TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Would you prefer:

Small salary and small (5-7.5%) commission.
0
No votes
Huge commission (20-30%) alone.
4
100%
 
Total votes: 4

User avatar
DTAC
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2039
Joined: October 15th, 2008, 1:56 am

Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby DTAC » February 21st, 2016, 10:20 am

Would you prefer a salary and a small commission (let's say around 5-7.5%) or no salary but a huge commission (20-30%) instead?

My friend has gotten burnt multiple times with option 1 people, but I always tell him he need an option 2 person.

What you think for yourself?

Advertisement
User avatar
pete
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 9374
Joined: April 18th, 2003, 1:19 pm
Location: Cruisin around in da GTi
Contact:

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby pete » February 21st, 2016, 10:54 am

What you selling to get 5% commission?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

User avatar
kjaglal76v2
12 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2214
Joined: April 1st, 2014, 4:03 pm
Location: iymc

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby kjaglal76v2 » February 21st, 2016, 12:23 pm

real estate I feel

User avatar
DTAC
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2039
Joined: October 15th, 2008, 1:56 am

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby DTAC » February 21st, 2016, 12:49 pm

Well the 5% commission is in addition to a salary unless it's normal to pay a salary as well as more than that. I'm interesting in knowing. So anyone with examples of salary and commission rates would be great.

User avatar
Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS
Posts: 4017
Joined: August 6th, 2003, 5:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby Ignorant Ignis » February 21st, 2016, 2:17 pm

u gonna need to give me far more details than that.

but the easiest thing to do would be to look at the industry standard for the position, experience and commodity.

User avatar
pete
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 9374
Joined: April 18th, 2003, 1:19 pm
Location: Cruisin around in da GTi
Contact:

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby pete » February 21st, 2016, 6:51 pm

Really depends on what the product is. If the overall markup on the product for wholesale sale is 10-20% you can't really expect a company to give 5% plus a salary. More like 1-2%.

User avatar
X2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8649
Joined: April 18th, 2003, 1:54 pm
Location: 3 stories above the Batcave...

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby X2 » February 21st, 2016, 8:06 pm

I want to know what people selling to pay commissions in the 5+ % range... and then asking for 20-30 ? whoa !n This is a school project awah ?

User avatar
DTAC
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2039
Joined: October 15th, 2008, 1:56 am

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby DTAC » February 21st, 2016, 9:00 pm

5% commissions *in addition to* a salary as well. ie. $4,000 per month PLUS 5% on any sale as opposed to no salary but getting 20-30% of the sale.

A product selling between $30,000 to around $250,000. But not cars. So you're looking at medium to nationwide companies (RBL, TSTT, bpTT, that kind of league (all existing or past clients)).

Looking at rebranding.

User avatar
kjaglal76v2
12 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2214
Joined: April 1st, 2014, 4:03 pm
Location: iymc

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby kjaglal76v2 » February 21st, 2016, 10:00 pm

20-30% is prolly the markup on the goods

:ROFL:

I kno some ppl get their basic salary & commission after a certain tally.

User avatar
X2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8649
Joined: April 18th, 2003, 1:54 pm
Location: 3 stories above the Batcave...

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby X2 » February 21st, 2016, 10:02 pm

Oil revenue ? The percentage just seems extremely high... outside of things like jewelry where markup is sky high, most retail or wholesale product sees less than 10% commission. So not indicating industry makes it kind of fairy tale scenario.

Plus rebranding in an unstable economy... is the sales candidate able to provide a strategy to do this for 20% ? Or are they depending on the company management to do this ?

A sales professional... to answer your question, would take the higher commission and no salary and will make it happen.... small salary and small commission is for people who want to live with their grandma.

User avatar
DTAC
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2039
Joined: October 15th, 2008, 1:56 am

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby DTAC » February 22nd, 2016, 2:08 pm

I agree with that.

In my situation, I have no problem with a 20% commission as it still leaves me with 80% profit as there are no costs apart from my time and small overheads and everything is created by me.

I think marketing people here are just either small thinkers or people looking to pull easy salary. Seems no-one is like, "Yeah, I'll pull the projects in, just remember what percentage you said and spell my name right on the cheques."

User avatar
pete
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 9374
Joined: April 18th, 2003, 1:19 pm
Location: Cruisin around in da GTi
Contact:

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby pete » February 22nd, 2016, 2:15 pm

Oh you're calculating commission on the markup?

Normally it's done on net sales and maybe additional for collections.

User avatar
Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS
Posts: 4017
Joined: August 6th, 2003, 5:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby Ignorant Ignis » February 22nd, 2016, 6:42 pm

DTAC wrote:I agree with that.

In my situation, I have no problem with a 20% commission as it still leaves me with 80% profit as there are no costs apart from my time and small overheads and everything is created by me.

I think marketing people here are just either small thinkers or people looking to pull easy salary. Seems no-one is like, "Yeah, I'll pull the projects in, just remember what percentage you said and spell my name right on the cheques."



you seem to be grouping marketing with sales ....... thin line between the two but a very wide spread skill set from one person to another. to be honest ....in this field you get what you pay for

User avatar
RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7502
Joined: June 26th, 2007, 10:46 am
Location: Pikchatekoutin
Contact:

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby RBphoto » February 23rd, 2016, 9:47 am

I would work on fixed salary plus commission. Fixed salary to tide over bad months, comission to get a bonus when I do well.

User avatar
Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS
Posts: 4017
Joined: August 6th, 2003, 5:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby Ignorant Ignis » February 23rd, 2016, 10:05 am

the down fall to heavy commission based salaries is that you cant take that to the bank to take loan or mortgage

User avatar
DTAC
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2039
Joined: October 15th, 2008, 1:56 am

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby DTAC » February 23rd, 2016, 10:28 am

Yeah, it's security/stability/comfort vs higher income. In a boom time people more inclined to take the more entrepreneurial outlook of risk vs reward whereas in a contracted environment like now, people prefer to have something small but secure.

But would someone working on a salary and small bonus try as hard to land the huge jobs given that their cut would still be small compared to someone who is getting a big chunk of the pie vs a small slice?

User avatar
iM@st@1
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 962
Joined: July 18th, 2008, 5:03 pm
Location: St. Augustine

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby iM@st@1 » February 23rd, 2016, 11:53 am

That might depend on a person's work ethic. I work sales but receive no commission, my salary is decent but at the end of the day the lack that added incentive really doesn't motivate me to go above and beyond. I get my work done and that's it.

I actually tried renegotiating my salary this year and get hit with a recession bs talk. So yea, they getting exactly what they paying me for.

User avatar
RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7502
Joined: June 26th, 2007, 10:46 am
Location: Pikchatekoutin
Contact:

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby RBphoto » February 23rd, 2016, 12:56 pm

72 virgins in the afterlife don't sound too bad for some.

User avatar
Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS
Posts: 4017
Joined: August 6th, 2003, 5:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Marketers and wannabes. Your opinion on commisions

Postby Ignorant Ignis » February 23rd, 2016, 7:43 pm

what you need to do is a commission based structure.... not a flat percentage

ie. 0-10k - 5%
10-25k - 7.5%
25k - 50k - 10%

new customer bonus
customer retention incentive
etc etc

that will still entice the employee to aim high.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Redman and 34 guests