Forums

Hyundai Ioniq in Trinidad...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

drchaos
punchin NOS

Re: Hyundai Ioniq in Trinidad...

Postby drchaos » September 7th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Its Massy insisting that you service at 5000 KM so it keeps their profits up. I mean seriously how can 15K translate to 5K???

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » September 7th, 2017, 10:05 pm

I won't be paying for the first service. The points earned from purchasing the vehicle, Would/Should cover the first service charge. Every 15000km after that is recommended by the owners manual.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 7th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Usually the first one is shorter?

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » September 7th, 2017, 10:21 pm

I thought this was usual. Seeing other users on the Ioniq site both in the US and Europe also having to go to do a 5000km check up/service on their new cars.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 8th, 2017, 12:03 am

Did they give conditions for the 15000km service interval... Like "normal driving conditions" etc.
I find that a bit long considering the stop and start nature of the engine and its switching duty with the motor

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 8th, 2017, 12:24 am

Honda accord hybrid has a guy in a long term test . He kept it do 40000 miles. The car computer says went to service. He only had to do it twice. Stop and go traffic will be on electric power it stands to reason that service times will be long.

I was on a ioniq forum and they said was 10000 miles

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 8th, 2017, 12:30 am

Not exactly the way I see it... If the oil in the engine is not brought up to temp, it will be similar to doing a short trip... And short trips are classified as severe for a reason

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 8th, 2017, 12:48 am

Well the accord hybrid needed 2 oil change in 40000 miles. Go figure

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » September 8th, 2017, 6:47 am

We'd see how it goes I guess. The only reason I think 15000km seems long for me is the distance I'm usually driving. May adjust it accordingly.

Sent from my Z828 using TriniTuner mobile app

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 8th, 2017, 8:40 am

kamakazi wrote:Not exactly the way I see it... If the oil in the engine is not brought up to temp, it will be similar to doing a short trip... And short trips are classified as severe for a reason

An engine takes a while to cool down ... The stop start nature of the engine will not cool the car back down to the point that it needs to warm back up. So restarting does not put extra wear on the engine. There was a good article on popular mechanics a few years back talking about stop start technology and what it means for long term reliability.

Its the same with stop start euro's that are not hybrids.

The only thing that takes extra wear is the start motor ... but they are beefed up in hybrids and cars with stop start function.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 8th, 2017, 9:11 am

Do not know when it will get thru to people that EV and Hybrids require less maintenance.

The things really keeping back EV is the whole range , cost, interlocking factors.

High range is possible but cost will be high

Low cost is possible but the range will be low

Once these get sorted out hybrids and EVs are actually better vehicles

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 8th, 2017, 9:55 am

drchaos wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Not exactly the way I see it... If the oil in the engine is not brought up to temp, it will be similar to doing a short trip... And short trips are classified as severe for a reason

An engine takes a while to cool down ... The stop start nature of the engine will not cool the car back down to the point that it needs to warm back up. So restarting does not put extra wear on the engine. There was a good article on popular mechanics a few years back talking about stop start technology and what it means for long term reliability.

The only thing that takes extra wear is the start motor ... but they are beefed up in hybrids and cars with stop start function.

I hear you but you missed my point entirely... "If the oil in the engine is not brought up to temp" in the first place.
It takes a while (could be more than 10 minutes) to get all the systems to their operating temp in the first place when it only has an internal combustion engine. Any stop start system will add to that.

Can you post a link to that article you are referring to...I tried searching but the only article I found was stop start systems must go... Which is an old article but that is all I found.

@ Pariaman
Would you buy any used vehicle that has its oil changed every 20000kms.

Have to remember that car manufacturers and dealers are also in this business to make money.
Which is cheaper to replace, oil or an engine. Thing is, When it is out of the warranty period... Most people sell their vehicle which is destined to fail sooner rather than later because of these practices... Then it is someone else's problem to deal with

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 8th, 2017, 9:59 am

It all depends on how much work the ICE is getting if the car computer is calculating that you are running more on EV mode then there is no need to change oil as often
Last edited by PariaMan on September 8th, 2017, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 8th, 2017, 10:10 am

Remember some hybrid cars can go up to 80 kph before the gas engines kicks in. So stop and start will mostly be on The Electric side. I can see a possible problem with non hybrid but the hybrid it should be ok .

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » September 8th, 2017, 10:36 am

Forgot to show this yesterday. Doing around 18.2km/l average. Which isn't bad. Translates to around 42.8mpg. Range as of now just under 900km. But it goes up and down according to how I drive.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 8th, 2017, 10:54 am

PariaMan wrote:Remember some hybrid cars can go up to 80 kph before the gas engines kicks in. So stop and start will mostly be on The Electric side. I can see a possible problem with non hybrid but the hybrid it should be ok .

@pariaman
Would you buy it?
20000km service interval used hybrid

@snypaz
That range is pretty good

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 8th, 2017, 11:30 am

It's a Honda accord yes with my eyes closed .Did a lot of research on these vehicles and the reviews are all good. If the service on an ioniq is 10000 miles an accord 20000 miles. With the computer telling you the miles on the ICE why not?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 8th, 2017, 11:32 am

I could see if you mostly drive under 80kph then much less than half the milage will be load on the ICE

Modern computing will easily calculate the running hours of the ICE

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 8th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Honda accord hybrid should be fine with long oil change intervals as the engine is not used to turn the wheels unless the car is at highway speeds, it mainly charges the battery that is then used with an electric motor. This means the petrol engine is not up and down the rev range like a normal car so less wear and tear on the engine.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 8th, 2017, 12:13 pm

kamakazi wrote:
drchaos wrote:

I hear you but you missed my point entirely... "If the oil in the engine is not brought up to temp" in the first place.
It takes a while (could be more than 10 minutes) to get all the systems to their operating temp in the first place when it only has an internal combustion engine. Any stop start system will add to that.

Can you post a link to that article you are referring to...I tried searching but the only article I found was stop start systems must go... Which is an old article but that is all I found.

@ Pariaman

Have to remember that car manufacturers and dealers are also in this business to make money.
Which is cheaper to replace, oil or an engine. Thing is, When it is out of the warranty period... Most people sell their vehicle which is destined to fail sooner rather than later because of these practices... Then it is someone else's problem to deal with

It was physical paper magazine which I read back in 2015. The two Audi's with stop start that I rented in the UK in the last two visits had Stop Start but it would not shut off at stopping unless the engine was up to temp.

Not sure if the Hybrids work the same .... good point you making.
The test drive I did with the Ioniq the engine was already up to temp while it kept stopping and starting. Dont know how it would react when cold.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » September 8th, 2017, 1:27 pm

I was reading the specs of a hybrid vehicle a while back, I think it was an axio, and the ice comes on and reaches operating temp (if not in ev mode) before it sits of for the first time, so I guess one it turns on, it stays in until it is warmed up

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 8th, 2017, 3:18 pm

drchaos wrote:
kamakazi wrote:
drchaos wrote:

@ Pariaman

It was physical paper magazine which I read back in 2015. The two Audi's with stop start that I rented in the UK in the last two visits had Stop Start but it would not shut off at stopping unless the engine was up to temp.

Not sure if the Hybrids work the same .... good point you making.
The test drive I did with the Ioniq the engine was already up to temp while it kept stopping and starting. Dont know how it would react when cold.

there are many articles online that show advances in starters, main bearing materials and engine oils all help to make stop/start a very viable option
http://autoweek.com/article/technology/ ... k-explains

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » September 8th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Back to ioniq owner.... how is the backseat legroom??

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » September 8th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Not bad. I'm 6'6" and I was comfy behind the passenger side. It's no Maybach, so maybe two tall people can sit in the back. But 3 shorter person's can sit comfortably. Even if I'm driving.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 8th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Does the Ioniq stop start when the engine is cold?

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » September 8th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Yes. It does.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 8th, 2017, 8:22 pm

U can turn off that eco turn off on feature right ?
All them Porsche come with it
Non local newer hilux

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » September 8th, 2017, 11:00 pm

pugboy wrote:U can turn off that eco turn off on feature right ?
All them Porsche come with it
Non local newer hilux

But this is a hybrid. So what would be the point ? It would do city traffic on electric anyway

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » September 8th, 2017, 11:03 pm

No. There's Eco Mode. And Sport Mode. Haven't been in Sport Mode yet cause I don't have the need for it.
Last edited by snypaz on September 8th, 2017, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » September 8th, 2017, 11:06 pm

The EV mode was still active at 79km/h tonight on the highway. This was weird but appreciated.

Also the avg is now 24.7km/l or 69mpg.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”