this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

BRZ
Riding on 16's

600 lose jobs at Arcelor Mital

Postby BRZ » December 7th, 2015, 7:13 pm

:shock:
Damn that's hard at this time of year.
Recession time, buckle down, don't spend wild.

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: 600 lose jobs at Arcelor Mital

Postby sMASH » December 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Link to article/report?

Advent
Riding on 17's

Postby Advent » December 7th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Gov contract workers are being let go , also slumberJ is releasing 10,000 people as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 7th, 2015, 7:38 pm

The reality is steel prices arond the world low last couple years
So low even the big scrap iron industry here has collapsed

Did the scrap iron folks complain about loss of jobs ?

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » December 7th, 2015, 7:48 pm

The reality is that Oil and Gas prices are the lowest ever in recent times and unless something drastic happens it seems cheap oil is here to stay.

1. OPEC isn't cutting supply
2. China's demand declining (or at least not increasing as projected)
3. Climate change push toward non oil-based energy is being more readily adopted worldwide
4. Tesla and others are disrupting this traditional market, may not have immediate impacts but 5-10 years down the line you'll see paramount shifts in many markets

Things look a bit bleak for Trinidad especially with the heavy projected borrowing by this PNM in combination with reduced VAT and IT. I'm no economist, but it seems PNM is digging us into a hole that will inevitably lead to a huge reduction in purchasing power in the near future.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 7th, 2015, 8:31 pm

Advent wrote:Gov contract workers are being let go , also slumberJ is releasing 10,000 people as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only non supporters of the present government will most likely be released.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 7th, 2015, 8:51 pm

That maybe, but more would have to cut eventually.
Truth is, we just have over supply in everything. The market will remain a buyer's market for a long time, possibly Decades. Borrowing can only work short term if there is feasibility to repay it soon. With reduced foreign currency reserves, and an increasing unemployed sector, we don't need to borrow s lot if money.

Well I guess the answer to the traffic situation is to stop people from going into PoS after all,,, by laying them off.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 7th, 2015, 8:52 pm

I worked at the time when it was ISPATT in the early 1990s which is basically the the same owner now.
At that time there was some 800 to 1000 workers and they made millions. Over the years they cut staff, starting with contractors and long term useless workers that was there the early 1980s. The unions to which I was an active member was totally useless and really served as an under ground PNM party group that licked ISPATT bosses butts.
This is not the first batch of workers to be let go there was a batch let go about 7 years ago, many that I knew.
I always told men don't hang their hats there, but men blood get sweet. So it's really sad for those workers. Most of the men they let go are real workers that have pride and know their trade, the unless ones were cut years ago.
I am sure this Government and the Union was informed all about this move and choose to say nothing about it.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 7th, 2015, 8:58 pm

sMASH wrote:Link to article/report?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151207 ... s-laid-off

Christmas calamity: 600 steel workers laid off

Published on Dec 7, 2015, 3:57 pm AST
By Sandhya Santoo

SOME 600 workers of Point Lisas steel manufacturing company ArcelorMittal were told today that they no longer had a job.

A month after the company stopped steel production citing global and local economic condition, it informed the representative Steel Workers Union of Trinidad and Tobago, and the workers would be laid off.

ArcelorMittal, a leading steel and mining company operating in 60 countries, has laid off workers at others international plants over the last year, as a result of depressed steel prices.

In a press release, the company said: “Following the inability to reach agreement with the Steel Workers Union of Trinidad and Tobago (SWUTT) on a proposal from the management of ArcelorMittal Point Lisas for workers with accrued vacation days to proceed on paid vacation, while workers who do not have vacation leave to engage in alternative functions on a temporary basis outside of their normal duties, the Company has had no option but to begin a process of laying-off workers”.

The company said: “Aware and conscious of the Christmas season and in the spirit of goodwill and the need of workers to be in a position to take care of their families, ArcelorMittal Point Lisas has undertaken the responsibility to provide the workers with some financial assistance as has been done on occasions in the past. Management of ArcelorMittal Point Lisas is also offering staff members the opportunity to encash a limited amount of accrued vacation entitlement.

At a meeting last Friday, company officials told the union that it was impossible for to keep workers on the plant over a protracted period without having work for employees to perform.

“At a meeting with the Union today the Company communicated its decision to lay off employees. The Company also informed the Union of its preference for employees to proceed on vacation as proposed and left the door open in this regard”.

On November 4, ArcelorMittal Point announced that because of over-supply of steel in the international market and the drying up of orders for its Direct Reduced Iron and steel products produced at the Pt. Lisas plant, it had to shut down operations temporarily.

According to ArcelorMittal, the global steel industry is experiencing its worst recession in 10 years, comparable to that experienced in the early 1990s.

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » December 7th, 2015, 9:37 pm

men will still find money to go fete and buy clothes ...for all dem party about to start ... for carnival .. we not in recession .... daz jus ah talk ...

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » December 7th, 2015, 9:53 pm

i dunno how UNCs are blaming Rowley for this.

UNCs, and de UNC/Kams crew lke UML, rfari, zoom, need to learn some economics.

even in boom periods, there are/can be job losses. Neither UNC/PNM can control the world steel industry.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » December 7th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Daran wrote:The reality is that Oil and Gas prices are the lowest ever in recent times and unless something drastic happens it seems cheap oil is here to stay.

1. OPEC isn't cutting supply
2. China's demand declining (or at least not increasing as projected)
3. Climate change push toward non oil-based energy is being more readily adopted worldwide
4. Tesla and others are disrupting this traditional market, may not have immediate impacts but 5-10 years down the line you'll see paramount shifts in many markets

Things look a bit bleak for Trinidad especially with the heavy projected borrowing by this PNM in combination with reduced VAT and IT. I'm no economist, but it seems PNM is digging us into a hole that will inevitably lead to a huge reduction in purchasing power in the near future.

Dunno how Kams is absolved of any responsibility. Oil prices fell when she was in office. GDP fell in she time in office, and there was no diversification at all. Economic effects take time to register, and very little can change in three months.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 7th, 2015, 10:14 pm

desifemlove wrote:i dunno how UNCs are blaming Rowley for this.

even in boom periods, there are/can be job losses. Neither UNC/PNM can control the world steel industry.

You ever work a day in your life in heavy industry ?

Its upon the employee to seek his own survival, no job is secure and there is not such thing as a faithful employer.

I have never depended on no government or employer to chart my way. I have always moved from job to job and at each stage with a bigger pay packet. I got a year again and then its a very early retirement for me.

That's my economics and I urge others to follow

pjfred
Trinituner Peong

Postby pjfred » December 7th, 2015, 10:21 pm

A bunch of fowl fackers to believe it was a government that cause this. It's us, the population of t&t did this. So small minded to conduct by race but not by your own future. Corruption must prevail.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » December 7th, 2015, 10:24 pm

so you have good financial management...cool for you, eh? thing is to link how a big global industry operates to a PM in a small country is bull. these job losses are part of this firm's global retrenchment, little else. I only responding in dis thread cos it funny to see de UNCs and them cite economic illiteracy.

the general trend is dis is symptomatic of a bad PNM econonmic management...no lol. http://www.meps.co.uk/World%20Carbon%20Price.htm leh Dr. Keith tek the blame, cos UNCs tink he should.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 7th, 2015, 10:29 pm

10-01 wrote:men will still find money to go fete and buy clothes ...for all dem party about to start ... for carnival .. we not in recession .... daz jus ah talk ...

Expecting it, so I ordered some security camera systems.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 7th, 2015, 10:31 pm

desifemlove wrote:i dunno how UNCs are blaming Rowley for this.

In what universe is rfari part of UNC?

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » December 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
sMASH wrote:Link to article/report?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151207 ... s-laid-off

Christmas calamity: 600 steel workers laid off

Published on Dec 7, 2015, 3:57 pm AST
By Sandhya Santoo

SOME 600 workers of Point Lisas steel manufacturing company ArcelorMittal were told today that they no longer had a job.

A month after the company stopped steel production citing global and local economic condition, it informed the representative Steel Workers Union of Trinidad and Tobago, and the workers would be laid off.

ArcelorMittal, a leading steel and mining company operating in 60 countries, has laid off workers at others international plants over the last year, as a result of depressed steel prices.

In a press release, the company said: “Following the inability to reach agreement with the Steel Workers Union of Trinidad and Tobago (SWUTT) on a proposal from the management of ArcelorMittal Point Lisas for workers with accrued vacation days to proceed on paid vacation, while workers who do not have vacation leave to engage in alternative functions on a temporary basis outside of their normal duties, the Company has had no option but to begin a process of laying-off workers”.

The company said: “Aware and conscious of the Christmas season and in the spirit of goodwill and the need of workers to be in a position to take care of their families, ArcelorMittal Point Lisas has undertaken the responsibility to provide the workers with some financial assistance as has been done on occasions in the past. Management of ArcelorMittal Point Lisas is also offering staff members the opportunity to encash a limited amount of accrued vacation entitlement.

At a meeting last Friday, company officials told the union that it was impossible for to keep workers on the plant over a protracted period without having work for employees to perform.

“At a meeting with the Union today the Company communicated its decision to lay off employees. The Company also informed the Union of its preference for employees to proceed on vacation as proposed and left the door open in this regard”.

On November 4, ArcelorMittal Point announced that because of over-supply of steel in the international market and the drying up of orders for its Direct Reduced Iron and steel products produced at the Pt. Lisas plant, it had to shut down operations temporarily.

According to ArcelorMittal, the global steel industry is experiencing its worst recession in 10 years, comparable to that experienced in the early 1990s.

so can't some of these workers from their own collective agreements? what was so major dat the union had to stick?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 7th, 2015, 10:42 pm

desifemlove wrote:so you have good financial management...cool for you, eh? thing is to link how a big global industry operates to a PM in a small country is bull. these job losses are part of this firm's global retrenchment, little else. I only responding in dis thread cos it funny to see de UNCs and them cite economic illiteracy.

the general trend is dis is symptomatic of a bad PNM econonmic management...no lol. http://www.meps.co.uk/World%20Carbon%20Price.htm leh Dr. Keith tek the blame, cos UNCs tink he should.

If you did not know it was first ISCOTT an all owned PNM government steel plant, built with tax payers money.
That went bust in the mid 1980s and then it was leased by NAR to ISPATT that made huge profits that leaped frogged Mittal to where he is today. Its was the Trinidad Plant that part built his fortune with cheap Trini labour and a weak trade union.
Mittal later brought the Plant lock stock and barrel in the mid 1990s

So in reality it was the PNM and the lazy workforce that bust ISCOTT . There was always a market for steel.

There is also one other Iron plant in Pt Lisas and they to my knowledge are still up and running with no Job cuts. This plant normally ships its good workers abroad to other plants to work.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 7th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Good thing life short yes, imagine how fcked the world will be when population reaches 15 billion in a few decades from now. And with every company executive looking to reduce the workforce, replace humans with machines, deforestation and total wrecking of the climate can you imagine just how fcked up the world will be in a few decades from now? all them people and no jobs. Yikes!

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » December 7th, 2015, 10:49 pm

So he had almost 20 years to fix it up.......what gives? Fact is he's cutting jobs all over, as well as his competitors. to link this to some CHambers or Dr. Eric ting long ago, doh mek sense. Global steel is in meltdown...pun intended, and nothing Rowley or Kams can do.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » December 7th, 2015, 10:49 pm

Truth be told this is nothing new for me I know of contract workers who are accustomed to being off for months at a time and they turned to small business to supplement their incomes one in particular worked in the market at her father's stall, and she said thet her sister was working at Mittal and that layoffs were coming, with that in mind she told her sister that they would expand the stall.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » December 7th, 2015, 10:50 pm

I guess if they have a skill they could start a more labour intensive less capital intensive business.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 7th, 2015, 10:56 pm

Numb3r4 wrote:I guess if they have a skill they could start a more labour intensive less capital intensive business.

That is advice I always give out. Its just that some men blood get sweet and think they in a life long job.

The only life long Job are the undertakers, no striking there.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » December 8th, 2015, 4:33 am

sMASH wrote:
10-01 wrote:men will still find money to go fete and buy clothes ...for all dem party about to start ... for carnival .. we not in recession .... daz jus ah talk ...

Expecting it, so I bought a plane ticket .

Yeah me too

BRZ
Riding on 16's

Postby BRZ » December 8th, 2015, 7:15 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Good thing life short yes, imagine how fcked the world will be when population reaches 15 billion in a few decades from now. And with every company executive looking to reduce the workforce, replace humans with machines, deforestation and total wrecking of the climate can you imagine just how fcked up the world will be in a few decades from now? all them people and no jobs. Yikes!

MAchines only need to push a button START/ STOP and have proper maintenance, its so much more viable that TRYING to get young people to work.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » December 8th, 2015, 8:29 am

Hate to be that guy, but I am happy that they don't have to go back to that stinking death trap. If your health does not fail or you don't get injured, your car will rust to shite in no time. I was posted there for two weeks. Told HSSE at my company that I will not be going back and they found a replacement. Lost overtime and other site allowances, but it was worth it.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » December 8th, 2015, 8:35 am

RBphoto wrote:Hate to be that guy, but I am happy that they don't have to go back to that stinking death trap. If your health does not fail or you don't get injured, your car will rust to shite in no time. I was posted there for two weeks. Told HSSE at my company that I will not be going back and they found a replacement. Lost overtime and other site allowances, but it was worth it.

all jobs have hazards... depending on the type as well steel mill is no exception, hence the allowances.

up to the individual to accept

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » December 8th, 2015, 8:59 am

Some one indicate how the GORTT is able to prevent Mittal from hiring and firing as they see fit.

On one hand we happy that we had Ispat here to run the plant and keep people employed...cuz the GORTT ballz it up. Yay free market,globalization,etc etc etc.

Now globalization giving China the same access to the same markets as us and China dumping steel we feeling the hurt...the GORTT is still responsible????

At what point do we take individual responsibility for our lives.....
How many of that 600 looked at preparing themselves for the other side of the economic cycle???

WTI cut in half over a year now....like us as individuals, the entire country has to adjust to new income levels.

no Party or govt can avoid this.

Preparation on an individual level is what was needed.

Im sorry for those that lost jobs ...but in this day and age you cannot say that any one didnt know this was coming.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » December 8th, 2015, 9:02 am

tr1ad wrote:
RBphoto wrote:Hate to be that guy, but I am happy that they don't have to go back to that stinking death trap. If your health does not fail or you don't get injured, your car will rust to shite in no time. I was posted there for two weeks. Told HSSE at my company that I will not be going back and they found a replacement. Lost overtime and other site allowances, but it was worth it.

all jobs have hazards... depending on the type as well steel mill is no exception, hence the allowances.

up to the individual to accept

I have worked on Trinmar, Repsol, EOG, BPTT and BGTT production platforms.. All have similar processes and equipment from the same manufacturers and serviced by the same local providers. Yet, I can say that on some of those rigs I felt as safe as at home (or even safer) while on others I always kept a life jacket on. HSSE culture, hygiene and managing and mitigating risk and environmental responsibility can make the same plant more or less hazardous or facilitate a safe and healthy work environment. Mital is severely lacking in every respect. No worker has to subject themselves to any hazardous situation and a worker should not have to accept anything less than the highest safety standards to protect them. If that environment is not provided, it is not a failing of the worker, but of management. There is plenty that can be done to increase safety at working conditions at that plant but safety systems, hygiene and safety culture make it a hell hole, not the actual process. I bet some guys who work there don't even see a problem as they are desensitized to the hazards and "Izzza wuk".

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”