Forums

New speed limit soon?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

drchaos
punchin NOS

Re: New speed limit soon?

Postby drchaos » May 9th, 2017, 3:30 pm

adnj wrote:Look at the issue in its entirety. Collisions and fatalities occur in developing nations at a higher rate. The most effective way to reduce those effects is to simply lower the speed limit.

This excerpt is worth noting:

An increase in average speed is directly related both to the likelihood of a crash occurring and to the severity of the consequences of the crash. For example, an increase of 1 km/h in mean vehicle speed results in an increase of 3% in the incidence of crashes resulting in injury and an increase of 4–5% in the incidence of fatal crashes. An adult pedestrian’s risk of dying is less than 20% if struck by a car at 50 km/h and almost 60% if hit at 80 km/h.

=====================

Road traffic injuries

Fact sheet
Updated May 2017

Key facts

About 1.25 million people die each year as a result of road traffic crashes. Road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death among people aged between 15 and 29 years. 90% of the world's fatalities on the roads occur in low- and middle-income countries, even though these countries have approximately 54% of the world's vehicles.Nearly half of those dying on the world’s roads are “vulnerable road users”: pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists.Road traffic crashes cost most countries 3% of their gross domestic product.Without sustained action, road traffic crashes are predicted to become the seventh leading cause of death by 2030. The newly adopted 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development has set an ambitious target of halving the global number of deaths and injuries from road traffic crashes by 2020.

Every year the lives of approximately 1.25 million people are cut short as a result of a road traffic crash. Between 20 and 50 million more people suffer non-fatal injuries, with many incurring a disability as a result of their injury.

Road traffic injuries cause considerable economic losses to individuals, their families, and to nations as a whole. These losses arise from the cost of treatment as well as lost productivity for those killed or disabled by their injuries, and for family members who need to take time off work or school to care for the injured. Road traffic crashes cost most countries 3% of their gross domestic product.

Who is at risk?

Socioeconomic status

More than 90% of road traffic deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries. Road traffic injury death rates are highest in the African region. Even within high-income countries, people from lower socioeconomic backgrounds are more likely to be involved in road traffic crashes.

People aged between 15 and 44 years account for 48% of global road traffic deaths.

Sex

From a young age, males are more likely to be involved in road traffic crashes than females. About three quarters (73%) of all road traffic deaths occur among young males under the age of 25 years who are almost 3 times as likely to be killed in a road traffic crash as young females.

Risk factors

The Safe System approach: accommodating human error

The Safe System approach to road safety aims to ensure a safe transport system for all road users. Such an approach takes into account people’s vulnerability to serious injuries in road traffic crashes and recognizes that the system should be designed to be forgiving of human error. The cornerstones of this approach are safe roads and roadsides, safe speeds, safe vehicles, and safe road users, all of which must be addressed in order to eliminate fatal crashes and reduce serious injuries.

Speeding

An increase in average speed is directly related both to the likelihood of a crash occurring and to the severity of the consequences of the crash. For example, an increase of 1 km/h in mean vehicle speed results in an increase of 3% in the incidence of crashes resulting in injury and an increase of 4–5% in the incidence of fatal crashes. An adult pedestrian’s risk of dying is less than 20% if struck by a car at 50 km/h and almost 60% if hit at 80 km/h.Driving under the influence of alcohol and other psychoactive substancesDriving under the influence of alcohol and any psychoactive substance or drug increases the risk of a crash that results in death or serious injuries.In the case of drink-driving, the risk of a road traffic crash starts at low levels of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and increases significantly when the driver's BAC is ≥ 0.04 g/dl.In the case of drug-driving, the risk of incurring a road traffic crash is increased to differing degrees depending on the psychoactive drug used. For example, the risk of a fatal crash occurring among those who have used amphetamines is about 5 times the risk of someone who hasn't.Nonuse of motorcycle helmets, seat-belts, and child restraintsWearing a motorcycle helmet correctly can reduce the risk of death by almost 40% and the risk of severe injury by over 70%.Wearing a seat-belt reduces the risk of a fatality among front-seat passengers by 40–50% and of rear-seat passengers by between 25–75%.If correctly installed and used, child restraints reduce deaths among infants by approximately 70% and deaths among small children by between 54% and 80%.Distracted driving

There are many types of distractions that can lead to impaired driving. The distraction caused by mobile phones is a growing concern for road safety.

Drivers using mobile phones are approximately 4 times more likely to be involved in a crash than drivers not using a mobile phone. Using a phone while driving slows reaction times (notably braking reaction time, but also reaction to traffic signals), and makes it difficult to keep in the correct lane, and to keep the correct following distances.Hands-free phones are not much safer than hand-held phone sets, and texting considerably increases the risk of a crash.Unsafe road infrastructure

The design of roads can have a considerable impact on their safety. Ideally, roads should be designed keeping in mind the safety of all road users. This would mean making sure that there are adequate facilities for pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. Measures such as footpaths, cycling lanes, safe crossing points, and other traffic calming measures can be critical to reducing the risk of injury among these road users.

Unsafe vehicles

Safe vehicles play a critical role in averting crashes and reducing the likelihood of serious injury. There are a number of UN regulations on vehicle safety that, if applied to countries’ manufacturing and production standards, would potentially save many lives. These include requiring vehicle manufacturers to meet front and side impact regulations, to include electronic stability control (to prevent over-steering) and to ensure airbags and seat-belts are fitted in all vehicles. Without these basic standards the risk of traffic injuries – both to those in the vehicle and those out of it – is considerably increased.

Inadequate post-crash care

Delays in detecting and providing care for those involved in a road traffic crash increase the severity of injuries. Care of injuries after a crash has occurred is extremely time-sensitive: delays of minutes can make the difference between life and death.

Inadequate law enforcement of traffic laws

If traffic laws on drink-driving, seat-belt wearing, speed limits, helmets, and child restraints are not enforced, they cannot bring about the expected reduction in road traffic fatalities and injuries related to specific behaviours. Thus, if traffic laws are not enforced or are perceived as not being enforced it is likely they will not be complied with and therefore will have very little chance of influencing behaviour.

Effective enforcement includes establishing, regularly updating, and enforcing laws at the national, municipal, and local levels that address the above mentioned risk factors. It includes also the definition of appropriate penalties.

drchaos wrote:
adnj wrote:
drchaos wrote:

Speeding is hardly even a factor in causing RTA. The bulk of accidents are caused by distracted and undisciplined drivers.

Cracking down on the real cause of accidents would actually put a bigger dent in the "innocent" road casualties.

You are wrong. Speeding is a key risk factor in traffic accidents and fatalities. It has been tied to global lowered life expectancy by the World Health Organization.

Use and the ability to understand the English language is very important here.

If you do not understand the fundamental difference between a risk factor vs a causative factor. Then I am truly concerned :shock:

You still not understanding the difference between risk factor and causative factor.
WHO was very careful when they said risk factor and not cause.

Remember I said cause .... you said I was wrong then started talking about risk factors ... don't get chain up.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 9th, 2017, 6:05 pm

You are wrong again (and remember that we are discussing statistics and not language).

Let's pick apart the original post:

"Speeding is hardly even a factor. " REALLY wrong on this one. Also remember that speeding is going above the mean speed or faster than equipment or conditions indicate as safe. Not the same as "going fast".

The cause of most road traffic accidents is driver error. You say that drivers are distracted and undisciplined - that is simply not a cause. By definition, causality requires an event.

Decreased speed is the most effective method of reducing all traffic fatalities. Not cracking down - whatever you meant by that.

It seems as if you are trying to argue that human error is the cause and can be eliminated. It cannot.

I would like to see the speed limit raised, too. Vehicle safety was a professional concern of mine and I believe that popular opinion is sometimes just not aligned with the facts. But it seems like you're just talking out loud and want to prove that you're pissed off. Okay, I get that and I apologize if I have said something in this thread in such a way that implies that you are less intelligent or less interesting or whatever. If you want to further discuss any of these points, feel free to pm. I promise that I will respond politely.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 9th, 2017, 7:54 pm

drchaos wrote:
redmanjp wrote:
drchaos wrote:
redmanjp wrote:
drchaos wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:Just fed up of seeing so many innocent people getting killed as a direct result of idiots speeding and losing control or not taking into consideration that they cannot stop in time.
Speeding is not the only reason for people losing their lives on the roadways I know, but its one of the factors that contribute that we can try to control.

Speeding is hardly even a factor in causing RTA. The bulk of accidents are caused by distracted and undisciplined drivers.

Cracking down on the real cause of accidents would actually put a bigger dent in the "innocent" road casualties.
Instead they cracking down on speeding as a money making venture and chaining you up into thinking they trying to prevent road carnage. They really don't care about road deaths ... they concerned with balancing their budget.

it IS a factor- especially 100km in excess of the limit. yes there are other factors. but even if u distracted- being distracted at 80km could still allow u to have time to stop/take control of a situation, whereas at 180 u doh have time to do so- how much more 10s of metres every second u travelling? even if u hit at 80 the impact not going to be nearly as damaging as 180. u could break traffic laws but not d laws of physics.

btw accidents have reduced since they introduced the speed guns

The reductions in road deaths have been less than 10% .... somewhere around 7% which could be attributed to other factors as well. So not statistically significant.

So what you saying is the speed limit should be under 180 km/h? Like 170 KM/h cause that is less than 100 km over the speed limit. I like your thinking Friend!

where I said 170 is safe? all i meant was 180 is much more dangerous than 80.

check out the stats from Arrive Alive:

DATE 30th March 17
YEAR 2016 2017
# FATAL RTA’S 33 16 52% Decrease
# OF DEATHS 39 18 54% Decrease

According to TTPS the number is 11% reduction .... Like allu fellars forget to read and comprehend. 7-10% is somewhere around 11%.
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170111 ... -accidents

Arrive alive continues to lie, they initially lied about speed being the cause of around 60% of RTA in T&T.

that stat is comparing 2015 to 2016. speed guns were introduced May 2016 almost halfway through the year so it will not fully reflect the effect of introducing the speed guns- no enforcement before may 2016 would have skewed the stats. my stat compared 1st 3 months of 2016 before the speed guns to 1st 3 months after they were introduced.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » May 9th, 2017, 10:07 pm

adnj wrote:You are wrong again (and remember that we are discussing statistics and not language).

Let's pick apart the original post:

"Speeding is hardly even a factor. " REALLY wrong on this one. Also remember that speeding is going above the mean speed or faster than equipment or conditions indicate as safe. Not the same as "going fast".

The cause of most road traffic accidents is driver error. You say that drivers are distracted and undisciplined - that is simply not a cause. By definition, causality requires an event.

Decreased speed is the most effective method of reducing all traffic fatalities. Not cracking down - whatever you meant by that.

It seems as if you are trying to argue that human error is the cause and can be eliminated. It cannot.

I would like to see the speed limit raised, too. Vehicle safety was a professional concern of mine and I believe that popular opinion is sometimes just not aligned with the facts. But it seems like you're just talking out loud and want to prove that you're pissed off. Okay, I get that and I apologize if I have said something in this thread in such a way that implies that you are less intelligent or less interesting or whatever. If you want to further discuss any of these points, feel free to pm. I promise that I will respond politely.

Nah hoss ... speeding is going over 80 KM/H in T&T

I thought you were one of those arrive alive hippies, hence the angry outbursts. I apologize and retract all statements made. You don't deserve all of my misdirected anger. Its just that I get so angry sometimes with the way things are going in this country and when I hit the bottle hard I feel like I can't control the rage.
Last edited by drchaos on May 10th, 2017, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » May 9th, 2017, 10:16 pm

redmanjp wrote:
drchaos wrote:
redmanjp wrote:
drchaos wrote:
redmanjp wrote:
drchaos wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:Just fed up of seeing so many innocent people getting killed as a direct result of idiots speeding and losing control or not taking into consideration that they cannot stop in time.
Speeding is not the only reason for people losing their lives on the roadways I know, but its one of the factors that contribute that we can try to control.

Instead they cracking down on speeding as a money making venture and chaining you up into thinking they trying to prevent road carnage. They really don't care about road deaths ... they concerned with balancing their budget.

it IS a factor- especially 100km in excess of the limit. yes there are other factors. but even if u distracted- being distracted at 80km could still allow u to have time to stop/take control of a situation, whereas at 180 u doh have time to do so- how much more 10s of metres every second u travelling? even if u hit at 80 the impact not going to be nearly as damaging as 180. u could break traffic laws but not d laws of physics.

btw accidents have reduced since they introduced the speed guns

The reductions in road deaths have been less than 10% .... somewhere around 7% which could be attributed to other factors as well. So not statistically significant.

So what you saying is the speed limit should be under 180 km/h? Like 170 KM/h cause that is less than 100 km over the speed limit. I like your thinking Friend!

where I said 170 is safe? all i meant was 180 is much more dangerous than 80.

check out the stats from Arrive Alive:

DATE 30th March 17
YEAR 2016 2017
# FATAL RTA’S 33 16 52% Decrease
# OF DEATHS 39 18 54% Decrease

According to TTPS the number is 11% reduction .... Like allu fellars forget to read and comprehend. 7-10% is somewhere around 11%.
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170111 ... -accidents

Arrive alive continues to lie, they initially lied about speed being the cause of around 60% of RTA in T&T.

that stat is comparing 2015 to 2016. speed guns were introduced May 2016 almost halfway through the year so it will not fully reflect the effect of introducing the speed guns- no enforcement before may 2016 would have skewed the stats. my stat compared 1st 3 months of 2016 before the speed guns to 1st 3 months after they were introduced.

My bad you are right only 8 months of data in 2016 reflects speed gun usage! But your data is also incomplete, 3 months is too short of a sample size. Which does not take into account seasonal factors, weather and lots more things that could affect RTA's. We need a year minimum.

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » May 12th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Speeding does not cause accidents. It will however determine the severity of the damage and thus injuries, if any.
95% of accidents are caused by human behavior and disregard of simple defensive driving tactics. The other 5% is the freak accidents.
Let me give three common examples, and is entirely human behavior:

1) Driving on the SH highway, I am on the left lane doing about ah 90. I am behind a lady in a corolla doing about same speed like me. On the rear view mirror saw a benz bolting coming on the right lane. Ms lady eh even bother to watch and just pull on the right lane. Man in d benz hadda mash brakes like crazy. I pull on the shoulder to give him room.
2) Gulf City Traffic Light, going across to KFC. I behind a taxi man in a crown. Waiting for the light to turn green. Eventually turned green, man in the taxi eh bother to watch both sides even though he get green. 3 ton truck nearly clear him away.
3) Rain now start to fall, road wet and slippery and men speeding.

This is just a few of the many examples of how people in general drives in Trinidad. People now only think about themselves and lack simple defensive driving tactics. People have to learn to drive for themselves and for others. When that happens the accidents will stop.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » May 12th, 2017, 11:05 pm

mad wrote:Speeding does not cause accidents. It will however determine the severity of the damage and thus injuries, if any.
95% of accidents are caused by human behavior and disregard of simple defensive driving tactics. The other 5% is the freak accidents.

1) Driving on the SH highway, I am on the left lane doing about ah 90. I am behind a lady in a corolla doing about same speed like me. On the rear view mirror saw a benz bolting coming on the right lane. Ms lady eh even bother to watch and just pull on the right lane. Man in d benz hadda mash brakes like crazy. I pull on the shoulder to give him room.
2) Gulf City Traffic Light, going across to KFC. I behind a taxi man in a crown. Waiting for the light to turn green. Eventually turned green, man in the taxi eh bother to watch both sides even though he get green. 3 ton truck nearly clear him away.

This is just a few of the many examples of how people in general drives in Trinidad. People now only think about themselves and lack simple defensive driving tactics. People have to learn to drive for themselves and for others. When that happens the accidents will stop.

Dude stop talking so much sense ... They will tell you you wrong then blurt out some off topic crap like risk factors.

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » May 14th, 2017, 6:02 am

drchaos wrote:
mad wrote:Speeding does not cause accidents. It will however determine the severity of the damage and thus injuries, if any.

Dude stop talking so much sense ... They will tell you you wrong then blurt out some off topic crap like risk factors.

True. But people have to understand and accept this fact I am trying to make here.
Going behind the wheel is probably one of the most risky thing we will have to do on a daily basis. Whether you work on Drilling Platform or in an office there are engineering and administrative controls to prevent risk. But on the road it is mostly entirely up to the Driver Behavior. You can put your speed limits and highway patrol, but when d police eh dey we will all take a chance. I admit I does floor it on the highway at times but I does always use my Defensive driving tactics, but most people don't.
So this sheit what people does be saying "Speeding causes Accidents" is a big Lie. The key is to curb some of the Mad man driving behavior of drivers starting with Defensive Driving Training and thats just a start. We just need to be our brothers keepers and look out for each other on the road.

Just a Side Note: Even those multinational car companies are realizing that Human Behaviour when it comes to Driving is a hard task to curb and influence and that's why driverless cars are in the making now.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 14th, 2017, 6:25 am

Nevada raises speed limit to 80 mph on desert highway

By Scott Sonner | on May 13, 2017

FORTY MILE DESERT, Nev. — Of all the things you can do legally in Nevada but not most other places, driving 80 mph lately hasn’t been one of them.

That changed last week when new speed-limit signs started popping up in place of 75 mph markers on a stretch of the state’s main east-west highway.

Nevada joins a handful of other states — South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah — in allowing people to drive 80 mph in certain, mostly rural areas. The highest speed limit in the U.S. is 85 mph on a Texas toll road from Austin to San Antonio.

The higher speed is on 130 miles of Interstate 80 in the high desert, from 40 miles east of Reno to the rural town of Winnemucca.

Parts of Nevada’s colorful past and present dot the route, which runs along a trail used by pioneers bound for the Gold Rush in the 1840s. A state historical sign describes the Forty Mile Desert as a “barren stretch of waterless alkali wasteland,” while an 1850 survey there counted the remains of about 5,000 horses, 3,750 cattle, 1,060 mules and 950 graves.

Back then, it took wagon trains days to cover the 40 miles. Now motorists can do it in a half hour.

Westbound toward Reno, the speed limit drops to 65 mph between an industrial park that houses Tesla’s electric car battery plant and the infamous Mustang Ranch brothel, where legal prostitution has been regulated since 1971.

It remains 65 mph through the downtown casino district, where recreational marijuana goes on sale at nearby dispensaries July 1.

Gov. Brian Sandoval signed the new maximum into law 18 months ago, but highway engineers spent the past year examining places safe enough to go that fast. They’re considering future additions, but for now I-80 is it.

Dr. Alistair Chapman, a Las Vegas trauma surgeon, was among those who voiced concerns about crashes and urged lawmakers in 2015 to “put the brakes on this bill.”

But Chad Dornsife of the National Motorists Association said fatalities didn’t spike when other states raised the limit, partly because drivers spend less time on the road. “Fatigue is the biggest killer, not speed,” he said.

Nevada Highway Patrol and transportation officials originally opposed the change but came around after studies showed current travel averaging 78 to 80 mph.

Scott Sonner is an Associated Press writer.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 14th, 2017, 6:26 am

Nevada raises speed limit to 80 mph on desert highway

By Scott Sonner | on May 13, 2017

FORTY MILE DESERT, Nev. — Of all the things you can do legally in Nevada but not most other places, driving 80 mph lately hasn’t been one of them.

That changed last week when new speed-limit signs started popping up in place of 75 mph markers on a stretch of the state’s main east-west highway.

Nevada joins a handful of other states — South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah — in allowing people to drive 80 mph in certain, mostly rural areas. The highest speed limit in the U.S. is 85 mph on a Texas toll road from Austin to San Antonio.

The higher speed is on 130 miles of Interstate 80 in the high desert, from 40 miles east of Reno to the rural town of Winnemucca.

Parts of Nevada’s colorful past and present dot the route, which runs along a trail used by pioneers bound for the Gold Rush in the 1840s. A state historical sign describes the Forty Mile Desert as a “barren stretch of waterless alkali wasteland,” while an 1850 survey there counted the remains of about 5,000 horses, 3,750 cattle, 1,060 mules and 950 graves.

Back then, it took wagon trains days to cover the 40 miles. Now motorists can do it in a half hour.

Westbound toward Reno, the speed limit drops to 65 mph between an industrial park that houses Tesla’s electric car battery plant and the infamous Mustang Ranch brothel, where legal prostitution has been regulated since 1971.

It remains 65 mph through the downtown casino district, where recreational marijuana goes on sale at nearby dispensaries July 1.

Gov. Brian Sandoval signed the new maximum into law 18 months ago, but highway engineers spent the past year examining places safe enough to go that fast. They’re considering future additions, but for now I-80 is it.

Dr. Alistair Chapman, a Las Vegas trauma surgeon, was among those who voiced concerns about crashes and urged lawmakers in 2015 to “put the brakes on this bill.”

But Chad Dornsife of the National Motorists Association said fatalities didn’t spike when other states raised the limit, partly because drivers spend less time on the road. “Fatigue is the biggest killer, not speed,” he said.

Nevada Highway Patrol and transportation officials originally opposed the change but came around after studies showed current travel averaging 78 to 80 mph.

Scott Sonner is an Associated Press writer.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » May 16th, 2017, 8:09 am

who the firetruck are these groups who call for these speed limits? what's their road qualifications? are they trained in road safety? or they just look on google to see what the US or UK or Germany do, and think we can do it too? tell me which US freeway or UK motorway has big potholes? not many. UK motorways have fully noted roadworks, does Trini? they even place ads in papers for this, Trini don't. germany has no speed limits, but then would there be smoke from fires in fields going on the road? no.

Increasing the speed limit is a disaster in the making, and they can cite these dopey points of "but cars have improved!" they have, but then it not that simple.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » May 16th, 2017, 12:40 pm

desifemlove wrote:who the firetruck are these groups who call for these speed limits? what's their road qualifications? are they trained in road safety? or they just look on google to see what the US or UK or Germany do, and think we can do it too? tell me which US freeway or UK motorway has big potholes? not many. UK motorways have fully noted roadworks, does Trini? they even place ads in papers for this, Trini don't. germany has no speed limits, but then would there be smoke from fires in fields going on the road? no.

Increasing the speed limit is a disaster in the making, and they can cite these dopey points of "but cars have improved!" they have, but then it not that simple.

So why the governments civil engineers and advisors have said that the speed limit can be safely raised from 80 to 100 in most parts of the highway?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 17th, 2017, 3:30 am

desifemlove wrote:who the firetruck are these groups who call for these speed limits? what's their road qualifications? are they trained in road safety? or they just look on google to see what the US or UK or Germany do, and think we can do it too? tell me which US freeway or UK motorway has big potholes? not many. UK motorways have fully noted roadworks, does Trini? they even place ads in papers for this, Trini don't. germany has no speed limits, but then would there be smoke from fires in fields going on the road? no.

German roads do have a speed limit. The Bundesautobahnen has no speed limits in most places but not all.

There are many roads in the US that have been identified as in "poor conditon".

"America’s roads are often crowded, frequently in poor condition, chronically underfunded, and are becoming more dangerous. More than two out of every five miles of America’s urban interstates are congested and traffic delays cost the country $160 billion in wasted time and fuel in 2014. One out of every five miles of highway pavement is in poor condition and our roads have a significant and increasing backlog of rehabilitation needs. After years of decline, traffic fatalities increased by 7% from 2014 to 2015, with 35,092 people dying on America’s roads."

Monkey Man
Riding on 18's

Postby Monkey Man » May 17th, 2017, 7:58 am

dan wais all d beet up about. it not that hard to get away from speed gun.

i never change my driving style since the gun dem come out. and i never get ketch. no petty law like that will even matter to me. they can rise the limit to 140 i still wouldnt stick to that.

once i have some money in the bank i jiving normelll

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » May 17th, 2017, 10:10 am

Monkey Man wrote:dan wais all d beet up about. it not that hard to get away from speed gun.

i never change my driving style since the gun dem come out. and i never get ketch. no petty law like that will even matter to me. they can rise the limit to 140 i still wouldnt stick to that.

once i have some money in the bank i jiving normelll

They hoping with all the new taxes that this may cease to be a thing
:lol:
Then we have no choice but to obey the speed limit.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 18th, 2017, 12:16 pm

SINCE the use of speed guns began in May 2016, police officers have issued no less than 11,294 tickets. This year alone, 7,445 tickets have been issued which amounts to $7,445,000 that will go to the Treasury.

The information was disclosed in a statement issued by the police on Wednesday.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170517/news/11294-drivers-ticketed-for-speeding

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 18th, 2017, 12:57 pm

adnj wrote:SINCE the use of speed guns began in May 2016, police officers have issued no less than 11,294 tickets. This year alone, 7,445 tickets have been issued which amounts to $7,445,000 that will go to the Treasury.

The information was disclosed in a statement issued by the police on Wednesday.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170517/news/11294-drivers-ticketed-for-speeding

Good for them!!!

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » May 18th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Every article cites the revenue generated from the tickets, and then the reduction in accidents as a side story. So what's the intention here, to make money for the Government? or reduce accidents?

Someone also pointed out that the reduction is more likely related to increased police presence. Most of the time there are no guns, but every few km's there's a police car to be sure.

It's tiring to keep glancing at the damn speedo every minute, and is much more important to keep observing the surrounding conditions and traffic.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » May 18th, 2017, 6:17 pm

SO they made 11 mill on tickets in one year ... just 989 mill more and they can build another stadium.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 18th, 2017, 7:48 pm

They ketch plenty today on rivulet road
50km limit there

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » May 18th, 2017, 7:55 pm

I tried driving 50 Km on rivulet road ... was so relaxing I almost fell asleep.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » May 19th, 2017, 7:45 am

adnj wrote:

German roads do have a speed limit. The Bundesautobahnen has no speed limits in most places but not all.

There are many roads in the US that have been identified as in "poor conditon".

"America’s roads are often crowded, frequently in poor condition, chronically underfunded, and are becoming more dangerous. More than two out of every five miles of America’s urban interstates are congested and traffic delays cost the country $160 billion in wasted time and fuel in 2014. One out of every five miles of highway pavement is in poor condition and our roads have a significant and increasing backlog of rehabilitation needs. After years of decline, traffic fatalities increased by 7% from 2014 to 2015, with 35,092 people dying on America’s roads."

these people making the petitions don't take this into account though. part of why we have shitty driving is that our test is not that comprehensive, and corruption in licesning office, which doesn't happen to the same degree in the US. these people don't see the nuances, just think T&T is a mini US or Europe. we're a middle-income country, so such comparisons are moot.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 19th, 2017, 6:37 pm

It's a lot easier to just take the driver training and the exam in the US than to even try to find someone to take a bribe. Lots of workers in the Caribbean and Latin America make such small salaries that losing your job because of a corruption charge isn't much of a threat.

TriP
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TriP » November 6th, 2017, 7:06 pm

So the list of fixed cameras/ speed trap locations are:

Northbound -

1) Corinth flyover
2) Gasparillo flyover
3) Munroe Road flyover
4) Caroni flyover
5) Grand Bazaar

Southbound -

1) Grand Bazaar
2) Caroni Flyover
3) Munroe Road Flyover
4) Seereeram Brothers
5) After Sando Tech turnoff/ before Gasparillo
6) Golconda Flyover
7) Just after Penal Flyover

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Postby vct17inch » November 6th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Questions on the fixed speeding cameras:

1- Two cars driving past the camera. One driving at 50kph. And the car beind which is travelling at 110kph. Let's say the one travelling at 110kph triggers the camera at the same moment when he meets the person driving at 50kph so they are both in the image right next to each other. Can it identify correctly the speeding vehicle?

2- If the camera is set to trigger at 80kph then what about the 65kph speed limit for heavy-t vehicles?

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » November 6th, 2017, 9:45 pm

vct17inch wrote:Questions on the fixed speeding cameras:

1- Two cars driving past the camera. One driving at 50kph. And the car beind which is travelling at 110kph. Let's say the one travelling at 110kph triggers the camera at the same moment when he meets the person driving at 50kph so they are both in the image right next to each other. Can it identify correctly the speeding vehicle?

2- If the camera is set to trigger at 80kph then what about the 65kph speed limit for heavy-t vehicles?

If you driving 110KPH behind someone driving 50KPH then I think a speeding fine is the least of your worries

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » November 6th, 2017, 9:46 pm

TriP wrote:So the list of fixed cameras/ speed trap locations are:

Northbound -

1) Corinth flyover
2) Gasparillo flyover
3) Munroe Road flyover
4) Caroni flyover
5) Grand Bazaar

Southbound -

1) Grand Bazaar
2) Caroni Flyover
3) Munroe Road Flyover
4) Seereeram Brothers
5) After Sando Tech turnoff/ before Gasparillo
6) Golconda Flyover
7) Just after Penal Flyover

Source?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » November 6th, 2017, 10:12 pm

TriP is one of the most accurate posters of local information on tuner.

You do not need to know his source.

I can verify that the information he posted is accurate.

(Of course, the locations may change now that they are in the public domain)

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » November 6th, 2017, 10:18 pm

Since you can verify. Tell us where the Penal flyover is?
How about when on the southbound is after Sando tech but before Gasparillo?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » November 6th, 2017, 10:50 pm

No legislation for speed cameras but men done posting the camera locations, and at locations that doesn't exist.
Not at you eh trip, but that list is bs

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”