Public holiday on Oct. 13 for First Peoples

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Public holiday on Oct. 13 for First Peoples

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 12th, 2017, 10:30 am

First Peoples get a one-off holiday on October 13th

Following calls by the First Peoples for greater National recognition of their history and customs, the government of Trinidad and Tobago has approved a one-off public holiday which will be commemorated on Friday, October 13, 2017.

One-off holiday approved for First Peoples
The announcement was made by Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly, Minister of Community Development, Culture and the Arts on Thursday.

In a release the Ministry says it remains committed to building resilient, dynamic and culturally diverse communities. It adds that recognition for this country’s indigenous heritage is a fundamental part of that mandate.

http://news.power102fm.com/first-people ... 13th-44681

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Public holiday on Oct. 13 for First Peoples

Postby Dizzy28 » May 12th, 2017, 11:02 am

Not to detract from the First Peoples but are they truly representative of the First People anymore??

Their Chief's name is Ricardo BHARATH Hernandez!!!! Bharath.... :shock: :shock:
Given how small the local indigenous population was once the Spanish [and European viruses] was done with them, the probability that there is any present significant genetic pool of First Peoples is very low.

Its not like the US and Canada where the Native Americans and First Nations still exists as a community given they weren't all killed out or became spouses for the invading populations.

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby dougla_boy » May 12th, 2017, 11:46 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Not to detract from the First Peoples but are they truly representative of the First People anymore??

Given how small the local indigenous population was once the Spanish [and European viruses] was done with them, the probability that there is any present significant genetic pool of First Peoples is very low.

Its not like the US and Canada where the Native Americans and First Nations still exists as a community given they weren't all killed out or became spouses for the invading populations.

u speaketh a lot of asseth

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » May 12th, 2017, 11:54 am

Doh worry just now we will have a Syrian holiday...

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 12th, 2017, 11:55 am

^ So are you saying there are First Peoples who genetically are not majority Indian, African or European in ancestry living in Trinidad and Tobago? If so I would like to meet them.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » May 12th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Holiday is holiday... And it on a Friday too??? This is the only thing pnm do for de peeple so far

uncle sam
punchin NOS

Postby uncle sam » May 12th, 2017, 12:50 pm

first people who?

uncle sam
punchin NOS

Postby uncle sam » May 12th, 2017, 12:54 pm

doe get me wrong eh.. I not vex

bignog
Sweet on this forum

Postby bignog » May 13th, 2017, 12:28 am

nick639v2 wrote:Holiday is holiday... And it on a Friday too??? This is the only thing pnm do for de peeple so far

They know the jackass dem blind .....let them wine an jam while day thief
Dizzy28 wrote:Not to detract from the First Peoples but are they truly representative of the First People anymore??

bignog
Sweet on this forum

Postby bignog » May 13th, 2017, 12:30 am

Rowley know he slaves dem brain damage give them an excuse to wine an massa dem in good wood park take all they tax money an live like the lord

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » May 13th, 2017, 7:00 am

no. too many public holidays as it stands. and first peoples? like what, a man looking pure Afro or Indo and saying he a Carib? Have a People's Day, none of this Emancipation Day or Indian Arrival Day sheit. Emancipation Day is a joke, people wearing African costumes, but no sheit about Africa. yuh ask them what Niger is, dey tink you racially abusing them.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 13th, 2017, 8:12 am

^^depends on how u pronounce it when u ask...

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » May 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Is anyone familiar with the present day facts related to the Warao peoples in Trinidad and Tobago?
I have already done the google and other searches but would like to hear from someone locally who is aware of our specific and most recent facts.
I am aware of the presence or the existence of a tribe or group in the Erin area but would like to learn more.

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » May 13th, 2017, 6:03 pm

The amount of Afros I see jumping up in that parade on tv...anything to fight down a lil mix ting...some of dem great great great grandparents musse was quarter carib but dey playing ting

I not complaining tho...Holiday is Holiday :drinking: :bday:

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 13th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Isn't is ironic that the "First Peoples" is the "Last Peoples" to get a public holiday in T&T ?

matr1x

Postby matr1x » May 14th, 2017, 9:18 am

Part of my family is Carib, is this the best they could do? A one off holiday? Pathetic.

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » May 14th, 2017, 10:30 am

Their Chief's name is Ricardo BHARATH Hernandez!!!! ...Bharath.

Lol - this is so true !

matr1x

Postby matr1x » May 14th, 2017, 1:12 pm

This is laughable. We have a whole bunch of holiday for dem Christian butchers. That is what wrong with society.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 14th, 2017, 3:11 pm

matr1x wrote:Part of my family is Carib, is this the best they could do? A one off holiday? Pathetic.

You know any Arawaks ? Talking about the women.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 14th, 2017, 3:43 pm

matr1x wrote:Part of my family is Carib, is this the best they could do? A one off holiday? Pathetic.

You may not know it but the First Peoples Organization has been lobbying for some years for a one-off public holiday to celebrate their ancestry, their community is quite active in Arima where they host celebrations, give classes in traditional cooking and have a parade through the streets of Arima annually. What exactly do you find pathetic about them getting what they asked for?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 14th, 2017, 4:12 pm

eliteauto wrote:

You may not know it but the First Peoples Organization has been lobbying for some years for a one-off public holiday to celebrate their ancestry, their community is quite active in Arima where they host celebrations, give classes in traditional cooking and have a parade through the streets of Arima annually. What exactly do you find pathetic about them getting what they asked for?

I hope he means that it was pathetic that the GORTT only gave them a one-off P.H.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » May 14th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Plenty bump gum without knowing how long they trying to get this... And it's just that a one off holiday elite.... Trying to educate them here is without saying

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 14th, 2017, 9:13 pm

De Dragon wrote:
eliteauto wrote:

I hope he means that it was pathetic that the GORTT only gave them a one-off P.H.

Like comprehension hard? A one-off holiday is what the people wanted, so the Gov't pathetic for giving the people what they want? Thus far this holiday seems to be doing exactly what the Santa Rosa First Peoples wanted when they made the request which is the sensitize persons to not only their existence but the heritage, culture and contributions they have made. Do people even know how the date was selected? How many know of Amerindian Heritage Day celebrated here annually?

matr1x

Postby matr1x » May 14th, 2017, 9:21 pm

There is alot of division in the community about it. Its literally the lowest possible outcome that could have been hoped for. Trust me, its definitely not the first request choice. It was the one with the greatest possibility of success.

Its weak like the piss poor trinkets that the Europeans came with. There is a section that despises those who converted to christianity. Its literally like jews who decided to become members of the nazi party.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 14th, 2017, 9:30 pm

I see you said Carib and not Kalinago. Is it interchangeable? preferred?
I grew up learning about Arawaks and Caribs and see the school syllabus now using Tainos and Kalinagos.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 14th, 2017, 9:43 pm

matr1x wrote:There is alot of division in the community about it. Its literally the lowest possible outcome that could have been hoped for. Trust me, its definitely not the first request choice. It was the one with the greatest possibility of success.

Its weak like the piss poor trinkets that the Europeans came with. There is a section that despises those who converted to christianity. Its literally like jews who decided to become members of the nazi party.

this division you speak of, and the section that despises those who converted can you give a name of the section, location etc? Can you say what practices they do and what advocacy that have done to get something better?

Monkey Man
Riding on 18's

Postby Monkey Man » May 15th, 2017, 7:03 am

i rel hope the carbs and arawaks gonna stage a huge battle with their sticks and bows and arrows.

that will be epic! men in loin cloth battling to the death

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 15th, 2017, 9:45 am

Got what I was looking for. Nat Geo paid for a genetic study of the FPCs of the Caribbean.
Anyhows happy for the holiday.

The remaining Y-chromosomes from Trinidad and St. Vincent were of African (E1b1a) or likely European (I1, I2, R1a, R1b) origin. Overall, more than 80% of the Y-chromosome haplotypes in the indigenous Caribbean communities were non-indigenous to the Americas. The Vincentian samples were comprised of about half African and half European lineages, whereas the Trinidadian samples showed a larger frequency of paternal African (80%) than European (20%) lineages

In addition to indigenous Caribbean ancestry, both communities exhibited maternal lineages from Africa and, in the case of the Trinidadians, South Asia. Most of the non-indigenous lineages in both communities belonged to African haplogroups L0, L1, L2, and L3. Haplogroup L2 was the most common African lineage among the Vincentians, while L2 and L3 were the most common lineages in FPC Trinidadians. In addition, FPC Trinidadians had mtDNAs belonging to haplogroup M33a, a lineage commonly seen in northeastern India [75].

Analysis of mtDNA CR sequences revealed a total of 58 distinct haplotypes in the St. Vincent Garifuna and the FPC Trinidadians. Of these, 23 belonged to indigenous American lineages, 31 to African lineages, and 2 to South Asian lineages (Table B in S1 File). When the CR sequences were reduced to the HVS1 sequence (np 16024–16390), we observed 8 Native American, 24 African, 1 South Asian haplotypes (Table C in S1 File). These HVSI sequences have been deposited to Genbank, accession numbers KT777741-KT777798 (Table D in S1 File). Furthermore, these HVS1 sequences were used for all subsequent statistical and phylogenetic analyses.

As indicated by the summary statistics based on HVS1 sequences, the FPC Trinidadians exhibited higher gene diversity than the Vincentian Garifuna. The indigenous Caribbean communities also had generally similar levels of genetic diversity relative to Puerto Ricans and most other comparative populations (Tables 4 and 5). However, the indigenous Caribbean communities also exhibited slightly lower diversity estimates compared to other Caribbean populations within the Lesser Antilles, excepting the Dominicans (Dominica). Unlike the other Anglophone island samples, those of the Dominicans were obtained from a rural population, with some of its members having genealogical ancestry linking them to the indigenous people of Dominica [51]. The observed differences could be a function of the small sample size for both the FPC Trinidadian and Vincentian Garifuna, which are small communities numbering fewer than 2000 people each [24,76]......http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0139192

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 15th, 2017, 10:05 am

Even if there are not many with Amerindian genes alive today, these are the indigenous or first people of our islands. Can't take away from them.

The Paleontologist
18 pounds of Boost

Postby The Paleontologist » May 15th, 2017, 10:14 am

Will Carib be giving away free beers on that day?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”