Postby redmanjp » February 16th, 2017, 5:12 pm

this for real? :shock:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170215/news/poison-water

POISON WATER*
T&T facing emergency from lead contamination at Guanapo landfill

Published on Feb 15, 2017, 9:26 pm AST
By Ria Taitt
ria.taitt@trinidadexpress.com

“A scary situation” is facing Trinidad and Tobago with its water system.
The Public Accounts Enterprises (PAEC) Committee was yesterday informed that lead from the Guanapo and other landfills is seeping into the water courses, posing “a potential ecological disaster”.
Solid Waste Management Ltd (SWMCOL) appeared before the PAEC, where its CEO, Ronald Roach, stated that UWI, in October 2014, had conducted an extensive study of the water quality in and around the Guanapo landfill site and had identified lead in the surrounding water courses.
Roach said the report pointed to problems with the leachate (water escaping from the landfill site which contaminates the natural water sources).
Roach said, while the UWI study was only done at Guanapo, there were similar problems of leachate at the Beetham landfill and at the Forres Park landfill.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170216/news/is-the-water-supply-safe-govt-cant-sayyet

THE Solid Waste Management Company Ltd (SWMCOL) will likely have questions to answer as to why a 2014 study showing that lead was being leached into water courses around the Guanapo landfill was not treated as a matter of national urgency, Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister, Stuart Young said today.

Young, addressing media questions at the Post cabinet briefing at the Office of the Prime Minister in St Clair, also said Government has asked the Ministry of Public Utilities for an “urgent” report on the 2014 study which was conducted by the University of the West Indies (UWI) and which showed that water courses surrounding the site had been contaminated.

Until that report is received, hopefully within a matter of weeks, Government will not be able to make any statements to the population as to whether or not tap water should be consumed, Young said.

He said the matter was being treated as an urgent one.

The lead issue was exposed Wednesday when a SWMCOL panel appeared before the Public Accounts Enterprises (PAEC) Committee of the Parliament, where SWMCOL CEO, Ronald Roach, said the UWI study was conducted only at Guanapo but that similar contamination was happening at other dumping sites, including the landfills at Beetham and Forres Park, Claxton Bay.

It was also stated at the compromised water was also entering the Caroni Treatment Plant of the Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA).

The situation was described as a mounting ecological disaster facing Trinidad's water system.

Health minister Terrence Deyalsingh also noted that the matter was one for urgent concern, at the Post Cabinet briefing.

WASA is expected to issue a statement on the alarming situation today.

The Mayo Clinic online lists, among others, the following short- and long-term symptoms of lead poisoning in children –

Developmental delay.
Learning difficulties.
Irritability.
Loss of appetite.
Weight loss.
Sluggishness and fatigue.
Abdominal pain.
Vomiting.

Advertisement
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: Poison in the water supply since 2014?

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 16th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Well based on the crime rate it seems the country already have the symptoms of developmental delay, learning difficulties and irritability.

Average
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Average » February 16th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Irritability.
Loss of appetite.
Weight loss.
Sluggishness and fatigue.

Now men who get horn could say is the water cause it.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » February 16th, 2017, 5:57 pm

That moment when you give the ok to designate landfills over major aquifers.

maj. tom
punchin NOS

Postby maj. tom » February 16th, 2017, 6:27 pm

So this should step up plans about hazardous waste disposal, eg batteries and light bulbs, wires, old electronics and cell phones.

Set up a proper waste management plant to deal with this sort of stuff and have a separate bin collection for the public to throw these things away. Then implement and Environmental Handling Fee for every electronic item bought in Trinidad which goes directly to fund this effort. If it's easily accessible and the public knows about it through an education drive, they will use the bins.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » February 16th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Well based on the crime rate it seems the country already have the symptoms of developmental delay, learning difficulties and irritability.

Either way men getting pumped full of lead

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 16th, 2017, 7:02 pm

maj. tom wrote:So this should step up plans about hazardous waste disposal, eg batteries and light bulbs, wires, old electronics and cell phones.

Set up a proper waste management plant to deal with this sort of stuff and have a separate bin collection for the public to throw these things away. Then implement and Environmental Handling Fee for every electronic item bought in Trinidad which goes directly to fund this effort. If it's easily accessible and the public knows about it through an education drive, they will use the bins.

Yeah but hoss, which Trini really going and dispose of hazardous waste properly?

And secondly which government going to ensure that from now on these hazardous materials are disposed of properly?

For years I asking Tim Gopeesingh the MP for my area to provide trash cans near the taxi stands in this area and he NEVER once provided even ah old box. So the drain by KFC near the Taxi Stand is full of bottle and rubbish like that.

Trust me Trinis are incapable of using a trash can to throw basic trash like empty KFC box or plastic bottles and the government is incapable of providing enough trash cans around the country so there is noway in hell they are going to dispose of batteries and electronics etc the proper way. We are utterly fcked in this country.

The only solution is to buy water in bottle. But its getting so expensive now....

ruffneck_12
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 16th, 2017, 7:23 pm

boy ole battery buyin

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 16th, 2017, 7:26 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:boy ole battery buyin

Yeah but what about laptop, cellphone battery that people just toss in the garbage? light bulbs? this country is actually pretty toxic, just 20 years ago you could ah find cascadura fish all over the place all the side drains etc that had mud water. Noway in hell you getting that now, everything dead.

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » February 16th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Places that sell batteries should encourage customers to bring in their old batteries then collection would be easier to dispose of If we got anywhere that does that.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 16th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Allyuh now hearing the tip of the iceberg

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 16th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Know that landfill in claxton bay? Well we take groundwater from the central gravels. Guess how close the landfill is?

Stop now?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 16th, 2017, 9:45 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Know that landfill in claxton bay? Well we take groundwater from the central gravels. Guess how close the landfill is?

Stop now?

interesting....

Do you drink tap water or buy water?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 16th, 2017, 9:48 pm

I drink both. Dont get water from those areas.
I get plenty iron though. So reddish brown water is a common occurrence

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 16th, 2017, 9:58 pm

nervewrecker wrote:I drink both. Dont get water from those areas.
I get plenty iron though. So reddish brown water is a common occurrence

I see, well where I live I believe my water comes from well.. I from El Carmen which is the road that takes you to las lomas so no idea where my water comes from. lol

But some years ago when Manning was in power he completely rebuilt our water lines so all steel was replaced with PVC and very high PSI I would say the pressure is Excellent ever since, but not really sure where my water comes from

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 16th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Water from caroni reaches all the way to the east west corridor and as far as south oropouche. Not sure how far east.

DTAC
Shifting into 6th

Postby DTAC » February 16th, 2017, 11:38 pm

Probably why everyone knows a whole subset of people who has died of cancer in Trinidad.

jahs0ldi3r
Trinituner Peong

Postby jahs0ldi3r » February 17th, 2017, 12:18 am

Every time I drink tap water I end up in the hospital, no lie, so I'm totally dependent on this...

Sad thing is that I'm the only person in the family that this happens to, so no-one else listens, only my son and I are on this bottled water diet

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 17th, 2017, 12:24 am

How serious will Trinis take this news? will there be protests tomorrow?

4a70
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 4a70 » February 17th, 2017, 7:09 am

Some bottled water companies RO treat tap water and sell the public, others use wells, so wont doubt that they as well may have some contaminants. The publics reaction..... this is Tinidad, land of the one week beatup!!

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » February 17th, 2017, 9:15 am

RO is supposed to remove lead though.

dude2014
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby dude2014 » February 17th, 2017, 2:06 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Know that landfill in claxton bay? Well we take groundwater from the central gravels. Guess how close the landfill is?

Stop now?

Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meh nerves does act up when ah hear about this.
Currently there are discussions to close existing landfill and commission new ones.
Even the existing ones are not even installing earth barriers together with the requisite liners to contain leachate over new areas where they are depositing waste.

In another note, the National Cleanup, Municipality by Municipality, is another Environmental DIsaster. Guess where All the white waste, e waste together with the batteries, wood, plastic, metal is going.

Well the Guys from the Couva/Tabaquite/Talparo Regional Corporation yesterday told me when I stopped one of the truck and enquired, was the collected materials arwe going Claxton Bay.

As usual, The EMA is an After the Fact State agency. Not a note is being sung by them.

MX PRIME SAYS IT BEST: HOLD DEM AND 4CK DEM, that is the population. The undermentioned is respectfully submitted

A landfill liner, or composite liner, is intended to be a non permeable barrier, which is laid down under engineered landfill sites. Until it deteriorates, the liner retards migration of leachate, and its toxic constituents, into underlying aquifers or nearby rivers, causing spoliation of the local water.
Landfill liner - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_liner

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: RE: Re: Poison in the water supply since 2014?

Postby nervewrecker » February 17th, 2017, 2:09 pm

4a70 wrote:Some bottled water companies RO treat tap water and sell the public, others use wells, so wont doubt that they as well may have some contaminants. The publics reaction..... this is Tinidad, land of the one week beatup!!

Afaik, all if them is tap water.
They have a well they pay wasa rent for just for the sake of their ad being legal and legit.
If a well was producing that amount of water at that quality why will wasa rent it out?

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » February 17th, 2017, 3:05 pm

As I said before. Reverse osmosis will remove lead and almost everything else unless the molecule is the size of a water molecule. (Once the RO membranes being used are that size)

So it doesn't matter if it's well water or tap water being processed.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 17th, 2017, 3:07 pm

dude2014 wrote:

Stop now?

Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meh nerves does act up when ah hear about this.
Currently there are discussions to close existing landfill and commission new ones.
Even the existing ones are not even installing earth barriers together with the requisite liners to contain leachate over new areas where they are depositing waste.

In another note, the National Cleanup, Municipality by Municipality, is another Environmental DIsaster. Guess where All the white waste, e waste together with the batteries, wood, plastic, metal is going.

Well the Guys from the Couva/Tabaquite/Talparo Regional Corporation yesterday told me when I stopped one of the truck and enquired, was the collected materials arwe going Claxton Bay.

As usual, The EMA is an After the Fact State agency. Not a note is being sung by them.

MX PRIME SAYS IT BEST: HOLD DEM AND 4CK DEM, that is the population. The undermentioned is respectfully submitted

A landfill liner, or composite liner, is intended to be a non permeable barrier, which is laid down under engineered landfill sites. Until it deteriorates, the liner retards migration of leachate, and its toxic constituents, into underlying aquifers or nearby rivers, causing spoliation of the local water.
Landfill liner - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_liner

They have been talking about the landfill liner (material of low hydraulic conductivity) since 2006. The beetham landfill was unplanned, claxton bay had a containment area for lead and guanapo was always a concern.

But wait till you all hear about the report that wasa / wra has since back when about contamination of groundwater from....*np vehicle pulls up*

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » February 17th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Super Quality in Chaguanas has a battery collection box as you enter. Please make use of it instead of cyacking and complaining. I will. I'm sure other places have them.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 17th, 2017, 4:04 pm

pete wrote:As I said before. Reverse osmosis will remove lead and almost everything else unless the molecule is the size of a water molecule. (Once the RO membranes being used are that size)

Depends on the pore size of the membranes involved.
A test on bottle water reveals turbidity. So its definatly not on the molecular level. That level of filtration is energy intensive on a large scale and effluent will cost more than these bottled water.

In fact bottled water was almost on par with water leaving caroni plant.

Tests were done in a lab.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 17th, 2017, 4:45 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
pete wrote:As I said before. Reverse osmosis will remove lead and almost everything else unless the molecule is the size of a water molecule. (Once the RO membranes being used are that size)

A test on bottle water reveals turbidity. So its definatly not on the molecular level. That level of filtration is energy intensive on a large scale and effluent will cost more than these bottled water.

Would the RO done at Desalcott remove lead?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Poison in the water supply since 2014?

Postby nervewrecker » February 17th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Would the RO done at Desalcott remove lead?

I cant say for sure.
Not sure what size pores they use or whats the raw effluent quality like.
I know its small enough to remove the dissolved sodium chloride.

screwbash
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby screwbash » February 18th, 2017, 4:35 am

this is a UNC plan to poison all the n1gg@rs. indian does drink rum not water.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”