TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed/ Side Hustle Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6967
Joined: October 19th, 2013, 12:35 am

Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby desifemlove » September 11th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Daran wrote:What's the best way to receive large amounts of PayPal money using a Trinidad account. VTMs have too many restrictions.


Get a visa debit card, or any trinidad-issued Visa card.

The only other option is USD bank account, but this has to be hosted in the US proper, not a USD account from a Trinidad bank.

Advertisement
User avatar
nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 21418
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: The world is fl4t

Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby nervewrecker » September 11th, 2016, 9:34 pm

dude2014 wrote:
desifemlove wrote:OK, ive started an ecommerce business, but which is the best for business bank accounts? is republic any good? what about the smaller banks like JMMB (used to be intercommercial), or bank of baroda?


Check a few of the recommendations mentioned above. It is useless to ask relatives, even if they know sometimes. Remember the KISS RULE: KEEP IT SIMPLE AND SUCCEED!

Remember to enquire about COMMINGLING OF FUNDS.

i HAVE STOPPED TALKING MY BUSINESS WITH RELATIVES!!!!!!!!!!! and guess what, I am succeeding. Check Development Finance Limited as you may also need business advise and sometimes help with financing, business plans, expansion, etc.


Best piece of advice here. After the way I hear one talk this week, f**k dem yes.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6967
Joined: October 19th, 2013, 12:35 am

Re: RE: Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby desifemlove » September 12th, 2016, 12:15 am

supercharged turbo wrote:
Daran wrote:What's the best way to receive large amounts of PayPal money using a Trinidad account. VTMs have too many restrictions.

I'm very interested in this info as well

i recently got a visa card from republic, works well on paypal. they don't care but paypal should add mastercard too, i don't see why just visa for the small countries.

User avatar
JStaples
Street 2NR
Posts: 63
Joined: February 27th, 2012, 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby JStaples » September 12th, 2016, 6:57 am

supercharged turbo wrote:
Daran wrote:What's the best way to receive large amounts of PayPal money using a Trinidad account. VTMs have too many restrictions.

I'm very interested in this info as well

The best option will be Entropay. Starters can receive up to $20000usd monthly using their virtual visa card that you connect to your PayPal . You can then wire the funds directly to your bank account here in trinidad.

dude2014
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 738
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby dude2014 » September 12th, 2016, 11:51 pm

You said it best nervewrecker. That is what is going to happen to you when you talk to relatives.
They will leave you a NERVEWRECK .......
Love them but leave them ...... that is 'Out yuh business".
Thanks

User avatar
eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12078
Joined: March 10th, 2006, 1:36 am
Location: Stalwarting
Contact:

Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby eliteauto » October 31st, 2016, 7:12 pm

An opportunity for SMEs and Entrepreneurs
https://www.facebook.com/rossadvertisin ... nref=story
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 7.10.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 7.10.19 PM.png (131.45 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6967
Joined: October 19th, 2013, 12:35 am

Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby desifemlove » November 1st, 2016, 10:57 am

if one earns money from overseas, with a business registered overseas, does this mean one has to pay taxes in T&T too?

User avatar
bluesclues
punchin NOS
Posts: 3571
Joined: December 5th, 2013, 3:35 am

Re: RE: Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby bluesclues » November 1st, 2016, 10:58 am

desifemlove wrote:if one earns money from overseas, with a business registered overseas, does this mean one has to pay taxes in T&T too?


Fatca

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6967
Joined: October 19th, 2013, 12:35 am

Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby desifemlove » November 1st, 2016, 11:02 am

i'm not a US citizen, and have little to with that racist country with comically insane POTUS elections....

User avatar
eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12078
Joined: March 10th, 2006, 1:36 am
Location: Stalwarting
Contact:

Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby eliteauto » January 2nd, 2017, 1:15 pm

Best wishes to all entrepreneurs and budding entrepreneurs for the new year. An interesting year ahead with the economic situation being what it is.

Hold a lil article one time
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/240163

Also if you can get a copy of Anthony Sabga's book " A will and a way" it makes for good reading

User avatar
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin
Posts: 20641
Joined: March 24th, 2003, 10:27 am
Location: T&T
Contact:

Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 2nd, 2017, 3:42 pm

eliteauto wrote:Best wishes to all entrepreneurs and budding entrepreneurs for the new year. An interesting year ahead with the economic situation being what it is.
Best wishes!

User avatar
shogun
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12886
Joined: May 6th, 2008, 12:24 pm
Location: Gone Rogue.

Re: The Trinituner Entrepreneurship/Self Employed Thread

Postby shogun » January 2nd, 2017, 8:04 pm

eliteauto wrote:Also if you can get a copy of Anthony Sabga's book " A will and a way" it makes for good reading


Will do...

R3TROB3N
Riding on 13's
Posts: 14
Joined: April 9th, 2018, 10:48 am

Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby R3TROB3N » April 16th, 2018, 7:31 am

Just reading some posts from the forums so I say lemme run with something. So to start the discussion is it still valid for young people to do a degree in Trinidad And Tobago(or anyone in general) or they should try other avenues such as, starting a business, doing a trade, forex, hustling, farming, online businesses, Tutoring/Mentoring, Crypto ETC.

Do share your feedback and opinions as I want this to be a FULLY FEATURED THREAD for anyone whom want to know what are their possible LEGAL options in life, regards to staying afloat and thriving in life in our small Banana Republic that is Trinidad And Tobago.

To start it off I believe for people who very knowledgeable in a skill, offering a online training course (SkillShare/Linda) or even mentoring is a valid option to bring in extra revenue.

Sundar
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1328
Joined: July 5th, 2012, 12:33 pm
Location: Rock Road
Contact:

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby Sundar » April 16th, 2018, 7:59 am

My opinion trade have money. But everyone want easy money.

User avatar
The_Honourable
punchin NOS
Posts: 4174
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Location: Land of Stupidity and Corruption

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby The_Honourable » April 16th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Education up to secondary level is important but it needs to be reformed. Tertiary level you have to be sure on your choices to get a job which many find out the hard way when it's time to go in the job market. That being said, don't be naive to think that one stream of income is enough. It will be enough if you are single and have no mortgage.

Network Marketing is good but pyramid schemes and dishonesty runs amok especially for the past 12 years in T&T.

Forex and Crypto are also good but just like network marketing, dishonesty and schemes are at play right now.

Farming is a good option but there are poor support systems to keep it alive and people nowadays don't want to plant. Easier to use the land to build real estate.

Tutoring/Mentoring is a very good option. Should be looked into.

Can't go wrong opening a business... but you have to satisfy a need and have some form of competitive advantage which many people miss. I'm seeing some being brash especially in the network marketing side opening a "group of companies" calling themselves entrepreneurs hoping to be the next Sabga yet they are financially in the red. If you are selling Nutralite and calling yourself an entrepreneur because you read a Robert Kiyosaki book (his books are good), you are deluding yourself. The real entrepreneurs are the ones who own nutralite/amway and the 1st set of people who started the business in a country.

Once you have a skill, hustling is good. Developing your skills and being honest with your customers will be jackpot down the road.

User avatar
urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1031
Joined: July 28th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby urbandilema » May 22nd, 2018, 2:07 am

The_Honourable wrote:Education up to secondary level is important but it needs to be reformed. Tertiary level you have to be sure on your choices to get a job which many find out the hard way when it's time to go in the job market. That being said, don't be naive to think that one stream of income is enough. It will be enough if you are single and have no mortgage.

Network Marketing is good but pyramid schemes and dishonesty runs amok especially for the past 12 years in T&T.

Forex and Crypto are also good but just like network marketing, dishonesty and schemes are at play right now.

Farming is a good option but there are poor support systems to keep it alive and people nowadays don't want to plant. Easier to use the land to build real estate.

Tutoring/Mentoring is a very good option. Should be looked into.

Can't go wrong opening a business... but you have to satisfy a need and have some form of competitive advantage which many people miss. I'm seeing some being brash especially in the network marketing side opening a "group of companies" calling themselves entrepreneurs hoping to be the next Sabga yet they are financially in the red. If you are selling Nutralite and calling yourself an entrepreneur because you read a Robert Kiyosaki book (his books are good), you are deluding yourself. The real entrepreneurs are the ones who own nutralite/amway and the 1st set of people who started the business in a country.

Once you have a skill, hustling is good. Developing your skills and being honest with your customers will be jackpot down the road.
Trade keeps the business running but then again how many tradesmen honest and some of the lazy ones give problems...

User avatar
urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1031
Joined: July 28th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby urbandilema » May 22nd, 2018, 2:08 am

Or btw anyone does do real estate what's the basics to learn that in trinidad

Kevin_45
Street 2NR
Posts: 56
Joined: June 22nd, 2010, 10:30 pm

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby Kevin_45 » May 22nd, 2018, 3:02 am

While attaining a Degree brings with it a higher level of education I think it might be better off to start with a diploma if you want to go that route, because companies not hiring as much as of now and people with lower qualifications/ Smaller salaries would be hired more easily than someone with a degree that demands a higher pay. That said becoming an entrepreneur would be ideal it is up to you to research your target market and decided how can you provide solutions/better service and what not to attract customers.

RedVEVO
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5112
Joined: March 8th, 2017, 1:05 am

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby RedVEVO » May 22nd, 2018, 3:38 am

Stay in school .

Get a good education.

Gate is still FREE .

Eventually start a business when young .

Live a good clean life .

The " Key is Persistence. "

apole69
Street 2NR
Posts: 34
Joined: February 20th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby apole69 » May 22nd, 2018, 6:34 am

At this point in time agriculture is a viable option. Don't think about back breaking work in the hot sun ; technology has taken agriculture far away from those days. Think about all the imported produce which can be easily grown locally eg. Cauliflowerr, Kale Bell peppers, lettuce celery stalks etc.
Carrots and Beets can be grown locally. Think about the foreign exchange which can be earned by exporting our Hot Peppers esp. Scorpion & Moruga Red .great potential here |

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 21577
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 22nd, 2018, 6:53 am

apole69 wrote:At this point in time agriculture is a viable option. Don't think about back breaking work in the hot sun ; technology has taken agriculture far away from those days. Think about all the imported produce which can be easily grown locally eg. Cauliflowerr, Kale Bell peppers, lettuce celery stalks etc.
Carrots and Beets can be grown locally. Think about the foreign exchange which can be earned by exporting our Hot Peppers esp. Scorpion & Moruga Red .great potential here |


No . Not in trinidad...agriculture in trinidad is bs...people in authority only studying oil and gas and well clear down land to build house...

Sundar
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1328
Joined: July 5th, 2012, 12:33 pm
Location: Rock Road
Contact:

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby Sundar » May 22nd, 2018, 7:06 am

Nobody wants to sweat even for their own good

apole69
Street 2NR
Posts: 34
Joined: February 20th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby apole69 » May 22nd, 2018, 7:36 am

The politicians only pay lip service and provide sound bites which they hope make the 7 o clock news. There are real people out there who are actually in the trenches doing the business on a daily basis. Visit the wholesale markets and see the vast quantity of high quality produce being offered for sale .

User avatar
silent_riot
punchin NOS
Posts: 4494
Joined: December 26th, 2004, 11:40 pm
Location: Pumpitating
Contact:

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby silent_riot » May 22nd, 2018, 9:24 am

Diversify yourself and make the extra effort.

Have more than one income stream, for e.g. an 8-4 and a business that you are starting up.

Study a market, find buyers before investing. Go meet people, ask them all the questions you have and use them as research.

Prepare for several failures, fight down and complaints from family and friends.

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 21577
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 22nd, 2018, 10:26 am

sure second income ventures:

build apartments and rent it...
a good rum shop
a good food place

these 3 things will always survive in Trinidad

bluefete
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6074
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby bluefete » May 22nd, 2018, 11:09 am

^ A Funeral Home. People deading everyday!

User avatar
crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10955
Joined: April 21st, 2003, 9:41 am

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby crazybalhead » May 22nd, 2018, 11:39 am

We as a people need to stop calling entrepreneurship "hustling".

It takes away from legitimate ideas and limits your scope.

User avatar
88sins
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5243
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 3:03 pm
Location: Corner of Everywhere Avenue & Nowhere Drive

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby 88sins » May 22nd, 2018, 12:23 pm

op, lemme put it like this
a lot of ppl get a degree, with teh idea in mind that it will net them a job that pays a lot of money. but what they don't consider is what happens if the field in which they have the degree is saturated & they can't a job that easily. A degree kinda useless if you can't find a job to utilize the skills you learned in theory in school.

If a person is good with their hands AND brains, a trade isn't a bad option as an alternative to a degree. And depending on what their skill set is, a trade that you start as a part time side income thing or hobby can be turned into a business very easily, depending on how hard you want to work at making it a business of course. Plenty ppl do this on a regular basis.
Of those you mentioned farming have good money in it & a person could make a god living doing it once they established themselves & their routines, but be forewarned it have real plenty work, expense, headache & risk to get started in it before you see enough returns to break even or even make you feel like it worth the effort. Only hard working, tenacious & patient ppl make it as farmers, crops or livestock alike.
You mentioned tutoring/mentoring. It really don't have much of a profitable market for that here outside the bigger more established institutions.

Anybody asks me this kinda question I tell them all the same thing, just get a job to start. Any job, it doesn't matter what it might be, as long as it earns you at least enough to keep you fed, clothed & housed. If you could save something from it better still. Then study what you good at (if anything at all), and see how you could turn that into a side business, then gradually turn that side business into a full time business.
& yes I said it, (if yuh good at anything at all) cuz some ppl eh good at nuttn more than wasting God good air & space. Productivity is against dey religion, & if yuh tell dem to work hard & sacrifice to get what they want is like u tell dem to kill deyself or yuh cuss dey mudda.
Short story shorter, only you could know what you good at & how hard you willing to push yuhself to make it out here.

randolphinshan
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1086
Joined: November 20th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby randolphinshan » May 22nd, 2018, 2:26 pm

88sins wrote:op, lemme put it like this
a lot of ppl get a degree, with teh idea in mind that it will net them a job that pays a lot of money. but what they don't consider is what happens if the field in which they have the degree is saturated & they can't a job that easily. A degree kinda useless if you can't find a job to utilize the skills you learned in theory in school.

If a person is good with their hands AND brains, a trade isn't a bad option as an alternative to a degree. And depending on what their skill set is, a trade that you start as a part time side income thing or hobby can be turned into a business very easily, depending on how hard you want to work at making it a business of course. Plenty ppl do this on a regular basis.
Of those you mentioned farming have good money in it & a person could make a god living doing it once they established themselves & their routines, but be forewarned it have real plenty work, expense, headache & risk to get started in it before you see enough returns to break even or even make you feel like it worth the effort. Only hard working, tenacious & patient ppl make it as farmers, crops or livestock alike.
You mentioned tutoring/mentoring. It really don't have much of a profitable market for that here outside the bigger more established institutions.

Anybody asks me this kinda question I tell them all the same thing, just get a job to start. Any job, it doesn't matter what it might be, as long as it earns you at least enough to keep you fed, clothed & housed. If you could save something from it better still. Then study what you good at (if anything at all), and see how you could turn that into a side business, then gradually turn that side business into a full time business.
& yes I said it, (if yuh good at anything at all) cuz some ppl eh good at nuttn more than wasting God good air & space. Productivity is against dey religion, & if yuh tell dem to work hard & sacrifice to get what they want is like u tell dem to kill deyself or yuh cuss dey mudda.
Short story shorter, only you could know what you good at & how hard you willing to push yuhself to make it out here.


Amen breddo. Lock thread now.

User avatar
teems1
12 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2256
Joined: March 15th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Re: Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby teems1 » May 22nd, 2018, 2:51 pm

crazybalhead wrote:We as a people need to stop calling entrepreneurship "hustling".

It takes away from legitimate ideas and limits your scope.


Likewise, people in MLM pyramid schemes need to stop referring to themselves as entrepreneurs.

Amway, Herbalife, Organo Gold, Avon, Paycation etc need to be properly labelled as pyramid schemes.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Redman and 34 guests