Forums

Petition to Increase Highway Speed Limit to 100-120km/h

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Petition to Increase Highway Speed Limit to 100-120km/h

Postby De Dragon » May 10th, 2016, 11:48 am

MadCrix wrote:i just LOVE how allyuh ppl does compared Trinidad to first world countries lol

when you start with that point, you have already lost the battle

No, when it is convenient we love to say well "dem does do dat dey," without learning how their PROCESS of implementing these things work.

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: RE: Re: Petition to Increase Highway Speed Limit to 100-120km/h

Postby sMASH » May 10th, 2016, 6:14 pm

De Dragon wrote:
MadCrix wrote:i just LOVE how allyuh ppl does compared Trinidad to first world countries lol

No, when it is convenient we love to say well "dem does do dat dey," without learning how their PROCESS of implementing these things work.

When they hardly exposed to foreign engineering and engineers, they don't see the possibility. When u work with the Germans, u realize we have the same brain like them. The difference is the attitude.
We like things to remain because it is what we know, the white man tries to get the best overall result and commits resources to research it.

Black people again. Politicians have a right bobolize we cause we can't take the yokes out from our minds.

Don't worry, I working on a solution.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 10th, 2016, 6:35 pm

sMASH wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

When they hardly exposed to foreign engineering and engineers, they don't see the possibility. When u work with the Germans, u realize we have the same brain like them. The difference is the attitude.
We like things to remain because it is what we know, the white man tries to get the best overall result and commits resources to research it.

Black people again. Politicians have a right bobolize we cause we can't take the yokes out from our minds.

Yes, the Germans are masters of their craft when it comes to industry and infrastructure.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 10th, 2016, 10:23 pm

signed

Computerman
Riding on 18's

Postby Computerman » May 10th, 2016, 10:42 pm

ingalook wrote:
Computerman wrote:

Yup... they assume that the 20-30% of drivers who were doing 80km were driving that speed because it is what they were comfortable with - but believe it or not some trinis did that speed BECAUSE IT IS THE LAW

This created a problem - a bunch of cars where the drivers were doing their civic duty - driving 80km and then even more drivers doing 120 - 140km because they felt comfortable at that speed

A massive speed differential of 40 - 60km resulted, and inevitably, accidents and deaths

Will there be reduced carnage on the roads with the enforcement of the 80km speed limit?? Probably - but with notable negatives:

1. Reduced capacity on the roads
2. longer commute times
3. People are so afraid that they are slowing to 60km when they see blue lights
4. Potentially greater speed differentials
5. Monotonous driving experience
6. People are now being distracted by having to watch their Speedometer more than the road

With an enforced 110km limit?? Probably as well - negatives

1. When accidents occur they may be worse (or may not due to likely reduced speed difference)
2. Less potential revenue for government

If 110km is the new legal limit I'd wager that many of those 80km people would speed up to at least 100km

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 10th, 2016, 11:32 pm

Oh wow, the horror of it all. Those other vehicles were such a hazard. It a wonder everyone made it off of those roads alive. Didn't u fear for your life, being amongst so many law breaking criminals?

Computerman
Riding on 18's

Postby Computerman » May 11th, 2016, 7:15 am

sMASH wrote:Oh wow, the horror of it all. Those other vehicles were such a hazard. It a wonder everyone made it off of those roads alive. Didn't u fear for your life, being amongst so many law breaking criminals?

I am still of the opinion that the maximum speed under optimal driving conditions can be increased to 60mph. Due to the limit currently being 50mph I was averaging 40mph. Personally, I am very comfortable driving at 2000rpm in 5th gear (56mph).

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » May 11th, 2016, 2:02 pm

De Dragon wrote:
sMASH wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

Yes, the Germans are masters of their craft when it comes to industry and infrastructure.

German Engineering in Trinidad is complete sheit tho... from plant equipment to their base model cars.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » May 11th, 2016, 2:08 pm

I think everybody thinks that the whole bloody system, from buying the car with rolled back millage, to MVT to licensing to inspection to buying your license to the bloody road destroying your suspension to people getting sheit fuel mashing up their engine to insurance to enforcement is a flicking corrupted to hell, so when they try to enforce ONE thing, everybody is up in arms as everything else is a wild west.

I wonder if they will be able to catch people with fraudulent plates?

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » May 11th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Anyone know where I can get a foreign used Veyron?

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 11th, 2016, 6:56 pm

No, when it is convenient we love to say well "dem does do dat dey," without learning how their PROCESS of implementing these things work.[/quote]

Don't worry, I working on a solution.[/quote]

You said it exactly how I think it.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » May 12th, 2016, 6:33 am

What about the main roads where there are no buildings around, are those roads 50 or 80? Like the smr from the roundabout to warrenville etc. Also those "school" areas with 30kph limits are those limits 24/7 or just when school children are present?

ingalook
Riding on 16's

Postby ingalook » May 12th, 2016, 6:48 am

pete wrote:What about the main roads where there are no buildings around, are those roads 50 or 80? Like the smr from the roundabout to warrenville etc. Also those "school" areas with 30kph limits are those limits 24/7 or just when school children are present?

Watch yuh boy Pete - touting 80km on the highway in some threads but want to do 30km over the speed limit on other roads when it suits you

*ring* *ring"

"Shame"

:P

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » May 12th, 2016, 8:15 am

I've been doing 50 but there are no posted signs in those areas. What I'm asking is could that be considered "outside of built up areas" and am I being a dick driving slow or not.

BTW, my personal opinion is the limits are too low. I shared this petition on fb when it was only at 329 signatures. I would be very happy with a 100kph limit on the highway for all vehicles and if they want trucks slower well 80kph for Class 3 and above. Despite not being happy with the current limit I don't have $1k to throw away right now so I've tried to adjust my attitude towards it so that I don't go crazy being upset about it and just chill while driving slower than I used to.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 12th, 2016, 9:51 am

Well, the law didn't say 'highway', it used the term 'built up area'... if I remember correctly without reading it again.

Also, the 50/80 speeds are general, and if different, it would be posted.

U may be right, but a duncey head police may think differently and u may have to try ur luck in court.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 12th, 2016, 9:52 am

ingalook wrote:
pete wrote:What about the main roads where there are no buildings around, are those roads 50 or 80? Like the smr from the roundabout to warrenville etc. Also those "school" areas with 30kph limits are those limits 24/7 or just when school children are present?

Watch yuh boy Pete - touting 80km on the highway in some threads but want to do 30km over the speed limit on other roads when it suits you

*ring* *ring"

"Shame"

:P

Will have to use that too...

Ring, ring,
Shame!

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » May 12th, 2016, 12:43 pm

De Dragon wrote:Yes, the Germans are masters of their craft when it comes to industry and infrastructure.

:| I really don't know about that. After supervising the Germans building an ammonia plant in Point Lisas and seeing all the slip shoddy work that they tried to get approved, I lost all respect for them.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 12th, 2016, 1:32 pm

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/government-considers-changing-speed-limit-100-kph-highways

The Government is considering changing the speed limit to 100 kilometres per hour on two highways in particular and it could possibly be agreed upon within a week.

Minister of Works and Transport, Fitzgerald Hinds told today's post-Cabinet news conference that in light of public discussion on the matter, he has asked experts within his Ministry to give feedback on the issue.

He says he has requested the feedback be received "in short order, perhaps within a week".

"This matter is receiving active consideration," he told the press conference.

But the Minister is making it clear that speed limits are developed by scientific mechanisms that involve the built of the roads and also by the "prevailing speed", which means the average speed of drivers using the roads.

"This prevailing speed helps in determination of what the speed limit is. The ministry's officials are also looking at this prevailing speed and will make our determination at that point," Minister Hinds said.

The Minister added that he has not seen any petition on social media nor has he been approached by any group or individual, offering justifiable reasons why the speed limit should be adjusted.

"We are looking at the matter and it will be done on a scientific basis, not on the basis of whim or emotions or because somebody is making noise or otherwise," the Minister said.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » May 12th, 2016, 2:15 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
De Dragon wrote:Yes, the Germans are masters of their craft when it comes to industry and infrastructure.

:| I really don't know about that. After supervising the Germans building an ammonia plant in Point Lisas and seeing all the slip shoddy work that they tried to get approved, I lost all respect for them.

People who praise the Germans usually haven't actually dealt with their work for an extended period.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 12th, 2016, 2:55 pm

The Government is considering changing the speed limit to 100 kilometres per hour on highways in particular and it could possibly be agreed upon within a week.

This will apply to the Churchill Roosevelt, Uriah Butler and Beetham highways.

The speed limit along the Diego Martin Highway will also be adjusted upward based on experts' advice.

Minister of Works and Transport, Fitzgerald Hinds told today's post-Cabinet news conference that in light of public discussion on the matter, he has asked experts within his Ministry to give feedback on the issue.

He says he has requested the feedback be received "in short order, perhaps within a week".

"This matter is receiving active consideration," he told the press conference.

Acting Prime Minister Colm Imbert said the Government is not going to 'flip-flop" on the issue.

"We intend to uphold the law as it is but at the same time we intend to actively pursue the speed limit of 100 kilometres per hour on those highways," he said.

Minister Hinds is making it clear that speed limits are developed by scientific mechanisms that involve the built of the roads and also by the "prevailing speed", which means the average speed of drivers using the roads.

"This prevailing speed helps in determination of what the speed limit is. The ministry's officials are also looking at this prevailing speed and will make our determination at that point," Minister Hinds said.

The Minister added that he has not seen any petition on social media nor has he been approached by any group or individual, offering justifiable reasons why the speed limit should be adjusted.

"We are looking at the matter and it will be done on a scientific basis, not on the basis of whim or emotions or because somebody is making noise or otherwise," the Minister said.

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/gov ... h-highways

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Petition to Increase Highway Speed Limit to 100-120km/h

Postby sMASH » May 12th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

most of the machines and control systems tend to be of German heritage. The P&ID's and manuals by the Germans were quite comprehensive when compared to the American ones for the those processes. We have different experiences. I only had to deal, with the resultant work.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 12th, 2016, 8:54 pm

100kph soon- be patient

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » May 12th, 2016, 9:21 pm

prevailing speed? only partly. the environment, surroundings, road state/type, and the scale of road all factor. hence why a country road should have lower speed limit than a highway.

but seems this group calling for petition still saying "in Canada dey does do ting..." this isn't Canada, dudes....funny people of this petition group are releasing social media, flyers, TV appearances, radio appearances, or have a spokesperson to put forward their case to persuade people. Most road safety professionals i does know, who is internationally trained, saying it stupid to increase and not some maxi men whose only driving experience/certs are a driving permit and maxi permit.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » May 12th, 2016, 9:31 pm

and how they proposing the speed limit on highways alone is too confusing.

if they wanna compare tandt wit other countries, then look here:

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

all this sheit about intersections and such only does conflate/confuse.

all highways at junctions should be designed properly.

and why they ent talking about highway design? or forcing people to USE walkovers? or not letting roti shop on the highway? or allowing cyclists on the highway? or penalising PARENTS who does cross directly under the walkover to tek chirren to school??

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 12th, 2016, 9:32 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

People who praise the Germans usually haven't actually dealt with their work for an extended period.

Yeah 16 years is small time to venture an opinion :roll: :roll:

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » May 12th, 2016, 10:53 pm

De Dragon wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Understandable. 16 years of brown nosing would affect anyone's vision.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 12th, 2016, 11:31 pm

De Dragon wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

You really are an unbearable trolling kant. Seriously. I am sure you couldn't engineer your stupid self out of a facking brown bag.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » May 13th, 2016, 12:57 am

De Dragon wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

You really are an unbearable trolling kant. Seriously. I am sure you couldn't engineer your stupid self out of a facking brown bag.

:rofl: No wonder your real life peers call you De Beatup.

Here have some

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » May 13th, 2016, 12:59 am

Highway robbery and other sins

http://www.guardian.co.tt/columnist/201 ... other-sins

Last week’s sudden and apparently devastating realisation that our highways and byways are governed by traffic laws betrays longstanding denial of the fact that the most significant criminal hotspots in T&T have indeed been the nation’s roads.

Based on a 2013 transport ministry estimate, up to 35,000 road accidents occur here on an annual basis. The largest block of the more serious ones is typically characterised by speed and/or substance abuse of one kind or the other, usually the consumption of alcohol.

But, so shocked have some drivers been about this sudden, apparently unknown piece of legislation, the Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Act, a few of them have reportedly formed a new pressure group to work toward the reform of the Act and associated laws and regulations. They have described the use by police of new speed detection devices as an act of official “highway robbery” at $1,000 a pop—degree of transgression notwithstanding.

It is my understanding that the group plans on calling itself the Trinidad Islandwide Indignant Drivers Association (TIIDA) and comprises a wide cross-section of the car-owning community including doctors, engineers, teachers, police officers, journalists and truck and maxi taxi drivers all crying foul over the move to suddenly impose what they have termed “oppressive,” albeit old, speed limits.

So it is that TIIDA has put forward the following recommendations for consideration by its membership. According to association spokesman, D Wetmann, an online petition will be launched soon, calling on the authorities to do the following:

1. Impose a maximum speed limit of 200 kph and become the first country in the world to do so. This would put us in the Guinness Book of World Records and earn us special recognition in the World Health Organization (WHO) Global Status Report on Road Safety. This will be right up there with Carnival’s designation as The Greatest Show on Earth, Fatboy of Curepe’s Best Doubles in the World and our reputation as land of the World’s Most Honest Politicians. Think tourism dollars.

2. Amend Section 71A (1) of the Act which dictates that “A person who drives a motor vehicle dangerously on a road commits an offence,” by replacing the word “dangerously” with “slowly.”
Slow-pokes driving at 80 kph and below on the highway are the ones who cause the most accidents because swerving away from them and “losing control” of our cars leads to serious damage and destruction to utility poles, walls, other cars, passengers and pedestrians who should, in any event, go out and buy a car.

3. Increase the blood alcohol limit under Section 70A (1) to cater for people who can drink a case of beer or a bottle of puncheon rum and still remember who they voted for in the last election. There should also be an exemption for people who drink expensive whisky, vodka or champagne because…don’t you know how much they paid for the stuff?

What is even more frightening to all concerned is Section 70(B) (4) which says: “Where a person referred to…is at a hospital as a patient, he may be required by a constable to give a specimen of breath at the hospital.” Believe us, a “specimen of breath” after beers and puncheon can be murder.

4. Amend the Litter Act to permit the dumping of no more than one food box on the street provided it was the intention of the thrower to aim for (a) the drain (b) over someone’s wall or (c) the open tray of a parked pickup truck. For two food boxes, it should have been the intent to throw them in somebody’s yard.

5. Though this has been proposed before, use of vehicles for “private hire” (PH) should be legalised. This should be so not only because they play the best music, but their drivers seem to make enough money to compensate injured passengers not covered by what would become useless insurance policies in the event of an accident. They are also very competent drivers who can do 120 kph on a narrow street. Members of Parliament who lobby for this will earn themselves free trips to and from their homes in these vehicles.

6. Repeal Section 27 (1) which talks about vehicles “so constructed or is in such a condition as to constitute a health, safety or environmental hazard to any person travelling in the vehicle or to other members of the public.”
This needs to be acted upon quickly, because someday soon, somebody is going to start arguing that noise pollution can be described as constituting an “environmental hazard” and many of us would have to go back to the muffler man to replace the impressive exhaust pipes that continue to attract scores of young women to our vehicles.

7. Repeal Section 43A (1) which dictates that front seat passengers always wear seat belts. This is a particular obstruction when (a) pouring expensive liquor for the driver (b) lighting a spliff and (c) spinning around to slap noisy children in the backseat.

8. Permit use of mobile phones, but only if you aren’t already eating a bowl of hot soup or a chicken roti (with bones) or looking at music videos on your dashboard DVD player.
These radical reforms are certain to make life easier for all concerned. Support TIIDA by signing its online petition today!

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » May 13th, 2016, 10:07 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Rory you're referencing T...an and L.rgi ?

As a PM student is my very early days we went to study their PM processes in the construction of that plant

100 is being considered. Honestly the plan should be to study the 85 percentile before the speed guns were introduced . Or have a few days of study with it removed to get an new 85 percentile. Either way there should be empirical evidence and not anecdotal evidence with a new limit . 100 seems reasonable for passenger vehicles on the CRH on the UBH there should be some sections at 120 with others at 80-100, anecdotal talk .

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”