaglal76v2 » February 21st, 2015, 10:08 pm

well doh buy

shottah_crew
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby shottah_crew » February 22nd, 2015, 12:37 am

I heard of one major local distributor who tried to add on additional charges when a local store owner tried to pay for an order with the business credit card and threatened to take away their discount if it happened again. He got in contact with his bank, who happens to be the same bank as the distributor, and asked if the distributor could just do this. The bank told him it's wrong and they will have to speak to the distributor about the practice, but also it was unlikely the bank would do anything to jeopardize the distributor's business with them.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 22nd, 2015, 12:55 am

a certain supermarket opposite uwi tried that on me around xmas time 2013
went to buy a couple cases of beer, and alco...bill was 1500$ they wanted to add 3% on the bill if i was to pay with CC,
i simply said keep it and told them i'll go to pricemart

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » February 22nd, 2015, 3:47 am

Trust me every single store in sangre grande that has this rare machine (i say rare cuz in grande it fkin is,) say they will have to add on the extra 3 or 5 percent .... its sickening

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » February 22nd, 2015, 3:48 am

Trust me every single store in sangre grande that has this rare machine (i say rare cuz in grande it fkin is,) say they will have to add on the extra 3 or 5 percent .... its sickening

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » February 22nd, 2015, 10:04 am

pete wrote:
[X]~Outlaw wrote:
pete wrote:Would you rather they not accept credit cards at all?

Good example of why we will always get second rate service/get taken advantage of locally.

Not at all. There are two ways companies can deal with this service charge by the banks. First is charge the customer the 3% the bank is charging them and they maintain their profit margin.

The other way is mark up their prices across the board by 3% and if someone pays in cash or with linx they make an extra 3%. Problem with doing that is their prices may then become unattractive and people will go somewhere else.

You have to remember that a skybox service is only making money (or supposed to be) on the shipping alone. So if you bring in a 2lb box of a product valued at $500 USD and the Duty and VAT may come up to say 200USD. All they might be getting is $120 for shipping then the 3% the bank is charging on $1500 is a whopping $45. How can they absorb that cost?

To be honest, the only people taking advantage of anyone in this situation is the banks.

that is why the billboard saying 'T&T banks are PREDATORS IN PARADISE ' is so true.
that being said...these very merchants are responsible in part for above scenario....and throwing consumers under the bus by trying to impose minimums & 'no-creditcard' conditions only serve to enable these said banks to fleece merchants & customers both in one shot.
Remember customers PAY CREDITCARD FEES to the banks...& these same banks then turn around & charge fees to merchants for machine rental & a % of each sale.....banks get a TRIPLE benefit whilst shafting merchant & consumer alike.
The consumer public (merchants/customers) should get together & force banks to supply the machines free of charge AND reduce the % onerous fees on sales.
Dem mudders only taking 'free' money from everybody who working blood, sweat & tears....& pretending it's a service they offer....
talk about getting 'a soft one'...........

orangefox
Riding on 16's

Postby orangefox » February 22nd, 2015, 10:53 am

Sabriel wrote:Even food places in food courts not even accepting linx/cc..cash only...but they never have change for $100..

Well make your own food .. please go to my " Sandwiches in 15 mins " ched.

Thank you ... Thank you very much. *Elvis voice*

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » February 22nd, 2015, 10:55 am

Stop trolling

orangefox
Riding on 16's

Postby orangefox » February 22nd, 2015, 11:08 am

SR wrote:Stop trolling

What is your contribution SR ?

Sweetness upset. Either make your own food or move with small change in Food Courts etc.
Why you upset with my contribution ?
Last edited by orangefox on February 22nd, 2015, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » February 22nd, 2015, 11:09 am

You obviously have nothing to contribute to the topic so stop trolling last warning

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » February 22nd, 2015, 11:25 am

link wrote:
pete wrote:
[X]~Outlaw wrote:

Good example of why we will always get second rate service/get taken advantage of locally.

Not at all. There are two ways companies can deal with this service charge by the banks. First is charge the customer the 3% the bank is charging them and they maintain their profit margin.

The other way is mark up their prices across the board by 3% and if someone pays in cash or with linx they make an extra 3%. Problem with doing that is their prices may then become unattractive and people will go somewhere else.

You have to remember that a skybox service is only making money (or supposed to be) on the shipping alone. So if you bring in a 2lb box of a product valued at $500 USD and the Duty and VAT may come up to say 200USD. All they might be getting is $120 for shipping then the 3% the bank is charging on $1500 is a whopping $45. How can they absorb that cost?

To be honest, the only people taking advantage of anyone in this situation is the banks.

that is why the billboard saying 'T&T banks are PREDATORS IN PARADISE ' is so true.
that being said...these very merchants are responsible in part for above scenario....and throwing consumers under the bus by trying to impose minimums & 'no-creditcard' conditions only serve to enable these said banks to fleece merchants & customers both in one shot.
Remember customers PAY CREDITCARD FEES to the banks...& these same banks then turn around & charge fees to merchants for machine rental & a % of each sale.....banks get a TRIPLE benefit whilst shafting merchant & consumer alike.
The consumer public (merchants/customers) should get together & force banks to supply the machines free of charge AND reduce the % onerous fees on sales.
Dem mudders only taking 'free' money from everybody who working blood, sweat & tears....& pretending it's a service they offer....

This is correct, during my last negotiation with my bank, I needed 3 machines

Option 1 - Machine Type 1 - Dial-up - $300.00 per month each
Option 2 - Machine Type 2 - LAN(POS) - $500.00 per month each
Option 3 - Machine Type 3 - WIFI/Wireless - $600.00 per month each

With regards to CC charges there was no adjustment to them, pointing out that 4% is the lowest they will go (so I opted out of taking this again).

With the amount of charges banks impose they can more than offer the verifone machines free. Every swipe they make sure and take a cut.

Also the onus is on the Merchant to prevent CC fraud, as the bank when investigating uses every trick to pin the fault on the merchant, I actually have a client that now writes your DP/ID number on the slip after an experience with the bank.

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » February 22nd, 2015, 12:49 pm

Since when overhead/operational costs are transferred to customers?

urabus
Sweet on this forum

Postby urabus » February 22nd, 2015, 1:08 pm

Made a purchase at a pharmacy some days right after i obtained my cc....the cashier told me because it was either under $10 or $20 (memory fails me atm), I couldn't use the cc. I didn't have cash so I just left. Never called the bank to find out if this was accurate or not, just took her word for it.

At this same pharmacy again, went to purchase a digicel phone card...my cc was again refused. Only cash payments the cashier said for phone cards.

I know most merchants in the indian fairs would charge you the 3% onto the cost of your item if you use Linx.

Good thread, with good info.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 22nd, 2015, 1:26 pm

pioneer wrote:Since when overhead/operational costs are transferred to customers?

all costs are transferred to the customer

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » February 22nd, 2015, 1:46 pm

One thing you forget to state

Credit card owners benefit from the 4% charges to merchants since most cards have a rewards program where the banks return approximately 1% of the purchase to the credit card holder via points, cash back, etc.
link wrote:
pete wrote:
[X]~Outlaw wrote:

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » February 22nd, 2015, 4:31 pm

urabus wrote:Made a purchase at a pharmacy some days right after i obtained my cc....the cashier told me because it was either under $10 or $20 (memory fails me atm), I couldn't use the cc. I didn't have cash so I just left. Never called the bank to find out if this was accurate or not, just took her word for it.

At this same pharmacy again, went to purchase a digicel phone card...my cc was again refused. Only cash payments the cashier said for phone cards.

I know most merchants in the indian fairs would charge you the 3% onto the cost of your item if you use Linx.

Good thread, with good info.

The profit margin on Digicel cards are 3% the CC charge to the bank is 4%. When I proved this to Scotia they are still speechless as to what to do.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » February 23rd, 2015, 4:23 pm

Am I the only one here that thinks the banks are at fault? The following is my logic.

- The use of CC facilities cost money (for the machine, processing and maintaining staff and offices to keep it all up and running)
- Using a CC for a small purchase or a large purchase requires the same resources in almost all cases
- So why not charge a flat rate like $5 per POS transaction over $100 and a percentage for transactions below that value or something.

I think the % of sale is robbery. Especially with the Skybox and Digicel examples. IDK, I may be talking crap. I just don't like banks.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 23rd, 2015, 4:33 pm

yeah them banks robbing people endlessly

but i not sure if the banks themselves are charged a certain fee by visa for processing transactions

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » February 23rd, 2015, 5:25 pm

Yes banks are charged a fee by VISA and MC

http://www.mastercard.com/uk/merchant/e ... index.html

We don't know the charges from bank to server

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » February 23rd, 2015, 5:32 pm

src1983 wrote:
link wrote:
pete wrote:
[X]~Outlaw wrote:

This is correct, during my last negotiation with my bank, I needed 3 machines

Option 1 - Machine Type 1 - Dial-up - $300.00 per month each
Option 2 - Machine Type 2 - LAN(POS) - $500.00 per month each
Option 3 - Machine Type 3 - WIFI/Wireless - $600.00 per month each

With regards to CC charges there was no adjustment to them, pointing out that 4% is the lowest they will go (so I opted out of taking this again).

With the amount of charges banks impose they can more than offer the verifone machines free. Every swipe they make sure and take a cut.

Also the onus is on the Merchant to prevent CC fraud, as the bank when investigating uses every trick to pin the fault on the merchant, I actually have a client that now writes your DP/ID number on the slip after an experience with the bank.

You can actually get in trouble for that too. Merchants are not allowed to copy or write down ID information on slips.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”