TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

UTT VS UWI. Seeking advice pertaining to Electrical Engineering.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Don Lezama
Riding on 13's

UTT VS UWI. Seeking advice pertaining to Electrical Engineering.

Postby Don Lezama » August 22nd, 2017, 10:37 pm

From the info I've gathered concerning Electrical Engineering, I'd like to know which institution has the better job opportunity. I've heard that Uwi has more theory than practical experience whereas Utt offers both practical and theory. However, job opportunities would be attained quicker being a UTT Graduate rather than a UWI Graduate. What are your views/advice?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: UTT VS UWI. Seeking advice pertaining to Electrical Engineering.

Postby adnj » August 22nd, 2017, 11:26 pm

Don Lezama wrote:From the info I've gathered concerning Electrical Engineering, I'd like to know which institution has the better job opportunity. I've heard that Uwi has more theory than practical experience whereas Utt offers both practical and theory. However, job opportunities would be attained quicker being a UTT Graduate rather than a UWI Graduate. What are your views/advice?

Wrong forum.

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » August 22nd, 2017, 11:32 pm

UWI ....

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » August 23rd, 2017, 12:01 am

Discussed already do a search

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 23rd, 2017, 12:09 am

"job opportunities would be attained quicker being a UTT Graduate rather than a UWI Graduate"

WHAT?

This idea about UTT finding jobs for people who graduated was very long ago in the Manning era back when few people had degrees/diplomas and they had links to get people work. It is not the case anymore, now its all about who is more qualified. The reason people pick UTT over UWI is simply because UTT has a much lower requirement. For example you could enter UTT with just CXC or you could fail A levels and still get to do a degree at UTT. This is why UTT was created not because they offer more "practical"

It is very hard to get into UWI to do an Engineering Degree and even harder to complete it, go download a past exam paper for electrical engineering at UWI website then go download one from a top US University even from MIT and you will see how hard those UWI exams are. They are hard as any major US university.

UWI offers real BSc degrees in Engineering

UTT only offers BASc Degrees in Engineering which is considered as a lower standard.

The Engineering degrees at UWI are triple accredited internationally they are some of the best you can find anywhere. The ones at UTT have like maybe 1 or none. T&TEC does NOT accept electrical engineering degrees from UTT they only accept UWI, that alone should give you an idea. Make sure you do your research.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on August 23rd, 2017, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » August 23rd, 2017, 12:12 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:"job opportunities would be attained quicker being a UTT Graduate rather than a UWI Graduate"

WHAT?

This idea about UTT finding jobs for people who graduated was very long ago in the Manning era back when few people had degrees/diplomas and they had links to get people work. It is not the case anymore, now its all about who is more qualified. The reason people pick UTT over UWI is simply because UTT has a much lower requirement. For example you could enter UTT with just CXC or you could fail A levels and still get to do a degree at UTT. This is why UTT was created not because they offer more "practical"

It is very hard to get into UWI to do an Engineering Degree and even harder to complete it, go download a past exam paper for electrical engineering at UWI website then go download one from a top US University even from MIT and you will see how hard those UWI exams are. They are hard as any major US university.

UWI offers real BSc degrees in Engineering

UTT only offers BASc Degrees in Engineering which is considered as a lower standard.

The Engineering degrees at UWI are triple accredited internationally they are some of the best you can find anywhere. The ones at UTT have like maybe 1 or none.

u really going to do this again .... jus copy d ched link for the man na .... :roll:

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 23rd, 2017, 12:14 am

^ good point :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=708966&hilit=UWI

^ here is the link I already explained it in that thread

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » August 23rd, 2017, 1:12 am

Yeah it is alot of theoretical work. Can be a bit heavy at times and also boring depending on your interests. Your practical experience comes from labs during each semester as well as a design project at the end of each semester excluding sem2 in Year 2.

Year1 Sem1 you have a workshop course to do as well with welding,technical drawing, woodworking. You does also hadda build a flat head screwdriver for that course. Hated that sheit. Couldn't do any to save my life :lol:
And that course is the heaviest weighted course in semester 1. WOFT

Year 2 sem1 you have a project that could carry across to sem2 where you have a community project to do that may or may not extend outside uwi depending on what project you choose/given to do. Practical work varies on the type of project.

You also have a final year project to do as well.

Cant really think of any other practical work that's part of the degree really nah.

Oh and if you feel EE is just learning to wire up house and building (if thats the kinda thing u expecting from the degree) it's not eh.

But yeah daz EE in UWI idk how tings is in UTT

Oh and the degree is not EE in uwi eh...its ECNG (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
So there's also alot of programming involved as well...both on the hardware and software side.

And it not really that hard to get in to do ECNG nah.
The amount of dotish people there would surprise you.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » August 23rd, 2017, 4:47 am

padna is best yuh save yuh mudda and fadda money and invest it and open ah electrical shop and sell wire and bulb and breaker an ting. yuh go spend 4 year in skool and wen yuh come out yuh cyah get a wuk and yuh end up wukin subway or kfc.

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » August 23rd, 2017, 6:22 am

I've interviewed many of UTT and UWI EE grads. Firstly, Ronaldo is right, despite the higher requirements to get into UWI's program, it does not necessarily produce better candidates.

My best hire ever was a UTT grad, however on average the UWI grads are far better skilled is using technical software, programming and at complex maths. Not many jobs in TT require that, to be honest, but for those that do are almost 95% occupied by UWI grads. Attitude and willingness to learn in technical type jobs are what matters 90% of the time to me.

For what it's worth, UWI's program is as close to a real "EE" degree. Lot of the work is comparable to what's done in top universities, with the exception that UWI does not teach real understanding of these topics. The lecturers themselves set exams in a way that you can just cram or do drafts and get by without ever understanding anything. It's the same for all their engineering programs, I didn't do Elec, but my line of work is more or less Elec based and I know enough elec engineers to make this conclusion.

Also, if you wanna further your education I don't think a UTT will grad will get into most international post graduate programs whereas a UWI grad would.

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » August 23rd, 2017, 6:49 am

Daran wrote:I've interviewed many of UTT and UWI EE grads. Firstly, Ronaldo is right, despite the higher requirements to get into UWI's program, it does not necessarily produce better candidates.

My best hire ever was a UTT grad, however on average the UWI grads are far better skilled is using technical software, programming and at complex maths. Not many jobs in TT require that, to be honest, but for those that do are almost 95% occupied by UWI grads. Attitude and willingness to learn in technical type jobs are what matters 90% of the time to me.

For what it's worth, UWI's program is as close to a real "EE" degree. Lot of the work is comparable to what's done in top universities, with the exception that UWI does not teach real understanding of these topics. The lecturers themselves set exams in a way that you can just cram or do drafts and get by without ever understanding anything. It's the same for all their engineering programs, I didn't do Elec, but my line of work is more or less Elec based and I know enough elec engineers to make this conclusion.

Also, if you wanna further your education I don't think a UTT will grad will get into most international post graduate programs whereas a UWI grad would.

Interesting point to note here "My best hire ever was a UTT grad"
This is based on YOUR needs as an employer which may or may not represent the collective needs of employers of T&T.
A good degree program would prepare you for ANY application of the discipline, hence the need for all the "extra" that UWI does. There are always calls from employers for the degree programs to cater for their specific needs, a very selfish request if you ask me! This request should come with the condition that "we, the employers, will hire everyone who successfully completes the program".
This now questions the statement "despite the higher requirements to get into UWI's program, it does not necessarily produce better candidates"
Clearly this just emphasizes that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!
Also, can you please quantify by means of empirical data your statement "technical software, programming and at complex maths. Not many jobs in TT require that"
And lastly "The lecturers themselves set exams in a way that you can just cram or do drafts and get by without ever understanding anything. It's the same for all their engineering programs, I didn't do Elec, but my line of work is more or less Elec based and I know enough elec engineers to make this conclusion" is a TOTALLY misleading statement since you are clearly basing it on INDIRECT information coming from a highly biased sample.

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » August 23rd, 2017, 8:15 am

screwbash wrote:padna is best yuh save yuh mudda and fadda money and invest it and open ah electrical shop and sell wire and bulb and breaker an ting. yuh go spend 4 year in skool and wen yuh come out yuh cyah get a wuk and yuh end up wukin subway or kfc.

Best advice here.
Don't waste your time to get a piece of paper saying you have a degree.
I have met countless people doing these programs and end up with salt.
I myself spent about four years and get salt.
Too much links and nepotism passing around.
Don't be another wage slave, try this man advice. It might be difficult in de beginning but if you hold steady you would be better off.
Learn a trade or something, cause when all the "highly qualified" persons sitting home with their degree in a picture frame, jobless, it's the men who have de trade and actually know how to do the job is the ones working, and they will always have work.
The thing is that men think if they have a degree them work go be easy, all them will hadda do is sit in air condition and bark orders, but sadly it ain't so for most.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 23rd, 2017, 8:17 am

Have no uwi grads or students working by me. All utt

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » August 23rd, 2017, 9:14 am

screwbash wrote:padna is best yuh save yuh mudda and fadda money and invest it and open ah electrical shop and sell wire and bulb and breaker an ting. yuh go spend 4 year in skool and wen yuh come out yuh cyah get a wuk and yuh end up wukin subway or kfc.

I am a Elec Eng. Grad from UWI. Trust me here, take this advice! I'm a living reality of this :( . You may have an honest interest in the field but companies don't have an interest in you.
I have been sending resumes to companies for GIT programs and only receiving replies that I don't meet their requirement. Utter BS.

Invest your $$ and time elsewhere school is for sufferers. :cry:

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » August 23rd, 2017, 10:28 am

kavaninho wrote:

I am a Elec Eng. Grad from UWI. Trust me here, take this advice! I'm a living reality of this :( . You may have an honest interest in the field but companies don't have an interest in you.
I have been sending resumes to companies for GIT programs and only receiving replies that I don't meet their requirement. Utter BS.

Unfortunately this is a reality. Hopefully this will change after China spends it's money in Haiti.
If (When) China brings their manufacturing experience to Haiti with the low cost labour there, local manufacturers will have to up their game or cut their losses early to avoid a slow painful death.
I also heard on CNN this morning that Dubai is welcoming human resources from around the world.

@ kavaninho, you might be better off applying to sub-contractors (maintenance contractors) rather than large organizations. Especially the ones that do work for large organizations. Everyone I know who got a job with one of bigger organizations got it by impressing a supervisor/ manager of the bigger organization while working under a sub-contractor.
I wish I had known this 16 years ago!

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » August 23rd, 2017, 11:38 am

airuma what Daran said is true.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 23rd, 2017, 12:32 pm

airuma wrote:
kavaninho wrote:

Unfortunately this is a reality. Hopefully this will change after China spends it's money in Haiti.
If (When) China brings their manufacturing experience to Haiti with the low cost labour there, local manufacturers will have to up their game or cut their losses early to avoid a slow painful death.
I also heard on CNN this morning that Dubai is welcoming human resources from around the world.

@ kavaninho, you might be better off applying to sub-contractors (maintenance contractors) rather than large organizations. Especially the ones that do work for large organizations. Everyone I know who got a job with one of bigger organizations got it by impressing a supervisor/ manager of the bigger organization while working under a sub-contractor.
Same thing I said in a next thread.

Have a guy working with a contractor now, as they start hiring I almost 100% sure they will take him.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » August 23rd, 2017, 1:49 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
airuma wrote:
kavaninho wrote:

Same thing I said in a next thread.

Have a guy working with a contractor now, as they start hiring I almost 100% sure they will take him.

Thanks for the advice will definitely look at applying to contractors. I really don't mind doing labor and maintenance. The idea is just to be out there and exposed.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 23rd, 2017, 2:49 pm

And the main thing is:
You getting experience.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » August 23rd, 2017, 3:29 pm

vaiostation wrote:

Best advice here.
Don't be another wage slave, try this man advice. It might be difficult in de beginning but if you hold steady you would be better off.
Learn a trade or something, cause when all the "highly qualified" persons sitting home with their degree in a picture frame, jobless, it's the men who have de trade and actually know how to do the job is the ones working, and they will always have work.
The thing is that men think if they have a degree them work go be easy, all them will hadda do is sit in air condition and bark orders, but sadly it ain't so for most.

Know ah man who top the Electrical Engineering UWI class in his year (First Class Honours)..He get through to work in Petrotrin GIT programme. Company pelt him out after contract end..
He selling pepper Sauze now..
Its not what you know, its who you know..

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » August 23rd, 2017, 3:36 pm

wtf wrote:
vaiostation wrote:

Best advice here.

Know ah man who top the Electrical Engineering UWI class in his year (First Class Honours)..He get through to work in Petrotrin GIT programme. Company pelt him out after contract end..

i know alot of Mech graduates who not even getting jobs in ther field and working for less than 5 k .... 1 st class honors

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » August 23rd, 2017, 3:39 pm

10-01 wrote:
wtf wrote:
vaiostation wrote:

Best advice here.

i know alot of Mech graduates who not even getting jobs in ther field and working for less than 5 k .... 1 st class honors

Nah..dem lying bout that first class honours..

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » August 23rd, 2017, 3:42 pm

wtf wrote:
10-01 wrote:
wtf wrote:
vaiostation wrote:

Best advice here.

is men who was in my year ...... no need to lie ...

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » August 23rd, 2017, 3:44 pm

10-01 wrote:
wtf wrote:
10-01 wrote:
wtf wrote:
vaiostation wrote:

Best advice here.

Mechanical supposed to be the most versatile engineering degree..You sure to fit in any industry with that..

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » August 23rd, 2017, 3:46 pm

What is the best field to get into in Trinidad that pays good and offers good job stability then?

All my other friends outside elec in the other eng degrees does say the same thing wrt getting jobs. Either yuh getting one but for small money or yuh aint getting nothing and ending up doing something you don't want to do.

Most ppl in the degree running down T&TEC wuk but I find the Power industry does sound/appear to be very boring.

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » August 23rd, 2017, 3:47 pm

wtf wrote:
10-01 wrote:
wtf wrote:
10-01 wrote:
wtf wrote:
vaiostation wrote:

Best advice here.

Mechanical supposed to be the most versatile engineering degree..You sure to fit in any industry with that..

well i guess that was when oil was pumping .... i know a man with a 2 nd class honors working coco cola as a technician ... pay flat 6 k

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 23rd, 2017, 3:47 pm

wtf wrote:
vaiostation wrote:

Best advice here.

They hire him back on contract.
The pepper sauze bess btw. I dont like pepper but took a whiff of a bottle. Bought two one time.

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » August 23rd, 2017, 3:48 pm

Ronaldo95163 wrote:What is the best field to get into in Trinidad that pays good and offers good job stability then?

All my other friends outside elec in the other eng degrees does say the same thing wrt getting jobs. Either yuh getting one but for small money or yuh aint getting nothing and ending up doing something you don't want to do.

Most ppl in the degree running down T&TEC wuk but I find the Power industry does sound/appear to be very boring.

this is what i know ..... like men in here seeing the light somewher else on this island and need to share d info :idea:

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » August 23rd, 2017, 3:54 pm

^That is what I saying dan :lol:

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » August 23rd, 2017, 3:58 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
wtf wrote:
vaiostation wrote:

Best advice here.

They hire him back on contract.
The pepper sauze bess btw. I dont like pepper but took a whiff of a bottle. Bought two one time.

Daz not he recipe though...he thief that from he paddna grandmodda...LMAO

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”