Forums

X TRAIL HYBRID ISSUES?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SPEC_C
3NE 2NR for life

X TRAIL HYBRID ISSUES?

Postby SPEC_C » April 13th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Heard the x trail hybrid has issues with the transmission something to the effect that the tranny oil is too thin for our climate leading to failure...anyone had this experience??

Monkey Man
Riding on 18's

Re: X TRAIL HYBRID ISSUES

Postby Monkey Man » April 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm

thats the model with the big lights?

SPEC_C
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SPEC_C » April 13th, 2017, 2:59 pm

no its the newer model...not the boxy looking model

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » April 13th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Are you sure that there IS a transmission (read gearbox or automatic gearbox) in a Hybrid X-Trail ?
In the Toyota Prius Hybrid, there is none.
Peace.
RR.

SPEC_C
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SPEC_C » April 13th, 2017, 3:08 pm

yes its a CVT tranny

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 13th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Where did you hear this?

SPEC_C
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SPEC_C » April 13th, 2017, 3:40 pm

heard it from a garage is south a customer brought in one with tranny failure and the guy said it was due to the fluid not being compatible with our climate....

Monkey Man
Riding on 18's

Postby Monkey Man » April 13th, 2017, 3:42 pm

u basing this on one case?

SPEC_C
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SPEC_C » April 13th, 2017, 3:51 pm

no i called the mech and he said its all the x trails(2014-2016)....so i was just inquiring whether anyone else experiencing this issue or if its a one off because according to him its all....

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » April 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm

SPEC_C wrote:Heard the x trail hybrid has issues with the transmission something to the effect that the tranny oil is too thin for our climate leading to failure...anyone had this experience??

Anytime someone attributes the "climate" of trinidad to causing issues with their cars i can't help but cringe. Even if you don't know, a simple google search would tell you that Japan's summer temperatures are similar to ours. But just incase ....
"The hottest summer weather is to be found around Tokyo and in some other parts of Honshu, Japan's main island, where the temperature can reach almost 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit). In August 2013, a high of 41.0 degrees Celsius was recorded in Ekawasaki, Kochi Prefecture"

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » April 13th, 2017, 4:19 pm

so the oil probably started to fail in japan an the used car importers did not change out these semi-burnt fluids ?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » April 13th, 2017, 4:38 pm

I believe all fluids must be changed once purchasing a used vehicle. No exceptions as this is the life of those moving parts

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 13th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Saw one service center advertising a recall on the Hybrid.

Can't find any info online so they probably trying to drum up business with imaginary issues.

Out$!der
Riding on 13's

Postby Out$!der » April 14th, 2017, 9:04 am

I bought one as well. Saw the video clip from south also. I dont think we should take one unit issue onto all.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TriniTuner mobile app

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » April 14th, 2017, 10:13 am

I like those units. Well equipped. Would surely be interested in one if I needed an SUV

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » April 14th, 2017, 2:19 pm

ramishrrr wrote:Are you sure that there IS a transmission (read gearbox or automatic gearbox) in a Hybrid X-Trail ?
Peace.
RR.

Ah CVT is not "transmission" ???

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » April 14th, 2017, 2:27 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:
SPEC_C wrote:Heard the x trail hybrid has issues with the transmission something to the effect that the tranny oil is too thin for our climate leading to failure...anyone had this experience??

Anytime someone attributes the "climate" of trinidad to causing issues with their cars i can't help but cringe. Even if you don't know, a simple google search would tell you that Japan's summer temperatures are similar to ours. But just incase ....
"The hottest summer weather is to be found around Tokyo and in some other parts of Honshu, Japan's main island, where the temperature can reach almost 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit). In August 2013, a high of 41.0 degrees Celsius was recorded in Ekawasaki, Kochi Prefecture"

You can't compare japan's similar temperatures to ours ... We have high humidity which makes air cooling way less efficient vs Japan's dryer summer climate. Also their temperatures aren't hot all year round while ours is. The next factor is traffic which we have a hell of a alot of, traffic is the most stressful thing on your transmission and engine. Couple all those factors and your car has to deal with way more stress than one in Japan. So if your car has a weak spot or a design flaw then should become more apparent in T&T. Just like VW jetta's here which had an alarming rate of mechatronic failures for the tranny vs cooler climates.

Lastly that 40 degree Celsius is not a normal occurrence.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 14th, 2017, 2:40 pm

drchaos wrote:
fokhan_96 wrote:

You can't compare japan's similar temperatures to ours ... We have high humidity which makes air cooling way less efficient vs Japan's dryer summer climate. Also their temperatures aren't hot all year round while ours is. The next factor is traffic which we have a hell of a alot of, traffic is the most stressful thing on your transmission and engine. Couple all those factors and your car has to deal with way more stress than one in Japan. So if your car has a weak spot or a design flaw then should become more apparent in T&T. Just like VW jetta's here which had an alarming rate of mechatronic failures for the tranny vs cooler climates.

Lastly that 40 degree Celsius is not a normal occurrence.

The traffic in Trinidad is no where near the traffic in Tokyo. The Caribbean has no extreme weather testing. Those test facilities are saved for North Africa, Australia, Spain and the US Southwest. The UV in Trinidad is higher than most places, though. And polymer hydrolysis is high because of a combination of pollution and moderately warm and moist atmosphere.

You just may have a situation where the CVT (constantly variable transmission) has a design flaw.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » April 14th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Dave wrote:I believe all fluids must be changed once purchasing a used vehicle. No exceptions as this is the life of those moving parts

this. that someone would drive a vehicle from a foreign country without changing ALL fluids (if it wasnt done by the dealer before leaving said country) is just...... idoitic at best.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » April 14th, 2017, 5:26 pm

ramishrrr wrote:Are you sure that there IS a transmission (read gearbox or automatic gearbox) in a Hybrid X-Trail ?
Peace.
RR.

not all Hybrids are DirectDrive as yet.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 14th, 2017, 6:19 pm

BANzai Rastafarai wrote:
Dave wrote:I believe all fluids must be changed once purchasing a used vehicle. No exceptions as this is the life of those moving parts

this. that someone would drive a vehicle from a foreign country without changing ALL fluids (if it wasnt done by the dealer before leaving said country) is just...... idoitic at best.

yup, even when I buy a local used car. Me eh care if the previous owner say he changed it last week. I still changing it to set my service baseline.

ALIS
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ALIS » April 14th, 2017, 7:34 pm

If the Xtrail Hybrid is a 2015 model, there were recalls in Japan by Nissan with respect to the battery and CVT defects.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 14th, 2017, 7:41 pm

BANzai Rastafarai wrote:

Why the qualification of a foreign car needing the fluids changed? Fleet vehicles in Japan are typically very well cared for, in my experience. Most of the garages that I have visited in Japan are spotless. German garages are another level of cleanliness - almost surgical.

I would rather buy a previously owned company owned vehicle fom a reputable I porter than a "lady driven, locally serviced" car in Trinidad that racked up 100k kilometers getting flogged as a PH between Chaguanas and San Fernando.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 14th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with Climate. Also Humidity does NOT affect cooling of a car in the way it affects cooling of humans. Real Feel temp only applies to living things if anything Humidity should be a bonus help when cooling metal.

3/4 of Mechanics in this country eh know they ass from they big toe. When my civic had a problem regarding the sun, if you park it up in the sun and send up the glass the car would not start until nightfall. When I explained this to the average mechanic they would give me this retarded dotish look the kind that the mongoose does give you in the headlights before you run them over.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 14th, 2017, 8:20 pm

What turned out to be the problem with the Civic??
Sounds more electrical than mechanical

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 14th, 2017, 8:34 pm

kamakazi wrote:What turned out to be the problem with the Civic??
Sounds more electrical than mechanical

From a google search it appeared to be the main relay, when it refused to start the spark plugs wouldn't get current but the distributor was fine and all relays in the engine was fine.

There was another issue the brainbox would only last 6 months at a time every 6 months I had to buy a brain box. Always would burn out and exact same capacitor would burn. No electrician or mechanic had a clue what to do they even checked the entire car and ran full tests all was fine.

I sold that car and bought a bicycle, best decision I ever made. My job was 1 mile away so yeah a bike was fine.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 14th, 2017, 8:47 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with Climate. Also Humidity does NOT affect cooling of a car in the way it affects cooling of humans. Real Feel temp only applies to living things if anything Humidity should be a bonus help when cooling metal.

3/4 of Mechanics in this country eh know they ass from they big toe. When my civic had a problem regarding the sun, if you park it up in the sun and send up the glass the car would not start until nightfall. When I explained this to the average mechanic they would give me this retarded dotish look the kind that the mongoose does give you in the headlights before you run them over.

You're right. Humidity increases the thermal density capability of air so that it does aid in conductive cooling. But because of the air flow from driving or the radiator fan, the difference is negligible.

Honda had a problem with the main relay overheating and failing to energize the crank circuit.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 14th, 2017, 8:48 pm

So u made your problem somebody else's lol

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » April 14th, 2017, 8:54 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with Climate. Also Humidity does NOT affect cooling of a car in the way it affects cooling of humans. Real Feel temp only applies to living things if anything Humidity should be a bonus help when cooling metal.

Real science would disagree with you on that, humidity does affect the thermal conductivity of air. The thermal conductivity of air has nothing to do with cooling of human skin or the metal on a radiator.

https://www.electronics-cooling.com/200 ... moist-air/

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 14th, 2017, 9:14 pm

So... Changing fluids on recently acquired used vehicles...I would do it and do recommend it as you have no idea of the service history of the vehicle. Also have no idea how much the clock has been adjusted... And there are some severely modified odometers.
Changing most of the fluids and certain service items gives you a clean slate to work with so when problems do arise
A clean slate makes it easy to diagnose problems when they do happen.

Concerning the car on the highway being flogged for 100k km ...I only consider that severe driving conditions depending on the engine size of the vehicle, with the severity going up as the engine size goes down.

There are also items that can easily identify abuse if not replaced

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”