Forums

Digicel net neutrality

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Digicel net neutrality

Postby Coppershot » January 25th, 2016, 5:42 pm

Apparently they already started blocking ads on their 4g networks?
You have to contact for them to turn it off.

This is very disturbing especially for website and app developers who relying on ad revenue to keep sites running.
I see TATT have talked about it in the past

Pg 68
https://tatt.org.tt/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?Command=Core_Download&EntryId=479&PortalId=0&TabId=222

http://www.digicelgroup.com/tt/en/mobile/great-deals/Shine_Ad_Blocker.html
Fed up of ads eating up your data allowance? Fed up of ads slowing down websites?

Remember when you could browse the web without being bombarded with ads?

Digicel Ad control service is now FREE of charge to all Digicel mobile customers and available on Digicel’s network without any activation required. The Digicel Ad Control service reduces the amount of ads displayed on websites and in apps on the Digicel Network.

Yes Please - let’s make the Internet user friendly again!

You do not need to do anything as Digicel has given all of its customers access to this service FREE of charge.

No Thanks – I’m happy to use more of my data for ads

If you prefer not to have this facility and would like to deactivate this service, simply dial *149# from your Digicel mobile phone. If you have deactivated this service, you can dial the same code at any time to reactivate.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Digicel net neutrality

Postby redmanjp » January 25th, 2016, 7:04 pm

they can offer the feature but have off by default and let customers opt in instead of having it on and having to opt out

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » January 25th, 2016, 7:13 pm

brb switching to digicel

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 25th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Coppershot wrote:Apparently they already started blocking ads on their 4g networks?
You have to contact for them to turn it off.

This is very disturbing especially for website and app developers who relying on ad revenue to keep sites running.

Maybe website and app developers shouldn't have abused the power of pushing ads and malware on people so much now that they always have to use adblock.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160111/05574633295/forbes-site-after-begging-you-turn-off-adblocker-serves-up-steaming-pile-malware-ads.shtml

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3021113/security/forbes-malware-ad-blocker-advertisements.html

Yeah btw I gonna call Digicel and tell them I want to see ads and all that irrelevant sheit on my screen that taking up space. I REALLY want to drink stag beer and find all the single women in [insert geolocation] :roll: :lol:

X-Axis
Trinituner Peong

Postby X-Axis » January 25th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Reason to switch to Digicel 4G. Hate that click bait sheit.

RapToR
punchin NOS
Location: Wholesaler & Reseller --- FREE Delivery<--Almost Anywhere!

Postby RapToR » January 25th, 2016, 8:14 pm

Switching to digi tomorrow

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 25th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Our ads on TriniTuner are still showing on our Digicel 4G devices and our ad stats still show thousands of daily users from Digicel network - so hopefully we will not be blocked.

The biggest sites on the internet including Facebook, Youtube, Google, Yahoo, Bing as well as the largest publishers including Forbes, BBC, The Daily Mail, New York Times, Huffington Post, BuzzFeed, Engadget, Gizmodo etc etc all offer their publications for free to users and instead generate revenue from placing ads on their pages. If ad blockers are installed by default then the revenue stream for these publications gets cut and they will no longer be able to offer their services for free to the users at large.

Just like TV and radio, someone has to pay to keep the content free to the viewers and listeners. The brands and ad agencies are happy to do so to reach an audience, of they get blocked then the viewers and listeners are the ones who end up paying for the content.

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » January 25th, 2016, 9:37 pm

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » January 25th, 2016, 9:40 pm

whatsapp uses high data?

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » January 25th, 2016, 9:42 pm

S_2NR wrote:whatsapp uses high data?

Its a threat to their SMS and voice business

tiger balm
Sweet on this forum

Postby tiger balm » January 25th, 2016, 10:46 pm

As maj.tom said, internet ads are out of hand. Isn't this a feature of the new iphone also (think I read that somewhere)? This will be the next area for development. Adblockers for phones vs advertisers trying to "break" them

novastar1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby novastar1 » January 26th, 2016, 1:48 am

Digicel wasn't exactly for net neutrality for YEARS now

If you had a "smart" plan..... Social media data use including WhatsApp and twitter and Instagram data all did NOT count in you data cap

Which was to me as I use lots of WhatsApp

novastar1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby novastar1 » January 26th, 2016, 1:53 am

I think it adds didn't get out of hand : ie malware , loading HD flash assets in the background them we wouldn't have gotten to here.

Long gone are the days of non intrusive or native advertising

Recently Forbes.com had a splash page asking user's to switch adblock off..... Those who did it was promptly infected with malware that was served up to them by a rogue add on Forbes

You guys can have a look this
http://www.networkworld.com/article/302 ... ments.html

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » January 26th, 2016, 11:32 am

People not seeing the threat, if they start automatically censoring traffic, what stopping them from censoring other traffic, like kodi, netflix. Remember they recently rolled out a tv entertainment package.

If you pay for internet, its your right to receive all traffic, unfiltered.
Also for small business owners who advertise of Facebook etc, if they decide to censor traffic on Facebook, your customers will lose out.

The issue is blocking of content, they are using the ad blocker to springboard into other areas if it is allowed imo.

http://www.caribbean360.com/news/regulator-warns-digicel-against-blocking-ads-on-customer-phones

CASTRIES, St. Lucia, Tuesday November 3, 2015 – The Eastern Caribbean Telecommunications Authority (ECTEL) has warned Digicel against proceeding with plans to implement technology to block Internet ads on customers’ mobile phones, saying it would not only be hindering the growth, usage and deployment of broadband but also breaching its licence.

This follows a September 30, 2015 announcement by Digicel and brought to ECTEL’s attention by the National Telecommunications Authority (NTRC), in which the company said it would become the first mobile operator to implement ad control technology to block Internet ads on customers’ mobile phones, particularly from big companies like Facebook, Yahoo and Google, unless they get some of the ad revenue.

Digicel, which accused the tech giants of taking advantage of its network and keeping the money for themselves, said it would introduce the new policy in Jamaica before rolling it out in its other Caribbean markets in the coming months.

However, in a statement issued a few days ago, ECTEL said while it wants to improve the experience of customers using the Internet and increasing penetration for broadband services in its member states – Dominica, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines – “it strongly opposes the method being proposed by Digicel to achieve this objective”.

“ECTEL remains committed to promoting the up-take of broadband in its Member States and is of the view that the implementation of this technology by Digicel will hinder the growth, usage and deployment of broadband,” it said.

ECTEL added that in correspondence sent to Digicel’s managers in all five member states, it reiterated its position on Net Neutrality, which states that service providers should treat all data on the Internet the same, not intercepting, interrupting, blocking, degrading, discriminating or charging differentially, by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, mode of communication or source or destination of communication.

“Interception of any communication without the consent of the receiving party breaches the Telecommunications Act and amounts to a breach of the operator’s licence,” the regulator warned.

“ECTEL is therefore advising Digicel to adhere to the stated principles of Net Neutrality and to refrain from deploying its ad control technology within ECTEL member states.”

When it announced its ad blocking plan in the September statement, Digicel contended that the move would be a win-win for the company and customers.

“With ads using up as much as 10 per cent of a customers’ data plan allowance, this move will allow customers to browse the mobile web and apps without interruption from unwanted advertising messages,” the statement said.

“Digicel is looking to companies like Google, Yahoo and Facebook to enter into revenue sharing agreements with it so that this money in turn can be reinvested in network deployment and ultimately the bridging of the digital divide.”

Chairman of Digicel Group Denis O’Brien said that, by going in that direction, the telecoms company was “taking a stand” against the big tech companies “to force them to put their hands in their pockets and play a real role in improving the opportunities for economic empowerment for the global population.”

Read more: http://www.caribbean360.com/news/regula ... z3yMgWKQp6

TRAE
punchin NOS

Postby TRAE » January 26th, 2016, 11:47 am

rely on content bruh- everyone hate ads

tiger balm
Sweet on this forum

Postby tiger balm » January 26th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Ah I see where Coppershot is going. Firstly regarding the Carb'n360 article, this is a money making decision for Digicel. Squeeze the big players for ad revenue and block out the smaller ones. Digicel's ad isn't guaranteeing 100% ad blocking, they'll be reducing them. They moving underhanded there though. It's also a way to attract more customers and make more money.

If I understand Coppershot, by limiting/ blocking ads, Digicel is in essence taking responsibility for what content comes to us. Instead of focusing on the torrent sites and individuals, bodies like the MPAA may go after internet providers for providing access to material. This would make/ encourage Digicel to block additional content/ access to for e.g. torrent sites etc. Therefore the limiting of content could expand into other ways

Hhhmm...interesting

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 26th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Yeah torrent blocking might be the only thing that would cause me to reconsider digicel ftth

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » January 27th, 2016, 5:01 am

This is bob.

bob understands that some websites / apps rely on ads

bob uses an ad blocker

bob complains when websites drop their standard due to loss in revenue

bob is a c--t

don't be like bob

...always support ads

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 27th, 2016, 4:54 pm

TRAE wrote:rely on content bruh- everyone hate ads
???
not sure I follow

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » January 28th, 2016, 11:04 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_discrimination
I think ppl not reading fully and just thinking short term 'ad blocker' and not about implications it implies.
Lets say tomorrow they decide to filter data or charge more to access 'youtube', 'instagram' or 'waze' then ppl will have a problem. Might be to late, since authorities not doing anything about this new development.
You pay for a data plan, you have the right to access any content that you choose in its full entirety.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » January 28th, 2016, 12:27 pm

Ads still running

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » January 28th, 2016, 4:39 pm

need the ads to keep free services free people

ad filtering is censorship, what will happen when the same filters are applied to controversial subjects? or political groups?

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » January 28th, 2016, 5:08 pm

Hey Duane I already saw ride along 2, any way I could avoid seeing the ad for it on every page? I'm really not going to watch it again.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 28th, 2016, 5:28 pm

pete wrote:Hey Duane I already saw ride along 2, any way I could avoid seeing the ad for it on every page? I'm really not going to watch it again.

it doesnt show on every page. it shows once and then again 12 hours after.

like most web pages, it uses cookies, in this case it uses the cookies to tell if you have been here in the past 12 hours. You need to have cookies turned on (it is usually on by default) so the ad does not show for you on every single page.

rage666
Street 2NR

Postby rage666 » February 1st, 2016, 1:55 pm

pete wrote:Hey Duane I already saw ride along 2, any way I could avoid seeing the ad for it on every page? I'm really not going to watch it again.

lol...

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » February 1st, 2016, 6:09 pm

It was happening on Tapatalk and seemed to be on every page actually.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » February 2nd, 2016, 2:49 am

pete wrote:It was happening on Tapatalk and seemed to be on every page actually.

adaway for android

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 2nd, 2016, 10:43 am

pete wrote:It was happening on Tapatalk and seemed to be on every page actually.
post a screenshot pls

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”