TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

4-10yr old BMW really THAT expensive to maintain?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

4-10yr old BMW really THAT expensive to maintain?

Postby Ben_spanna » January 15th, 2018, 9:16 am

Just looking for some honest feedback .
Been considering a used BMW between 4-6 years old , but have been hearing from a few people that the downfall of the BMWs locally is the extremely HIGH costs of servicing and parts.
Anyone has any first hand experience that supports such a claim or dismisses it?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: 4-10yr old BMW really THAT expensive to maintain?

Postby MaxPower » January 15th, 2018, 9:22 am

Bennybee, if you must buy a Euro, better to buy it new if you can. Dont risk the headache.

Almost all euros are expensive to maintain.

U dont think the average Rajeshwar would love to drive a lil ole beemer to make ppl think he have money?

But na, he cant afford to maintain it so they settle for Tiida.

But yes, BMW parts are expensive on the hole

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 15th, 2018, 9:44 am

yup parts real expensive

even online they expensive

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » January 15th, 2018, 10:08 am

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » January 15th, 2018, 11:03 am

Parts are durable but the cost is verry expensive, and as max power said all euros are expensive to maintain basically you can’t get away from it if u plan on owning one.

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » January 15th, 2018, 11:15 am

There are a few bmw forums, might be worth a look. You can get info by model wrt to common repairs. I would say stay away from those made around 2005. Sometime around then Germany insisted on a certain percentage of the car being biodegradable.... this resulted in some electrical wire degrading and causing faults. The other issue is US suppliers stock for LHD vehicles. Do your research.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 15th, 2018, 11:23 am

ent moonilal say high end vehicles does get sick after 2 or 3 years so you hadda replace them lol

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » January 15th, 2018, 11:35 am

buy a BMX

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » January 15th, 2018, 11:43 am

Toyota men going to love this post..

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » January 15th, 2018, 11:50 am

Don't waste De money brother...
Parts gonna be too expensive...
Save yuh money and get a slightly used roll on roll off...
Less headache, more driving, more money saved...

However I suppose you could buy it, if you know how to fix cars and source the parts yourself...

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 15th, 2018, 1:04 pm

I think it depends on a lot of factors.
A lot of folks don't follow the right maintenance schedule and end up having do fork out more money for repair costs.
If you want a BMW, try to locate a local used version with proper maintenance records that would give you a fair idea about how it was taken care of. Those records would also give you a fair idea of what ownership would cost over a few years.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » January 15th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Yes they are expensive to maintain ... but not many cars drives drives like a BMW or a Mercedes.

Here's a couple factors to consider.

1. Sourcing the parts yourself is a good idea. OEM BMW parts are expensive.
2. Wait until the LCI models are out. They tend to have less issues that the new models.
3. Personally, I'd go with a well maintained local used. Not sure about the RoRo models and their service history.
4. Find a reasonable up to date euro mechanic. The firms usually screw you over.

Have said all that, if it's a used BMW you want, go for it. A BMW is a driver's car. Know that something might break, and have a budget for repairs. And most of all, enjoy the experience of driving one of the best engineered vehicle you can find.

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » January 15th, 2018, 2:33 pm

if its the euro experience you want to try, get a low cost simple euro. I had an Octavia for 5 years and it was the cheapest car to maintain. parts at sterling was super cheap. it required basic maintenance. if you want to go bmw, make sure you get a dealer serviced car. check the maintenance history, carry a car guru with you when you are buying. there are many key things to look at before you buy a used bmw.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » January 15th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Many local used euros are being sold because the owner does not want to spend the money for what is either needed or will need replacing within a year or so as recomended by the manufacturer.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » January 15th, 2018, 4:58 pm

SR wrote:Many local used euros are being sold because the owner does not want to spend the money for what is either needed or will need replacing within a year or so as recomended by the manufacturer.

I really noticed a trend of ghuntas rolling around in 90's-early 2000's BMWs/Benz inno
Cut spring and chrome rims kinda ting.

They probably getting it cheap. But we go see what go happen when parts go bad

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » January 15th, 2018, 5:00 pm

also dont fall for the "boss is just a lil sensor need changing" scam. some euros have massive issues. the present owner just blames it on a cheap sensor. when u think u buy a good deal u really have crap

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » January 15th, 2018, 5:21 pm

All euro after 5 years and out of dealer service........ especially if you have to buy parts locally thru the dealor

computercentral
Trinituner Peong

Postby computercentral » January 15th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Had a e39 520i beautiful car might even say sexy car . That being said I tried to be proactive but couldn’t keep up . Things you don’t expect to go wrong do , change the oxygen sensor in the exhaust , mechanic said it only carries 4 went to a popular euro parts shop in chaguanas thinking how expensive could it be 2495$ for one hope this help. One day car didn’t start no tumbling paid a wrecker to pick up went to popular euro mechanic in couva he have real experience and tools said the key bad . Went to dealership ordered a replacement key 1 month later and 6k the car worked

Mamoo-G
Riding on 13's

Postby Mamoo-G » January 15th, 2018, 5:39 pm

520i is really a nice car. How bout putting something nissan-ish under the bonnet to solve d engine problems? And wrt other parts going bad, is it that bad?

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » January 15th, 2018, 6:38 pm

First hand experience the electronics start failing then problems engine itself is good but somehow the electronic sys fails ..failure in the electonics starts like a viral infection..it where i first learnt the term ""limp mode""

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » January 15th, 2018, 6:45 pm

So why are they rated so highly when they can be termed expensive junk that's worthless after 5 years?

Allyuh buss my Audi A4 B8 bubble dey

But on a real most cars expensive to maintain......if you go with original parts for the most part
Last edited by Morpheus on January 15th, 2018, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 15th, 2018, 6:48 pm

I have owned quite a few of them and never had major problems. Only once I nearly got a heart attack when my X6 couldn't start and the firm gave me a list of parts and labour totalling around $150 g. I told them I would bring in the parts which would cut the bill to less than half. Top Gear ended up charging Around $4500 . Working perfect up to today.
They said the vehicles has a defect where the plastic housing that has all the control modules ,gets clogged with leaves and floods all the ECUs . In the end it was only one of the pins at the plug at the top of the in-tank fuel pump. A new pump solved the problem ,but it could have been repaired .

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » January 15th, 2018, 6:54 pm

i did a detailed post on this sometime two year ago..currently own both a Audi and BMW (both 2006 circa cars)...will find and repost.

But to sum it up... BMW is more expensive on the long term than the VAG group cars (Audi/VW/Octavia).

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » January 15th, 2018, 7:01 pm

found it: i copied/paste...so pull what you want from the write-up. NOthing much has changed since that write up.....no i lie... the head unit in the BMW needed replacement. And replaced a transmission as the rebuild cost was the same as replacement.

Integral to the discussion. I own both. 2006 models. both for 5 years (as of 2018). My opinion.

BMW 320 E90 Issues.
    Door locks will go. Driver-side first.
    Engine will need a full replacement of seals and gaskets. Also any plumbing related to the oil delivery system. The N46 engine is notorious for leaking oil. Better you change teh pulleys as well once you scrap down the engine
    (not my car but other owners) complained about the E90-92 transmission giving Mechatronic issues.
    In Car Entertainment: Budget for a Head unit. CD player will give issues after a while.
    Top radiator connection cracks. you will have to replace the radiator and all hoses.
    If over 100k change timing belt and pulleys.
    Rear shocks replaced. Front end control arm bushings replaced.
    Car comes with no spare. And run-flats are too expensive in this frigging country. Solution? pay for run flats or take a TCM membership.

Have the firmware in the car upgraded. Other than what i've experienced since ownership. Car is a good car. solid on the road. dependable A-B transporter. I'd suggest in doing your research and finding a good mechanic. I'd suggest a few but it would be biased.

Audi A4 B7 Issues.
[list=]Cooling plumbing. Once one part starts to dry rot, replace all the elements in the system.
Suspension Bushings go quicker than most. Budget for a full set.
Front control arm bushings.
On or before 100k..change the timing belt and all pulleys.
Diverter and PCV valves will fail. upgrade.
Coil-packs will misfire. replace.
I've replaced my A/C compressor. Twice. Never had that issue with the BMW.
Owners with the Automatic Transmission complain of a "RPM surge" between gear changes.
Stock turbo. No issues. If you modifying. pack yuh pocket. its not a cheap conversion.[/list]

Car Comparison in general.
Comfort levels of both. About the same. it comes down to personal choice. Ride is a bit more solid in the BMW. both cars take a considerable amount of "sun" and four years in neither headliner has dropped. luggage space is more in the Audi than the BMW. Sound system is worlds apart. Audi taking win in that department (the S-Line Bose system is divine...).

The BMW windscreen molding dry rots faster than the Audi's.. coming to think if it ia ma yet to replace those. but i have in the BMW (both front and rear windscreen rubbers).

Driving position: BMW has more options, but personally the Audi's steering response is better than the BMW.

BMW gives you more comprehensive check-codes on the dash.. even down to low tyre pressures and oil levels. Audi not so much.

I use the BMW for UBERin. Been getting only smiles and compliments from passengers. Mainly due the rear seat passenger space. Audi is less. uncomfortably so. Also with the BMW, disengaging the front airbag for use of a child seat requires you to flip a switch in the glove-box. With the Audi its on the driver side - ease of use. Audi. Child safety locks work great on both, disabling both window and door latch controls.

I've heard ppl say that the B7 is the best model of the a4's to own.. haven't driven the latest model. I have a relative with a F30 and the only issue he's encountered in the 4 years he's had it is the O2 sensors giving bad readings and he had to replace them under warranty.

Car parts? Go with ERM Automotive. For stuff like bearings check United Bearings in Barataria. There's also a decent parts place on Charles Street in Port of Spain. And you'll be surprised just how affordable some of the basic maintenance stuff is. Mechs will tell you that BMW requires specific tools that most mechanics wont invest in if they dot have a high turn around of BMW's in their shop. hence me telling you find a BMW mech to do the work.

racedriverpro wrote:
.... BMW service such as simple oil change I have heard requires replacement of the entire sump pan (don't quote me on that)

- this is BS. lol.. But the Sump pan gasket is NOTORIOUS for leaking.

Oil + filter- BMW - $420 per service.
Oil + filter - Audi - $380 per service.

Battery for BMW: $1500-2200 depending on where you go as you need the safety terminal. Battery is located in the trunk.
Batter for Audi: $700 (Pricesmart). downside? position of battery in engine bay. Its like surgery to get it in.

i've run both fuel types in both cars. BMW takes both and says "pfft"... Audi, being turbo, shows marked difference in performance.

So it really comes down to your preference. If you going with the E90 though have your mech thoroughly check that engine for early signs of seal and gasket failure.

But as A172 said... That is based on the E90/B7 comparison.

Check out the euro page. lots of discussion there. Oh one more thing. Have you VIN's close at hand. We have the 2.0 N46 which isnt popular in the states. So ordering parts "outside" will be a pain unless you give them you VIN number. Same with the Audi. Unless you getting an S-Line with a 2.0T have that VIN close at hand. Quick tip: the b6 and B7 platforms share the same running gear (engine/suspension/braking... not the transmission tho) so ask for the B6 parts and it works just as well.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » January 15th, 2018, 8:37 pm

LoL was actually going to PM you BAN man.

Will take a read

EDIT: Good read. Going and lurk in the Euro forum a bit

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » January 15th, 2018, 8:53 pm

All my vehicles are euro ........ :)

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » January 16th, 2018, 5:47 am

ruffneck_12 wrote:buy a BMX

:lol:

No one will notice because iz only a one letter difference?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 16th, 2018, 5:51 am

My euro working just fine.

Jah bless the cortina

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » January 16th, 2018, 9:42 am

no major issues with a 6 year old tiguan - major change was two abs sensors

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » January 16th, 2018, 4:07 pm

I have seen two old bmw (old ones with dual circle lights) with rb25 inside.
Imo cheaper to just swap engine/trans and order body/misc parts online.
I hear some horror stories of local euro dealerships and their lack of skills in diagnosing issues with vehicles correctly, ordering wrong parts etc.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”