Forums

Express article on The Great Vehicle Rip-off $$

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Re: Express article on The Great Vehicle Rip-off $$

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 20th, 2017, 10:06 pm

just now man go be paying 10k ah mth for vehicle loan....I would never be one of them

Ibis Electronics
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ibis Electronics » October 20th, 2017, 11:24 pm

agent007 wrote:Hey guys, I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone who wishes to purchase a compact crossover SUV from now but most models available now IMO are not worth the exorbitant prices that the dealers are calling whether it’s the authorized franchise distributor or the alternative dealerships.

A brand new 2017 Xtrail Hybrid costed dealers as much as $200k landed and they sold them from as low as $220k to as high as $255k for the 2wd non Autech model.

For prices of these 2017 models to increase to $275k and for the refreshed 2018 model to be around $305-310k is borderline ridiculous! I understand from January 1st, these 2018 refresh Xtrails will be as high as $410k.

Meanwhile, Massy has increased the price of the fully loaded 2017 Xtrail 5 seater to $399k and the 7 seater to over $420k. The basic 2wd model use to be $263-270k now its $285k. Massy just got the 2018 refresh basic model which is now $339k. It is expected that the fully loaded 5 and 7 seater 2018 Xtrails would now cost $429k and $449k respectively.

So about the disrespect part, and please don’t take this the wrong way but there is absolutely no way anyone should pay over $400k for such a vehicle! If the Hybrid goes to the proposed $410k and the Massy version goes to the proposed $429k then I would stick to the Hybrid so I can avoid Massy at all costs.

In an unprecedented move, typically the Honda CRV was always a pricier vehicle than the Xtrail. Well look how we’ve lived to see that times have indeed changed. The 2018 Honda CRV RVSi 1.5T 2WD fully loaded is $359k (special intro price) where first customers will enjoy this price until it goes up to $379k. Buying the CRV over an Xtrail is now worth it.

$380k for a 1.5l CRV....
That seems reasonable to you ?

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » October 21st, 2017, 1:12 am

well as i have said from day one the leader of the pnm ,the imps want to create that clear cut divide between the rich and poor no middle class . and the black a$s get bribe with all he can play golf and a free hotel room. poor fella aint realise by the time it build the only way he entering the course is to collect other people balls.

so sufferers stop looking at cars,get back your donkey carts and bull carts while your tax paying dollars will be used pay the taxes on the v8 mustang and pay the imps to fcuk the nation.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 21st, 2017, 1:49 am

IBIS, sadly, when compared to an Xtrail it is but still out of reach for many salaried middle class folks.
Google just revealed to me that the Xtrail is also available in a 1.6T version so I’m thinking it would be really good price wise if Massy imports the 1.6 turbo to cut those taxes and price that Xtrail more affordable to the masses. Right now you can literally walk away with a Ford Kuga/Escape 1.5T awd for as low as $280k and don’t forget the Hyundai Tucson 1.6T as well which was priced at $239k for the starter 2wd fabric model.

ramorr
Ricer

Postby ramorr » October 21st, 2017, 6:04 am

Miss me with that BS Mr. President of the Automobile association. Your members already make huge profits on these vehicles and are only being opportunistic in making any extra u can off the poor man.

mayinde
Ricer

Postby mayinde » October 21st, 2017, 6:59 am

vaiostation wrote:If only we could build our own vehicles here...
We have too many unemployed engineers and technicians just wasting away...

I agree. But when Amar was trying to do that they thought he was mad and nobody supported him

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 21st, 2017, 7:08 am

agent007 wrote:IBIS, sadly, when compared to an Xtrail it is but still out of reach for many salaried middle class folks.
Google just revealed to me that the Xtrail is also available in a 1.6T version so I’m thinking it would be really good price wise if Massy imports the 1.6 turbo to cut those taxes and price that Xtrail more affordable to the masses. Right now you can literally walk away with a Ford Kuga/Escape 1.5T awd for as low as $280k and don’t forget the Hyundai Tucson 1.6T as well which was priced at $239k for the starter 2wd fabric model.

thwe problem is the availability of parts and competent techs.
you forget it MUCH easier to get parts for a new( or f used ) nissan / toyota / honda or mitsu....as opposed to ford chevy kia - insert lesser known brand here

yes we see ALL types of cars on our roads but the majority is JDM cars....and thats what cheap and economical and what ppl can AFFORD.

ramorr wrote:Miss me with that BS Mr. President of the Automobile association. Your members already make huge profits on these vehicles and are only being opportunistic in making any extra u can off the poor man.

dont forget the underhand tactics of rolling back mileage and selling stuff like floor mats and spare wheels and reverse cameras as "luxury trim" and making a killing on those items.

what about buying low grade cars and rolling bk d mileage doing a lil steam clean and power wash and changing all fluids and selling for twice the price ????

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 21st, 2017, 7:13 am

mayinde wrote:

I agree. But when Amar was trying to do that they thought he was mad and nobody supported him

why not try to create employment by setting up a car manufacturing plant and export cars to other regional markets - almost all - AFAIK - Caribbean countries use RHD cars...

why not contact nissan / toyota / subaru / mitsu etc and say ok lets build a plant here we'll help fund d cost to ship the components here from d manufacturer plant in japan to the assembly plant here and in return we'll take 1/2 the profits and also handle warranty work !!!!

create alot of jobs there. tech jobs work force jobs shipping jobs insurance jobs and most of all. generate income.

but nooo all we cud see is we need a new highway...

mayinde
Ricer

Postby mayinde » October 21st, 2017, 7:24 am

skylinechild wrote:
mayinde wrote:

why not try to create employment by setting up a car manufacturing plant and export cars to other regional markets - almost all - AFAIK - Caribbean countries use RHD cars...

why not contact nissan / toyota / subaru / mitsu etc and say ok lets build a plant here we'll help fund d cost to ship the components here from d manufacturer plant in japan to the assembly plant here and in return we'll take 1/2 the profits and also handle warranty work !!!!

create alot of jobs there. tech jobs work force jobs shipping jobs insurance jobs and most of all. generate income.

I fully agree. But it might be to late for us cause our labour cost so high they might not want to go that way

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 21st, 2017, 7:32 am

mayinde wrote:I fully agree. But it might be to late for us cause our labour cost so high they might not want to go that way

not necessarily eah.. alot of mechanisms can be put in place to cut costs -or incentives for industry - think tax breaks as well as getting into a previously unseen market for your commodity.

instead of the USA head dealership going ALLL the way to japan to get parts / training / tools / support for their customers as well as special customer cars - they cud come here.... !!!!

theres alot of jobs trinis cud do but trini ppl are

1 .lazy
2.dependent on govt handouts
3. everyone wants to be a govt contractor
4. everyone wants a "cut under d table"
5. no one wants to work hard

and IF youre NOT lazy NOT dependent on govt handouts NOT a govt contractor Dont do underhand business AND you work hard....you goin get rob or kill...

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 21st, 2017, 7:33 am

skylinechild wrote:
mayinde wrote:

It's still cheaper to make a car in the far east and ship here than construct a plant for a few thousand cars. The far east has the majority of rhd countries anyhows so to the manufacturers locating their plants in India, Malaysia, Thailand Australia etc makes sense.
You all really oversimplify the ability to attract FDI. In the US states bid to get car plants. It includes much more than saying let's build a plant for Toyota. Extraordinary Incentives and infrastructure need to be provided.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 21st, 2017, 7:43 am

And of course we would be importing the components to build the car....

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 21st, 2017, 7:54 am

Dizzy28 wrote:It's still cheaper to make a car in the far east and ship here than construct a plant for a few thousand cars.

The far east has the majority of rhd countries anyhows so to the manufacturers locating their plants in India, Malaysia, Thailand Australia etc makes sense.

You all really oversimplify the ability to attract FDI. In the US states bid to get car plants. It includes much more than saying let's build a plant for Toyota. Extraordinary Incentives and infrastructure need to be provided.

the part in blue - possibly it may be CHEAPER to build it there and ship it here but thats where incentives come into play. you tellin me an economist cant recommend policies be made to attract foreign investors ???

the part in red - really ??? dont think of where the country is on the globe (as there vs here) think where the product is needed. build here use here save on shipping costs.
anyway FYI - (simple google search )

Drive on the Left in;

Australia
Caribbean Islands*
Channel Islands
Cyprus
Japan
Hong Kong
India
Isle of Man
Ireland
Jamaica
Kenya
Malta
Malaysia
New Zealand
South Africa
Singapore
Thailand
UK

and in case you like pictures

in case you cant understand countries in blue drive on RHS - usa etc...countries in orange drive in LHS - see list above

part in purple - yes it not easy to do this - there is not magic wand to wave and poof - instant car plant - incentives and infrastructure is needed. ( ties in to the 1st point )

you think everything in pt lisas was built in one day or the infrastructure was done over time and policies made to bring foreign investors here.

do you know some of the stuff we manufacture in pt lisas we dont even use here - petro chemcials & fertilizers we export to generate income.

we can do the same with assembly plants....

so saying it cant be done without giving an iota of effort is dumb

its all about job creation and employing ppl to be skilled workmen / women

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 21st, 2017, 7:58 am

it boils down to this.....is either yuh have money or doh have......champagne taste but mauby money not cutting it this rounds...buy allyuh tiida and relax

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 21st, 2017, 8:01 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:it boils down to this.....is either yuh have money or doh have......champagne taste but mauby money not cutting it this rounds...buy allyuh tiida and relax

shakes yuh evil dred.... :lol: :lol:

sad but tru...
# not affected
my "ole car" jus appreciated in value when that budget was read :lol: :lol:

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 21st, 2017, 8:16 am

skylinechild wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:It's still cheaper to make a car in the far east and ship here than construct a plant for a few thousand cars.

The far east has the majority of rhd countries anyhows so to the manufacturers locating their plants in India, Malaysia, Thailand Australia etc makes sense.

the part in blue - possibly it may be CHEAPER to build it there and ship it here but thats where incentives come into play. you tellin me an economist cant recommend policies be made to attract foreign investors ???

the part in red - really ??? dont think of where the country is on the globe (as there vs here) think where the product is needed. build here use here save on shipping costs.
anyway FYI - (simple google search )

Drive on the Left in;

Australia
Caribbean Islands*
Channel Islands
Cyprus
Japan
Hong Kong
India
Isle of Man
Ireland
Jamaica
Kenya
Malta
Malaysia
New Zealand
South Africa
Singapore
Thailand
UK

and in case you like pictures
[img]http://www.rhinocarhire.com/CorporateSite/media/Blog-Images/Blog-2017/Countries-Drive-Left-or-Right.jpg[/img}

in case you cant understand countries in blue drive on RHS - usa etc...countries in orange drive in LHS - see list above

part in purple - yes it not easy to do this - there is not magic wand to wave and poof - instant car plant - incentives and infrastructure is needed. ( ties in to the 1st point )

you think everything in pt lisas was built in one day or the infrastructure was done over time and policies made to bring foreign investors here.

do you know some of the stuff we manufacture in pt lisas we dont even use here - petro chemcials & fertilizers we export to generate income.

we can do the same with assembly plants....

so saying it cant be done without giving an iota of effort is dumb

its all about job creation and employing ppl to be skilled workmen / women

All this fight down to be able to purchase a cheaper econobox!!

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 21st, 2017, 8:41 am

Didn’t Neal & Massy have an assembly line a little after Santa Rosa Heights, Arima some 30 or so years ago that closed down? Does anyone know the reason why?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 21st, 2017, 8:44 am

agent007 wrote:Didn’t Neal & Massy have an assembly line a little after Santa Rosa Heights, Arima some 30 or so years ago that closed down? Does anyone know the reason why?

Everyone did..... Mitsubishi was in
Laventille, Toyota in Las lomas. Then globalization and free trade happened

rmm
Riding on 13's

Postby rmm » October 21st, 2017, 9:20 am

Selling my massy xtrail PDE for 200k plus transfer. 355-7899

Sent from my E5633 using TriniTuner mobile app

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 21st, 2017, 9:29 am

skylinechild wrote:
mayinde wrote:

Hahahahhaha...

Build a plant? Sure but with Foreign workers right? Not trinis to fak it up. Assembled in trinidad? U want ppl get a heart attack. Dealerships cant even handle a basic service. They have the service standard and schedule to follow...they dont do it.....you think they going to handle the plant better? Nooo broooo nooooo its the culture.....and dont feel Toyota didnt think of it, they would have already done it if the caribbean labour force was attractive..

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » October 21st, 2017, 9:42 am

saw a FB ad today about the Kia Niro
if I was buying a hybrid I would choose the firm as the support and service of these are still new in TNT.

"The Kia Niro Hybrid has arrived in Trinidad & Tobago!! "

FB Ad
"Starting from $225,000, this vehicle has everything to offer to you and more!! It also hold the Guinness Book of Records for the best mileage in its class.

Some of the features include:
• 1.6L Gas/Electric Engine w/6-speedTransmission
• Push Start and Smart Key
• Touch Screen Radio with USB/Aux ports
• 6 Airbags
• Wireless Charger/Daytime Running Lights
• 18” Rims and Tyres
• Front & Rear Sensors with Reverse Camera
• Tyre Pressure Monitor System
• Blind Spot Detection System "

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 21st, 2017, 9:51 am

skylinechild wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:it boils down to this.....is either yuh have money or doh have......champagne taste but mauby money not cutting it this rounds...buy allyuh tiida and relax

shakes yuh evil dred.... :lol: :lol:

sad but tru...
# not affected
my "ole car" jus appreciated in value when that budget was read :lol: :lol:

which part of what I said is untrue??? :lol: :lol: it have real men out there who I could see paying at least 10k per month for a car loan and have they belly growling come lunch time....drinking the people lipton every hour until 4pm....a normal vehicle is a necessity to get you to and from...a "high end" car is a luxury and well something to say "ah reach" (only if you can afford it)...

by afford it, I mean, living very comfortable while owning it..

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 21st, 2017, 10:18 am

mitch1980 wrote:saw a FB ad today about the Kia Niro
if I was buying a hybrid I would choose the firm as the support and service of these are still new in TNT.

FB Ad
"Starting from $225,000, this vehicle has everything to offer to you and more!! It also hold the Guinness Book of Records for the best mileage in its class.

• 6 Airbags
• 18” Rims and Tyres

Lol @support from that firm

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » October 21st, 2017, 11:47 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
skylinechild wrote:

shakes yuh evil dred....

sad but tru...
# not affected
my "ole car" jus appreciated in value when that budget was read

which part of what I said is untrue??? it have real men out there who I could see paying at least 10k per month for a car loan and have they belly growling come lunch time....drinking the people lipton every hour until 4pm....a normal vehicle is a necessity to get you to and from...a "high end" car is a luxury and well something to say "ah reach" (only if you can afford it)...

by afford it, I mean, living very comfortable while owning it..

Lmao nah hoss how yuh so stink Yuh had certain men like when u buss the mark about drinking lipton to calm the stomach rumblings.

15devils
Trinituner Peong

Postby 15devils » October 21st, 2017, 2:59 pm

When i was looking for car in japan, the vehicles with low mileage was ridiculously expensive, the dealers in japan purposely looks for cars doing between 60000 to 100000, cause its cheaper. To buy a low mileage 2014 vehicle in japan is not feasible, best you just buy it brand new in tdad cause it costing close, but a "high mileage" unit , there is a huge price gap. The japan dealers do the rolling back one time. But srsly , working class people with decent jobs really cannot afford "middle class" cars anymore , with the new taxes its very limited to get a decent vehicle now, yuh cant even bring in a voxy/serena to work a lil taxi, them thing costing close to or over 200k

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 21st, 2017, 3:12 pm

15devils wrote:When i was looking for car in japan, the vehicles with low mileage was ridiculously expensive, the dealers in japan purposely looks for cars doing between 60000 to 100000, cause its cheaper. To buy a low mileage 2014 vehicle in japan is not feasible, best you just buy it brand new in tdad cause it costing close, but a "high mileage" unit , there is a huge price gap. The japan dealers do the rolling back one time. But srsly , working class people with decent jobs really cannot afford "middle class" cars anymore , with the new taxes its very limited to get a decent vehicle now, yuh cant even bring in a voxy/serena to work a lil taxi, them thing costing close to or over 200k

theres a law in japan which prevents them from rolling back the mileage once the vehicle is owned by them. my wording of the law may be a bit off

but theres the loop hole they cant tamper with the odometer once its owned by them once sold and deregistered from japan the buyer can request the odometer reading adjusted accordingly. and the seller can comply without any negative issues.

once car gets here no one checks paper work to seee the mileage when it was sold and mileage when it arrives here. all customs checks is chassis number is the same on car and on paper make and model and description is the same...person pays the prescribed feees...car is released to the owner / importer.

ingalook
Riding on 16's

Postby ingalook » October 21st, 2017, 6:50 pm

FB Ad

• 6 Airbags
• 18” Rims and Tyres

I had a better experience with Southern Sales than Massy... however to be fair nothing ever went wrong with the Rio... this is a good/fair price for this vehicle it sells for around 25-32k USD depending on how it is equipped

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » October 21st, 2017, 6:52 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:

FB Ad

• 6 Airbags
• 18” Rims and Tyres

X2. When it comes to support/service from that stealership, yuh go bawl.

ALIS
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ALIS » October 22nd, 2017, 12:03 am

skylinechild wrote:
15devils wrote:When i was looking for car in japan, the vehicles with low mileage was ridiculously expensive, the dealers in japan purposely looks for cars doing between 60000 to 100000, cause its cheaper. To buy a low mileage 2014 vehicle in japan is not feasible, best you just buy it brand new in tdad cause it costing close, but a "high mileage" unit , there is a huge price gap. The japan dealers do the rolling back one time. But srsly , working class people with decent jobs really cannot afford "middle class" cars anymore , with the new taxes its very limited to get a decent vehicle now, yuh cant even bring in a voxy/serena to work a lil taxi, them thing costing close to or over 200k

theres a law in japan which prevents them from rolling back the mileage once the vehicle is owned by them. my wording of the law may be a bit off

but theres the loop hole they cant tamper with the odometer once its owned by them once sold and deregistered from japan the buyer can request the odometer reading adjusted accordingly. and the seller can comply without any negative issues.

once car gets here no one checks paper work to seee the mileage when it was sold and mileage when it arrives here. all customs checks is chassis number is the same on car and on paper make and model and description is the same...person pays the prescribed feees...car is released to the owner / importer.

The powers that be here not interested in that...

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » October 22nd, 2017, 10:37 am

Country_Bookie wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:

FB Ad

• 6 Airbags
• 18” Rims and Tyres

X2. When it comes to support/service from that stealership, yuh go bawl.

understood had toyota corollas and now hilux over 16 years .....never made it past 10,000km service on all 3 vehicles
but the unknowns with the hybrid cars rather take a chance with the firm rather than a RollonRolloff dealer in trinidad

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”