Forums

Race car runs into spectators at Wallerfield

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

oro
Ricer

Re: Race car runs into spectators at Wallerfield

Postby oro » July 24th, 2016, 9:12 pm

i hear 5injured and 2 critical. Also both drivers are distraught and a are messed up after.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » July 24th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Why did the ASN allow stands to be put there? Always pushing for stricter standards for driver safety but they let this happen?

civicious
Street 2NR

Re: RE: Re: Race car runs into spectators at Wallerfield

Postby civicious » July 24th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Morpheus wrote:This morning I made the comment that I did not like where those stands were situated. Not at the end of a high speed section . Too many "What ifs?" there. Not wise to put that there at all imo.......

Hope everyone recovers.

Really put a damper on an otherwise great event.

Same thing i saying. Ive noticed whilst racing on the track as well that some people like to even walk up to edge of that corner. Beside being a distraction for racers, its extremely hazardous at that spot because everyone is trying to get max speed before that hairpin. They should change the angle of that stand and put proper barriers far back so people cant go up close. Maybe a wire fence like the top corner?

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » July 24th, 2016, 9:21 pm

This is what you get when you ignore and do not consult with the proper authorities, because everyone thinks they know about health and safety.

oro
Ricer

Postby oro » July 24th, 2016, 9:23 pm

to me it seems safety was lacking in general. Imagine TTASA makes it optional for a driver to wear a hans device. I dont think drags have any requirements for that. Only the rally club made it mandatory for hans device. The swift in the previous group 3 race had also spin out and nearly knock down the marshals.

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » July 24th, 2016, 9:27 pm

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/fou ... -onlookers

CNC3 - Four people were seriously injured as a car travelling at high speed at the Wallerfield racing course, smashed into a crowd of onlookers after going airborne.

The accident occurred this afternoon during one of the final races of the Caribbean Motor Racing Championships.

Video of the accident uploaded online, shows one of the vehicles slamming into the barrier and running off the course at the Frankie Boodram Racing Facility, stopping some distance away from the crowd.

SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO

Moments after, another car coming behind, left the track at the same position and went airborne before slamming into the crowd of onlookers.

At least one woman ended trapped under the vehicle as frantic spectators rushed to lift the vehicle.

Four people including the driver were rushed to hospital suffering from various serious injuries.

Three were taken to the Arima hospital while the woman who was caught under the vehicle has been rushed to the Mount Hope hospital for emergency treatment.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » July 24th, 2016, 9:29 pm

Sigh...

Need to get serious. I smh at the Lolly man walking on the track side of the tirewall to get to that very stand while cars were on the starting grid.

Flavorite haffi sell yo.....

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » July 24th, 2016, 9:32 pm

I hope everyone is ok.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » July 24th, 2016, 9:38 pm

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » July 24th, 2016, 9:41 pm

It's good to see the quick thinking by onlookers to get the car off the spectators it landed on. That fast response could have saved their lives. So sad to see this happen though, I know motor racing is growing slowing in Trinidad and gaining further public acceptance. Hope this does not set it back

Reez100
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Reez100 » July 24th, 2016, 9:41 pm

Dunno how the LLUMAR management decided to put a stand there and how TTASA approved it

civicious
Street 2NR

Postby civicious » July 24th, 2016, 9:43 pm

So the swift man lost brakes or lost focus? Anybody know?

JF.K
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby JF.K » July 24th, 2016, 9:43 pm

"I am titaaaniiium..."
The car then said... "eh heh..."

But seriously... hope persons involved recovers soon.

TriP
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TriP » July 24th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Reez100
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Reez100 » July 24th, 2016, 9:47 pm

they were fixing brakes before the races

eaw_375
Street 2NR

Postby eaw_375 » July 24th, 2016, 9:54 pm

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 24th, 2016, 10:00 pm

Hope everyone is ok...

Could also imagine how may trinis miles away who faking injury...

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » July 24th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Damn, airborne vehicle?

That could have been so much worse. Speedy recovery to the injured

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 24th, 2016, 10:49 pm

Morpheus wrote:This morning I made the comment that I did not like where those stands were situated. Not at the end of a high speed section . Too many "What ifs?" there. Not wise to put that there at all imo.......

^^ this

management need to understand that u dont put safety measures to accommodate things going right, u need them for if they go wrong. and u have to extrapolate and see them going even more wrong.
and this is any management of any organization, cause i saw that as a common thread to validate no extra work or expenditure.

boosted_wrx
3NE 2NR for life

Postby boosted_wrx » July 24th, 2016, 10:57 pm

You know I never saw any Motorsport event with spectators being placed at the entry of a hairpin especially where there is a rubber barricade, smh, Trinidad really sets standards for safety, it turns into a money making industry at the expense of others life. I wish those injured a speedy recovery and I hope proper measures will be made next time, to prevent anyone else for getting hurt.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » July 24th, 2016, 11:05 pm

^^I wouldn't even call those tires a barricade. 1 row deep and maybe 4 high? Really? Tire shops have more old tires than that placed outside.

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Postby trini mk5 » July 24th, 2016, 11:09 pm

Some years ago (2012 i think) there was the rally event down in brian lara stadium car park, and i pointed out in this same forum that the placement of the porta potty was literally on the apex of a corner. Needless to say, i was abused for pointing out this stupid placement even with photo and video evidence. So It was only a matter of time before major accidents occur at wallers given;
1) How frequently events take place there now
2) How little emphasis is place on HSE at these events.
Hope the people injured recover and are given some compensation for that drastic oversight by the organisers.
Last edited by trini mk5 on July 24th, 2016, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » July 24th, 2016, 11:10 pm

In all this talk. Who was the driver and is he ok?

I wish him a speedy recovery too. Physically and mentally. That type of sheit could mess with you.....

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » July 24th, 2016, 11:18 pm

The driver is david lyons. Really cool dude and one of the few drivers who trains for days before an event. David knows that track well. Ive had the pleasure of practicing with him and he knows that course well. So its gotta be oil on track or brake failure

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: RE: Race car runs into spectators at Wallerfield

Postby Team Loco » July 24th, 2016, 11:19 pm

boosted_wrx wrote:You know I never saw any Motorsport event with spectators being placed at the entry of a hairpin especially where there is a rubber barricade, smh, Trinidad really sets standards for safety, it turns into a money making industry at the expense of others life. I wish those injured a speedy recovery and I hope proper measures will be made next time, to prevent anyone else for getting hurt.

Lets not be too harse on the org as a whole. It was a stupid idea to put those tents there. However safety on a whole at the events have improved alot

boosted_wrx
3NE 2NR for life

Postby boosted_wrx » July 24th, 2016, 11:32 pm

Team Loco wrote:
boosted_wrx wrote:You know I never saw any Motorsport event with spectators being placed at the entry of a hairpin especially where there is a rubber barricade, smh, Trinidad really sets standards for safety, it turns into a money making industry at the expense of others life. I wish those injured a speedy recovery and I hope proper measures will be made next time, to prevent anyone else for getting hurt.

Lets not be too harse on the org as a whole. It was a stupid idea to put those tents there. However safety on a whole at the events have improved alot

True true, after all they are making Motorsport in Trinidad and mistakes do happen, I hope they learn from it, we all shouldn't fight it down but work as a team as the Motorsport enthusiast to keep the sport growing, just hope this don't keep back any growth

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » July 24th, 2016, 11:34 pm

You think the rest of population including Eteck aren't gonna be harsh on them? Hope the injured have quick recoveries and we don't have any repercussions regarding the use of the track coming out of this.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » July 25th, 2016, 12:11 am

Went across to assist medically after the incident. I'll leave my personal opinion of some of the officers first aid capability out, but a few must be commended. The surrounding spectators were particularly compliant and should be praised.

They were all stable going into the ambulances. Of course these things can quickly change, but I hope they recover soon. The two tent poles saved many more from being injured.

I'll echo those complaining about the position of the stand. That was the first thing we noted on arrival this morning - the stand had been shifted left from its usual position, leaving it directly in the line of cars coming off the back straight. We all thought that was stupid, with protection being even worse.

Those of you who remember cmrc 2 years ago would know the stand was on the other side, and while many cars ran wide, no one was concerned as they were never in line with the patrons.

Of note, the driver of the swift ran wide at that turn several times over his races, so I do think some investigation is warranted there. Unfortunate that an event where safety and organization was well arranged otherwise will be overshadowed by this incident. Let's hope it doesn't set Motorsport back a few years.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » July 25th, 2016, 12:17 am

^^Exactly. The event was great up to that point...

mark2.0
Riding on 17's

Postby mark2.0 » July 25th, 2016, 12:33 am

Son wanted to go today, wasn't feeling up to it...

So yuh know races on hold until eteck do all their investigations.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”