Forums

Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Computerman
Riding on 18's

Re: Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick

Postby Computerman » May 25th, 2016, 3:12 pm

skylinechild wrote:are you aware you can use w10 drivers on w7??
I assume you meant it the other way. But at any rate not all 7 drivers work on 10.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 25th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Computerman wrote:
skylinechild wrote:are you aware you can use w10 drivers on w7??
I assume you meant it the other way. But at any rate not all 7 drivers work on 10.

yea sorry ...my bad... :oops: :oops: fixed it...

but yea...w7 drivers can work on w10...depends on how the driver was made...certain manufacturer and certain drivers do work.....others is salt...

only one way to know if it works or not....try it...if it works...great.....if not..you loose nothing by tryin. :lol:

HSA
Riding on 17's

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick

Postby HSA » May 26th, 2016, 6:34 am

skylinechild wrote:
2NR Smurf wrote:
HSA wrote:
2NR Smurf wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
HSA wrote:win 10 aint bad..donno what the beatup is about with these " nasty" tricks

That's not the point. That red x means closed everywhere else. Why should it mean anything different now? Also Windows 10 could be the best OS ever. If an important program you have doesn't work on it it doesn't matter how good 10 is.

I'd guess it's also a problem if your win7 install isn't legit...

know of alot of guys installed pirated win7 and got ligit win 10 after the upgrade

Really? Hmmmm i was under the assumption you'd need to purchase a legit key after the upgrade.

correct.....you still need to purchase a legit key after the upgrade

willing to bet money on that??

trump2016
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trump2016 » May 26th, 2016, 8:52 am

Last edited by trump2016 on July 7th, 2016, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » May 26th, 2016, 9:46 am

skylinechild wrote:
PapaC wrote:It's like click bait hat those shady websites use. You click close and get four pop ups.
My desktop has a reported problmem with he Ethernet port and no drivers for win 10 and it appears that it not going to get fixed. I want to update but it's a secondary matchine for menial tasks, I don't want to upgrade it. May need to see if I can acquire a used adapter, wired or wireless.

are you aware you can use w7 drivers on w10 ??

you know how to manually install the driver ??

download w7 ethernet driver ....unzip it to get the files....go to device manager...right click...select update driver software...select manually select driver or let me choose....navigate to where u unzipped the files...select it...let it install.......reboot.

try that..report bk and let us know....

i feel i need to say this...if you have w10 32bit...kindly get the w7 32 bit driver an vice versa....

I will try it over the long weekend and let you know what happened.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 26th, 2016, 11:28 am

^^ about the 32bit/64bit, if I had to do that I might have forgotten, so is a good thing to mention. Its been a while since I had to deal with 32bit.

After the amnesty date, u would have to purchase w10. So after that point, should the upgrade prompt cease, and could u reinstall ur previous version of windows?

I had an install of w10 roll back on me as well, suspected it was because of the bootleg w8. I then used a key to to authenticate and then it worked.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 26th, 2016, 11:35 am

I'm sure they're going to start a class-action lawsuit against Microsoft in the USA/EU because of this. Ownership rights and software hijacking. Whoever is making these decisions at the top needs to answer.

altec
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby altec » May 26th, 2016, 12:12 pm

i also got the win 10 update and it f#cked up my 2 year old gaming laptop because AMD video drivers were incompatible. Had to call Microsoft support and give them remote control over the laptop only for them to tell me they can't fix it and sorry after 30 minutes of poking around windows. I lost a lot of files such as pics and docs and don't talk about the game settings i had.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » May 26th, 2016, 12:14 pm

You guys don't backup with system images? Wipe and reinstall the image, no problem.

JF.K
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: RE: Re: Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick

Postby JF.K » May 26th, 2016, 1:12 pm

skylinechild wrote:
JF.K wrote:I encountered alot of problems after I upgraded...

Many hardware and software are too "outdated" to run on windows 10.

I bought a desktop a few years ago with Win8... at that time it had the latest everything;
Processor, Graphics Card etc.
But it is now not compatible with this OS.

For example... my Graphics Card is now deemed as 'outdated' for Win10 and is forcing me to use my VGA cable to my monitor instead of my HDMI (that I previously used)

There is also no way to revert back to Win8 after u upgrade to Win10... unless u use crack software.

JF.K wrote:One of the problems are with the very popular NVIDIA drivers and video cards...
Microsoft admits that versions of these (even though they are just a few years old) are not compatible and people are forced to upgrade them after they go to Win10

check in the device manager to see if all devices are properly installed.
be aware that if some devices say theyre properly installed that doesnt mean theyre using the correct driver.

case and point - did a friends hp laptop from W7 to w10 - it installed the W10 north bridge AHCI driver which i find was causing the laptop to run slow....did a little research on intel site - used the correct intel driver- and boom...big difference...

as an added bonus it installed drivers for other base system devices that W10 didnt have drivers for. and his laptop has two video cards - intel and ATi.....

i suspect in your case - its forcing you to use the VGA cable cause of a driver issue - although it says it has the correct driver - that may not be the case.

if the device is truly not compatible with w10..den thats hard...if its a desktop....why not simply change out the video card - chances are it not under warranty anymore.

if its a laptop...den yea...you maybe stuck with it. - look into the drivers thing -

yes you can go bk down to w8- provided you have the original installation disc for W8.

Well... I don't usually get a pc problem and just sit back and complain...
I have tried everything that u can suggest.

NVIDIA representatives and Microsoft personnel all admitted (in various forums) that there are compatability issues with the Video Cards and related drivers. If u google that issue, you will see a number of links coming up with many people under the same stress.

All of the various methods to revert to previous windows either involves existence of a 'system image' for recovery option or the original win8 key.

But... on recent PCs they are now embedding the windows key for the OS (that u get with the pc) in the BIOS.
They don't give a windows CD.
So when u upgrade to Win10... the system does a 'clean install' and that key is erased and you cannot revert to your original OS.
When I attempted to look for a system image to revert to I saw that there was none. Not sure if the upgrade wiped it out or if I was supposed to manually create one previously.
End result is that I can only go back with a cracked win8 OS even though I paid for a original win8 initially.

It's a desktop I have;
My whole thing is... why force me to upgrade to then Force me to spend more money (that I wasn't planning to) to now buy a 'latest edition' video card just to run their stupid OS.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 26th, 2016, 1:21 pm

Have you tried a clean W10 install with a formatted drive? Because after I upgraded a lot of programs and drivers were not working. After a clean install everything was working again.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 26th, 2016, 4:38 pm

lol
windows again
so glad i switched to osx.
windows 10 is a buggy mess

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » May 26th, 2016, 4:49 pm

That's why I never enable updates. Ran xp sp2 until I was forced to move to 7 and it'll be the same for this as well.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 27th, 2016, 12:02 am

JF.K wrote:Well... I don't usually get a pc problem and just sit back and complain...
I have tried everything that u can suggest.

NVIDIA representatives and Microsoft personnel all admitted (in various forums) that there are compatability issues with the Video Cards and related drivers. If u google that issue, you will see a number of links coming up with many people under the same stress.

All of the various methods to revert to previous windows either involves existence of a 'system image' for recovery option or the original win8 key.

But... on recent PCs they are now embedding the windows key for the OS (that u get with the pc) in the BIOS.
They don't give a windows CD.
So when u upgrade to Win10... the system does a 'clean install' and that key is erased and you cannot revert to your original OS.
When I attempted to look for a system image to revert to I saw that there was none. Not sure if the upgrade wiped it out or if I was supposed to manually create one previously.
End result is that I can only go back with a cracked win8 OS even though I paid for a original win8 initially.

It's a desktop I have;
My whole thing is... why force me to upgrade to then Force me to spend more money (that I wasn't planning to) to now buy a 'latest edition' video card just to run their stupid OS.

*sigh.....

ok i am aware of the issues WRT nivida and microsoft and their "drivers"
i can only tell you that i got it to work in the few instances i did it...

WRT the various methods to go bk to w8 -recovery or system image or the windows 8 key.

the recovery partition only works - if you didnt delete it
same thing goes for the system image.
i am aware of the clean install wiping the hard drive- before installing w10.

the windows 8 key is easy to get- you just gotta know where to find it. YES the key is STILL on the pc even though youre on W10 - you just have to know how to get it.

they started doing the embedding key thing since windows XP - its called a SLP

FYI computer manufacturers do give the OEM windows cd - you just have to request it. - thats how i got mine. :|

for dell you'll need your service tag and your bill-with invoice # / order # provided you bought it directly from them

for HP you just need to enter your serial # and look under recovery media.

they charge abt 5 usd for shipping.

yes you can go bk to W8...and it will be legit. you just gotta know what youre doing.
no cracked / hacked software. :|

i understand your frustration with being forced to upgrade and then being forced to upgrade the video card. but tbh you dont need a super high end video card..just a normal mainstream unit will do just fine.
plus you can resell the old card on tuner.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 27th, 2016, 12:05 am

trump2016 wrote:This forceful push for the upgrade, even giving pirates a chance to go legit free of charge, just makes it even more suspicious. Windows 10 really might be a means of spying on users, probably sanctioned by or designed in conjunction with the US Gov. Look up 'windows 10 botnet' for more info on just how much data it reports back, it was a big thing on the chan boards (4chan.org and 8ch.net/tech) when it came out.

you really cyah read inno....they not giving the pirates a chance to go legit...they will get the software but without activation it wont have any support - ie no updates etc

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 16th, 2016, 11:17 pm

just an update for the tuners...on july 29th will be the last day for the windows 10 free upgrade.

better do it before time runs out.

currently doing the update on an asus laptop....

novastar1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby novastar1 » June 16th, 2016, 11:22 pm

skylinechild wrote:just an update for the tuners...on july 29th will be the last day for the windows 10 free upgrade.

better do it before time runs out.

currently doing the update on an asus laptop....

Win 10 works pretty well
Just be sure to check if you have driver support if you're upgrading very old hardware

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 16th, 2016, 11:28 pm

novastar1 wrote:Win 10 works pretty well
Just be sure to check if you have driver support if you're upgrading very old hardware

excellent advice....however i'd say anything older than 4 years.....runs the risk of driver issues.

TECH TIP >>>

go to device manager open up all important devices - bluetooth - videocard , chipset controller, lan & wireless...keyboard and mouse , sound.....

take a screenshot of the names of all the devices - as the correct drivers are there it will correctly specify the device name and model - for example nvidia GT 610 display adapter

safe the pics to a flash drive.

after the upgrade you can check in device manager...see whats missing and use google to find the driver. :D 8-)

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”