Forums

The Law and Tinted Vehicles

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: The Law and Tinted Vehicles

Postby snypaz » September 13th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Also submitted some suggestions about making the 20% on all windows but also allow random stop and searches if the vehicles looks suspicious.

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » September 13th, 2018, 6:26 pm

snypaz wrote:Also submitted some suggestions about making the 20% on all windows but also allow random stop and searches if the vehicles looks suspicious.

We can't be up in arms for ambiguity, get the law amended to speak to actual numbers instead of an officer's discretion and then make a suggestion to reintroduce some form of ambiguity/human discretion. It's counterproductive, imho.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 13th, 2018, 6:54 pm

What about having each and every vehicle inspected wrt to tint using light meters...this would be done at the respective license offices...paperwork would be provided to the driver saying whether or not their tint is suitable...

Then one may say...I get the paperwork so take out the old tint and g5 in yuh mc...so have officers outfitted with the meters to make sure people doh try to beat the system

My 2 cents

I quoting meh own self and stating it can be an option
Last edited by shake d livin wake d dead on September 14th, 2018, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 13th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Joshie23 wrote:
snypaz wrote:Also submitted some suggestions about making the 20% on all windows but also allow random stop and searches if the vehicles looks suspicious.

We can't be up in arms for ambiguity, get the law amended to speak to actual numbers instead of an officer's discretion and then make a suggestion to reintroduce some form of ambiguity/human discretion. It's counterproductive, imho.

bruh u ok ?? u think before u type that ???

yes we are up in arms for ambiguity as "up to the officers discretion" is poor policing.
actual numbers are whats needed.

for example.....
tint.. nothing less than 20% - anything less is illegal - 20% is an actual number

tyres - nothing less than 1/8 of an inch tread depth.... again...an actual number

smog / excessive smoke - example - nothing less than say 100 part per million of XYZ gas - again a number......

loud exhaust...example - nothing above 65 decibels measured at a distance of 1 meter from vehicle - again a number....

unless you want it explicity written that officers should stop every off color painted drop low big rims hard pong tiida /wing road / nissan on the road and conduct searches cause a person of afro / indo decent was driving....

you gotta have leeway and let the officers do what they trained to do.... observe and if offenses are detected issue a ticket / or criminal activity is observed - arrest a criminal.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 13th, 2018, 7:23 pm

The reason that light transmission is regulated has to do with the ability of a driver to see what is outside of the vehicle.

These proposed regulatory numbers very closely parallel rest of world regulations.

In my experience, the officers didn't carry around testing equipment for noise or light transmission infractions. You just get a ticket and have a specified time frame to appear at a police station and prove that you have corrected the condition.

edit: If you're curious about meeting the proposed law, there are some free apps available that are fairly accurate for testing sound and light transmission.

I also noticed the 30 day remedy provision at the end of the proposed text.

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » September 13th, 2018, 8:26 pm

skylinechild wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:

yes we are up in arms for ambiguity as "up to the officers discretion" is poor policing.

for example.....
tint.. nothing less than 20% - anything less is illegal - 20% is an actual number

tyres - nothing less than 1/8 of an inch tread depth.... again...an actual number

smog / excessive smoke - example - nothing less than say 100 part per million of XYZ gas - again a number......

loud exhaust...example - nothing above 65 decibels measured at a distance of 1 meter from vehicle - again a number....

unless you want it explicity written that officers should stop every off color painted drop low big rims hard pong tiida /wing road / nissan on the road and conduct searches cause a person of afro / indo decent was driving....

you gotta have leeway and let the officers do what they trained to do.... observe and if offenses are detected issue a ticket / or criminal activity is observed - arrest a criminal.

Slow down skyline..slow down. Let me clarify, because apparently it wasn't clear enough. Snypaz was suggesting to let people use 20% tint, but stop vehicles that 'look suspicious'. So we had a problem with ambiguity such that any officer with cataracts, shades, a horning spouse etc. could say your tint was too dark. The law is in the process of being amended. No more ambiguity. You listed a number of quantifiable factors, that mitigate against, said ambiguity. So tell me..how do you quantify 'a suspicious looking vehicle'..?? You basically said what I said, in a lot more words.

R.P.J
Trinituner Peong

Postby R.P.J » September 13th, 2018, 9:47 pm

Question: For someone who battling a Tint ticket where the police offer never showed for 4 times to court this new law what they want to pass have anything to do with this ticket I have before the court at the moment

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 13th, 2018, 10:34 pm

https://www.change.org/p/ministry-of-tr ... and-tobago

i wonder if the petition had any thing to do with this direction?

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » September 14th, 2018, 1:30 am

Sigh so soon come I'll have to rid of the 12%... It was a pretty good run

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 14th, 2018, 5:10 am

R.P.J wrote:Question: For someone who battling a Tint ticket where the police offer never showed for 4 times to court this new law what they want to pass have anything to do with this ticket I have before the court at the moment

dat magistrate wicked...4 times and that case a throw out yet

R.P.J
Trinituner Peong

Postby R.P.J » September 14th, 2018, 5:47 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
R.P.J wrote:Question: For someone who battling a Tint ticket where the police offer never showed for 4 times to court this new law what they want to pass have anything to do with this ticket I have before the court at the moment

dat magistrate wicked...4 times and that case a throw out yet
You telling me them magistrate wicked to the bone.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 14th, 2018, 5:50 am

Joshie23 wrote:So tell me..how do you quantify 'a suspicious looking vehicle'..?? You basically said what I said, in a lot more words.

I trust that this is in fact the police officer's area of expertise. It is his discretion on who looks or acts suspiciously, to do a spot check on while on the road. The vehicle and its occupants will be questioned/investigated and then the specifics of the law can determine how to move forward. Since the tint is now quantifiable, vehicle owners will know that they are safe wrt to this particular issue.
Last edited by maj. tom on September 14th, 2018, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

No_Name
Sweet on this forum

Postby No_Name » September 14th, 2018, 5:54 am

Joshie23 wrote:
skylinechild wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:

for example.....

Slow down skyline..slow down. Let me clarify, because apparently it wasn't clear enough. Snypaz was suggesting to let people use 20% tint, but stop vehicles that 'look suspicious'. So we had a problem with ambiguity such that any officer with cataracts, shades, a horning spouse etc. could say your tint was too dark. The law is in the process of being amended. No more ambiguity. You listed a number of quantifiable factors, that mitigate against, said ambiguity. So tell me..how do you quantify 'a suspicious looking vehicle'..?? You basically said what I said, in a lot more words.

Though I understand & tend to agree here, tru this entire thread no one has factored in the 20% for example, onna vehicle with a complete black / dark toned interior...

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 14th, 2018, 5:57 am

nick639v2 wrote:Sigh so soon come I'll have to rid of the 12%... It was a pretty good run
Because most glass is tinted between 15% and 25% by the manufacturer, the darkest tint film for the front side windows will likely be 40%-45%. For the rear it will be about 24%-26%.ImageImage

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 14th, 2018, 6:04 am

Meters are the only way to go no argument or discretion
is there a meter to work on front/rear glass ?

of course some vehicles with dark interior or glass sloping a particular way will always look darker
and well person skin tone as well...lol

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 14th, 2018, 6:23 am

What measures are in place for drivers who wish to verify whether their tint legal or not??

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 14th, 2018, 7:29 am

Joshie23 wrote:

bruh you cannot quantify a suspicious looking vehicle. there is no definite way to determine what constitutes a suspicious vehicle. it will have to be up to the officer to observe and detect a ticket able offense or stop & arrest an offender in the process of committing a crime.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 14th, 2018, 7:41 am

No_Name wrote:
Though I understand & tend to agree here, tru this entire thread no one has factored in the 20% for example, onna vehicle with a complete black / dark toned interior...

there is no need for "factor in " or cater for vehicles with dark interiors.

from my research into the issue theres 2 versions of meters.

one version has the meter \ fitted onto the glass....see above pics -- and it gives a measurement.
there are hand held calibration pieces of glass that come (pre treated with tint) with the unit to re calibrate if necessary while on the field.

the second version is the unit that works where the glass is fully up the meter is placed on the inside of the glass and direct sunlight is allowed to pass through. - of course the obvious flaw with this version is that it must be done in strong direct sunlight - ( so no early morning 6 am tests or late 6 pm tests or stopping under a flyover and getting tested ) also cloud cover may hamper the effectiveness of test.

just as the above version there is hand held calibration pieces of glass that come (pre treated with tint) with the unit to re calibrate if necessary while on the field.

pugboy wrote:Meters are the only way to go no argument or discretion
is there a meter to work on front/rear glass ?

of course some vehicles with dark interior or glass sloping a particular way will always look darker
and well person skin tone as well...lol

one meter doing both front and rear glass
see explanation above why interior color does not matter.

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:What measures are in place for drivers who wish to verify whether their tint legal or not??

excellent question shakes..... AFAIK none at this time- either buy your own meter.... use an app on ur phone and pray it accurate or when it becomes law wait till they stop you to find out.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 14th, 2018, 7:44 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:What measures are in place for drivers who wish to verify whether their tint legal or not??
You can estimate your own tint level with a smartphone meter. Get in, check the light level with window up, let the window down and check again. Compare the two with your calculator.

Laser tint meters are about US$50. Most of the tint shops that I have seen in the EU and US have them. I can't imagine that tint shops in Trinidad won't have them, too.

skylinechild wrote:
the second version is the unit that works where the glass is fully up the meter is placed on the inside of the glass and direct sunlight is allowed to pass through. - of course the obvious flaw with this version is that it must be done in strong direct sunlight - ( so no early morning 6 am tests or late 6 pm tests or stopping under a flyover and getting tested ) also cloud cover may hamper the effectiveness of test.

The test can be done with a lux meter and a flashlight. I wouldn't be surprised if some vehicle inspection stations begin to buy tint meters also.
Last edited by adnj on September 14th, 2018, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 14th, 2018, 7:52 am

adnj wrote:
You can estimate your own tint level with a smartphone meter. Get in, check the light level with window up, let the window down and check again. Compare the two with your calculator.

Laser tint meters are about US$50. Most of the tint shops that I have seen in the EU and US have them. I can't imagine that tint shops in Trinidad won't have them, too.

trust me... they dont.

in this day and age tint men still taking razor blades and scraping your glass to get the tint off and when they fcuk up your defroster grid they say either it was like dat before...it wasnt wukking or no guarantee on not damaging the grid --- proceed at your own expense.

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » September 14th, 2018, 7:54 am

maj. tom wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:So tell me..how do you quantify 'a suspicious looking vehicle'..?? You basically said what I said, in a lot more words.

I trust that this is in fact the police officer's area of expertise. It is his discretion on who looks or acts suspiciously, to do a spot check on while on the road. The vehicle and its occupants will be questioned/investigated and then the specifics of the law can determine how to move forward. Since the tint is now quantifiable, vehicle owners will know that they are safe wrt to this particular issue.

Thank you very much. You understand what I'm saying, unlike skylinechild over there.

skylinechild wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:

bruh you cannot quantify a suspicious looking vehicle. there is no definite way to determine what constitutes a suspicious vehicle. it will have to be up to the officer to observe and detect a ticket able offense or stop & arrest an offender in the process of committing a crime.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY!!

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 14th, 2018, 8:07 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:What about having each and every vehicle inspected wrt to tint using light meters...this would be done at the respective license offices...paperwork would be provided to the driver saying whether or not their tint is suitable...

Then one may say...I get the paperwork so take out the old tint and g5 in yuh mc...so have officers outfitted with the meters to make sure people doh try to beat the system

My 2 cents

I quoting meh ownself and saying it can be considered

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 14th, 2018, 8:10 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:What about having each and every vehicle inspected wrt to tint using light meters...this would be done at the respective license offices...paperwork would be provided to the driver saying whether or not their tint is suitable...

My 2 cents

I quoting meh ownself and saying it can be considered
Or your tint gets measured as part of your biennial vehicle inspection or initial registration.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 14th, 2018, 8:42 am

So how do they know if tint was changed ?
Them fellas who get tint ripped off does out it back the next day

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 14th, 2018, 8:59 am

pugboy wrote:So how do they know if tint was changed ?
Them fellas who get tint ripped off does out it back the next day

I admit as with everything else there are flaws in the system...my suggestion would be to outfit officers with meters to do the necessary...the paperwork would say one thing but the officer has every right to use the meter at his discretion...ent man does still get bend over even if they have the inspection sticker

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 14th, 2018, 9:26 am

Imagine this law when they start manufacturing cars with Smart Tint windows and LCD privacy glass to automatically adjust to sunlight and glare for optimal driving experience.

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » September 14th, 2018, 10:00 am

^^ Then it will be an additional TAX....

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 14th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Both my vehicles legal

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » September 14th, 2018, 7:07 pm

35 front, 20 rear is pretty standard, no issues with this

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 14th, 2018, 7:28 pm

eliteauto wrote:35 front, 20 rear is pretty standard, no issues with this

I have to check the correctivity of that statement.
I feel it's errorful.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”