Forums

Brace For Very High Grocery Prices

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Brace For Very High Grocery Prices

Postby bluefete » October 19th, 2017, 6:59 pm

I was told today, by someone who works for a leading food importer, that by the end of October 2017, people will be facing grocery price increases of 30-50%. (Just in time for Christmas).

Today, X-TRA Foods raised the price of Moo milk to almost $12.00.

Prices are going up on butter, cheese and everything else.

Salaries staying the same.

Imbert unaffected cause he is a multi-zillionnaire.

But why am I concerned? Trinbagonians do not care.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Brace For Very High Grocery Prices

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 19th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Earlier this year the price of the moo milk was $9 now its $12 in the same grocery. However up by me it jumped from $10 to $12

I am NOT buying it. Will just buy the powder milk instead heck we really doh need milk we supposed to be drinking coffee and tea without milk.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 19th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Hot pepper, a single hot pepper is $ 1.50 up from $ 1.00 earlier this year and $ 0.50 last year...and yeah that is part of the "buy local" basket.

Could just imagine what gonna happen to imported products... :|

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 19th, 2017, 7:36 pm

hydroep wrote:Hot pepper, a single hot pepper is $ 1.50 up from $ 1.00 earlier this year and $ 0.50 last year...and yeah that is part of the "buy local" basket.

with the floods that royally freaking up farmers, that is to be expected

watch how things gonna jump like hell this week

yesterday and today floods gonna firetruck up people november/december crops

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » October 19th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Probably that is why dey buying the water cannon.

Implementing IMF policies without going to the IMF while telling people to behave otherwise we going to the IMF.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 19th, 2017, 9:10 pm

And men inside here was doubting when I said it would happen...zetski et all ah bunch ah cyats....

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 19th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Condoms gone up from $15 to $30 ..

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 19th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Between last month and thus month the butter I buy increased 7 bucks forvthe small size. A 22%increase. I switched brands.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 19th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Between last month and thus month the butter I buy increased 7 bucks for the small size. A 22%increase. I switched brands.

Kerrygold (454grams / 1 ib) is $50.00 in X-TRA Foods (before the increase) and $35.00 in PriceSmart (before the increase).

BTW - There are 3 brands of butter in T&T - Kerrygold, Anchor and Milkana (which I do not see anymore).

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 19th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Funny how the higher the grocery prices get the longer the lines, car parks ram pack etc

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 19th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Between last month and thus month the butter I buy increased 7 bucks forvthe small size. A 22%increase. I switched brands.

So why so much butter ?

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » October 19th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Good to see people keeping track and doing what consumers should do, switch brands where necessary. Some ppl blindly shop and just put stuff in the cart because it's the brand they accustomed buying then when u reach by the cashier shocked by the total.

Normally I would buy radiante soap powder over breeze unless the grocery has a special on breeze, but last week notice radiante reach the same price as breeze $105 for the largest bag hmph..

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 19th, 2017, 10:21 pm

For the last week you seeing ppl real watching prices and putting back down items in the groceries.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 19th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Drea wrote:Good to see people keeping track and doing what consumers should do, switch brands where necessary. Some ppl blindly shop and just put stuff in the cart because it's the brand they accustomed buying then when u reach by the cashier shocked by the total.

Normally I would buy radiante soap powder over breeze unless the grocery has a special on breeze, but last week notice radiante reach the same price as breeze $105 for the largest bag hmph..

Ole Gringo what happen to you ?

You can get laundry detergent for $20 in the big plastic bottle .

So for $105 you can get 5 8-)

De wife on holiday ?

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » October 19th, 2017, 10:46 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Earlier this year the price of the moo milk was $9 now its $12 in the same grocery. However up by me it jumped from $10 to $12

I am NOT buying it. Will just buy the powder milk instead heck we really doh need milk we supposed to be drinking coffee and tea without milk.

Both of those "milk" products are severely overpriced to begin with. Milk has been on a steady decrease for a number of years.
Powdered milk is pretty much considered an unwanted by-product in developed countries(it is rarely consumed and only used for food production(Ready- made meals etc)) and well Moo(UHT) has very little nutritional value. The high temperature process pretty much kills all the nutrients needed in milk. Nestle (reconstituted) isn't actually real milk...It's milk that is made into powdered skim milk that is then made back into liquid milk by adding water etc...In the end you are pretty much over-paying for shat either way.

BTW....Jamaica produces and sells en masse fresh cow's milk. It's only pasteurised and bottled. Now that is supporting local. Oh and it only costs about 50 cents usd per litre.
Last edited by Redress10 on October 19th, 2017, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » October 19th, 2017, 10:48 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:And men inside here was doubting when I said it would happen...zetski et all ah bunch ah cyats....

Is not a political thing. There is serious price gouging that is taking place on the local market. Our food import bill is not high. The suppliers are not selling the goods at a high price, it's the mark ups that are exorbitant.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » October 19th, 2017, 10:49 pm

hydroep wrote:Hot pepper, a single hot pepper is $ 1.50 up from $ 1.00 earlier this year and $ 0.50 last year...and yeah that is part of the "buy local" basket.

Why would import prices increase? The only reason is due to price gouging...There is nothing on the international market that is affecting the price of food right now etc. Let's be smart here. We need to hold our local suppliers to account.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » October 19th, 2017, 11:00 pm

Milk is a very very very cheap commodity. Don't be fooled.

Milk is now cheaper than water in Germany

Grocery stores in Germany, like popular supermarket Aldi, are selling milk for 52 cents a liter (which comes out to less than two dollars a gallon). That means farmers are making around 20 cents a liter, less than half of what they were making in 2013. The surplus of milk is the result of several different factors, Munchies reports: Russia no longer imports the beverage, the demand for milk from Western sources has dropped in China and the European Union ended its quotas on milk last year. This situation is also what is, in part, behind the cheese surplus in the U.S.

https://www.tastingtable.com/drinks/nat ... ry-farming

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » October 20th, 2017, 1:36 am

Import prices would only increase due to a change in exchange rate which the govt kinda artificially keeping stable atm. The" importer " u spoke to on sheit and probably trying to capitalize on the diesel increase.

fouljuice
Shifting into 6th

Postby fouljuice » October 20th, 2017, 2:48 am

Some of ollour should brace for very high grocery prices from now, so you can afford your +$3000 g-string or jockey shorts with colorful sequins for February.

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » October 20th, 2017, 2:56 am

fouljuice wrote:Some of ollour should brace for very high grocery prices from now, so you can afford your +$3000 g-string or jockey shorts with colorful sequins for February.
Lol bro u living in the 90's or wha? a carnival costume is bordering 10,000

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 20th, 2017, 5:16 am

Male costumes are around 3k

fouljuice
Shifting into 6th

Postby fouljuice » October 20th, 2017, 6:19 am

male+female
3000 for d jockey/g-string,

female
additional 3000 for 4 piece of decorated duct-tape to put over nipples in the shape of an X ($750 a piece)

optional
3000 for the rubber band with shining dust (headpiece)

I only drinking tap water and eating crix from now until February.
On my lucky days I will eat one 20 fuh plenty from Subway for the whole day.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 20th, 2017, 6:51 am

Redress10 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:And men inside here was doubting when I said it would happen...zetski et all ah bunch ah cyats....

Is not a political thing. There is serious price gouging that is taking place on the local market. Our food import bill is not high. The suppliers are not selling the goods at a high price, it's the mark ups that are exorbitant.

obviously it's price gouging...but ask the people the reason for the mark ups...first thing they quick to say is cost of fuel went up, which increases transportation costs...There is no business in Trinidad that is willing to absorb extra cost...consumers would feel everything..

Just wait until people reach the hardware, is real pain for people who going to start building new homes

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » October 20th, 2017, 7:12 am

While the exchange rate hasn't officially changed companies are having to do other things to buy the us to pay suppliers. Buy way in advance, buy with credit cards at additional costs. Then they can only get so much so have to buy less. So supply and demand if there's less of a commodity (their product) the price will go up.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 20th, 2017, 7:26 am

RedVEVO wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:Between last month and thus month the butter I buy increased 7 bucks forvthe small size. A 22%increase. I switched brands.

So why so much butter ?

Divali

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 20th, 2017, 7:32 am

bluefete wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:Between last month and thus month the butter I buy increased 7 bucks for the small size. A 22%increase. I switched brands.

Kerrygold (454grams / 1 ib) is $50.00 in X-TRA Foods (before the increase) and $35.00 in PriceSmart (before the increase).

BTW - There are 3 brands of butter in T&T - Kerrygold, Anchor and Milkana (which I do not see anymore).

Massy isn't cheap and Massy has most butter and margarines cheaper than Xtra foods albeit by a dollar or two.

Another thing I have noticed is that for the past three weeks there has been an absence of imported veges like Brussel sprouts, bell peppers etc in Massy Pricemart and Xtra foods. When your not eating meat there is only so much baigan and bodi you can tolerate. But I had to tolerate it. B

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 20th, 2017, 7:32 am

pete wrote:While the exchange rate hasn't officially changed companies are having to do other things to buy the us to pay suppliers. Buy way in advance, buy with credit cards at additional costs. Then they can only get so much so have to buy less. So supply and demand if there's less of a commodity (their product) the price will go up.

Exactly. Businesses now paying $8 and up for USD. The banks also capping how much usd you can spend a month on credit card plus adding on fees when you spend USD. Real flabbergastery.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » October 20th, 2017, 8:15 am

Well after Smellbutt has to pay $55 MILLION to E. ELias for legal costs I don't know about how much millionz he go haff nah!

bluefete wrote:I was told today, by someone who works for a leading food importer, that by the end of October 2017, people will be facing grocery price increases of 30-50%. (Just in time for Christmas).

Today, X-TRA Foods raised the price of Moo milk to almost $12.00.

Prices are going up on butter, cheese and everything else.

Salaries staying the same.

Imbert unaffected cause he is a multi-zillionnaire.

But why am I concerned? Trinbagonians do not care.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 20th, 2017, 10:00 am

Redress10 wrote:

Why would import prices increase? The only reason is due to price gouging...There is nothing on the international market that is affecting the price of food right now etc. Let's be smart here. We need to hold our local suppliers to account.

How else will they build their mansions and drive their Range?

Is the Consumer Affairs Division doing anything?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”