punchin NOS

Re: Hyundai Ioniq in Trinidad...

Postby PariaMan » April 3rd, 2018, 8:55 pm

Any news yet on the full ev

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » April 3rd, 2018, 8:57 pm

I'd love to see it in person. Gonna try to see what's the avg range per charge on the online forums.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 3rd, 2018, 9:01 pm

It reach already?

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 3rd, 2018, 9:28 pm

snypaz wrote:Yes, If you take your time, the EV will take you from 0-60km/h. If you're looking for quick acceleration, the engine will kick in. I have experienced EV mode at speeds higher than quoted by the dealership and manufacturers. After awhile, you learn the car and how to activate EV mode at different times while driving. I'm an Ioniq owner. And at 9000km+ I have no issues. Still averaging 875km+ on a tank with AC on 99% of the time and I'm loving it. Absolute bliss.

Not talking about quick acceleration, even between humps or in traffic, if I let off the brakes, fine, EV mode. 2% throttle, EV mode. 5% throttle, engine kicks in. It really felt as if the motor was only for rolling of the line.

This has me really skeptical about going hybrid. I was under the impression that below a certain speed I would be able to drive relatively normally in EV mode given no hard acceleration and sufficient charge.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 3rd, 2018, 10:11 pm

Just saying but the important thing is the overall gas mileage and if it is lining up with the figure touted by the manufacturers ,

As far as snypaz is concerned he seems to be getting the advertised mileage in the real world which is simply fantastic

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » April 4th, 2018, 1:49 am

I figure the fully loaded $215K model has the handsfree bluetooth and phone connectivity where you can take/make calls, stream music from your phone, etc, but does the base $189K model have this functionality as well?

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » April 4th, 2018, 6:49 am

dredman1 wrote:I figure the fully loaded $215K model has the handsfree bluetooth and phone connectivity where you can take/make calls, stream music from your phone, etc, but does the base $189K model have this functionality as well?

Yes. I can stream music from my device from Bluetooth, and there are hands free controls on the steering wheel. My phone automatically connects to the car as soon as it turns on. Even if the Bluetooth on the phone is off.

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » April 4th, 2018, 7:21 am

Strugglerzinc wrote:
snypaz wrote:Yes, If you take your time, the EV will take you from 0-60km/h. If you're looking for quick acceleration, the engine will kick in. I have experienced EV mode at speeds higher than quoted by the dealership and manufacturers. After awhile, you learn the car and how to activate EV mode at different times while driving. I'm an Ioniq owner. And at 9000km+ I have no issues. Still averaging 875km+ on a tank with AC on 99% of the time and I'm loving it. Absolute bliss.

Not talking about quick acceleration, even between humps or in traffic, if I let off the brakes, fine, EV mode. 2% throttle, EV mode. 5% throttle, engine kicks in. It really felt as if the motor was only for rolling of the line.

This has me really skeptical about going hybrid. I was under the impression that below a certain speed I would be able to drive relatively normally in EV mode given no hard acceleration and sufficient charge.

OK. Let me try to explain this better. I do a mixture of highway driving and city weekly. For instance, I went from the Avenue to Grande to POS just yesterday. 124km trip. And I think my avg consumption was around 27km/l. You can work out the mpg of that. When you learn the car, after time, you'd discover that how you accelerate and drive, will determine if the EV mode stays on or off. You should test drive the Ioniq first and then decide. And as I've said before, I've been in EV mode up to 100km/h while accelerating. So if this is a concern for you, then maybe the hybrid isn't the best bet. The car will respond to what it thinks you need. So if you do press the acceleration a lil more than usual, the car will kick in the engine to match. So no, if you're looking for EV mode between 0-55km/h no matter how hard you press the acceleration, you won't get it in any hybrid. That's not how it works. My wife who has a heavy foot, has learnt over time to basically work the system and get whats best out of the car. I fill up ONCE every three weeks. Every 3rd Saturday. Why should I complain? And I think that's the point. The car is NO snail. But don't expect to be saving gas by doing what you want either. Lol.

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Hyundai Ioniq in Trinidad...

Postby snypaz » April 4th, 2018, 7:22 am

But I only speak for the Ioniq. And I think the Niro is the same car in a different shell.

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » April 4th, 2018, 7:26 am

PariaMan wrote:It reach already?

I think ONE is here. Probably to test the waters etc before they bring the others. I'm really trying to get more info on that.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » April 4th, 2018, 7:59 am

averaging 875 is impressive. im halfway thru my tank and i'm estimated about 820km now. pretty sure that's gonna go down as i've noticed it doing throughout my drives (started at 950km).

Eco - 95%, normal - 5%, Aggressive - 0% ... wonder if my foot is heavy... but i doubt!

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Hyundai Ioniq in Trinidad...

Postby snypaz » April 4th, 2018, 8:13 am

st7 wrote:averaging 875 is impressive. im halfway thru my tank and i'm estimated about 820km now. pretty sure that's gonna go down as i've noticed it doing throughout my drives (started at 950km).

Eco - 95%, normal - 5%, Aggressive - 0% ... wonder if my foot is heavy... but i doubt!

I start around 1000km and then it goes down. But between 860-875km is my usual. I always keep tabs on it. But if you want to save some km, take the AC off. I know it's really hot, but it does help.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » April 4th, 2018, 8:50 am

snypaz wrote:
st7 wrote:averaging 875 is impressive. im halfway thru my tank and i'm estimated about 820km now. pretty sure that's gonna go down as i've noticed it doing throughout my drives (started at 950km).

I start around 1000km and then it goes down. But between 860-875km is my usual. I always keep tabs on it. But if you want to save some km, take the AC off. I know it's really hot, but it does help.

AC>Gas any day!!!!!

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » April 4th, 2018, 9:03 am

hahaha yuh know!

snypaz - yuh good. not me and that heat!

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » April 4th, 2018, 9:11 am

st7 wrote:hahaha yuh know!

snypaz - yuh good. not me and that heat!

That heat is problems. Employ the no AC method at night though.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » April 4th, 2018, 10:01 am

Strugglerzinc wrote:

As a Toyota Hybrid owner, I can answer this.

I drive my car in ECO mode 100% of the time. The EV response to the pedal changes depending on the charge of the battery. I will confirm that in the Prius, you can achieve "quick" acceleration in full EV provided you select EV mode and have enough charge in the battery. The car was not meant to do this however, so I don't recommend this habit as it reduces the life of the battery.

For main road driving, once you have about 60% charge or above, you can pull off comfortably and keep up with traffic.
I will say however that this is the Prius which has a bigger system overall than the 1NZ-FXE system present in the Aqua and Fielder.

Practice pulse & glide techniques so that you spend more time coasting.
Increase tyre pressure to reduce rolling resistance.

In my case, as long as the car is driving, the A/C has virtually no impact on the mileage since the compressor runs off of the HV battery. Once the engine is turning, it's feeding excess energy to that HV battery. Regen braking also feeds energy.
I've tried making the same trips over the span of a week with vs without A/C and my average was no different.

When parked though, the car will start and run for 2 minutes to every 15 to 20 minutes of A/C

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 4th, 2018, 10:51 am

DJ Q wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:

As a Toyota Hybrid owner, I can answer this.

I drive my car in ECO mode 100% of the time. The EV response to the pedal changes depending on the charge of the battery. I will confirm that in the Prius, you can achieve "quick" acceleration in full EV provided you select EV mode and have enough charge in the battery. The car was not meant to do this however, so I don't recommend this habit as it reduces the life of the battery.

For main road driving, once you have about 60% charge or above, you can pull off comfortably and keep up with traffic.
I will say however that this is the Prius which has a bigger system overall than the 1NZ-FXE system present in the Aqua and Fielder.

Practice pulse & glide techniques so that you spend more time coasting.
Increase tyre pressure to reduce rolling resistance.

In my case, as long as the car is driving, the A/C has virtually no impact on the mileage since the compressor runs off of the HV battery. Once the engine is turning, it's feeding excess energy to that HV battery. Regen braking also feeds energy.
I've tried making the same trips over the span of a week with vs without A/C and my average was no different.

When parked though, the car will start and run for 2 minutes to every 15 to 20 minutes of A/C

I figure it's how that Fielder operates and I think it's not optimal for me. Even with EV mode selected with 90%+ charge it turns on the engine under even mild acceleration. Good thing it's not my car. Will definitely test drive the Niro or Ioniq when it comes to that.

I don't have the self control to baby a vehicle as much as that Fielder. Don't even get me started on the CVT. At least the Koreans have a regular automatic.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » April 4th, 2018, 11:22 am

Operating a hybrid vehicle requires an entirely different outlook from what you expect from the driving experience. For someone who is accustomed to quick acceleration and the sensation of shifting gears, the hybrid experience will come as a shock. For me, it took some getting used to, since my daily driver is a manual. However, the savings at the pump, as well as the appreciation of the technology at work in the hybrid, has caused me to shift focus on not so much performance, but comfortable and steady adjustments while driving, to maximise fuel economy. There is a certain satisfaction in driving to maximise fuel economy, I have averaged about 35% distance on electric power alone (2625km / 7500 km total) and averaging about 55 mpg since I've had the car. I too was skeptical at first, but now I enjoy the hybrid almost as much as my manual vehicle.
Last edited by wing on April 4th, 2018, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » April 5th, 2018, 6:15 am

wing wrote:Operating a hybrid vehicle requires an entirely different outlook from what you expect from the driving experience. As someone who is accustomed to quick acceleration and the sensation of shifting gears, the hybrid experience will come as a shock. For me, it took some getting used to, since my daily driver is a manual. However, the savings at the pump, as well as the appreciation of the technology at work in the hybrid, has caused me to shift focus on not so much performance, but comfortable and steady adjustments while driving, to maximise fuel economy. There is a certain satisfaction in driving to maximise fuel economy, I have averaged about 35% distance on electric power alone (2625km / 7500 km total) and averaging about 55 mpg since I've had the car. I too was skeptical at first, but now I enjoy the hybrid almost as much as my manual vehicle.

Thank you for sharing this.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » April 5th, 2018, 4:53 pm

snypaz wrote:
dredman1 wrote:I figure the fully loaded $215K model has the handsfree bluetooth and phone connectivity where you can take/make calls, stream music from your phone, etc, but does the base $189K model have this functionality as well?

Yes. I can stream music from my device from Bluetooth, and there are hands free controls on the steering wheel. My phone automatically connects to the car as soon as it turns on. Even if the Bluetooth on the phone is off.

Thanks

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » April 6th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Got a flat today driving on the highway, the sensor let me know which tyre it was and it got flat within minutes... it has the spare tyre right now (which i'm assuming has a sensor as well because it looks like the other wheels) and after an hr of driving, the warning on the dash says 'Check Tire Monitoring System' ... any way to get rid of that or I gotta go into massy?

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » April 6th, 2018, 5:26 pm

What about taking off the car in order to reset the system? Never experienced it before. Have you checked the manual?

mazdatt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mazdatt » April 6th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Most likely the spare does not have the TPMS sensor so once you repair the flat and put in the original rim that message should go away.

This is what the TPMS sensor looks like...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/VDO-Tire-Press ... 4097.l9055

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » April 6th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Yeah, i was looking thru the manual, but i guess i have to look again.

I thought the spare would have a sensor because IIRC i see the manual mentioning rotating the tyres with spare included.

I'm gonna repair the tyre tmr and put it back on. if it doesn't disappear, i'll check with massy.

SidZ
Street 2NR

Postby SidZ » April 6th, 2018, 7:55 pm

st7 wrote:Yeah, i was looking thru the manual, but i guess i have to look again.

I thought the spare would have a sensor because IIRC i see the manual mentioning rotating the tyres with spare included.

I'm gonna repair the tyre tmr and put it back on. if it doesn't disappear, i'll check with massy.

The spare does not have the sensor. Once you put back on the tyre with the sensor and the pressure is at 36psi the message will clear itself. I usually get the same error when the pressure drops below 32psi. Goes after I pressure it.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » April 7th, 2018, 11:12 am

Thanks for the info!

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » April 10th, 2018, 8:57 am

SidZ wrote:
st7 wrote:Yeah, i was looking thru the manual, but i guess i have to look again.

The spare does not have the sensor. Once you put back on the tyre with the sensor and the pressure is at 36psi the message will clear itself. I usually get the same error when the pressure drops below 32psi. Goes after I pressure it.

Patched and put back the original tyre, and after a few seconds of driving, the notification went away.

Thanks for the advice again!

SidZ
Street 2NR

Postby SidZ » April 10th, 2018, 11:13 pm

st7 wrote:
SidZ wrote:

Patched and put back the original tyre, and after a few seconds of driving, the notification went away.

Thanks for the advice again!

NP... just helping out a fellow ioniq owner!

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » April 11th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Remember what I was saying about the EV mode working at speeds not mentioned by the manufacturer? Well over 55km/h. And still accelerating.

I don’t usually use the phone while driving, But I had to share.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » April 12th, 2018, 12:18 am

Very impressive.
How long would it stay like that before the gas engine kicks in?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”