Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Trinispougla
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby Trinispougla » May 2nd, 2019, 2:20 pm

88sins wrote:
ADONI wrote:Soon enough we will be paying first world taxes, for third world returns...

wouldn't be that bad if it end up that way. we already paying 1st world taxes for zero returns right now anyway.

hahahahaha.....yuh joking right. TT paying less than third world taxes brother. When 45%-49% of your salary goes into taxes....like the belgiums and sweedens and finlands that u guys love to mention, then you are paying first world taxes

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm

I wish it had more transparency into the average property taxes to be paid in certain areas which were already calculated.

There are thousands which have already been done, and the figures even in the upscale areas are much less than you'd think. In a lot of the areas removed from densely populated locations, unless you have a very large house, it struggling to cross the minimum ARV and will thus be brought up to the minimum.

If you want to know what the minimum is, just search around for past newspaper articles from ~1 year ago using google.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 2nd, 2019, 6:08 pm

the minimum arv for buildings as stated by clown inbutt was 18K, supposedly 1500/month, & the tax on that was said to be approximately 480 P.A.
Proton, I seriously doubt what you saying about houses in rural areas, seeing what property rentals are going for, even using the outdated data they using. We also have to remember, they valuing arv of the land as well as the house. and many properties in those rural areas, even though the house might not be substantial in size, the lands tied to those houses are often worth more than the houses.

there's a lot of people especially in south, with plenty under utilized lands that aren't planted with anything so they aren't even supposed to be classed as agricultural properties. those people go feel it.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 2nd, 2019, 6:40 pm

88sins wrote:the minimum arv for buildings as stated by clown inbutt was 18K, supposedly 1500/month, & the tax on that was said to be approximately 480 P.A.
Proton, I seriously doubt what you saying about houses in rural areas, seeing what property rentals are going for, even using the outdated data they using. We also have to remember, they valuing arv of the land as well as the house. and many properties in those rural areas, even though the house might not be substantial in size, the lands tied to those houses are often worth more than the houses.

there's a lot of people especially in south, with plenty under utilized lands that aren't planted with anything so they aren't even supposed to be classed as agricultural properties. those people go feel it.
Suffer non PNM ppl suffer

Non PNM ppl tax in yuh MC

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 2nd, 2019, 6:54 pm

88sins wrote:the minimum arv for buildings as stated by clown inbutt was 18K, supposedly 1500/month, & the tax on that was said to be approximately 480 P.A.

For those with large acreages of agriculturals with a house on it, it is classed as homestead. One lot from the acreage goes as residential and the house ARV will be calculated, while for the rest of the agricultural land, the tax is calculated as 1% of 90% of 2% of the capital value of the agricultural land and any agricultural buildings thereon. If the agricultural land is worth $1m the tax will be calculated as $180.00

http://rgd.legalaffairs.gov.tt/laws2/al ... /58.03.pdf
page 22 for ARV calculation

http://rgd.legalaffairs.gov.tt/laws2/al ... /76.04.pdf
page 27 for tax calculation

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 2nd, 2019, 8:14 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:

For those with large acreages of agriculturals with a house on it, it is classed as homestead. One lot from the acreage goes as residential and the house ARV will be calculated, while for the rest of the agricultural land, the tax is calculated as 1% of 90% of 2% of the capital value of the agricultural land and any agricultural buildings thereon. If the agricultural land is worth $1m the tax will be calculated as $180.00

page 27 for tax calculation[/quote
And what happens with those ppl living on a small section of the lands they own and have large expanses of lands that are NOT used for agriculture?

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 2nd, 2019, 9:15 pm

88sins wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

And what happens with those ppl living on a small section of the lands they own and have large expanses of lands that are NOT used for agriculture?

You made a realistic scenario and I explained exactly why the tax is not inequitable. Now you coming with a really stupid one.

Yes. The poor, scared directors of Palmiste Estates and Maruni Enterprises, in whose asset portfolios dozens of plots of vacant land sit. I, for one, tremble at the thought of it.

Poor Coosal, in whose asset portfolios sit vast swathes of light industrial property.

Poor proprieters and money launderers, in whose asset portfolios sit dozens of plots of commercial land bought and cleared for triple market value for no other reason than to burn some liquid money.

Come better than that nah.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 3rd, 2019, 7:24 am

ProtonPowder wrote:
88sins wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

You made a realistic scenario and I explained exactly why the tax is not inequitable. Now you coming with a really stupid one.

Yes. The poor, scared directors of Palmiste Estates and Maruni Enterprises, in whose asset portfolios dozens of plots of vacant land sit. I, for one, tremble at the thought of it.

Poor Coosal, in whose asset portfolios sit vast swathes of light industrial property.

Poor proprieters and money launderers, in whose asset portfolios sit dozens of plots of commercial land bought and cleared for triple market value for no other reason than to burn some liquid money.

Come better than that nah.

Just as I suspected, you in fact a tripe threat. You are dense, dunce & dotish.
As a matter of fact, I presented the exact same scenario in both my posts. Because you might think you replied to my post, but you in fact did not. so I put it differently for your simple mind to understand. You answered a question I never asked about ppl living in homes on vast expanses of agricultural lands. I mentioned ppl living on vast expanses of lands that are not planted and are NOT agricultural lands.

But never mind, you need not respond to this post since I already have the answer I was looking for.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 3rd, 2019, 6:05 pm

88sins wrote:Just as I suspected, you in fact a tripe threat. You are dense, dunce & dotish.
As a matter of fact, I presented the exact same scenario in both my posts. Because you might think you replied to my post, but you in fact did not. so I put it differently for your simple mind to understand. You answered a question I never asked about ppl living in homes on vast expanses of agricultural lands. I mentioned ppl living on vast expanses of lands that are not planted and are NOT agricultural lands.

But never mind, you need not respond to this post since I already have the answer I was looking for.

It's because I answered it on the second response.

Now i read your response and wondered why someone would get so angry on the internet. Quick to run to insults.

The basis of your hollow rhetoric is that for some ungodly reason, someone would have a single house built on a large expanse of industrial or commercial lands. If a piece of single use residential land is >1A, chances are its actually agricultural. If is >1A only the house is valued unless the ARV resulting from capital value of the land is more, such as when a tiny house is built on expensive land. And just because agricultural land is not planted, doesnt mean it isnt agricultural.

Maybe you can try to take another hollow jab. You remind me of PEA with that anger.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 3rd, 2019, 7:16 pm

me? angry? at you? :lol: son, try to wrap your mind around this.

you might be important to someone somewhere, but you're not important enough to me to make me angry.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 3rd, 2019, 7:59 pm

88sins wrote:me? angry? at you? :lol: son, try to wrap your mind around this.

you might be important to someone somewhere, but you're not important enough to me to make me angry.

All that anger, and now backtracking. The belittling language too, it pretty telling.

Take it easy on yourself man. If you have dreams of losing your teeth, you grinding them in your sleep. Unresolved anger can kill you slowly.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 3rd, 2019, 10:49 pm

proton, your emotions, they just run you don't they lol.
But I don't get why u so sensitive tho, about me stating a very true and extremely easy to understand fact that you are of no importance to me. I strongly recommend that address that sensitivity issue before it manifests in physical changes like lactation and menstruation :lol:

btw, I don't backtrack, backpedal, reverse, retract or however you'd like to say it. If I make an error, I own it and if need be apologize accordingly. However, in this instance I'm not inclined to do either, because I'm still of the firm impression you're dense, dunce and dotish. And you may not comprehend this, but me thinking and openly stating what I think about you doesn't equate to me being angry, it just means I think you're an idiot.

anyway, have a happy Friday.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 3rd, 2019, 10:52 pm

88sins wrote:proton, your emotions, they just run you don't they lol.
But I don't get why u so sensitive tho, about me stating a very true and extremely easy to understand fact that you are of no importance to me. I strongly recommend that address that sensitivity issue before it manifests in physical changes like lactation and menstruation

btw, I don't backtrack, backpedal, reverse, retract or however you'd like to say it. If I make an error, I own it and if need be apologize accordingly. However, in this instance I'm not inclined to do either, because I'm still of the firm impression you're dense, dunce and dotish. And you may not comprehend this, but me thinking and openly stating what I think about you doesn't equate to me being angry, it just means I think you're an idiot.

This is some serious

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 3rd, 2019, 11:28 pm

88sins wrote:proton, your emotions, they just run you don't they lol.
But I don't get why u so sensitive tho, about me stating a very true and extremely easy to understand fact that you are of no importance to me. I strongly recommend that address that sensitivity issue before it manifests in physical changes like lactation and menstruation :lol:

Some real projection going on here. While you saying that I sensitive, you act the exact way you accuse me of acting. In one of the few threads where responses coming through and citing laws and calculations, you calling names to the poster.

I have yet to see you respond to the point i made to your question.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » May 14th, 2019, 8:24 pm

West: Government does not anticipate Property Tax being due this year

Minister in the Ministry of Finance, Allyson West, says Government does not anticipate Property Tax being due this year as valuations are still progressing slowly while they await the outcome of the matter that is currently before the courts.

While Minister Colm Imbert announced a tax amnesty for three months, yesterday there was no word on the due date for property tax payments.

In 2017, the Ministry of Finance put out a press release requesting property owners to complete and submit valuation forms along with relevant documents.

But that was challenged by activist Devant Maharaj and a legal team led by former AG Anand Ramlogan.

They filed for judicial review saying the request was illegal based on Section 6 of the Valuations of Land Act.

But almost one year later Government won the matter in the High Court. Justice Jacqueline Wilson said she believed that the request to submit property details was voluntary.

The Valuations Commission was then ordered to publish notices in the daily newspapers informing the public that the submission process is voluntary.

The matter is now pending to be heard in the Appeal Court.

Meanwhile, Colm Imbert had previously assured citizens that homeowners would not be required to make retroactive payments on Property Tax.

Source: http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/wes ... g-due-year

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 14th, 2019, 8:42 pm

I find Devant taking long to appeal this case jed. Was legit hoping that it would reach the JCPC by now.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 14th, 2019, 9:19 pm

after so many years of no property tax being paid or collected, I want everyone honest opinion

if they were to repeal the property tax act and abolish property tax entirely. who here would be against that? keeping in mind that there's no way to tell what those monies will be used for or if it will benefit you or your community in any way, ever.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » May 14th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Would not be against it but i'm pretty sure government will raise taxes somewhere to recoup that loss of revenue per year.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 14th, 2019, 9:56 pm

That is the problem, there is no accountability of monies used.
It is different pockets of the same pants being worn.

Note imps still ain't put in a proper casino tax regulation scheme after 5 years of ol talk
Man just don't want to touch the 1%

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 14th, 2019, 10:05 pm

well, an increase in some other type of tax to "recover" what "revenue" they not getting from it would still be acceptable to a large degree.

ppl with limited income wouldn't be at risk of losing their homes, and nobody would be a tenant of the state even after spending hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars to buy or build their own homes and not depending on the state for housing.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 14th, 2019, 10:24 pm

I would be against it because of the indirect effects.

No property tax= no incentive for a central property database or database of real property or register of deeds. Both these things being worked on at present to tie into the same purpose. Next time you buying land and wondering why the title search taking so long, give this a thought.

When you realise that TnT's global rank in land registry's robustness is 151st in the world, out of 187, you might realise that this was an attempt in the right direction.
http://www.instituteofsurveyors.com/ow/blogs/2

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 15th, 2019, 2:30 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:I would be against it because of the indirect effects.

[u]No property tax= no incentive for a central property database or database of real property or register of deeds. ]Both these things being worked on at present to tie into the same purpose. Next time you buying land and wondering why the title search taking so long, give this a thought.[/u

When you realise that TnT's global rank in land registry's robustness is 151st in the world, out of 187, you might realise that this was an attempt in the right direction.

you saying that the tens and hundreds of thousand of dollars in stamp duty ppl does be paying to transfer properties, ISN'T an incentive to keep a central property database? This, as opposed to the proposed minimum $480/year they might board ppl for in property tax? Where you get that idea? So when a man buying a property & he gets hit with a stamp duty fee of $250K, what exactly he paying that for? just for paying it sake? Property tax here is just a way for crooked politicians to bleed more out of ppl pockets in the long run, for doing basically nothing. Simple as that. Because come hell or high water, if they were to implement it and collect it in full for the next decade, we'd still be going through the exact same kaka we going through today. It will be diverted elsewhere,and not gonna benefit the property or it's community in any way.
When they first proposed this, the talk was that collected taxes would go to the go to fund the regional corporations for the areas where they were paid & other local gov't bodies in those areas, so that those organizations need not lean so hard on the central govt for funding to operate. You remember that? That was one of the main selling points to justify this property tax, claiming it would then free up monies that could be better used elsewhere, & it was the primary reasons for all the yappage about 'local govt reform' some years back. Notice not a soul h even whispering anything about 'local gov't reform' lately?
The low ranking of our local land registry has less to do with property taxes & more to do with ppl failing to transfer properties in a timely manner, errors wrt dimensions as well as on documentation such as deeds & cadastral sheets hat occurred over time, among several other factors.

As regards title searches, long is a subjective term eh. Some take months, others take weeks, & others take days. & theres multiple reasons for this that have absolutely nothing to do with property tax. One of which is so many deeds that were hand written and are now so old that they in a condition where the writings on them are barely discernible, some pages torn, & yet even others missing. Another reason being lazy search clerks, (btw, there's times when a lil motivation goes a long way). Another reason being so many racket deeds being registered, so one property would appear to have multiple individual owners at the same time, creating chaos, so each has to be back tracked & the original source documents found & followed from there. & there still more, but I've already made my point.

But all that aside, if it were up to me. I personally would dispose of property tax altogether. yes, they go come up with some other hare brained idea to fleece the populace. but at the very least, when a person spends hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to buy or build a property, they won't be a tenant of the state and at the mercy of a merciless wrinkle faced albino minion

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 15th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Proton, only wants to secure his goverment job. He probably being paid by PNM for PR on tuner like all the rest .

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 15th, 2019, 4:44 pm

88sins wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:I would be against it because of the indirect effects.

[u]No property tax= no incentive for a central property database or database of real property or register of deeds. ]Both these things being worked on at present to tie into the same purpose. Next time you buying land and wondering why the title search taking so long, give this a thought.[/u

you saying that the tens and hundreds of thousand of dollars in stamp duty ppl does be paying to transfer properties, ISN'T an incentive to keep a central property database? This, as opposed to the proposed minimum $480/year they might board ppl for in property tax? Where you get that idea? So when a man buying a property & he gets hit with a stamp duty fee of $250K, what exactly he paying that for? just for paying it sake? Property tax here is just a way for crooked politicians to bleed more out of ppl pockets in the long run, for doing basically nothing. Simple as that. Because come hell or high water, if they were to implement it and collect it in full for the next decade, we'd still be going through the exact same kaka we going through today. It will be diverted elsewhere,and not gonna benefit the property or it's community in any way.
When they first proposed this, the talk was that collected taxes would go to the go to fund the regional corporations for the areas where they were paid & other local gov't bodies in those areas, so that those organizations need not lean so hard on the central govt for funding to operate. You remember that? That was one of the main selling points to justify this property tax, claiming it would then free up monies that could be better used elsewhere, & it was the primary reasons for all the yappage about 'local govt reform' some years back. Notice not a soul h even whispering anything about 'local gov't reform' lately?
The low ranking of our local land registry has less to do with property taxes & more to do with ppl failing to transfer properties in a timely manner, errors wrt dimensions as well as on documentation such as deeds & cadastral sheets hat occurred over time, among several other factors.

As regards title searches, long is a subjective term eh. Some take months, others take weeks, & others take days. & theres multiple reasons for this that have absolutely nothing to do with property tax. One of which is so many deeds that were hand written and are now so old that they in a condition where the writings on them are barely discernible, some pages torn, & yet even others missing. Another reason being lazy search clerks, (btw, there's times when a lil motivation goes a long way). Another reason being so many racket deeds being registered, so one property would appear to have multiple individual owners at the same time, creating chaos, so each has to be back tracked & the original source documents found & followed from there. & there still more, but I've already made my point.

But all that aside, if it were up to me. I personally would dispose of property tax altogether. yes, they go come up with some other hare brained idea to fleece the populace. but at the very least, when a person spends hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to buy or build a property, they won't be a tenant of the state and at the mercy of a merciless wrinkle faced albino minion

Stamp duty is a tax levied on the transfer of interest in land, while property tax is levied based on possession of interest in land.

One requires updating at set intervals, and one requires updating only when an event occurs.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 15th, 2019, 8:31 pm

stamp duty is not based solely on the value of the land, but the definition you used is technically correct.
in any regard, allyuh remember when this property tax catastrophe was initially being discussed? do you recall during that time how every 6 seconds some politician kept yapping about "local government reform", and about how this new tax regime would be used to fund the regional corporations so they would be less dependant on central government funding? Notice, it's been years since any of them even whispered anything similar to what they were so passionate about when they were pushing this new tax regime.

this is not an accident, nor is it a coincidence.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 15th, 2019, 8:49 pm

88sins wrote:well, an increase in some other type of tax to "recover" what "revenue" they not getting from it would still be acceptable to a large degree.

ppl with limited income wouldn't be at risk of losing their homes, and nobody would be a tenant of the state even after spending hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars to buy or build their own homes and not depending on the state for housing.

After so many years in power, and abject failures like Sandals, you'd think there would be some learning taking place with respect to accountability and transparency with taxpayer funds. Things like garbage collection, roadway maintenance etc. have to be funded somehow, and IF the property tax could be seen to be doing so, then people like me would have no issue with it. You cannot expect me to entrust proven failures at managing an economy with my tax money into a Consolidated Fund, and "hope" or "trust" them to not steal it, or mismanage it.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 15th, 2019, 9:08 pm

88sins wrote:stamp duty is not based solely on the value of the land, but the definition you used is technically correct.
in any regard, allyuh remember when this property tax catastrophe was initially being discussed? do you recall during that time how every 6 seconds some politician kept yapping about "local government reform", and about how this new tax regime would be used to fund the regional corporations so they would be less dependant on central government funding? Notice, it's been years since any of them even whispered anything similar to what they were so passionate about when they were pushing this new tax regime.

this is not an accident, nor is it a coincidence.

They quiet because it is for now, a lost cause, and the property tax rearing its head in the courts again to be heard on appeal. I always remind people that this is what cost the pnm the election in 2010 and as stupid as they seem, they are not stupid enough to harp on at length about it to remind people of that.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 16th, 2019, 5:54 am

no matter what clown inbutt or chief toolum head say, let us all as grown adults be honest
nobody wants to risk losing what they worked hard to acquire for an opportunity to pay for getting nothing positive in return. & nobody anywhere ever actually wants to pay more taxes. & this is particularly true when they live on modest incomes and are fully well aware that for their additional tax dollars they will continue to see it being piddled away and not used to benefit them in any way, or that their tax dollars will be used to reduce taxation of corporations & the uber rich.

they hoping ppl forget, & they think not talking about it will allow them & their bs to slide under the radar. That eh go wuk tho.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 16th, 2019, 8:20 am

88sins wrote:no matter what clown inbutt or chief toolum head say, let us all as grown adults be honest
nobody wants to risk losing what they worked hard to acquire for an opportunity to pay for getting nothing positive in return. & nobody anywhere ever actually wants to pay more taxes. & this is particularly true when they live on modest incomes and are fully well aware that for their additional tax dollars they will continue to see it being piddled away and not used to benefit them in any way, or that their tax dollars will be used to reduce taxation of corporations & the uber rich.

they hoping ppl forget, & they think not talking about it will allow them & their bs to slide under the radar. That eh go wuk tho.

Careful, the self appointed 2NR Racist Police Squad, led by CoP shogun, and ACP Redman will not be pleased.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 16th, 2019, 9:18 am

De Dragon wrote:
88sins wrote:no matter what clown inbutt or chief toolum head say, let us all as grown adults be honest

Careful, the self appointed 2NR Racist Police Squad, led by CoP shogun, and ACP Redman will not be pleased.
You forgot eleit, the silent one

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”