Forums

School soft-drink sales to stop in April

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

K74T
TunerGod

School soft-drink sales to stop in April

Postby K74T » February 20th, 2017, 7:18 am

FROM April, the sale of soft drinks in schools will be banned.

This according to Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh, who said yesterday he would take full responsibi­lity for this decision.

Delivering the feature address at the Rapid Fire Kidz Foundation's “Eyes Right Project” held at the Naparima Boys' College in San Fernando, where glasses were distributed to children for free, Deyalsingh said this plan of action was a way to bring a healthy lifestyle to the nation's children.

Healthier lifestyle

Deyalsingh said his vision when he became Minister of Health was to address two issues.

These were the problem of maternal deaths, which he said have since decreased, and the banning of the sale of soft drinks in schools.

“On becoming Minister of Health, Trinidad and Tobago was faced with a very bad problem with maternal deaths, so I had a vision to decrease maternal deaths and we have been successful... and (as) the Minister of Health, and I take full responsibility for this, whether good or bad, is to ban the sale of soft drinks in schools from April,” he said.

Deyalsingh said he intends to roll out “serious policies” for children to have a healthier lifestyle.

He called on parents to support this initiative and asked that they practise not giving their children ­sugary drinks and unhealthy foods.

He said he was surprised to see children as young as 15 at dialysis centres.

He said it costs the State $130,000 for one person per year for dialysis treatment.

Deyalsingh also asked president of the Rapid Fire Kidz Foundation Kevin Ratiram to submit a proposal to join the ministry with the distribution of free glasses to children across the country.

He said his ministry in 2015-2016 conducted vision screening of 26,765 primary school pupils, including 12,849 Standard Four pupils; and for the same period, the ministry tested 12,849 pupils for hearing problems.

Ratiram said this distribution was a significant milestone for the organi­sation, as it marked the 500th pair of eyewear to be distributed for free to children in two years.

He said the foundation partnered with See Vu Optical, and over 3,500 children were screened from 24 ­primary schools.

Positive change

Ratiram said the foundation was making a positive difference in the lives of children, and made an appeal for others to assist.

However, he said there were children who get involved in criminal activities because they lacked proper teaching aids and support.

Ratiram, who is an attorney, called for a better criminal justice system in matters relating to offences against the abuse of children.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170218/news/school-soft-drink-sales-to-stop-in-april

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Re: School soft-drink sales to stop in April

Postby PapaC » February 20th, 2017, 7:25 am

Excellent initiative. I hope everybody gets on board for this.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 20th, 2017, 7:31 am

They should replace it with water . Children do not get their required water for the day . I hope they don't replace it with box juices.

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » February 20th, 2017, 7:45 am

How is this being enforced though?
Are the kids being educated on diet and exercise, or taught why the decision is being made?
Do they know how to deal with sugar withdrawal?

Knowing kids, they're going to work around this by buying soft drinks outside or bringing them from home to share/sell in school.
It's a good idea, but needs to be implemented in an effective way, because while the goal is to reduce sugar intake, soft drinks are just one source to be eliminated. Other seemingly healthy drinks such as packaged juices and dairy drinks are also loaded with almost as much sugar as soft drinks.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 20th, 2017, 7:55 am

Finally an authority stepped up to the plate on this issue of excessive dietary sugars. It's a good start. They need to drive dietary education some more.

The only education the public getting right now are those Omega XL ads... and then in the end they're just selling a product.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 20th, 2017, 8:05 am

good intention.

are they just banning carbonated beverages? cause the juices that are sold have even more sugar per unit volume that carbonated beverages... carribean cool feels like sugar syrup going down... some times i dilute it nearly half and half with water.

if they mandate fresh squeezed juice,, it should work... but they should allow for mass produced fresh squeezed juice too.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » February 20th, 2017, 8:06 am

Biggest pile of horse manure ever. Soft drinks have less sugar than juice. Just now they will want children to be eating only celery and carrots and doing yoga for PE instead of football and cricket.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » February 20th, 2017, 8:51 am

Nestle seems to have cut back significantly on the sugar in their products and have replaced it with stevia. A peanut punch used to have 270calories and it's down to 170 now as an example. I know they have done the same with the juices but I haven't really checked what the sugar content is now..

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » February 20th, 2017, 8:59 am

RBphoto wrote:Biggest pile of horse manure ever. Soft drinks have less sugar than juice. Just now they will want children to be eating only celery and carrots and doing yoga for PE instead of football and cricket.

A possible future involving slimmer, healthier trinis with good teeth; no football tees worn ironically over potbellies.....
sounds horrible.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 20th, 2017, 9:03 am

Parents would be key to this initiative. If kids can just bring soft drink from home then this makes no sense so parents would need to also ban soft drinks at home.

I know some pre schools already have a ban on soft drinks and junk snacks such as corn curls etc. So some parents should already be accustomed to preping healthier alternatives.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: RE: Re: School soft-drink sales to stop in April

Postby Morpheus » February 20th, 2017, 9:04 am

pete wrote:Nestle seems to have cut back significantly on the sugar in their products and have replaced it with stevia. A peanut punch used to have 270calories and it's down to 170 now as an example. I know they have done the same with the juices but I haven't really checked what the sugar content is now..

Much less. So much less that most of their products taste a lil different now...

WHO standards at play. Reduce sugar content globally.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » February 20th, 2017, 9:27 am

RBphoto wrote:Biggest pile of horse manure ever. Soft drinks have less sugar than juice. Just now they will want children to be eating only celery and carrots and doing yoga for PE instead of football and cricket.

Boi goodthing i enjoyed my school days!

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » February 20th, 2017, 9:29 am

This is a good opportunity to use the outputs of the local farming industry to cater for school children, but that don't get votes or make the rich richer, so nevermind.

cherrypopper
Riding on 18's

Postby cherrypopper » February 20th, 2017, 10:12 am

Ban sugary drinks not soft drinks you jackass minister of education.

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » February 20th, 2017, 10:28 am

Who getting de contract to provide alternative drinks?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 20th, 2017, 10:39 am

vaiostation wrote:Who getting de contract to provide alternative drinks?

WASA!

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 20th, 2017, 10:51 am

It's a good change.
But no more sugary sodas in school is a waste of time if they still selling all those assorted candy bars like snickers, milky way, etc. Those junk 10x worse than sodas imo, & with no more sodas & if those things still available within school walls, cafeteria could make some big profits off candy & candy bar sales.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 20th, 2017, 10:53 am

^^ good pick up there.

It really should be sugary foods on the whole as mentioned.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » February 20th, 2017, 10:53 am

vaiostation wrote:Who getting de contract to provide alternative drinks?

Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! Ding!!

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » February 20th, 2017, 11:12 am

Ding

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » February 20th, 2017, 12:16 pm

too many fat kids, i agree..

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 20th, 2017, 12:40 pm

alternative idea

have more fruits in school!

The food we eat literally become our body. What we feed our children eventually become a part of them.

Would be cool if we could get some farmers to collaborate with a school to provide some natural snacks.
You could also teach the children about composting and ting one time.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » February 20th, 2017, 12:43 pm

^^That didn't work out too well for Mrs. Obama.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » February 20th, 2017, 12:47 pm

stupid people, wanting to look bad by eating KFC everyday. but then we're a tropical environment with many natural fruits....govt. should tax fast food by 50%.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » February 20th, 2017, 1:06 pm

I'm so glad some of you are not in charge of decision making in this country.

ChristianRD
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ChristianRD » February 20th, 2017, 1:08 pm

desifemlove wrote:stupid people, wanting to look bad by eating KFC everyday. but then we're a tropical environment with many natural fruits....govt. should tax fast food by 50%.

What a dumb cvnt. Learn basic biology.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » February 20th, 2017, 1:14 pm

yep, like your fat ass is clogged with cholestrol....

bluesclues
punchin NOS

Postby bluesclues » February 20th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Must be april fool's lol

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » February 20th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:I'm so glad some of you are not in charge of decision making in this country.

vote for me for PM.

i'd make T&T great again!!

ChristianRD
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ChristianRD » February 20th, 2017, 1:35 pm

desifemlove wrote:yep, like your fat ass is clogged with cholestrol....

If you want my comeback you'll have to scrape it off your mom's teeth.

You speak like a woman.
Are you a woman?
Only a woman, would speak about things they know nothing of.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”