Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby eliteauto » February 24th, 2011, 1:30 am

http://guardian.co.tt/news/2011/02/24/back-old-law

Hours after Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley broke news of the Government’s move to introduce and approve legislation to approve a new property tax bill, Legal Affairs Minister Prakash Ramadhar said he fully supported the initiative. Ramadhar had been among the leading critics of the Property Taxes Bill introduced by the former PNM government in 2009. Ramadhar said it was not true to say that the Government was reintroducing the property tax. “The property tax which they (PNM) envisaged, we have removed that.”

He was questioned by reporters during yesterday tea break of the House of Representatives sitting at the Red House in Port-of-Spain. He said the People’s Partnership Government was reverting to the law as it obtained before the property tax. Told that it was just a change of name as the two bills were very similar, Ramadhar quickly responded: “Not at all, not at all.”
Told that the new bill proposed a seven-and-a-half per cent rate of tax for residents as opposed to three per cent under the PNM bill, the Legal Affairs Minister said: “Well, I am saying that we are returning to what was there before, which the population had found comfort in and had found great fear in the legislation they brought. “That’s as simple as I could put it,” he insisted. Ramadhar, who is expected to speak in the debate, said he could not comment on the details of the People’s Partnership bill. “What I am saying is that we are returning to the original position.”

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby eliteauto » February 24th, 2011, 1:32 am

http://guardian.co.tt/news/2011/02/24/i ... ays-rowley

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley says the People’s Partnership Government is moving to approve a new property tax bill. Rowley, who called a news conference at his Charles Street office in Port-of- Spain yesterday to announce the development, declared: “This is a betrayal.” During the May 24, 2010, election campaign, the People’s Partnership was critical of moves by the then PNM government to revise and rename the tax and promised it would be abolished if they were elected to government.
The Congress of the People (COP), one unit in the People’s Partnership coalition, led an “axe-the-tax” campaign. Rowley said yesterday: “In the dead of night, on the eve of Carnival, the Government slips this bill (Lands and Buildings Taxes Act) into Parliament.” He said the People’s Partnership was elected to govern this country because of its election promise to abolish the tax. Since the PP assumed power, there has been an amnesty on the tax and residents have not been paying it.
Rowley said the taxes were necessary to assist in the development of the country. He said the new bill proposes to increase the tax by more than 100 per cent of what the former PNM government had proposed. Rowley, reading from the new bill, said residential property tax would increase from three per cent under the former government to seven-and-a-half per cent annually. He added that the bill contained a provision for the Minister of Finance to subsequently increase the tax by a further three per cent to ten per cent.
He described the move as “the worst betrayal that can happen in the political environment in T&T.” Rowley said the Kamla Persad-Bissessar administration had squandered its mandate. “As they have laid this before the Parliament, even before they debate or pass it, this Government has now destroyed its legitimacy in the eyes of the population,” he said. He added that the PP had “no moral basis to hold on to office in this country or to govern the people of this country.”
The Opposition Leader said whether it was called land and building tax or property tax, it is the same. He also said the bill proposed by the PP retained many of the provisions contained in the Property Tax Bill, including a provision to forfeit the property of non-paying residents. Rowley said under the former property tax, the University of the West Indies, the University of T&T, the University of the Southern Caribbean and cemeteries were exempt from the tax, but in the new bill only UWI was exempt. He said “under no circumstances” would the Opposition support the proposed legislation, which required a simple majority for passage.
He said the PNM was not saying the tax was not necessary, but was of the view “that this Government has no moral authority to take this action against the people.” Rowley said citizens of T&T should not allow themselves to be taxed until there were fresh elections. He said two years ago when citizens had jobs and the economy was stronger, they were told not to pay the three per cent tax. Former finance minister Karen Tesheira had predicted that the PP Government would have to bring property tax, even if it was called by another name.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » February 24th, 2011, 1:37 am

related articles in other newspapers:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PM_ ... 83663.html

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Pra ... 83658.html

is the tax by another name merely semantics? Poh-ta-to/Po-Tah-to ? Or are the differences enough to say Rowley blowing smoke?

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » February 24th, 2011, 6:18 am

The census people ask yuh how much yuh would rent yuh prperty for Elite???

SUPAstarr
punchin NOS

Postby SUPAstarr » February 24th, 2011, 6:32 am

"Well, I am saying that we are returning to what was there before"

the prime minister on news last night declared that they are repealin the property tax act, i call BS by Rowley until i see different. To me rowley is so ineffective, he lacks i dunno if credibility but he does not command my interest when he talks. PNM need to sort him out quick or get someone else/

turbosingh
punchin NOS

Postby turbosingh » February 24th, 2011, 6:49 am

crazybalhead wrote:The census people ask yuh how much yuh would rent yuh prperty for Elite???

The census lady ask meh to Measure all the rooms in my house per sq ft.So i ask her if this is to raise tax an she gave me a wicked smile.An i wuz like get the fack out of my place :?

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » February 24th, 2011, 7:44 am

crazybalhead wrote:The census people ask yuh how much yuh would rent yuh prperty for Elite???

yea they tried that shot on me, I gave her a low figure but I'm sure many "this area stush yuhnno" gave larger figures :?

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » February 24th, 2011, 7:51 am

i dont think they are goin back to the new property tax, but the reference he made to everyone will be comfortable is not comforting at all
my belief is they are going to raise the tax under the old laws
so we will still be paying more tax
fact is we a re losing revenue due to competing prices due to shale gas in the states
our main revenue is going down at a rpaid rate
oil is no longer where it used to be wrt our economy
unless we diversify expect to see taxes increasing across the board

RIPEBREDFRUIT
18 pounds of Boost

Postby RIPEBREDFRUIT » February 24th, 2011, 7:57 am

SUPAstarr wrote:"Well, I am saying that we are returning to what was there before"

the prime minister on news last night declared that they are repealin the property tax act, i call BS by Rowley until i see different. To me rowley is so ineffective, he lacks i dunno if credibility but he does not command my interest when he talks. PNM need to sort him out quick or get someone else/

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » February 24th, 2011, 7:58 am

eliteauto wrote:

yea they tried that shot on me, I gave her a low figure but I'm sure many "this area stush yuhnno" gave larger figures :?

The wifey hit them a "I don't know". The lady was like "Take a guess nar!!!! *teheee*", and she said, "Look, right there on the form, there is a box saying don't know, just tick that one and stop asking me, I told you I don't know."

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » February 24th, 2011, 7:59 am

Northern South America is going to be the new land of milk and honey. mark my words, GUYANA/SURINAME/FRENCH GUYANA TIME NOW

TRAE
punchin NOS

Postby TRAE » February 24th, 2011, 8:16 am

jhonnieblue wrote:i dont think they are goin back to the new property tax, but the reference he made to everyone will be comfortable is not comforting at all
my belief is they are going to raise the tax under the old laws
so we will still be paying more tax
fact is we a re losing revenue due to competing prices due to shale gas in the states
our main revenue is going down at a rpaid rate
oil is no longer where it used to be wrt our economy
unless we diversify expect to see taxes increasing across the board

that

BlueIce
punchin NOS

Postby BlueIce » February 24th, 2011, 8:23 am

lol guys i worked on the PTAX project and i am still employed under the ministry who is responsible for the project and all this sheit is just pure BS!!! i personally oversaw the scraping of multi-million dollar infrastructure put into place to support the PTAX system

so unless they gonna do it on paper ...lol this is jus normel bobol

PS : we are returning to the old land and builing tax

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 24th, 2011, 8:31 am

BlueIce wrote:lol guys i worked on the PTAX project and i am still employed under the ministry who is responsible for the project and all this sheit is just pure BS!!! i personally oversaw the scraping of multi-million dollar infrastructure put into place to support the PTAX system

There yuh have it.
Werd from the inside

thanks ice.

BlueIce
punchin NOS

Postby BlueIce » February 24th, 2011, 8:44 am

np
rowley really is an ass though, after reading all what he said and actually knowing the real truth i cant help but wonder why would he just get up one morning and say " ah gonna fcuk up kamla today , mek d pnmites rile up...nobuddy go know d truth neways"

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » February 24th, 2011, 8:46 am

Blueice, hook meh up with a gubment wuk nah dan???

HaRdCoRe_YoUtH
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby HaRdCoRe_YoUtH » February 24th, 2011, 8:50 am

All GOVERNMENT is the same....ah set ah failed promises!!!......Only studing money...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 24th, 2011, 9:06 am

if the property tax was modified to just be based on the square area of the land that u own and the purpose it was bought, it would be fair. like 5000 sq ft of residential land in freeport would be the same as the same in valsayn.

they should not tax u for any items on ur land like ur house or fencing because they did not help u buy it, u bought it with ur funds and paid the vat on it.

the old land and building taxes still isn't as fair, but at least it is not more than what we were doing.

i dont see why they have building taxes, u already paid income tax on the income u earn, and vat when u bought the materials and paid for labor so u hadda be taxed a third time for ur house???

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » February 24th, 2011, 9:43 am

AX THE TAX

whe d sheep?
2baa

playerskrew
Riding on 17's

Postby playerskrew » February 24th, 2011, 9:46 am

Allyuh doh watch news orr, kamla say no property tax, rowley only misleading the public...

White CZ4A
30 pounds of Boost

Postby White CZ4A » February 24th, 2011, 9:49 am

crazybalhead wrote:Northern South America is going to be the new land of milk and honey. mark my words, GUYANA/SURINAME/FRENCH GUYANA TIME NOW

doh hadda mark no words...
it happening all now!
I making a trip to d guyana soon to see if I could set up shop there.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » February 24th, 2011, 9:51 am

guyana FTW

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » February 24th, 2011, 10:40 am

BlueIce wrote:lol guys i worked on the PTAX project and i am still employed under the ministry who is responsible for the project and all this sheit is just pure BS!!! i personally oversaw the scraping of multi-million dollar infrastructure put into place to support the PTAX system

tr1ad wrote:AX THE TAX

whe d sheep?
2baa

how about one donkey?

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » February 24th, 2011, 10:48 am

take yuh time bez.....
yuh eh understand d inference

:lol:

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » February 24th, 2011, 10:50 am

:elephant: :elephant: :pokes:

geez man, couldn't help it, that was too easy :lol:

brainchild
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby brainchild » February 24th, 2011, 10:55 am

Smelter making a comeback next!

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » February 24th, 2011, 11:10 am

im very sure the PP wont make that mistake.......YET

5onDfloor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 5onDfloor » February 24th, 2011, 11:24 am

if they are indeed returning to what was already there then why the the need to pass legislation?

why not just enforce the law and start collecting?

PS. the Protax system is NOT dismantled.......everything is on paused just waiting to be resumed if need be.

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » February 24th, 2011, 11:30 am

BlueIce
punchin NOS

Postby BlueIce » February 24th, 2011, 11:46 am

5onDfloor wrote:if they are indeed returning to what was already there then why the the need to pass legislation?

why not just enforce the law and start collecting?

PS. the Protax system is NOT dismantled.......everything is on paused just waiting to be resumed if need be.

wow , it is a pity that you are mis informing the general public like this.

AGAIN : I worked on the PTAX project. I know every single thing on the project. When PP came into power the very next day they sent a letter to my office stating to DISMANTLE everything, and DISSOLVE THE ENTIRE UNIT( i laugh because i essentially voted myself out of a nice work lol). The office is closed , my position there has since been changed and myself as well as the entire team has since been split up into different ministries , all officers gave up every single thread of documents and its stored away for refernece on future projects, the entire multimillion dollar IT infrstruture that took two years to fully deploy has since been re-purposed for another project and the PTAX system cannot and fucntion without the core IT backbone at all.

if you know something i do not , please state your FACTS
Last edited by BlueIce on February 24th, 2011, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”