TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

How often do you change/upgrade/buy your smartphone?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

How often do you change/upgrade/buy your smartphone?

As soon as the latest one comes out
2%
Every 12 months or so
11%
Every 24 months or so
30%
Every 3 years or so
31%
Other
26%

Total votes: 91

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: How often do you change/upgrade/buy your smartphone?

Postby black start » September 22nd, 2017, 5:04 pm

I change only when the old unit starts to be problematic...

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 22nd, 2017, 6:47 pm

rollingstock wrote:Sony k800i for many years, battery went bad, decided to get the flagship s3 at the time.
Pieceofshit phone, gave up on it after about a year.
In 2013 or early 14 decided to go back to Sony. Bought the new Xperia z2 for its waterproof capability and battery life. Still going strong.

For my outside women whatever the prisoners have on their person at that time.

Yuh does sanitize it after the vault or they like the as is scent?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » September 22nd, 2017, 7:07 pm

matix wrote:I have my iPhone 5 since 2012. Still going strong. Bought the SE and that's still new in the box. Lifeproof cases keeps the phone in flawless condition.

SE still new in box ? :D

I bet you have plastic on your sofa ..

And plastic in your 120 Y .. :D

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » September 22nd, 2017, 7:56 pm

skylinechild wrote:

Real nice phone.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 22nd, 2017, 8:08 pm

As needed. Still got an S2, and a iPhone 7. S2 started giving some charging issues recently though.

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » September 22nd, 2017, 8:42 pm

De Dragon wrote:As needed. Still got an S2, and a iPhone 7. S2 started giving some charging issues recently though.

Also got an S2 which is still smart enough for my needs but the original battery swelled up. Bought some generic replacement batteries from eBay but they discharge too quickly. Can you recommend any good alternatives?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 22nd, 2017, 8:46 pm

2ndchance wrote:
De Dragon wrote:As needed. Still got an S2, and a iPhone 7. S2 started giving some charging issues recently though.

Also got an S2 which is still smart enough for my needs but the original battery swelled up. Bought some generic replacement batteries from eBay but they discharge too quickly. Can you recommend any good alternatives?

Look for a branded battery like anker or powerbear instead of trying to find an "original" battery for a 5 year old phone

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » September 22nd, 2017, 9:13 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:
2ndchance wrote:

Look for a branded battery like anker or powerbear instead of trying to find an "original" battery for a 5 year old phone

Thanks for the advice. I saw this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00567Y7A6 but they seem to be scarce.
Seeing a Kastar on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Kastar-GT-I9100- ... B00TO85OT6
Do you know if Kastar is any good?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 22nd, 2017, 9:21 pm

Never heard of kastar. Check on eBay or anker or powerbear official websites for their battery. U rly can't go wrong with them. Battery life does be doubled sometimes.

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » September 22nd, 2017, 9:29 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:Never heard of kastar. Check on eBay or anker or powerbear official websites for their battery. U rly can't go wrong with them. Battery life does be doubled sometimes.

Will do. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 23rd, 2017, 12:38 am

I change my phone whenever it breaks, spend usually 1-2k. Not planning on spending any money as phones in that range could do quite alot.

i do quite a bit, i torrent episodes of my shows, youtube, facebook and whatsapp thats it. Not even email.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » September 23rd, 2017, 12:59 am

^^^

Still not sure ..

iphone 8 ( next week ) or iPhone X ( christmas )

Then I selling my iPhone 5 and iPhone 6

Real cheap and in excellent condition :D :D

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » September 23rd, 2017, 5:36 am

Had my Galaxy S4 up to earlier this year. Company upgraded from Nokia 520 to Huawei Nexus 6P so I'm rolling with that alone now....

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » September 23rd, 2017, 7:42 am

Still have my 5s , I know if I upgrade the IOS I’ll have battery issues and compatibility issues like apple purposely intends, so I guess it’s time to get a good phone like Samsung or Huawei.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » September 23rd, 2017, 10:57 am

I change my phone when it done.I decided to buy a flagship phone(Note 4) 2 years ago just to try it out and I use everything on it.I was in the hospital for a few days and the readings from the heart rate,SpO2 ,stress tests in S health were dead on with the hospitals equipment.The old battery got swollen about a month ago and I put in a new original battery yesterday and the phone working like new again.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 23rd, 2017, 11:21 am

Ben_spanna wrote:Still have my 5s , I know if I upgrade the IOS I’ll have battery issues and compatibility issues like apple purposely intends, so I guess it’s time to get a good phone like Samsung or Huawei.

The first few days after updating a phone OS the phone may feel sluggish and drain the battery quicker as the phone goes through the process of re-indexing the filing system and data. This becomes even slower when you have little free storage space on the phone.

Added to that, many apps are not updated and have not been optimized for the new OS and would also run sluggishly.

iOS is well known for running on older devices. Apple optimizes each installation based on the device you are installing the device on e.g. the installation file for iOS 11 on an iPad Pro has a lot more than that of an iPad Air 2. Similarly the install file for iOS 11 for an iPhone 5S different from that for a 7. Each is optimized for the device.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 23rd, 2017, 11:36 am

Upgraded my iPhone 6 from iOS 10 to 11
Last night

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » September 23rd, 2017, 11:41 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:Still have my 5s , I know if I upgrade the IOS I’ll have battery issues and compatibility issues like apple purposely intends, so I guess it’s time to get a good phone like Samsung or Huawei.

The first few days after updating a phone OS the phone may feel sluggish and drain the battery quicker as the phone goes through the process of re-indexing the filing system and data. This becomes even slower when you have little free storage space on the phone.

Added to that, many apps are not updated and have not been optimized for the new OS and would also run sluggishly.

iOS is well known for running on older devices. Apple optimizes each installation based on the device you are installing the device on e.g. the installation file for iOS 11 on an iPad Pro has a lot more than that of an iPad Air 2. Similarly the install file for iOS 11 for an iPhone 5S different from that for a 7. Each is optimized for the device.

Ios 11 on the ipad is truly a different feel as u said.

On iPhone 7 it isn’t as noticeable honestly

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 23rd, 2017, 12:16 pm

viedcht wrote:
skylinechild wrote:

Real nice phone.

why you say tha.... da phone now ..is crap the only thing it hav goin for it is d camera....and the amt of frequencies it can work on...other than tha...its tata... no apps...no software updates etc :|

if you wanna film ah local..then yes... ok....and it hav HDMI output on it too.... :lol: :lol:

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » September 23rd, 2017, 12:19 pm

skylinechild wrote:
viedcht wrote:
skylinechild wrote:

Real nice phone.

why you say tha.... da phone now ..is crap the only thing it hav goin for it is d camera....and the amt of frequencies it can work on...other than tha...its tata... no apps...no software updates etc :|

if you wanna film ah local..then yes... ok....and it hav HDMI output on it too.... :lol: :lol:

:lol:

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 23rd, 2017, 12:22 pm

10-01 wrote:

:lol: what...i tellin the truth..... :lol: :lol:

720p recording from a 6 yr old phone with additional camera stuff that can be bought and bolted onto the phone....

* clears throat... no officer i do not know how those videos ended up on my phone.........no officer i did not know she was 15 at that time..........no officer i do not know this young girl.....

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » September 23rd, 2017, 12:56 pm

skylinechild wrote:
viedcht wrote:
skylinechild wrote:

Real nice phone.

if you wanna film ah local..then yes... ok....and it hav HDMI output on it too....

Well in its time it was a nice phone... still have my old one

Jo3B3ard
Riding on 13's

Postby Jo3B3ard » September 24th, 2017, 4:30 am

Every 3 to 4 months, I usually sell my old one and upgrade it works out fairly cheap in the end.

rharripersad
Ricer

Postby rharripersad » September 24th, 2017, 6:22 am

I usually keep it till the new model comes out and trade in my old one at APSS and pay the difference for the new one.... last year I traded in my iPhone 6 and paid $2k for a new s7 edge and this year I looking to trade that in for a note 8..... This way I always have the latest smartphone while paying half the price or less.... and I need a smartphone because I use like most of the features

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » September 24th, 2017, 8:28 am

Took myself out of the craze for the latest phone when my Xperia Z was getting increasingly slower and was treated with a screen to floor @~50km/hr

Bought about 4-5 cheap android phones within a year.

Then decided to upgrade to something decent that can go the distance. Two family members had the Huawei P9 lite and wanted to get one around the same time but didn't.

Eventually got one and am happy with it.

I have a conspiracy theory that most phones are manufacturered to perform optimally for a Max of 2yrs. A way to influence consumers to purchase new phones....with the specs on current phones why would someone need a phone every two yrs due to performance issues?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 24th, 2017, 8:45 am

rharripersad wrote:I usually keep it till the new model comes out and trade in my old one at APSS and pay the difference for the new one.... last year I traded in my iPhone 6 and paid $2k for a new s7 edge and this year I looking to trade that in for a note 8..... This way I always have the latest smartphone while paying half the price or less.... and I need a smartphone because I use like most of the features
Tallist

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 24th, 2017, 9:11 am

The big problem with all these high end android phones is replacing the battery. Like the HTC One series for example you need to remove motherboard and all kinda assnes to get to that battery and even some technicians damage the phone in the process of getting the battery out

Iphones the battery is made simple to replace you need the heat gun still it is easier than many of the android phones.

I have a Nexus 4 that 70% of the screen not working but since I can't use phone in work I never bothered to fix this or replace it since it can answer a call.

whizzard
3NE 2NR for life

Postby whizzard » September 24th, 2017, 9:28 am

I think as people mature they realise that it's pointless to try keeping up. The same marketing used on car models are being used on phones. Why do you need the latest hardware to make a call, send an IM and take a pointless selfie or meal shot? The most basic phone does that now, the camera phone you were ogling 5 years ago is somehow no longer worth it, yet some newer phones are dialing back on megapixles.

Where I work they change iPhones every time one comes out, they're already salivating for the new one, but their needs would easily be met by an iPhone 4.

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » September 24th, 2017, 9:39 am

whizzard wrote:I think as people mature they realise that it's pointless to try keeping up. The same marketing used on car models are being used on phones. Why do you need the latest hardware to make a call, send an IM and take a pointless selfie or meal shot? The most basic phone does that now, the camera phone you were ogling 5 years ago is somehow no longer worth it, yet some newer phones are dialing back on megapixles.

Where I work they change iPhones every time one comes out, they're already salivating for the new one, but their needs would easily be met by an iPhone 4.

wher dou work do they hav vacancies ... i need a new i phone ..

speedist
Shifting into 6th

Postby speedist » September 24th, 2017, 9:45 am

Had an old nokia for about 5 years well in secondary school. Then finally bought a blackberry 9310 or whatever.
When samsung was all the rage I bought an s3 then an s4 back in 2014. Still have the s4 to this day just the battery need replacing now.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”