Forums

Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

drchaos
punchin NOS

Re: Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby drchaos » April 20th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Called the hotline ... As I have a empty lot of residential land. So I asked how the rental value of a piece of land with bush on itwould be calculated and he said it would be calculated from value of the land itself.

My land is worth the same as the guy next to me with a house on the land ... So I paying tax on land and grass while the guy next to me paying the same amount of tax on his house and land?

They have reduced rate for industrial without a building ... why not residential without a building as well?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 20th, 2017, 3:48 pm

See why a rental value is asinine concept?!

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » April 20th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:
Gem_in_i wrote:
pugboy wrote:i would assume there must be some valuation dispute procedure as well
Also who are the govt valuators ?
To my knowledge govt doesn't have any or at least in capacity to do nationwide property valuations
A monumental task.

If they gonna subcontract certified valuators.......$$$$$ to be made
Plus folks gonna want to do their own private valuations

There are Valuation Officers attached to the District Revenue Offices.
They do site visits when you transfer land, property etc.

Those valuation.officers take up to two years to come do a valuation

Nar boy. The PNM ready for we.
Is millions spent on the property tax system and they already have teams ready to go out for evaluation. They moving like road block and speed guns.

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » April 20th, 2017, 4:15 pm

drchaos wrote:Called the hotline ... As I have a empty lot of residential land. So I asked how the rental value of a piece of land with bush on itwould be calculated and he said it would be calculated from value of the land itself.

My land is worth the same as the guy next to me with a house on the land ... So I paying tax on land and grass while the guy next to me paying the same amount of tax on his house and land?

They have reduced rate for industrial without a building ... why not residential without a building as well?

The guy with the house suppose to be paying more. Something aint right there. That is good grounds to refuse to pay.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 20th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Yup, tax the middle class to death

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 20th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Red and readyyyy

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 20th, 2017, 4:33 pm

They way how government moving I running out of red dollars too :/

buckredan
3NE 2NR for life

Postby buckredan » April 20th, 2017, 4:34 pm

[attachment=0]IMG-20170419-WA0001.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG-20170419-WA0001.jpg

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » April 20th, 2017, 4:54 pm

So what about my gram grams who own her house outright but scraping by on pension?

Personally, I understand the need for a property tax. We live on a small island and land is therefore a limited resource. You don't want people buying up acres of land for their great grand kids in 100 years time just because they have money while you have young hardworking citizens that can't find a good place of their own that they need right now. The best thing would be a tiered model where no tax is paid if you own below a certain square footage. Similar concept to income tax where no tax is paid on first $72k annual income.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 20th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Don't know why tuners complaining . I warned you all about PNM, so take the BBC

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 20th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:So what about my gram grams who own her house outright but scraping by on pension?

Personally, I understand the need for a property tax. We live on a small island and land is therefore a limited resource. You don't want people buying up acres of land for their great grand kids in 100 years time just because they have money while you have young hardworking citizens that can't find a good place of their own that they need right now. The best thing would be a tiered model where no tax is paid if you own below a certain square footage. Similar concept to income tax where no tax is paid on first $72k annual income.

That is what I have been preaching since 2009 or when the first iteration of this injustice was proposed.

They not asking if ur means of income can accommodate the new taxes... all they are concerned with is the the perceived value is high therefore are entitled to take monies from u.

They assumed every body have big wuk and bought their properties via mortgages therefore can pay anything g they decree.

Check out this. one set of my family they have two persons eemployed as a seamstress and a grounds keeper.
The other two is on disability leave and and retrenchment.

They saved up all their lives to build the house.... the land was inherited when it was dog cheap.
They had lived simply wit belts tightened since good times,
Now u just want to tell them its curepe and the house nice so pay up.

Next family
Father is a handyman, mother laid off from royal bank.
One child is on ojt which will end soon with a degree, the second is still in Uwi, the third got sent home in a retrenchment rounds as he was a trainee.

They took a mortgage to build a house as it was easy because of the bank status. They are looking for things, but they are not about hustling, they are the middle class type.
They barely get along since the bank lay off a few years ago. And because they have a bigish house they have to find money for that.

Third.
Friend from school, working in a bank, rather got laid off from hdc, took a mortgage for the house, now they sell doubles on the week ends to make the mortgage payments, and bank salary can't pay that and support the household.
Now they have to scrape up money.

The the little resources guy had at the time, they elevated their living conditions, and will now be penalized for having ambition.

Government didn't help none of them to get what they have.
And are now being taxed for it.

Any body supporting the rental value and a valid means to calculate a tax, allyuh ain't know how the back stories of how Indian achieve what they acacheic u all just assume it's because they are rich. Things change,

This PNM is the second worst blight this nation have seen. the first was Eric Williams, forcing monkeys to run this country

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 20th, 2017, 6:15 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:Red and readyyyy

And facking stupid, dotish and clueless should be added to the slogan.

dude2014
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby dude2014 » April 20th, 2017, 6:18 pm

car wrote:
drchaos wrote:Called the hotline ... As I have a empty lot of residential land. So I asked how the rental value of a piece of land with bush on itwould be calculated and he said it would be calculated from value of the land itself.

The guy with the house suppose to be paying more. Something aint right there. That is good grounds to refuse to pay.

Is it you dont understand your post? Or is FREE FOR ALL SARCASM DAY? Empty land pays less any day. The guy with house and land will pay more ......................

There are tuners who want viable arguments to support or oppose the TAX.

You alone lives on a road and it will take 2m to develop. You are not expected to pay all that in tax so it can be developed. The taxes are primarily for the enjoyment of other benefits such as the main road to your road, schools, hospitals and the like. This may also be taken into account as person living in rural areas will have lower rental values due to the proximity to services and/or unavailability of such services.

A good example is WASA, check the schedule behind your WASA Bill. You may have to pay up even if you do not have a connection on DE EMPTY LAND .......

Property Tax is not only about house, out house or toilet, land and who getting/not getting old age pension as an excuse to not pay taxes. It is about maintaining records, provision of necessities and yes the old age pension, according to Aristotle who lived many years ago. We respect his wisdom, but draw the line when it comes to property taxes? Some of this tax will be pooled to pay old age pension. Do not contribute, live for free and let somebody else pay for it. Best of Luck with that one ....

THERE IS TALK ELSEWHERE ABOUT RAISING THE PENSIONABLE AGE FROM 65 YEARS TO 70 YEARS. THINK ABOUT THAT

Google the Philosophy of tax, property tax and other tax. Compare with other systems and then get up and clamour for Equity, Equality and justice ...........

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » April 20th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Imbutt find like the speed gun them eh bringing in the quota

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » April 20th, 2017, 7:02 pm

We don't even have proper services( health,police etc) when the country was not in a recession and ppl losing jobs left, right and center, prices going up in everything etc.How we going to pay that?Its going to be hard for everyone.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 20th, 2017, 7:13 pm

no matter the use, the premise must be valid.. other wise, they wouldn't put a stamp on to authenticate disabilty papers for people who beg for alms.

assessing ur house is not a valid way to extract a tax.
the house was built over years, some times generations, it wasnt over the span of one year, or even a few years. yet money will be extorted each year because of the accumulated efforts of the family towards the family home.
the government in no way contributed to the value of the house.
any value they contributed would be because of the situation, so charge tax on the situation of the property. not the site.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » April 20th, 2017, 8:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The taxes are primarily for the enjoyment of other benefits such as the main road to your road, schools, hospitals and the like"

Justification for property tax in T&T ... allu go make me buss meh belly laughing.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 20th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Apart from govt needing money to tief and pay financiers
Most of the money needed is to pay public servant debt
I.e. Watson, ancil and they crew of slow workers

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 20th, 2017, 8:53 pm

dude2014 wrote:
car wrote:

Is it you dont understand your post? Or is FREE FOR ALL SARCASM DAY? Empty land pays less any day. The guy with house and land will pay more ......................

There are tuners who want viable arguments to support or oppose the TAX.

You alone lives on a road and it will take 2m to develop. You are not expected to pay all that in tax so it can be developed. The taxes are primarily for the enjoyment of other benefits such as the main road to your road, schools, hospitals and the like. This may also be taken into account as person living in rural areas will have lower rental values due to the proximity to services and/or unavailability of such services.

A good example is WASA, check the schedule behind your WASA Bill. You may have to pay up even if you do not have a connection on DE EMPTY LAND .......

Property Tax is not only about house, out house or toilet, land and who getting/not getting old age pension as an excuse to not pay taxes. It is about maintaining records, provision of necessities and yes the old age pension, according to Aristotle who lived many years ago. We respect his wisdom, but draw the line when it comes to property taxes? Some of this tax will be pooled to pay old age pension. Do not contribute, live for free and let somebody else pay for it. Best of Luck with that one ....

THERE IS TALK ELSEWHERE ABOUT RAISING THE PENSIONABLE AGE FROM 65 YEARS TO 70 YEARS. THINK ABOUT THAT

Google the Philosophy of tax, property tax and other tax. Compare with other systems and then get up and clamour for Equity, Equality and justice ...........

We paid $1 billion for a stadium, we paid $1 million to move a truck, we paid $7 billion for a highway etc.

Maybe they should look at dealing with how bad they spend money rather than tax the middle class citizens who barely scraping by. Why should I pay more tax for you to spend badly?

Average working dude getting hit with

25% PAYE
NIS
Health Surcharge
3% Property Tax
20%-30% Duty
12.5% VAT

When he goes to the hospital he have to sit and wait for beds, plus go buy medicine cause it have none, he have to drive slow cause his road is bad and shocks expensive. He has to install burglar proof and cameras on all his doors and windows to keep out crime

Yet Gollum, pays no tax beside VAT, he can buy a Porsche every three years NO vat and duty, he needs a simple majority to increase his salary*

This tax is just the easy way out Government is run by a set of meows on both sides, I honestly hope they get fat and die fast so our generation could take over

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 20th, 2017, 8:55 pm

zoom rader wrote:Don't know why tuners complaining . I warned you all about PNM, so take the BBC

Nobody is saying you are wrong but the UNC was in power for 5 years they could have implemented a modern property tax and charged us some more but keep it reasonable.

They refused to do this because they were hoping the PNM would return and rape us with this tax so we would go running back to the Cabal.

I can guarantee you 100% I did NOT vote for the PNM I even backed the UNC up till election night of 2015 and I got a LOT of jamming on tuner for doing so way more than you, well I eh know about more than you cause they actually banned you, but in the end that was a lost cause because the UNC party is a failure, it is disorganized and in disarray with waaay too much allegations of corruption. And doh play like they didn't make mass with that box drain racket.

UNC became a joke after Pandey left. For all the people who skin they ass about Pandey over the years, I hope they like what they get now. Cause kamla did a real good job ent?

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 20th, 2017, 8:59 pm

zoom rader wrote:Don't know why tuners complaining . I warned you all about PNM, so take the BBC

The Cabal only looks out for their friends and cannot make hard decisions, Why your "we will rise leader" didn't reform the constitution and implement PM for only two terms as she went in?

Is cause of voters like you all we in this mess

UNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNMUNCPNM

That's our fate

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 20th, 2017, 8:59 pm

padna,

it was over $6m to move the truck............

src1983 wrote:We paid $1 billion for a stadium, we paid $1 million to move a truck, we paid $7 billion for a highway etc.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 20th, 2017, 8:59 pm

I hear this PNM man call 90.5FM just now and he say how the Property Tax is a good thing because it will give us a sense of belonging.

These fcuking people serious boy?

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 20th, 2017, 9:00 pm

pugboy wrote:padna,

it was over $6m to move the truck............

src1983 wrote:We paid $1 billion for a stadium, we paid $1 million to move a truck, we paid $7 billion for a highway etc.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

sinister_14
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sinister_14 » April 20th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Im totally against this property tax..why do we need to pay this..cause the country in a bad state and dey need additional income...to run the country...are these ppl serious..PEOPLE OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO...WAKE THE FACK UP PLZ...our country is in mess WHY??? CAUSE ALL THE IDIOTS THAT WE PLACED IN POWER BOTH PNM AND UNC...mismanaged our funds and stole from us and now we the ppl have to suffer....these are the ppl who need to be held accountable for this...we need to investigate all these minister and charge them and seized all there assets...we the ppl dont need to put up with this we need to get all the monies that was stolen back....they dont need to come up with all this crap and tax us for their mismanagement of the country....

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 20th, 2017, 9:09 pm

UNC and PNM thief out the money from this country, now the country eh have money so they looking to thief it from us now, if this was a first world country where people were held accountable then no scene you sure your roads would be fixed in your community you would have side walks etc. Right now if you see the payvement in St Helena the manhole covers missing or mash up for YEARS because some jackass park up his truck on it.

Want to know how they fixed it? they never fixed it, villagers put a fcking bamboo in the hole with a red flag tied to it so nobody would fall to their doom, the other night a guy got stabbed by walking into the bamboo because T&TEC stop fixing lamp pole lights.

And just imagine when they take this property tax it will remain exactly like this, and the money you giving these people will end up in the pockets of some contractor. And you will fall through more missing manhole covers.

And this PNM man who does call 90.5FM every night could say with a straight face that Property Tax is good because it does give he a sense of belonging?
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on April 20th, 2017, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » April 20th, 2017, 9:10 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:I hear this PNM man call 90.5FM just now and he say how the Property Tax is a good thing because it will give us a sense of belonging.

These fcuking people serious boy?

Wanna bet that scant eh paying no fracking property tax cause he squatting in the fackin beetum.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 20th, 2017, 9:15 pm

$2m for a flag.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 20th, 2017, 9:35 pm

This PNM woman from Diego Martin who does call 90.5fm every night, she now call and say how the property tax is a good thing because people in she area renting part of their house and making money and not paying their fair share of taxes

So WTF does that have to do with me or anybody else? if you crazy enough to rent half of your house to a stranger then that is your business go charge them tax. You can't seriously be telling me that because somebody in Diego Martin is renting half his house to a stranger and not paying proper tax that me living in Piarco somehow have to pay for he dotishness.

These fckuing people really serious about defending this property tax?

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » April 20th, 2017, 9:40 pm

This place getting more and more depressing

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”