Forums

Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Re: Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby SLVR1 » June 11th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Just got a call from Ministry of Finance Valuation Div. based on the Voluntary Forms submitted last year. They are coming to take external measurements only, ask some questions and take photos. They gave their badge nos. and other info. I confirmed with them that no one has to come inside the house.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » June 11th, 2018, 8:10 pm

SLVR1 wrote:Just got a call from Ministry of Finance Valuation Div. based on the Voluntary Forms submitted last year. They are coming to take external measurements only, ask some questions and take photos. They gave their badge nos. and other info. I confirmed with them that no one has to come inside the house.

Sando office?

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » June 11th, 2018, 9:49 pm

The government slacking off. Why has this tax not been implemented as yet ???

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 11th, 2018, 10:02 pm

Tax based on what valuations? They can't charge unless they compile the database of the annual rentable values. Somehow I find it hard to believe that you don't know that.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » June 11th, 2018, 10:52 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:Just got a call from Ministry of Finance Valuation Div. based on the Voluntary Forms submitted last year. They are coming to take external measurements only, ask some questions and take photos. They gave their badge nos. and other info. I confirmed with them that no one has to come inside the house.

Sando office?

Can't say. I would think POS as I am in Santa Cruz. The number they called from is 612-1715. Goes to the PBX for said Ministry.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » June 11th, 2018, 11:27 pm

rspann wrote:Tax based on what valuations? They can't charge unless they compile the database of the annual rentable values. Somehow I find it hard to believe that you don't know that.

They need exactly half of the database to start

SLVR1 wrote:Can't say. I would think POS as I am in Santa Cruz. The number they called from is 612-1715. Goes to the PBX for said Ministry.

Ah, that would be the big IQOR building you can see before the lady young on the CRH

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » June 12th, 2018, 8:53 am

ProtonPowder wrote:
rspann wrote:Tax based on what valuations? They can't charge unless they compile the database of the annual rentable values. Somehow I find it hard to believe that you don't know that.

SLVR1 wrote:Can't say. I would think POS as I am in Santa Cruz. The number they called from is 612-1715. Goes to the PBX for said Ministry.

Ah, that would be the big IQOR building you can see before the lady young on the CRH

Are you aware of anyone else getting similar calls? No one else in my immediate area got a call as yet.

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » June 12th, 2018, 8:56 am

Why are we sitting down and taking this??

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » June 12th, 2018, 9:17 am

SLVR1 wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

Are you aware of anyone else getting similar calls? No one else in my immediate area got a call as yet.

probably cuz u were the only one in your area to submit a VRF

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 12th, 2018, 10:50 am

matr1x wrote:Why are we sitting down and taking this??

The Opposition is fighting .

In 2020 if UNC's coalition returns maybe we may NEVER pay property tax again .

Or a least for another 5 years .

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » June 12th, 2018, 6:00 pm

88sins wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

probably cuz u were the only one in your area to submit a VRF

Nope, a few others did and they have not received a call.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » June 12th, 2018, 6:17 pm

SLVR1 wrote:Nope, a few others did and they have not received a call.

As of now they have a little over 100k VRFs. Those are almost all scanned and uploaded to the database by now.

So for each 'region' in TnT (goes by county) there are a few tens of thousands, save for the sparsely populated ones like Mayaro. The selection process for who gets called, for now is random as it just start. So they might do 3 on your street and none on the street next to you for a few weeks well.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » June 12th, 2018, 6:48 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:Nope, a few others did and they have not received a call.

As of now they have a little over 100k VRFs. Those are almost all scanned and uploaded to the database by now.

So for each 'region' in TnT (goes by county) there are a few tens of thousands, save for the sparsely populated ones like Mayaro. The selection process for who gets called, for now is random as it just start. So they might do 3 on your street and none on the street next to you for a few weeks well.

Ok thanks.

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » June 14th, 2018, 12:27 am

RedVEVO wrote:
matr1x wrote:Why are we sitting down and taking this??

The Opposition is fighting .

In 2020 if UNC's coalition returns maybe we may NEVER pay property tax again .

Or a least for another 5 years .

What kind of fighting? Lumbering over to their bench does not count

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » June 14th, 2018, 7:15 am

matr1x wrote:What kind of fighting? Lumbering over to their bench does not count

The lawyers who fighting Devant case smiling though, them getting the sweetest billable hours

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » June 14th, 2018, 11:16 am

Well, the officers came and took the measurements and sketch of the building. Also, some basic questions e.g. age of the house, building materials used, finishes e.g. gypsum, ceramic tile etc., no. of rooms etc. and some exterior photos .Took about 15-20 mins. This info. goes to BIR to do the financial aspect which will be mailed out with the payment options. This is what I was told. No questions were asked about security systems etc.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 14th, 2018, 11:27 am

ProtonPowder wrote:
matr1x wrote:What kind of fighting? Lumbering over to their bench does not count

The lawyers who fighting Devant case smiling though, them getting the sweetest billable hours

You are so naive about these people :D

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » June 14th, 2018, 11:42 am

RedVEVO wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

The man is correct. Those lawyers pockets will be heavy win, lose or draw.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 14th, 2018, 1:14 pm

SLVR1 wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

The man is correct. Those lawyers pockets will be heavy win, lose or draw.

He is well funded :D

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » June 14th, 2018, 5:44 pm

SLVR1 wrote:Well, the officers came and took the measurements and sketch of the building. Also, some basic questions e.g. age of the house, building materials used, finishes e.g. gypsum, ceramic tile etc., no. of rooms etc. and some exterior photos .Took about 15-20 mins. This info. goes to BIR to do the financial aspect which will be mailed out with the payment options. This is what I was told. No questions were asked about security systems etc.

You got the PIN# for your file? It wouldve been on the receipt for the VRF when you submitted. They supposed to provide you with the pin during the site visit, as of recently so I hear they sometimes forget. Is a unique 10 digit number which is basically the property's file# in the database, so if you have queries or changes you want them to make, the pin makes it easier to find.

If you didnt get it then call on monday

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 14th, 2018, 11:52 pm

SLVR1 wrote:Well, the officers came and took the measurements and sketch of the building. Also, some basic questions e.g. age of the house, building materials used, finishes e.g. gypsum, ceramic tile etc., no. of rooms etc. and some exterior photos .Took about 15-20 mins. This info. goes to BIR to do the financial aspect which will be mailed out with the payment options. This is what I was told. No questions were asked about security systems etc.

Did they enter your building for any reason?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 15th, 2018, 3:36 am

De Dragon wrote:

SLVR1 you are marked .

You can run but you cannot hide :cry:

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » June 15th, 2018, 9:00 am

De Dragon wrote:

No, they did not enter the house. They are only concerned with the exterior measurements. Same goes for any individual structures like my storage room.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » June 15th, 2018, 9:09 am

ProtonPowder wrote:

You got the PIN# for your file? It wouldve been on the receipt for the VRF when you submitted. They supposed to provide you with the pin during the site visit, as of recently so I hear they sometimes forget. Is a unique 10 digit number which is basically the property's file# in the database, so if you have queries or changes you want them to make, the pin makes it easier to find.

I have my receipt but there is no such no. The form they filled out was generic as I saw no such no. on it. I will call. Thanks.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » June 15th, 2018, 10:14 am

SLVR1 wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

I have my receipt but there is no such no. The form they filled out was generic as I saw no such no. on it. I will call. Thanks.

From what I see, is usually in a tiny box on the top right hand side of the first page of their inspection sheet

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » June 20th, 2018, 6:52 am

Kamla promising to axe property tax again

Anna Ramdass

Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar has promised to repeal the controversial property tax law the day her government returns to office.

“I am saying to the Government that this property tax in the way you have formulated it to be, we voted against it. You went with your simple majority – I am saying tonight – the day we form the government again we will repeal the property tax,” said Persad-Bissessar.

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/local/kamla-promising-to-axe-property-tax-again/article_a9535410-741d-11e8-bcaa-63df7af4e216.html

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » June 20th, 2018, 9:05 am

If that tax turn out to be a money maker, she not repealing nuttin

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 20th, 2018, 9:59 am

Only injun will be prosecuted for paying this tax.

Meanwhile laventille, Beetham and the rest of die hard PMM areas will get off cause they not working and they are single child fadder and muddars

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » June 20th, 2018, 6:17 pm

General Information

1. All Property Taxes between 1st January 2010 and 31st December 2017 have been waived.

2. It is planned that the ‘new’ Property tax will commence in 2018. However, it remains to be seen if that can be accomplished bearing in mind the limited time left in 2018.

3. A new Valuation Return Form has been designed which requests more information than the previous one. There has been no official word from the Ministry on when property owners would have to file this return.

4. There is a fine of $5,000 for failing to submit this form when requested.

5. Property owners will have 30 days to object to their assessment.

6. There will be a Valuation Tribunal appointed to hear objections.

7. The Valuation Tribunal will be headed by an Attorney and will comprise four other persons, two of whom will have qualifications and experience in Valuations.

8. There is a $50,000 penalty for leaking of owners’ information.

Nevertheless, a big drawback for homeowners is that unless the rental data supplied to the Commissioner of Valuations on the new Valuation Return Form is shared, it will be very difficult to prove an assessment is too high. This puts homeowners at a severe disadvantage as while property sales are registered and available to the general public, rental leases are hardly ever registered. Rental information is therefore extremely hard to come by and one often has to rely on verbal information from other property owners and real estate agents.

Further fact sheets will be issued as and when additional information becomes available and will be published on this website.

Your Property Tax on a residence will be calculated as follows:

a. The monthly rental value (unfurnished) of your home will be determined by the Commissioner of Valuations.

b. This monthly rental value will be multiplied by 12 to determine the annual rental value. subject to a minimum of $18,000.

c. It is currently proposed to deduct 10% from your annual rental and the remainder will represent your taxable value. It should be mentioned that this deduction can be changed at the discretion of the Board of Inland Revenue.

d. 3% will be calculated of your taxable value and this will represent your Property Tax.

e. For commercial properties the method remains the same but 5% of your taxable value will be your Property Tax.

Source: http://gafarrell.com/property-tax-quick-facts/

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 20th, 2018, 7:08 pm

kamla aint doing one MC....she just campaigning

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”