Forums

Sandals Thread!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Re: Sandals Thread!

Postby Miktay » January 18th, 2019, 1:09 pm

There's at least two sides to every story but it seems Antigua iz being reasonable with Sandals.

Thank our lucky stars we don't have to deal with Butch and his cronies.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » January 19th, 2019, 12:20 am

Sandals was a setup .

Expect more .

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 19th, 2019, 7:00 am

what did teach purcey say

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » January 19th, 2019, 7:05 am

The pnm kickbacks would have been huge. Not getting this must be making them bitter.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 19th, 2019, 7:29 am

the only significant benefit would have been kickbacks, every thing else woudl have been fodder.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » January 19th, 2019, 11:32 am

Ah like it, they fact-check he lying Mudda Count. Ah wonder if the Mason Hall Bully will come out and apologize to the reporter? (dais a rhetorical question eh)...:|

sMASH wrote:what did teach purcey say

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 19th, 2019, 11:44 am

i forward that out to my cousin and them, lo and behold, they call him lionel. if them call him lionel, that means it have a set of children between 9 and 15 who also know him as lionel. ah next generation, know ur reputation as a liard.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » January 19th, 2019, 11:55 am

sMASH wrote:i forward that out to my cousin and them, lo and behold, they call him lionel. if them call him lionel, that means it have a set of children between 9 and 15 who also know him as lionel. ah next generation, know ur reputation as a liard.

Yuh know what is the sad thing? If it was a single instance, he could be forgiven. But it isn't. The man is a compulsive liar, this is just one of the few times he has been caught out.

Bear in mind this is the same oaf who was calling misbehaved children "animals" the other day and castigating parents for not bringing them up properly and setting "a good example". Yet he is the Prime Minister of the country, bold-facedly lying and accusing other people of not doing their jobs properly.

The goodly gentleman has no moral authority to be preaching to anyone about their behaviour, none...:|

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 19th, 2019, 12:07 pm

i have to bump another thread... brb

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 19th, 2019, 7:10 pm

i see on tv tobago ppl crying for sandals to come back ....

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 19th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Rovin wrote:i see on tv tobago ppl crying for sandals to come back ....
Those are PNM ppl

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » January 20th, 2019, 3:14 am

zoom rader wrote:
Rovin wrote:i see on tv tobago ppl crying for sandals to come back ....
Those are PNM ppl

Crying ?

Or making a howling sound ?

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » January 20th, 2019, 7:15 am

This lady makes a good point about jumping on the Sandals bandwagon when the brand may be at the end of its lifecycle...

Sandals’ pullout could be positive
Loyse Vin­cent

An ex­pert in tourism in­tel­li­gence and de­vel­op­ment says the failed San­dals deal can be an op­por­tu­ni­ty to change this coun­try’s ap­proach to tourism.

Dr Au­liana Poon, Man­ag­ing Di­rec­tor of Tourism In­tel­li­gence In­ter­na­tion­al, a lead­ing in­ter­na­tion­al con­sul­tan­cy that has been op­er­at­ing for more than 25 years, said To­ba­go’s tourism stake­hold­ers must let the world know “the is­land is open for busi­ness, but per­haps not open to San­dals busi­ness and not in that for­mat.”

Tourism In­tel­li­gence In­ter­na­tion­al re­cent­ly beat more than 20 com­peti­tors to land the con­tract to de­vel­op Do­mini­ca’s Na­tion­al Tourism Pol­i­cy and Tourism Mas­ter Plan. The com­pa­ny con­tributed to the de­vel­op­ment of more than 100 des­ti­na­tions, in­clud­ing Abu Dhabi, An­tigua and Bar­bu­da, Aus­tralia, the Ba­hamas, Bar­ba­dos, Benin, Den­mark, Fin­land, Ger­many, Greece and Hong Kong.

“When San­dals talks about the neg­a­tive press for some peo­ple its neg­a­tive press, but the in­de­pen­dent trav­eller is hap­py that an in­de­pen­dent des­ti­na­tion is con­cerned about its en­vi­ron­ment . . . (and) wants to have trans­paren­cy,” Poon said.

She said such trav­ellers “would love to come to a coun­try where peo­ple have a voice and have a say. So I say it’s( ex­treme­ly pos­i­tive de­pend­ing on how you look at it.”

Poon, who runs Vil­la Be­ing, a high-end tourism re­sort in To­ba­go, said of the 1.5 bil­lion trav­ellers glob­al­ly, on­ly two per cent trav­el to the Caribbean. If the des­ti­na­tion could at­tract 100,000 of the 1.5 bil­lion peo­ple who are more con­scious and ed­u­cat­ed, those trav­ellers would be in­ter­est­ed that To­ba­go is con­cerned about the en­vi­ron­ment, she said.

She al­so said To­ba­go might not have been ready for a project of the mag­ni­tude pro­posed by the Gov­ern­ment and San­dals.

“We need to re­think the strat­e­gy of just build­ing the stuff and let­ting some­body else come to man­age it. The re­al mon­ey is in the man­age­ment. Do we have the man­age­ment ca­pa­bil­i­ties to run it?” Poon asked.

She sug­gest­ed that the Caribbean send stu­dents to the top uni­ver­si­ties in Switzer­land to study ho­tel man­age­ment so that they can re­turn to man­age the is­lands’ re­sources.

Ac­cord­ing to Poon, San­dals might not have been what To­ba­go need­ed at this point.

“Club Med in­vent­ed this hol­i­day where peo­ple de­scend­ed on this vil­lage for sun, sand, sea and sex and what have you but where is Club Med to­day? Club Med had its day,” she said.

“The point I’m mak­ing is San­dals had 30 to 40 years of fan­tas­tic growth and de­vel­op­ment. I’m ask­ing is this the end of the life cy­cle we jump­ing on to? Is it that To­ba­go is now try­ing to per­fect the pro­duc­tion of type­writ­ers when every­body wants a com­put­er? Is this the end of the line? Is this on­ly thing? What is com­ing af­ter that?”

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/sandals-pullout-could-be-positive-6.2.760995.824a61bd18

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » January 20th, 2019, 8:04 am

While I love the Sandals model, I would have preferred another location, as no mans land has another appeal for me personally..

I would pay top dollar to go there with minimal staff, a single steel pan player a lounge chair and a small bar...nothing artificial and nothing grand. The rope swing on the beach right now is what we enjoy and love the most there..less is more in this case for me.

matr1x

Postby matr1x » January 20th, 2019, 8:40 am

What I want to know is what monies were passed to and the bribes given.

You know....the "consultant firms"

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » January 20th, 2019, 9:31 am

https://www.facebook.com/78081948066/po ... 639433067/

Businessman Demi John Cruickshank speaking at the town meeting on the Sandals pullout at James Park, Scarborough.

Vindra Gopaul

Shas­tri Boodan

To­ba­go busi­ness­man De­mi John Cruik­shank is up­set about the pull­out of San­dals from To­ba­go.

He told a small group at a town meet­ing at James Park, Scar­bor­ough, on Fri­day that it was a sad day when the an­nounce­ment was made that San­dals was leav­ing.

Cruik­shank, for­mer head of the To­ba­go Di­vi­sion of the T&T Cham­ber, said the de­par­ture of the re­sort op­er­a­tor was a se­vere blow to the is­land’s busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty. He said San­dals ben­e­fits the is­lands states where it op­er­ates by way of tax­es, em­ploy­ment and in­creased vis­i­tor ar­rivals. He gave the ex­am­ple of the Ba­hamas had 30,000 in­ter­na­tion­al ar­rivals last Christ­mas Day, while To­ba­go on­ly got 18,000 in­ter­na­tion­al ar­rivals for all of 2018.

He said farm­ers would have ben­e­fit­ed and they were get­ting ready to sup­ply the re­sort with lo­cal­ly grown pro­duce.

“There was one guy in Pem­broke who just mort­gaged his house for $5 mil­lion and was go­ing in­to an egg pro­cess­ing busi­ness and putting up a mas­sive egg-plant op­er­a­tion in Pem­broke. That squashed, 5000 jobs gone, so we un­der­stand what we lost,” he said.

Cruick­shank al­so said To­bag­o­ni­ans lost out from earn­ing high in­comes at San­dals. He said a but­ler at the re­sort earns ap­prox­i­mate­ly US$5000 a month plus US$1000 to US$2000 a month in tips.

“If a but­ler salary is US$7500 a month, he work­ing for more mon­ey than the Chief Sec­re­tary of the THA. So we sit down with fool­ish­ness in To­ba­go and sit down and let some peo­ple who call them­selves lead­ers in To­ba­go en­cour­age some peo­ple who say they are en­vi­ron­men­tal­ists in To­ba­go and did not even pick up the phone and call San­dals and say tell me your track record as to what’s hap­pen­ing with the en­vi­ron­ment and your en­vi­ron­men­tal poli­cies,” he said.

Cruick­shank, who ap­pealed to To­bag­o­ni­ans not be side­tracked by a hand­ful of peo­ple, added: “We as right-think­ing To­bag­o­ni­ans have to get up and say those peo­ple are mi­nori­ties and they talk­ing fool­ish­ness and they do not sup­port or car­ry the ma­jor­i­ty of To­bag­o­ni­ans or To­bag­on­ian voic­es.”

He said an­oth­er ho­tel brand was in­ter­est­ed in set­ting shop in To­ba­go but was wait­ing for San­dals. How­ev­er, this might not hap­pen again be­cause of the neg­a­tive in­vestor cli­mate.

People really dotish yes ... Hear this fool telling people a butler in sandals makes 7500usd a month.

Snyper
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Snyper » January 20th, 2019, 10:08 am

Take yuh Sandals and go!

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 20th, 2019, 10:20 am

Any brand name hotel will seek to get as much concessions as the can...like any other company that is bringing something to the table.
Local companies get concessions on projects.
BP did..and still does.

All foreign companies coming here will need to have freedom to bring the talent they sell fit....at least initially.

Whether it's sandal's or ihop or MHI....they negotiate for every concession they can get.They represent shareholders.

I'm betting that the next MOU with whoever, will look very similar to this one.
Not cuz of boboll but simply for the stage it was at it was what was necessary.
Instead of running world class brand...we should have forced our representative s to get the terms and conditions that we wanted.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » January 20th, 2019, 10:36 am

Redman wrote:Any brand name hotel will seek to get as much concessions as the can...like any other company that is bringing something to the table.
BP did..and still does.

All foreign companies coming here will need to have freedom to bring the talent they sell fit....at least initially.

Whether it's sandal's or ihop or MHI....they negotiate for every concession they can get.They represent shareholders.

Instead of running world class brand...we should have forced our representative s to get the terms and conditions that we wanted.

How many other companies have the government build their infrastructure at no charge to them?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 20th, 2019, 10:38 am

Gladiator wrote:https://www.facebook.com/78081948066/posts/10156194639433067/

Businessman Demi John Cruickshank speaking at the town meeting on the Sandals pullout at James Park, Scarborough.

Vindra Gopaul

Shas­tri Boodan

To­ba­go busi­ness­man De­mi John Cruik­shank is up­set about the pull­out of San­dals from To­ba­go.

He told a small group at a town meet­ing at James Park, Scar­bor­ough, on Fri­day that it was a sad day when the an­nounce­ment was made that San­dals was leav­ing.

Cruik­shank, for­mer head of the To­ba­go Di­vi­sion of the T&T Cham­ber, said the de­par­ture of the re­sort op­er­a­tor was a se­vere blow to the is­land’s busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty. He said San­dals ben­e­fits the is­lands states where it op­er­ates by way of tax­es, em­ploy­ment and in­creased vis­i­tor ar­rivals. He gave the ex­am­ple of the Ba­hamas had 30,000 in­ter­na­tion­al ar­rivals last Christ­mas Day, while To­ba­go on­ly got 18,000 in­ter­na­tion­al ar­rivals for all of 2018.

He said farm­ers would have ben­e­fit­ed and they were get­ting ready to sup­ply the re­sort with lo­cal­ly grown pro­duce.

“There was one guy in Pem­broke who just mort­gaged his house for $5 mil­lion and was go­ing in­to an egg pro­cess­ing busi­ness and putting up a mas­sive egg-plant op­er­a­tion in Pem­broke. That squashed, 5000 jobs gone, so we un­der­stand what we lost,” he said.

Cruick­shank al­so said To­bag­o­ni­ans lost out from earn­ing high in­comes at San­dals. He said a but­ler at the re­sort earns ap­prox­i­mate­ly US$5000 a month plus US$1000 to US$2000 a month in tips.

“If a but­ler salary is US$7500 a month, he work­ing for more mon­ey than the Chief Sec­re­tary of the THA. So we sit down with fool­ish­ness in To­ba­go and sit down and let some peo­ple who call them­selves lead­ers in To­ba­go en­cour­age some peo­ple who say they are en­vi­ron­men­tal­ists in To­ba­go and did not even pick up the phone and call San­dals and say tell me your track record as to what’s hap­pen­ing with the en­vi­ron­ment and your en­vi­ron­men­tal poli­cies,” he said.

Cruick­shank, who ap­pealed to To­bag­o­ni­ans not be side­tracked by a hand­ful of peo­ple, added: “We as right-think­ing To­bag­o­ni­ans have to get up and say those peo­ple are mi­nori­ties and they talk­ing fool­ish­ness and they do not sup­port or car­ry the ma­jor­i­ty of To­bag­o­ni­ans or To­bag­on­ian voic­es.”

He said an­oth­er ho­tel brand was in­ter­est­ed in set­ting shop in To­ba­go but was wait­ing for San­dals. How­ev­er, this might not hap­pen again be­cause of the neg­a­tive in­vestor cli­mate.

People really dotish yes ... Hear this fool telling people a butler in sandals makes 7500usd a month.
What a load of bullchit, no butler getting no 5000US.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 20th, 2019, 10:54 am

Strugglerzinc wrote:
Redman wrote:Any brand name hotel will seek to get as much concessions as the can...like any other company that is bringing something to the table.
BP did..and still does.

How many other companies have the government build their infrastructure at no charge to them?[/quote

What's the norm for the industry?
What's worked here?
What we getting in return?

Cost benefit?

We need a definite policy etc.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » January 20th, 2019, 11:12 am

The stalwarts tout Hyatt .... But if you see the books the govt is the main client with 90% of the bookings. So in reality we spending taxpayers money squared.
Strugglerzinc wrote:
BP did..and still does.

How many other companies have the government build their infrastructure at no charge to them?

matr1x

Postby matr1x » January 20th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Why was Trinidad spending money for this? Tobago always crying....but don't contribute anything really to gdp

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 20th, 2019, 1:44 pm

rebound wrote:While I love the Sandals model, I would have preferred another location, as no mans land has another appeal for me personally..

I would pay top dollar to go there with minimal staff, a single steel pan player a lounge chair and a small bar...nothing artificial and nothing grand. The rope swing on the beach right now is what we enjoy and love the most there..less is more in this case for me.
If all that money spending, might as well leave the already good places alone, and develop a spot that isn't that attractive.

I'm alll fir eco tourism... Hiking, bike riding, , bird watching, plant and tree... Flora... Think botanic gardens and cleaver woods, wild fowl trust, but with massive development.
Like Disney world but fir out doors and nature stuff. U

Do some of the bougie thing, and gave it well managed, but ur focus is on the reason why tobsgo was fought over by so many countries for so many centuries...

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 20th, 2019, 1:57 pm

BP did..and still does.

BP is local? :?
Concessions are one thing, rape and pillage is another. Look at Antigua and Barbuda. Sandals expressed an interest to come here, whether it was because of the disadvantageous (to us) conditions or not, will be revealed if and when they return to the table. I agree with you strongly on that point of proper, transparent negotiations needing to take place.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 20th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Oh gorm the point was concessions are taken by any and all companies foreign and local.

Its part of attracting new projects

In this context..whatever concessions that are given have to be weighed against the benefits.

In this case Sandals was a starting point to justify the expansion of the Airport,ports and infrastructure.

If the CostBen is done and used then it will never be one sided.
You wouldnt be able to attract private funding if it was.

With the exception of the stadia all over-these projects will always be used.

So if done properly - the cost of construction is worth it.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 20th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Redman wrote:Oh gorm the point was concessions are taken by any and all companies foreign and local.

Its part of attracting new projects

In this context..whatever concessions that are given have to be weighed against the benefits.

In this case Sandals was a starting point to justify the expansion of the Airport,ports and infrastructure.

If the CostBen is done and used then it will never be one sided.
You wouldnt be able to attract private funding if it was.

With the exception of the stadia all over-these projects will always be used.

So if done properly - the cost of construction is worth it.

We didn't attract "private funding" though. :? Sandals wasn't going to lend much capital to the project
Also can the "tighten yuh belt" crew sell the taxpayer on the absorption such massive expenditure? Hotel + airport + generational tax breaks? The present GORTT likes to harp on the concessions given to energy companies, and love to remind us of how they are renegotiating said contracts, yet Sandals basically said "you pay for everything" and we appeared fine with it.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 20th, 2019, 3:40 pm

But we haven't reached the stage of having anything to fund.

You can't determine anything based on the MOU.

And this is my main issue.
You have already decided it isn't worth it....even though we all know zero in terms of the details needed to make that decision.
The MOU is too general to use in that manner.

Gortt can raise funding from anywhere.
At this point it remains unknown whether and how it would be funded.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » January 20th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Redman wrote:But we haven't reached the stage of having anything to fund.

You have already decided it isn't worth it....even though we all know zero in terms of the details needed to make that decision.

Redman... you willing to go thru the MOU and tell us how it benefits T&T? Which is what Afra Raymond wants answered? Or you going to stick to the "MOU is nuh a big ting", "It eh legal", "is a lil agreement", "yuh cyah kno nuttin from ah mou", "dey eh get info yet to say what dey guh do", "look how sandals big on tv" like what pnm sycophants on fb spouting since Sandals gone?

No matter how you try to spin it, Growlers, Younglings and Butch wanted that MOU secret from the public. If it wasn't a big deal, why hide it until Afra reach to court?

Based on the intentions stated in the MOU, an agreement and contract would have been reached leaving the public out on its details. Those agreements and future financials would also remain secret from the public just like Hyatt, Hilton and Magdalena Grand agreements and financials.

Btw... since Growlers say we don't have money cause kamla spend out everything and hence he need to borrow, that means taxpayers would have been saddled paying off any sandals loan. Very high chance he would have went to the chinese to get it.
Last edited by The_Honourable on January 20th, 2019, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 20th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Redman wrote:But we haven't reached the stage of having anything to fund.

Actually every single thing we needed to know was in that MOU, hence the extraordinary lengths the GORTT went to to keep it from US. The funding that the GORTT can "raise from anywhere" was going to be paid for by US......ALONE! Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting Sandals for seeking the most beneficial terms for themselves. My issue is with those who decided without telling us the details, that it was best for us. My issue is with a Minister in the GORTT sitting with a foreign company to announce their pull out and berating US for it.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”