Forums

COSTATT

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kerwinishere
3NE2NR is my LIFE

COSTATT

Postby kerwinishere » June 2nd, 2015, 11:00 am

Need some advice/reviews regarding tertiary education. Which of the local institutes have the best IT programs? And what are your views on costatt

Advent
Riding on 17's

Re: COSTATT

Postby Advent » June 2nd, 2015, 11:08 am

check the uwi thread bro good info there

smithmj678
Street 2NR

Postby smithmj678 » June 2nd, 2015, 11:31 am

ROYTEC seems to have the best BSc in IT locally.

Then UOL CIS is best for foreign degree.

UTT has Computer Engineering, it is not IT, UWI has IT but its more computer science than anything.

uncle sam
punchin NOS

Postby uncle sam » June 2nd, 2015, 11:45 am

COSTAATT's IT degree is good. UWI is better tho. Use to lecture in costaatt part time. Could get pretty intense

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » June 2nd, 2015, 12:09 pm

nick639 wrote:ROYTEC u say?? , Negative

OP it have a thread running right now bout IT and Computer Science degrees, search it...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=630143

smithmj678
Street 2NR

Postby smithmj678 » June 2nd, 2015, 12:09 pm

^ Isn't ROYTEC part of UWI? I looked at the curriculum their ASc also exempts you from credits in the UWI's BSc in Computer Science.

No other degree in the country has this ability.

kerwinishere
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kerwinishere » June 2nd, 2015, 12:27 pm

Thanks for all your responses. Greatly appreciated

smithmj678
Street 2NR

Postby smithmj678 » June 2nd, 2015, 4:21 pm

nick639 wrote:
smithmj678 wrote:^ Isn't ROYTEC part of UWI? I looked at the curriculum their ASc also exempts you from credits in the UWI's BSc in Computer Science.

No other degree in the country has this ability.

Roytec is UWI "Open Campus", take it from me who passed through the Open Campus, it is sheit. ( you get to rock a jersey with a premature uwi logo, thats about it, once i completed a first year i realized this school is as close to uwi as a normal college edu)

I would never recommend anyone passing through any open campus *certificate* *diploma* or anything of that matter.

The subjects you are exempted from are minor 1, maybe a 2 credit course, and they are easy as fk, best you do normal Alevel then go into Uwi and try ure hand at those easy courses to boost GPA scores.

Thanks sir, this information is much appreciated.

Do you know if UWI teaches A levels? if not is there anywhere that teaches it part time?

smithmj678
Street 2NR

Postby smithmj678 » June 2nd, 2015, 5:17 pm

^ do you think at the age of 30 its even worth it to go back and do A levels then to get into UWI?
I have my doubts about that.

Or should I simply just finish off the final BSc IT year in SAM or SBCS? which sounds like a much better bet, admittedly its nowhere near as good as say a Computer Science Degree due to the maths Comp Sci offers.

Might be best I just finish off my IT degree and call that george. For all we know the end result in employment would be identical for both degrees seeing that trini employers cannot even tell the difference between computer science and information technology. Whatever maths I need to know for programming I could probably just do some personal lessons online with youtube etc.

smithmj678
Street 2NR

Postby smithmj678 » June 2nd, 2015, 5:30 pm

^ yeah I will finish off my Bsc in IT because with my Associates it will only take 1 year to get the Bsc.

Would be pretty cool if I could have learned all the maths on youtube, then get into to UWI to do Comp Sci. You know like maybe if they offered an exam that you had to pass and they would take you without the A levels?

That actually would be pretty sweet. But highly doubt that is how UWI works. LOL or if UWI was slack as UTT and took anyone without qualifications.

But yeah will stick to this and see where it takes me. In my experience I have hardly ever had to use anything more than elementary school maths for most of the programming I have done so far. High level programming almost never requires true computer science skills. Computer Science however would be pretty useful if you are building an operating system like windows though.

But with C# and JAVA these run on virtual machines, and requires no memory management on your part. Which is why C is the main language they teach in Computer Science in UWI. Its pretty low level programming. Its true Computer Science in UWI is for hardcore nerds, but wonders how many companies locally can even utilize those skills. More often you end up in regular IT jobs that don't need it but you end up taking what you get because nothing else is available.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”